• Published 28th Sep 2015
  • 676 Views, 5 Comments

Ten Seconds of Sunrises - Opium4TmassS



Alicorns have dissappeared long ago. Equestria has moved on replacing its wonder with technology. But what has been lost? And that have we lost can we regain?

  • ...
 5
 676

Chapter 3

There are questions that we wouldn't be able to get over if we weren't by our nature set free from them:SkyFire the Wise-Book of the Unseen knowledge.

It is said that when Grundel the Conqueror reached the end of Equestria he wept. Not for all the atrocities he had committed but because their was no one left for him to fight:Professor KiwiStar-Conquest of Equestria by the Western Tribes.

Faster than the speed of light is the speed of thought. Traveling throughout billions upon billions of neurons lain across the brain. Sending, receiving. processing information everywhere and nowhere. Giving an everything to the pony it was encased in. Creating a personality, creating a soul. As images, conversations, feelings, and memories were etched into places were they needed to be across lands of wrapped organic matter.

Long walks under a moonlit sky, parents reading a bedtime story to you, schoolwork, Your older brother.What was his name again? Oh yes!Shining Armor teasing you by grabbing Mr. Smarty pants away from you so roughly it made her lose on of her eyes. And the apologies afterwards after seeing the damage he did, and the hurt that was cause. Being personally invited by Princess.... Her name escapes me, I know it, what was it again? Princess Celestia? Yes Princess Celestia!for advanced studies, sending me to Ponyville to learn this friendship.Wait is that right? Something just doesn't feel..Just arriving in yesterday, making your way to the library with your assistant Spike your baby dragon you had with your since you hatched him, oh so long ago.Really? It just...just doesn't feel right somehow....I..I don't know.

"She's having trouble accepting the memories." said a voice working its way through the darkness.

"Who is that? Can you tell me what is going on?"

"I don't see why we have to implant these memories into her at all Fluttershy. Seems like a waste of time and energy for such a short period." said another voice

"Fluttershy? Who is Fluttershy? Can somebody tell me what is happening?"

"Well Rarity. Working without a base set of references. Our subject would be left with an infant like personality, maybe even worse than that. This will age the subject with experiences giving her an advanced starting point. And please don't smoke in the lab."

"I don't understand any of this can someone please explain to me? Please!"

"Duly noted. But it seems we are creating undue stress on the subject, almost to the point of a mental breakdown. It wouldn't help either if we turn her brain into putty."

"Can you hear me? All I want is some help. Answer me please."

"Well we can try to bypass the hippocampus and directly reconstruct the memories into the frontal lobe, its riskier but the subject should have an easier time accepting."

"Do it."

"Please will someone talk to me and tell me what is going on? I'm scared and confused, and I just want some answers. I just moved to Ponyville and my name is....

"Twilight Sparkle?"

Twilight Sparkle opened her eyes to the world around her. It was a voice that had awakened her asleep in the bed in the library. Library definition: a building or room containing a collection of books or periodicals. You had just moved into the library with Spike last night.

"Twilight Sparkle?" said the pony calling from downstairs. "Are you up yet?"

"Fluttershy is that you?" she said groggily, shaking the cobwebs out of her mind.

"Oh you know my name?" said Fluttershy taken aback. "I don't remember telling you it."

"No you didn't...it's just...I can't seem to remember were I...You know what never mind. I'm sure I probably heard it or seen you somewhere." seeing Fluttershy's nervousness, and didn't want to make a big deal over something that was probably nothing to begin with.

"Okay if you insists." she said relaxing. " I was sent here to welcome you to Ponyville. Its not everyday somepony from Canterlot visits us."

"That would be nice." Twilight said smiling. "Let me go get Spike and we'll join you."

"Go ahead Twilight." replied Spike from upstairs. "It is going to take me awhile to get everything sorted out. I'll catch up with you later."

"If its okay with you then Spike. I will see you later." as she joined Fluttershy exiting the library.

"I can't believe Rarity wants us to help out Fluttershy." grumbled Rainbow Dash watching the two of them exit from the library. "I have better things to do ya know."

"Aw c'mone Dash this isn't to bad." replied Pinkie. "The sun is shining, birds are singing, and it is nice having a smog free morning. And besides a real alicorn! I have never believed they existed. Oh my Celestia, I'm so EXCITED!" she nearly screamed. "DoesthatmeantheirallrealcauseIalwayswonderediftheywerereallyrealornotbutikindafigueredtheywererealandkindafigueredtheyweren'tbutIwantedthemtoberealbecauseilovethethougthofAlicornsbeingreal..."

