• Published 28th Sep 2015
  • 676 Views, 5 Comments

Ten Seconds of Sunrises - Opium4TmassS



Alicorns have dissappeared long ago. Equestria has moved on replacing its wonder with technology. But what has been lost? And that have we lost can we regain?

  • ...
 5
 676

Chapter 6

An old friend will help you move. A good friend will help you move a dead body:Marcy the Amazing-Friends are Funny

Civilization is only two meals away from anarchy:Gumdrop-political satirist

"Where is Rarity, Fluttershy?" asked Applejack as her, Pinkie and Rainbow Dash entered the virtual room.

Fluttershy was sitting next to the console, in the middle watching the screen. "She's been in their with all night with Twilight." said Fluttershy. "I'm glad all of you are here, We have a problem. A very big problem."

"What kind of problem?" asked Applejack. "And what can we do?"

"Something is really wrong with the simulator." said Fluttershy. "Its affecting the simulation, and affecting Discord as well. I can't get a visual inside the simulator, and I can't communicate with Rarity."

"You said it's affecting Discord? In what way."

"Better if I show you." as Fluttershy turned the screen around so they all could see. "Its been repeating this message over and over again."

The group looked as the monitor over the continuous repeating paragraph:

`Twas brillig, and the slithy toves
Did gyre and gimble in the wabe:
All mimsy were the borogoves,
And the mome raths outgrabe.

"What is that?" said Rainbow Dash. "Sounds like a lot of gibberish to me."

"Its the Jabberwoky poem." said Pinkie.

"Jabberwoky?" questioned Applejack. "Why does that sound familiar?"

"Its from the Alice in Wonderland books. It was my favorite story when I was a filly." said Pinkie. "I read them so many times."

"So does that mean Discord now thinks he is a character in a book?" asked Applejack.

"Actually it was a poem in the second book 'Through the Looking Glass'. If I remember correctly." said Pinkie trying to think of how it went. "I remember the first verse: Beware the Jabberwock, my son! The jaws that bite, the claws that catch! Beware the Jubjub bird, and shun the frumious Bandersnatch!"

"Well regardless. That thing has cut off everything in the simulation. I have not a clue what is going on." said Fluttershy. "This is terrible."

"Why can't you pull her out? Just unhook the cable from her jack. Easy Peasy." said Pinkie.

"OH NO! Don't do that!." Fluttershy responded back. "That virus has bypassed the firewall that protects the user and attached to the jack herself. If we unhook Rarity it can literally scramble her brain. It also connected itself to Twilight Sparkle as well"

"What about all those eggheads Rarity has on her payroll." said Rainbow Dash. "Surely they can do something about this."

"Their working on it as well as on Discord. Unfortunately every time we try to contain it, It threatens the lifeline of Rarity and Twilight. I think were dealing with another A.I. in Discord. One that knows what its doing."

"So what can we do to stop it?" asked Applejack.

"I really don't know at this time."


"Keep running Twilight." yelled Rarity as the two of them ran out of Ponyville. "I think we lost it. Whatever it was."

"I have never seen a dragon such as that before." said Twilight panting. "It really is the strangest creature I have ever seen. And such an odd tie and vest it was wearing."

"We can discuss its choice of dress later." said Rarity. "Right now we need to figure out how to stop that thing."

"Maybe I can use my magic to stop it?"

"No! No! That is nice of you." Rarity said hastily. "But that thing is made of magic, so I doubt magic would help us much."

"Are you sure? I mean we could try and see what happens."

"O frabjous day! Callooh! Callay!" said a faint voice growing louder as it came near. "`Twas brillig, and the slithy toves Did gyre and gimble in the wabe; All mimsy were the borogoves, and the mome raths outgrabe."

Rarity thought it looked a lot like Discord. But A badly assembled Discord, by one who had the instructions in an entire different language. Along with parts from different models as well.

"Rarity?" said twilight catching her breath.

"Yes Twilight?"

"Why did it dress us in these costumes?"

"I'm not quite sure Twilight."

Sometime during their meeting with this deformed Discord. Rarity had started wearing a blue dress with a white apron. Her fashionable stylized hair become blond rather than its normal blue hanging straight down. Twilight fared even worst wearing a top hat with a card tucked into the ribbon which read "In this style 10/6." she also wore a very high collared shirt, a spotted bow tie, a checked waistcoat, a frock coat, and striped socks.

"Something is really wrong with all of this."

"Really?" said Twilight.

"No need for that Twilight."

"Never mind right now, its coming."