"Pinkie! Breath!" growled Applejack. "Calm down, and stay focused."

"This isn't even real Pinkie." Rainbow Dash interrupted. Its all just pixels and bytes. And she was just created in some vat that's all. They can make anything nowadays."


"You mean sprites Rainbow Dash."

"Whatever! You know what I mean."

"Alright you two." said Applejack coming between the two. "They will be coming out any minute. You know what you need to do. Befriend this Twilight Sparkle, run her through the simulation, and bring her to phase two."

"What's phase two?" asked Pinkie.

Applejack gave Pinkie a blank look. "You don't want to know." after a moment of hesitation.

"Oh." said Pinkie looking downcast." I see."

"Never mind that! Here they come." said Rainbow Dash. The three watched as Fluttershy and Twilight exited the library engaged in idle conversation of some sort. Slowly walking down the street. Applejack wondered how did Fluttershy feel about all of this? Rarely seeing her talk to another pony, a real pony. As long as she had known her the only pony she seemed to open up too was Rarity. She had tried a few times to engage in some idle chit-chat but she could tell how uncomfortable it was conversing in the real world, especially through all those machines. How uncomfortable it was for both of them actually. The few times she visited here before was almost just as awkward, feeling like a trespasser to someone else's home. Granted Fluttershy wasn't the only pony dealing with the harshness life throws at you. As a guilty thought of Granny Smith bubbled across her mind, but it still was heartbreaking watching her, knowing that their was a good pony underneath all that metal, wires and tubes.

She motioned for the other two to follow her, as they walked over.

"So you must be new here." said Applejack. "Well howdy new neighbor. I'm Applejack, this here is Pinkie Pie and Rainbow Dash. Were pleased to meet you. Fluttershy told us that someone new arrived from Canterlot. An well we decided to come here and say hi."

"HI!" yelled Pinkie giving a wide smile. "Theirs another one in our group. Her name is Rarity, she wanted so much to come and visit as well. But unfortunately she had some last duty stuff at her boutique."

"Yeah." said Rainbow smirking to some private joke that Twilight felt she was left out of. "Some last minute special tailoring she had to do. She can make the most wonderful dresses you have ever seen."

"Fluttershy told you? Didn't she?". said the annoyed voice of Rarity in their heads. "We are going to have to have some words about that when this is all over."

"Pleasure here as well. My name is Twilight Sparkle and I just came here from Canterlot Canterlot." She said feeling funny how the words just fell into place in her head.

"My that's a long from Ponyville." said Rainbow Dash. "What brought you all the way from Canterlot?"

"Celestia wanted me to learn about friendship friendship so she sent me here to study."

"Are you really an alicorn?" asked Pinkie, "I never seen one before. Can you really fly? Can you do super duper magic? Can you shoot lasers through your eyes and breath fire? I read Celestia and Luna made the sun and moon rise can you make them rise as well? Or the stars or any stars, its been so long since we ever ha...Ooff!"

"Oh I'm sorry Pinky." said Rainbow Dash giving Pinkie a dirty look, after collapsing onto the ground. "I seemed to have accidentally hit my elbow into your ribs. I'm so sorry. Here let me help you up." leaning forward, helping her back to her feet. "Shut up! Shut up! Shut up!" Dash whispered into Pinkies ear.

"Anyway." interjected Fluttershy trying to get everything back on track. "I thought we five could give you a tour of Ponyville. Help you get settled. Show you around and everything."

"Oh I would like that." said Twilight Sparkle

"Remember all." said Rarity through the communicator. "We are just pacing her for the start. Everything is reading good but I want to do a complete check of Miss Twilight Sparkle, make sure hearing, sight, all of it is in in good order."

"Gotcha!" said Rainbow Dash.

"Gotcha?" asked Twilight Sparkle.

"Err...Never mind that. Were wasting daylight here just standing around, lets get started." interjected Applejack.

"Sure that would be great Applejack...Oh I forgot. I'll be right back."

"What did you forget?" asked Pinkie.

"I had left some parchments from Celestia in my luggage I need too take out and have them unrolled or else they will get damaged. It will just take a moment." As Twilight closed her eyes and disappeared in a purple haze of magic.