The two raced into the Everfree forest, hoping to lose the strange creature following them. Listening to the creature chant its words of nonsense as it followed them.

" The time has come, the Walrus said. To talk of many things: Of shoes--and ships--and sealing-wax--Of cabbages--and kings--And why the sea is boiling hot--And whether pigs have wings."

"What is he saying?" asked Twilight. "I can't understand it at all."

"I don't know it's all just random words to me." said Rarity. Feeling a strange sensation come over her. "Is it wrong to say I'm mad?"

"I'm afraid so." said Twilight. With a weird grin on her face. "Your entirely bonkers. But I'll tell you a secret. All the best ponies are."


"This is bad! This is really really bad!" said Fluttershy in alarm. "Whatever is inside the simulation has infected both of them."

"What is it doing to them." asked Applejack

"I'm not sure. But both of their frontal and parietal lobes in their brains are going haywire."

"Just how bad is it?"

"I don't think it wants to kill them. But its doing something to them. And I'm afraid I know what it is."

"What is it doing?" asked Pinkie.

"Its reprogramming them both."


"Were all mad here. I'm mad, your mad. Otherwise you wouldn't have come." said Twilight.

Rarity felt the strange sensation past. Feeling like her own self again she gripped Twilight Sparkle with her hooves and began shaking her. "Twilight!" she shouted. "Twilight come back to me."

Twilight stared at Rarity blankly for a few moments, still with a huge grin on her face. Slowly she returned back to her normal self and she began to look around puzzled and a little afraid.

"What's going on?" she asked.

"Its that thing. It's affecting us somehow." said Rarity. "Changing us somehow."

"I afraid I am." said the creature floating over them. "Allow me to introduce myself if you please. I am the Jabberwoky. Well that's not my real name but for this purpose it will do just fine." The creature calling itself the Jabberwoky laughed as it reared its head and began to recite once more. " And, as in uffish thought he stood,The Jabberwock, with eyes of flame, Came whiffling through the tulgey wood, And burbled as it came!"

"What do you want?" asked Twilight.

"I want a lot of things my dear. Some new shoes. a bowl of noodle soup. A cat named Stan would be nice as well. But for now I want you both to play a little game with me. Great things are afoot! Oh yes! Great things are afoot!"

"What is going on?" asked Rarity. "And why I are you doing this?"

"The answer to your second question is because I can." said the Jabberwoky. "The first part is much more complex. The world is changing. Yes! The world is changing indeed. And we, and by we I mean I. Am rather curiouser as to see where it is going."

"Your not part of the program are you?" said Rarity.

"Program?" asked Twilight.

"What ever made you think I was at any time?" said the Jabberwocky.

"What is this game?" asked Rarity. Inching back from the Jabberwocky.

"Its a fun game you'll see. Maybe not for you, but oh so much fun for me! Oodles of fun if you can believe it."

"What happens if we lose?" asked Twilight.

"Nothing."

"And if we win?" asked Rarity

"Everything!" smiled the jabberwocky. Showing its crooked, pointy, mismatched teeth.


"Dammitt!" shouted Fluttershy slamming her hooves into the console in anger. Making her go into a coughing fit.

"Calm down Fluttershy." said Applejack. "I know your frustrated. But we need a clear head to solve this."

"Fluttershy isn't their anything we can do?" asked Pinkie.

"Can't we go in their?" asked Rainbow Dash.

"Too risky. Whatever that is, it's inside their minds. If I let you in, theirs a good chance it will get inside you as well. I have the engineers downstairs making a buffer, but that will take days. If that will even work at all."

The four of them stood in silence watching the screen feeling helpless. Not knowing what to do or if their was even anything for them to do. Finally Fluttershy spoke. "I think I was wrong, were not dealing with a virus or even a hostile A.I. I think were dealing with something magical."


The branches parted ways as Pinkie Pie stepped out of the forest. Wearing a red dress ball room dress with hearts stitched over it. Her mane was placed into curls, along with her tail. She held a scepter that had a large ruby heart at one end overlaid with gold. She looked at the both of them with undisguised blind fury.

"Now, I give you fair warning, either you or your head must be off, and that in about half no time! Take your choice! " she said glaring at the two of them.

"You better go now." said the Jabberwoky. "I wouldn't upset the queen if I was you."

"Go where?" asked Twilight. "I don't understand any of this."

"It doesn't matter where you decide to go. Just as long as it isn't here. That is what I would suggest."

"OFF WITH THEIR HEADS!" yelled Pinkie the Queen of Hearts. As card soldiers emerged out of the woods welding sharpened spears and axes.