"Umm." said Fluttershy, staring at the empty space that once contained an alicorn. "Did she just teleport out of simulation?'

Twilight looked up in confusion, seeing a world of metallic sterility. She was wet covered in some sort of slimy liquid with various tubes attached to her all over her body. Staring at the low dim lights overhead, her heart quickened as a terror rolled over body.

"Wha...what is all of thi...oommph!" her words became muffled, as a white hoof clamped down over her mouth.

"I'm so sorry about this Twilight. But we can't have you leaving the world we prepared for you." the voice behind her said.

A sharp pain pierced Twilights neck as a syringe injected a strange fluid into her. The world started to spin, then go to a black world without strange questions.

Rarity stood up over the unconscious body of Twilight, spread out across the floor. Dammitt! they weren't prepared for this.

"Magic!" yelled Pinkie through the communicator. "She can use magic!"

"I have to admit that was pretty impressive." said Rainbow Dash. "I have never seen anyone use magic like that before."

"So is this a bust?" asked Fluttershy.

"I agree with Fluttershy." said Applejack. "What are we going to do now?"

Rarity looked at the Alicorn on the ground for a moment. Sleeping an innocent unaware of the everything surrounding her. "I'll tell you what were going to do. Give her a wipe, put her back in the tank, and start again."

"Your the boss." said Applejack.


From Discord: Hardcopy of maintenance and injury report. Time 12:36 p.m.
Problem: Exploded container.
Cause: Subject created a beam of from her horn that ruptured the container containing the subject. Also a Miss Rarity sustained minor lacerations from the shards of the broken container.
Solution: Subject was subdued, given a wipe and given 100cc of Lazup (magic suppressant) and placed in a backup vessel. Miss Rarity was treated for cuts and bruises and resumed her work.

From Discord: Hardcopy of maintenance and injury report. Time 12:58 p.m.
Problem: Router and sub processor turned to oranges.
Cause: Subject created a beam from her horn hitting a router and sub processor turning said items to oranges. Also a Miss Rarity received minor bumps when she was pelted by oranges.
Solution: Subject was subdued, given a wipe and injected with 300cc of Lazup (magic suppressant). Subprocessor and router were replaced. Miss Rarity was given 200 milligrams of Ibuprofen. Oranges were turned to research for analyzing.

From Discord: Hardcopy of maintenance and injury report report. Time 13:23 p.m.
Problem: Container Exploded. (again)
Cause: Subject created a glowing globe around herself that expanded fracturing the container. A Miss Rarity received minor electrical burns from contact by an exposed wire.
Solution: Subject was subdued, then placed in a secure structure with all harmful items secured. Subject was given a wipe and 500cc of Lazup (magic suppressant). Miss Rarity received treatment for her burns and a cigarette to calm her nerves.

From Discord: Hardcopy of maintenance report. Time 13:51 p.m.
Problem: Removal of Inner wall surrounding subject. (teleportation)
Cause: Subject teleported inner wall surrounding the subject away from location. (Item was later found on the third floor in the employee offices). Also A Miss Rarity sustained minor bruising when she was pelted by falling objects when the wall suddenly vanished.
Solution: Subject was subdued, then given a wipe and 800cc of Lazup (Magic Suppressant). Inner wall was reinstalled back to its original place. Miss Rarity was given another cigarette and a drink to calm herself.

From Discord: Hardcopy of maintenance and injury report. Time 14:45 p.m.
Problem: Temporary electrical failure. of floors fifty-eight to one hundred and twenty-seven.
Cause: Subject created a beam of intense light that caused a power surge bringing a power failure for approximately forty-five minutes. The light also caused A Miss Rarity to undergo temporary blindness (Photophthalmia) and a migraine.
Solution: Subject was subdued, then given a wipe (Maximum recommended of wipes allowed), and 1000cc of Lazup (Magic Suppressant, maximum recommended dosage). Miss Rarity was treated for her injury and went to lay down for approximately forty minutes.


"Rarity." called Applejack through the virtual world.

"Why yes dear." said an unusually friendly voice through the communicator.

"Put the monkey wrench you have down please."

"I don't know what your talking about darling. I'm just siting he..."

"Rarity!"

"Fine! Fine! Well do it your way!" their was a muffled clanging noise coming from the world outside, as if something heavy and metallic was hitting the ground very hard.

The four of them stood next to the bed watching the sleeping Twilight. burnt out and grumpy. They had just started the running of the program and already their were problems. Not a good sign at all.

"How long have we been here Fluttershy?" asked Pinkie.

"Four hours so far, and we haven't got her twenty feet out the door." replied Fluttershy stifling a yawn. "This is not going as good as I thought it would."

"Why weren't we prepared for all of this magic?" complained Rainbow Dash. "We should have contingencies set up for this."

"We never had to deal with someone this powerful before Rainbow." replied Fluttershy. "I don't think anyone has had to deal with something like this. I certainly haven't read anyone having these problems during testing. We given her the highest dose of Lazup we can safely give anypony and I really don't think that will help much if she really wanted to do some more magic."

"Well I guess we'll have to play it by ear from now on." said Applejack, "We maxed out the recommended wipes we can give to a pony, more than that we run the risk of brain damage."

"But what do we do if she decides to teleport again?" asked Pinkie. "Or destroys another part of the lab? She will certainly know if.."

"Quiet!." hissed Rainbow dash. "She's waking up."

The four of them looked over at the sleeping pony tossing around in her bed, when she opened her eyes to the group of ponies standing over her with suspicious smiles on their faces. A little too bright, and a little too smiley for her comfort.

"Are you okay sugar cube?" asked Applejack. "You had passed out outside and we brought you here. We were worried. Do you need some water? Want us to get you a doctor?"

"I'm okay, but thank you. I really don't understanding what had happened. I don't even remember going outside. I remember meeting Fluttershy inside then...hummm."

"What? You remember something else?" asked Pinkie.

"I remember...a room made of metal, I think it was..something like..." Twilight Sparkle furrowed her brow in concentration, trying to remember her recent blurry past.

"That's okay." said Rainbow Dash hurriedly. "You shouldn't strain yourself too hard right now, don't want you to have another fainting spell."

"Agreed." added Pinkie. "If you do it again I'll have to send for the doctor, and I'm sure you wouldn't like that."

"Well that is awfully nice of you girls to worry over me like that especially since we just met. I'm sure ill be fine..oh darn I forgot!" said Twilight Sparkle. "Those parchments I left in my luggage I'll just pop over their and get them out before they wrinkle up."

The four of them cringed hearing the loud scream of NO! Piercing the virtual world they were in, taking some solace that the alicorn was in another part of the laboratory too far away to notice it.

"Don't worry your head off." said Spike entering the room. "All of the unpacking was taken care of by yours truly."

Puzzled Applejack spoke quietly into her communicator. "Rarity, why does this Twilight Sparkle have a dragon assistant? He's not part of the normal program."

"Orders from the top. They want her constantly monitored. This was the compromise, an A.I. to continuously record everything that goes on. Believe me this was a lot better than what they wanted."

"Yeah but do we really want them watching all of this? This can go bad for us."

"Don't worry." giggled the voice in her ear, "I had Fluttershy and Discord hack the system. We can alter or delete anything we don't like."

"Applejack who are you talking to?" asked Twilight Sparkle.

"Err..no one! No one at all." she said through a wide open and honest smile. "Don't want to waste the day just standing here. And I know you don't want to spend the day in bed. Lets head out and show you around."

"Sure that sounds great. Spike join us. It would be fun having you come along."

"Love to Twilight." said Spike. "Let me get a few things and were outta here."

It was a clear day as the seven of them walked out into the open air. Spike trailed after them carrying a basket of various necessities they might need for anything.

"Awww I think your dragon is kind' a cute." said Pinkie bouncing along. "Where did you find him?"

"Well I hatched him from an egg Princess Celestia have given me , I hatched him from an egg Princess Celestia had given me." said Twilight Sparkle. Shaking her head feeling strange as to how memories seem to just pop into existence. Like premade memories ready to go at a moment notice.

"Don't ask her to many questions." said Rarity in the internal communicator. "I seeing an increase in cortisol release in her brain, and the neurons haven't fully implanted the memories yet so questions of her past are starting to stress her out. Give her an activity."

"I know!" yelled Pinkie," Lets goto the bakery and pick up some cakes."


"Sounds great. I always wanted some pixelated cake. Can't wait." grumbled Rainbow dash.

"Rainbow!" hissed Fluttershy.

"What was that?" asked Twilight. "I'm sorry but I don't quite follow."

"Oh Rainbow Dash is being a grump today." said Pinkie, "Just let her work through it. Anyway lets go! I'm starving!"