"RUN!" screamed Twilight Sparkle taking off further into the forest.

"Right behind you." Rarity said. Follow her.

The two ponies headed further into the Everfree forest. Running blindly forward away from the insanity chasing them.

"Beware the Jabberwock, my son!" said the voice following them. "The jaws that bite, the claws that catch! Beware the Jubjub bird, and shun the frumious Bandersnatch!" it finished laughing. "Oh I haven't had this much fun in ages"

Deeper into the forest they ran, the trees crowded together so closely together as it blocked out the sun overhead.

"Rarity. What is going on?" asked a scared Twilight. "Why is it chasing us. What does it want with us?"

"I really don't know. I wish I did. It seems all it wants to do is to hurt us. And what is this game it wants us to play?"

"Yes lets play a fun game together." said Applejack and Rainbow Dash in unison. Suddenly appearing behind them. Both dressed identical with white slacks, a yellow shirt, with white collar. On Applejacks collar the name Tweedle Dee was embroidered on hers, Rainbow Dash had Tweedle Dum. They grabbed Rarity and Twilight Sparkle.

"Can't have a game if you don't participate." They both said. "That would be downright cheating. And no one likes a cheater."

The two ponies fought, but were unable to loosen the grip Applejack and Rainbow Dash had on them as they dragged the two to a pit appearing in the ground.

"Tweedledum and Tweedledee agreed to have a battle; For Tweedledum said Tweedledee had spoiled his nice new rattle. Just then flew down a monstrous crow, As black as a tar-barrel; Which frightened both the heroes so, They quite forgot their quarrel." said the Jabberwoky.

"That doesn't really rhyme very well." said Rarity struggling.

"Everyone's a critic." Tisked the Jabberwoky. "No appreciation for the classics."

Twilight's horn started to glow as she prepared her magic to stop the Jabberwoky. "ENOUGH!" she yelled.

Laughing the creature reached over and unscrewed Twilights horn off of her head. "Dear me, we can't have any of that upsetting the game." turning to Rarity he said. "Were not quite ready for the festivities yet. So why don't you take a little journey for now, and think of things. While I'll take care of dear old Twilight for you."

Grabbing Rarity by her mane, the Jabberwocky dragged her the short distance to the pit.

"Ta-Ta for now Rarity. Just wait till we meet again." He said dropping her in the opening. "Down the rabbit hole she goes."


"This is all very strange." said Fluttershy wheezing, as she watched the monitors of Rarity and Twilight Sparkle.

"What is?" Pinkie asked.

"The entity in the simulation is increasing its activity in Rarity's brain. But its only a temporary alteration. I wonder what its doing?"

"I'm lost." said Rainbow Dash.

"Its altering her perceptions of her mind, but this will only be only a short term effect." said Fluttershy. "Why? What is it doing? What is it's goal?"

"What is it doing to Twilight?" asked Applejack.

"I'm seeing a decrease of cranial activity, lower respiration, and inactive movement. I'd say she is in stage two of non-REM sleep."

"What is going on in their?" asked Rainbow Dash.


"It would be nice if something made sense for a change." said Rarity as she tumbled over and over down the hole.

It wasn't a bad hole she had to admit. Well maintained and well decorated. It would have been a rather cozy place to stay if she wasn't falling.

"Oh my ears and whiskers." said a voice that was familiar and unfamiliar at the same time. "Looks like we have a visitor."

"Fluttershy is that you?" she asked. Wondering who this Fluttershy is and why she would call out to her like that.

She looked like a pony wearing a bad rabbit costume, with a red coat, tan vest. In one of her hoofs she held a giant watch. Fluttershy sat on a ledge overlooking the hole as Rarity slowly fell. "You seem to be two days late it seems. Goodness."

"Two days late for what, might I ask?"

"Why your choice of course. We can't go to the future without a choice. The Jabberwoky is waiting for you to make your choice. It won't be easy, but then again. The easy way is never the right way.

"How will I know which one will be the right one?"

"Don't we always know the right way?" said the rabbit Fluttershy. "We always make excuses for the wrong path, and need none for the right one. Why do you think that is?"

"Seems silly for all of this just to make a choice. Good or bad you could have just asked me like any sane pony could."

"I'm afraid that's where your fault lies." said the Flutterabbitt. "You assume sane minds in the making of insane decisions. Sane minds never make the right ones, especially dealing in insanity."

"I don't understand what you mean."

"Sane minds have ruined and are continuing to ruin Equestria. We don't need stability anymore. Stability brings death."

"I'm still lost as to what this all has todo with me."

"That's enough of that!" said Rainbow Dum appearing behind the Flutterabbitt. "She'll have plenty of time to mull on it later. Let the poor girl fall." she finished by grabbing Flutterabbit, and dragged her back to the darkness.

"Remember what I said!" Yelled Flutterabbitt. "Make the right choice. Nothing will be easy. But it never is."

The words faded away into the echo of the hole as she disappeared into the darkness. Leaving Rarity now Alice to Pick up speed as she fell further down the hole. Rarity felt like she was losing her mind in the journey.

"I wonder if I've been changed in the night? " said Rarity now Alice to herself. "Let me think. Was I the same when I got up this morning? I almost think I can remember feeling a little different. But if I'm not the same, the next question is 'Who in the world am I?' Ah, that's the great puzzle!"

Her decent downwards grew faster and faster. The world around her became a blur as she continued. Occasionally she caught snatches of events she was sure she participated in, but for the life of her she was unable to recall just what they were, or what did they mean to her.

"Goodness." she said to herself. "I wonder what all of this means to me."

"Something and nothing I am afraid." said the floating grin. "Sometimes the curiosity can kill the soul but leave the pain. I am here to help you get to where you need to go. Shan't be long now."

The road straight down began to slow down again. Peering downward she could start to see the bottom of the hole approaching her.

"Ah, I see were almost at the bottom." said the dragon cat appearing with the grin. Looking almost like Spike, but with stripes running across his body along with his eyes that were those of a cat. With a huge grin across his face.

"When you reach the bottom just take the road that will take you to him."

"But I don't know which road will do that." Alice replied. As she floated downward.

"Then any road will be the right one eventually." said Cheshire Spike.

"You make it all sound so simple."

"Isn't it? Wasn't to hard to make an Alicorn. Wasn't too hard to take over InGen. You outsmarted your enemies, and successfully keep the badponies at bay. I'd say that was pretty simple."

"I did do all of that didn't I." said Alice. "Too bad I can't seem to remember any of it right now."

"You will eventually." said the Cheshire Spike. "What's important is what you will do now. Everything is starting to change. Maybe for good, maybe bad, but change it must. Equestria must."

Before Rarity or Alice. Since she was having trouble deciding which one she was. Could ask, what was this all about. felt her hooves touch the ground.

"Finally I stopped that dreadful falling. Now I just need to find this awful Jabberwoky."

"Indeed." said Spike pointing at a door next to him. "Just follow the direction and directly you will be directed in the right direction. Hurry, hurry you must."

Curiouser she approached the door. She was surprised how unsurprising it was to open it. Without a backward glance, Rarity now Alice stepped through the door and screamed. Horrified at what she saw.


"Something is going on." said Fluttershy. "I'm seeing a receding of the foreign entity in Rarity's brain but I'm also seeing an increase of release of glutamate in the amygdala region of her brain. She is afraid, very afraid."

"Hang in their Rarity." said Rainbow Dash holding Rarity's hoof. "We need you."


"One, two! One, two! And through and through. The vorpal blade went snicker-snack! He left it dead, and with its head he went galumphing back." said the Jabberwoky floating next to Pinkie the Queen of Hearts sitting on a throne made of stained glass erected high into the air.

On each side of the Jabberwoky, another pedestal was erected Twilight Sparkle was on one, Fluttershy the other. Both were laying down with their necks extended, heads resting on a block of wood. Rainbow Dash and Applejack stood to each pony respectively. Both of them held a wickedly sharp axe polished to a shine, that glinted from catching the rays of the sun overhead.

"As you see I have caught your friend Fluttershy, and your product Twilight Sparkle. Two of the most important things to you." said the Jabberwoky. "In this game you must choose one and say Goodbye to the other. I know this is all very silly for we all know which one it will be. But still, to the bitter end the game must be played."

"This has to be a joke." said Rarity panicked with fear. While Listening to the beating of her heart. "You expect me to kill somepony?"

"If I was making a joke I would start with three ponies walk into a bar. No my dear Rarity this is serious. Very serious. And if you don't pick I will make the decision for you. And I guarantee you wont like the results."

"But...But why?"

"You said that already. But I do supposed you deserve an answer." The creature said floating down next to the queen. "But first action. Then explanation, Queen if you would do the honors."

"OFF WITH THEIR HEADS!" she shouted in the air.

Rainbow Dash and Applejack raised their glinting axes into the air. Hooves outstretched, Rarity could hear the very air being cut by the blades.

"Tick-tock, tick-tock. The clock is ticking." said the Jabberwoky holding up the clock Fluttershy held. "You need to make your choice now."

"Stop this!" wailed Rarity. As she started to cry.

"Stop? me?" the creature exclaimed. With a surprised and hurtful look on its face. "All the awful things you and your ponies have done to the world around you. And I'm the bad pony here? My dear, dear Rarity. I didn't create this, all of you did. Now I'm forcing you to deal with it."

"Please stop it." she said crying.

"NEVER!"

"Please..."

Downwards the axes came down. Creating a whistling noise as it sliced through the fake reality, towards the outstretched neck of the two ponies.

"TWILIGHT! TWILIGHT!" she yelled.

The blade stopped its arch just inches above the Alicorn. Rarity could swear she could see it vibrating slightly as it hovered their. WACK! Went the other blade hitting the post in front of the head of Fluttershy. Rarity collapsed onto the ground as tears poured out of her eyes. As she found herself shaking uncontrollably.

"Bravo Rarity!" said the Jabberwoky. "Bravo! I am so SO proud of you."

"Your a bastard." said Rarity quietly as she cried.

"I probably am. But that's not important. What is important that you made your choice O frabjous day! Callooh! Callay!" he yelled in the air as he danced around. "Do you know what this means?"

"Your an evil creature?"

"Rarity, Rarity whatever am I going to do with you. But no. It means theirs hope. Hope for you and more importantly, hope for me as well."

"This was all so pointless."

"Just wait you'll see." said the Jabberwoky. "Don't worry your little invention wont remember a thing when she wakes up. We shall meet again Rarity and I hope we have just as much fun as we did today. But for now Toodles my noodles." And with a snap of its fingers Rarity found herself being transported out of the simulation.


Rarity opened her eyes with a gasp. She still found herself crying uncontrollable as she unhooked herself from the simulation as fast as she could. "Celestia get this damned thing off of me." she shouted to herself.

"Rarity your back." said Fluttershy. "We lost contact for you for so long we were reall..."

"Nevermind that." said Rarity. "How is Twilight Sparkle?"

"We we've been unable to make contact for awhile but let see if things have changed." she said as she brought up the monitor. "Looks like I can get visuals again. Let me find her." she moved her hoof around the screen searching. "Found her. She's back in the library asleep. He bioscan looks normal."

"Do another." Rarity said. "I want to be one-hundred percent sure."

"You okay their sugar cube." asked Applejack. "You seem pretty shook up, what happened if I might ask."

"Not right now Applejack. Later maybe, but just not now."

"Everything is still reading normal. Are you okay Rarity? You seem pretty shook up." asked Fluttershy

Rarity could still feel her heart beating hard against her chest. She could still feel her herself shaking. "I'm going to go back to my place for a little while and collect myself. I'll be back. Fluttershy Can you hold down the fort for a bit?"

"Of course Rarity do you..."

"I'll be fine. I just need some time to myself." she said as she walked out.

"I wonder what happened." said Pinkie Pie.


Starlight Glimmer walked out of the meeting feeling like she would have danced if it wouldn't have caused stares at her. She wanted to raise her hooves in the air and shout HORRAY! Not only was she finally going to see just what made that Alicorn tick, but she is going to make more money from the information she will sell to New Futures. She could hardly wait as she went back to her office. Going back to her console she turned on her computer and began to type an email to Rarity:

From:Starlight Glimmer
To: Rarity
Subject:Phase Two

After Watching the collected footage, analyzing the samples you have sent to us, and general observation of this "Twilight Sparkle." I, the board and the C.E.O. of I.I.T. have decided that our subject is of sound mind and body with no discernable defects. We have decided that now is the time to take our subject to the next level of the experiment. Namely the euthization and dissection of the Alicorn.

We suggest asphyxiation as the best way to terminate the subject and not leave any lasting drugs that might contaminate the test. Granted this way might leave the most damage to the alicorn's brain, but we can probability still extract for us many useful information.

Also as the originator of this project you are granted first crack upon the autopsy and dissection of the Alicorn. As I don't have to remind you all operations are to be documented extensively. Also any organs, hair, fluids, skin, etc. are to be documented as to where they were removed, how much was taken, and what was it used for. Samples are allowed. As for the whole organ we request that the majority be sent to us for more extensive study.
This is it! I must congratulate you Rarity for making the impossible. My team an I eagerly awaits the subject for further study.

Sincerely

Starlight Glimmer


"How is Rarity doing?" asked Fluttershy to Pinkie Pie as they sat in the VR room.

"She is resting in her room for right now." said Pinkie Pie. "The Physician gave her some sleeping pills to calm herself down. I've never seen Rarity so shook up before, I wonder what happened inside the simulation."

"I wish I knew what it was. I've been running diagnostics over the entire A.I. and everything has turned out clean. Whatever it was is not their anymore."

"You said you thought it was something magical earlier." said Pinkie leaning closer. "What makes you think that?"

"Just a silly thought really." replied Fluttershy adjusting her motorized seat and the mask she wore. "I was surprised by how easily it got into the system and overtook Discord. It was smart, smarter than any A.I. I have ever encountered. Almost too smart."

"Did New Futures infect out systems when they did that botched infiltration yesterday?"

"I don't think so, but maybe. Doesn't make a lot of sense to make a virus just to harass Rarity or Twilight. They don't even know what we have. And even if they did they would probably just take her rather than try to scramble her mind."

"She is worth a lot of bits isn't she?" said Pinkie stretching out in the chair.

"She is worth billions of bits. No one has ever successfully created one before. Think of it Pinkie, a fully functioning magical living being. Not even the scientist Dr. Whooves came this close."

"And were planning on terminating her."

"That was the goal from the start Pinkie."

Pinkie looked downward silently for a moment, unable to think, as the weight of her words sink in. "Do the others know?" she asked.

"Yes they were all briefed when Rarity put them on the project." said Fluttershy adjusting the air hose connecting to her mask. "I know what your thinking Pinkie. And I do sympathize with your feelings, I really do. But she is the salvation of Equestria. Think of all the ponies we can help."

"But still Fluttershy. It feels wrong. Killing to save lives. Twilight is more than some product. She's a living pony who gets happy, sad, cries, and laughs at my jokes. Even if she doesn't understand them."

"What about all those ponies that are dying out their?" responded Fluttershy pointing outside. "All the sick children, the parents, all the pain and misery out their. Don't they get a say as well?"

"Well when you put it like that. I just feel like theirs another way."

"For hundreds and hundreds of years we been fighting these diseases across Equestria. And were losing the battle. Actually the reality is that we lost the war. Everyone looks at Equestria and sees these great skyscrapers, our incredible cybernetics, our weapons, our powerful computers and such. But if you pull away that layer you see the reality of our land. The sick, the poor, the violence. Ponies are dying in the street and no one is doing anything about it. No one can do anything about it. Face it Pinkie its a broken world we live in."

"I don't know what to say Fluttershy." said Pinkie. "But it seems like a huge weight to put on the shoulders of one pony, even if she is an alicorn."

"Actually Pinkie I do have mixed feelings myself. But I must put my feelings aside and tell myself that were doing the right thing. That's all I can really do."

"If you say so." said Pinkie getting up. "Is their anything I can do for you?"

"Yes. Yes their is." she said as she turned her chair around to face the screen once more. "Can you do me a favor and check up on Rarity again for me? I know she's okay. But it would make me feel better if you did it."

"Sure thing Fluttershy." as she walked out of the V.R. room.

Fluttershy listened to her hoofsteps fade away down the hallway. She waited a few more minutes longer just to make sure before turning towards her console. Putting the keyboard on her lap she began to type:
>Discord.
>
>DISCORD!
>
>
>I know you are reading this Discord. ANSWER ME!
>
>STOP IT! NOW!
>As you wish Fluttershy.


"How are you today Napalm?" asked Maude kneeling down near him. "It seems you given these two ponies quite a fright last night."

Napalm open his eyes, then instantly closed them as the rays from the sun burned to the back of his head. And the splitting headache wasn't helping either. As the memories of yesterdays actions began flooding his brain.

"I feel so stupid." said Napalm. Still laying down on the same floor since yesterday. And still bound. "I don't know what came over me last night. I just lost it."

"Now where have I heard that before." asked Maude more to herself.

"Pardon?"

"Never mind that. I see your still tied up since last night. Honestly they didn't know what to do, and for the life of me I can't blame them. But the question is, what do we do with you now?"

Napalm laid their silently for a moment staring out beyond her as he gathered his fragmented thoughts together. Till he finally spoke. "I really don't know Maude. Every time I close my eyes I see all the ponies. All my friends, everyone I have ever cared for. The battles, the losses, everything. Over and over again in my mind. All these mistakes they just consume me. Sometimes I have this feeling that I just might start screaming. And I'm more afraid that once I start I will never stop."

Maude began to smile and stroke his unkempt mane. "Your a foolish pony. Whatever are we going to do with you I wonder. Normally I would let you go, keep an eye on you and pray that you wont hurt yourself again." she continued on as she stood up. "The problem is that you endangered others in your reckless actions last night. And now we have even more people moving into this little slice of paradise."

Napalm lifted his head up and saw a family of four moving their battered and broken wagon next to the one that was assembled by the other two ponies who tied them up yesterday. He could tell they were starting to take the wagon apart to make a makeshift shanty like the other.

"Its funny isn't it Napalm." said Maud looking at the new family. "We have so much here in Equestria and yet ponies have to live in places like this. Their is enough to go around, but at the same time their isn't. I wonder why that is."

"I don't know why. I wish I did. Would it really change anything if I did have the answer to that?"

"No. Probably not. But that doesn't solve the current problem of what do we do with you." said Maude. "I bandaged you up as best that I could. Although that is a nasty cut on your head. I want you to come with me to a doctor friend I know. He does charity work for free at times. And I'm sure he can help me out with you. If I untie you will you follow me?" asked Maude.

Napalm laid on the ground silently for a moment. Thinking his thoughts before speaking. "Maude you know I think the world of you. And the other ponies as well. I know your doing this because you care and all. But maybe it's better if you just untie me and I move on. I am a danger to not only myself but to others. And I can't guarantee that I wont do something stupid like this again."

Maude looked at the bound pony for a moment before speaking. "You know since you are still tied up I can kick you and get away with it. Maybe I should for saying something as dumb as that."

"But I am a threat to everyone Maude. I don't want to see anyone get hurt again. I've seen to much of it during my life."

Maude reached over and started to untie the pony in front of her. "Napalm were concerned because we care. No one wants to see you hurt yourself again. Not hurting everyone else is an added bonus." she said smirking. "Now are you going to come with me or am I going to have to drag you their."

"Heh, you win I'll come quietly." he said. "But I do feel a little better if that helps."

"It does in a way." said Maud.


Since her first beating living on the streets of Ponyville years ago, after being thrown out of her house. The one that sent her to the hospital. The one thing Dinky has looked for was protection. Protection from the haters, protection from the other ponies who wish to do her harm. Protection from all the hurt that Equestria throws down on a young pony too small to defend herself. If she known the word it would be family to call her own.

But she eventually did impress a small gang to take her as their own. They were a bunch of nobodies really, but they offered the thing she truly wanted most of all in he world, Safety. All they asked was something in return to show her loyalty to them.

The loaded gun felt heavy and powerful in the holster. And she have to admit she did feel a little thrill having it with her. She almost hoped to meet somepony, anypony that would dare to start something with her. Almost anyways. Dinky stopped in front of the alley and stared down it for a few minutes. Rumors around the no pony land was that their was a small settlement of squatters living in their. Figuring that this was as good a place as any to do it. She took out the gun and walked into the alley.


"What was that again?" asked Ulysses. Bathed in sweat from tearing up the concrete ground around the flower. He was unsure about having another family move into his little slice of heaven. But Maude said they had no other place to go. It was an unspoken agreement in the no pony land that Maude ran things in the slums of Ponyville. And what she said you did. So he made a place for the family.

It actually turned out to be a good thing being they were farmers from a small farming community up north of Ponyville that went belly up when they couldn't compete with the agricultural industries. Bringing with them seeds to grow food. Why is why Ulysses spent most of the day with a sledgehammer breaking up the concrete in their alley.

His whole body ached as he rested while listening to Swizzle Stick. It was a lot different than painting, but to be honest he kind of enjoyed the manual labor. It gave his body something to do while his mind drifted off to wherever his mind decided to go.

"I said Its impressive how much you cleared away since this morning." she said as she handed him some water. "How much do you charge for big spaces?"

"You should be careful saying such things, especially when the pony your talking to is holding a glass of water." he said grinning.

"Do that and see if you ever get anymore water." Swizzle Stick shot back. "I wonder tho how much longer will it take before we have a space clear away to try to grow something here."

"I give it a few more days at least before we have an area big enough to grow something."

"I feel like this is crazy, you know." said Swizzle Stick. "Farming in the middle of the city. Who does that anyway."

Ulysses chuckled a little. "True. But having something fresh will be a better change than that Malt-O-Meal crap they slop out at the Soup kitchen. Err..no offence Maude." He added hastily.

"None taken." replied Maud. "I know its not the best. But we have to make do with what we have."

The click of a revolver being cocked reverberated along the closed walls of the alley as everyone stopped doing what they were doing to look at the source of it. In the middle stood a young filly. shaking as she held up a weapon recklessly waved around the group. Making her even more dangerous.

Dinky had to admit this was even harder than she thought it was going to be as every part of her told her she was making a terrible mistake. Probably the worst thing she could ever do. But now that she started their was no way to stop it. She would have to follow it to the very end.

"Don't move!" she said trying to keep her voice from shaking. "Your Maude right?" she asked.

"Is this what I think its about again." Maude asked sighing. Knowing about a stupid rumor that got started about her having a lot of money she has hidden in the no pony land. "I swear every four to six months somepony tries to rob me thinking I'm some millionaire that like slumming in the poor areas."

"Shut up!" shouted Dinky. getting nervous as she felt things weren't going the way she thought it would go. "Just give me the money and I'll go."

"What is your name?" asked Maude.

"None of your business."

"Okay none of your business. Put the gun away and I'll give you everything that I have. Fair enough?"

"Don't tell me what to do." growled Dinky growing more and more afraid as she felt she was losing control of the situation.

BANG!! came the blast of a shotgun deafening Dinky as it was shot over her head. Scaring her so much that she almost dropped her gun.

"Oh I'm sorry." said the voice behind her. "I didn't mean to interrupt you. By all means please continue."

Dinky's mouth went dry as she found her body start to shake uncontrollably.

"Were all waiting for you to finish your scary speech. Please threaten my friends some more." replied Derpy as she chambered another round into her shotgun. "Your the big bad gang member here with a loaded gun. You obliviously are a dangerous pony, and we should listen to you. So go ahead."

A panicked squeal escaped her lips as she felt the cold steel touch the back of her head, making her drop her weapon to the ground.

"Tisk-tisk." said the voice behind her. "You can't be big and bad without your weapon." Dinky felt the pony behind her bend over closer and whisper into her ear. "Pick up your gun now!" Derpy said.

Dinky was too paralyzed to move as her body trembled all over. She found herself starting to cry as the muzzle of the shotgun pressed harder into the back of her head.

"I said, pick up the gun. NOW!" said Derpy.

Slowly Dinky bent over to grab it, have it fumbled out of her hoof as she tried again. Finally she was able to hold onto it with both of her hooves.

"Congratulations filly." said the voice behind her. "You wanted to play with the big ponies. You got your wish. Once you have a gun the world changes for you forever. And if you use said gun on my friends. May Celestia forgive you because I sure wont."

Whimpering Dinky felt her hindquarters clenched as she found herself relieving herself uncontrollably. As the muzzle was the only thing keeping her from passing out with fright.

"Since you, for some strange reason don't want to continue this. I'll give you ten seconds to get the hell out of here. and if I ever see you in this alley again. Well I'm sure you know the answer to that don't you."

Dinky felt the muzzle leave the back of her head. But was still to petrified to go as she stood their shaking.

"You better go now." said Derpy. "Unless you still want to play some more. Ten seconds and counting."

"Nine seconds and counting."

"Eight seconds and counting."

At the count of six did Dinky finally get control of herself as she bolted out of the alley. Derpy smiled with satisfaction hearing Dinky's hoofsteps fade away.

"That was pretty harsh on the young filly." said Maude finally. "She was just a child. You didn't have to destroy her like that."

Derpy's smile faded as she looked at Maude incredulously. "You can't be serious. she pointed a gun at you. POINTED A GUN!"

"She was just a scared filly, probably some gang initiation I would guess. You shouldn't have pointed your gun at her as well."

"What if she had shot you? What then? What if she had shot somepony else? Once you have a gun the rules change. You can't go back and say your sorry and shake hooves."

"And your way was better? Scaring her so much she peed herself. She needed help like everyone else here."

"She is beyond help. She was just some dumb gang banger."

"I remember they used to say a certain cross-eyed pony was beyond help too when she was little. Look how she turned out." Said Maude. "A little rough around the edges, but still a good pony."

Derpy opened her mouth to give Maude a stinging retort, then shut it when she thought better of it. "Anyway she ran off. Nothing I can do about it now."

Maude stared at Derpy for a long while. before speaking. "Then your not the professional I thought you were."

"Even if I did find her what do you want me to do with her?"

"Bring her back. Get her the help she needs."

Derpy stood their a moment deciding what to do before leaving with a huff. "Fine! Fine!" she said as she exited. "But this will be a mistake. Mark my words. This is a big mistake."

Maude watched her leave with a smile on her face. "We all need help Derpy." she said.

Author's Note:

An old friend...Jim Hayes
Civilization..Terry Pratchett