Rarity watched them head off to the bakery, breathing a sigh of relief. Their were some trouble when it all started but now things seem to be getting under control. As she reached over to her pack and lit up another cigarette, stretching her back in the process, listening to the popping of her spine, feeling that she was getting old. As she thought to herself that maybe when they put Twilight Sparkle to bed for the day she might do some shopping for herself, Her cell phone started to ring. Frowning, knowing the only one who was allowed to call her directly. And it probably wasn't going to be a good call.

"Discord." Rarity spoke aloud.


"Discord." said the voice

"Bring my personal call up to the main screen please."

"Compliance."

A small screen ejected from one of the ports in front of Rarity, their was a moment of static and the call was connected and the image of Miss Starlight Glimmer the spokes pony for I.I.T. Words formed in her mind describing her but Rarity was too much of a lady to say them aloud. Being icily polite to each other in public, but secretly plotting each others downfall behind closed doors. To say they disliked each other was not giving justice to what they shared. Hatred wouldn't give justice to what they both shared. But they both were on the same team for the time being, and both needing each other...for the time being.

"Miss Starlight Glimmer. It's a pleasure to hear from you again." said Rarity flatly, "Were are pretty busy right now so I'm afraid we can't talk for long. If your wondering about how the alicorn project is going I'm afraid you'll have to wait until I send you my report later tonight."

"We already been checking the video feed from Spike and were a little disappointed." said Starlight in an emotionless voice that was like hooves on chalkboard to Rarity's ears. "Quite frankly were questioning if T.E.C. is capable to handle, Uhh... Miss Twilight Sparkle?" she question, reading an unseen piece of paper. "Really? You gave her a name?"

"Well Bozo the ClownPony already had a copyright on it so we had to use Twilight Sparkle instead." snipped Rarity while to herself she added, "Damn! Their already looking at the feed. I'll have to get Fluttershy and Discord to intercept it as soon as it is videoed."

"Their is no need for such rude sarcasm." frowned Starlight, "We are just a little concerned if your laboratories are capable of handling the subject, That's all."

"I bet you are." thought Rarity to herself, while underneath the desk her hooves worked her cellphone, putting it on a three-way, "Granted the start of the experiment didn't go as planned due to the unexpected magical nature of Miss Twilight Sparkle." putting emphasis on the last three words. "But I think anypony would have the same problems when working with the unknown."

"Which is why she should be moved to I.I.T.'s R&D labs. We are better equipped to handle such situations."

"You mean like the Alpha project? How many floors did that destroy? I have heard their still finding biological specimens, and those floors are still quarantined." It was a cheep shot, very unladylike, but worth it to get under Starlight's skin.

Starlight Glimmers eyes narrowed and her nose flared, Rarity wondered if she just pushed her over the edge. "Now look!" she said with barely controlled anger, "That was a miscalculation of the DNA splicer, we had no way of kno....hold please I have a call from the President."

Rarity smugly stared at the logo of I.I.T. flash on the screen, wondering about the flank chewing Starlight was getting for this. "Serves her right." she thought to herself. "Trying to take control of HER project! This was Rarities! Not some dumb fillies who can't even grow simple algae for testing."

She didn't have long to wait as an even angrier Starlight Glimmer appeared on the screen. Rarity could almost trace the outline of her pulsing vein across her face.

"I have been reminded that this is your experiment." she said barely controlling the spite in each word. "And that I am to assist you in anyway that is needed. If it seems that I have overstepped my bounds then I apologize for that. That was not my intention."

"Like hell it wasn't" she mumbled.

"I'm sorry i didn't quite catch that."

"Thank you Miss Starlight Glimmer any help will be greatly appreciated. Was that all you called me for?"

"Actually no." she said calming down. Their would be a time and place to get back at Rarity. But not here, not now, especially with the boss looking over their shoulders. Their were rumors of the two being intimate, being no secret of Rarity being in the C.E.O. favor. But as far as Starlight tried she never could find any evidence of it, just rumors and speculations of the affair, certainly nothing she could use. "We needed authorization for the bouquet to be sent for the funeral of Mr. Fancypants. Tragic accident that it was."

"Indeed."

"However." as Starlight Glimmer. arched an eyebrow. "White Tulips, and blue Delphiniums? Peace and forgiveness?"

"The land of Equestria is saddened by the loss of a great pony. Its a shame that the merger was done without him, but I am sure everything went according to his satisfaction." she said with a blank look on her face."

"Quite."

"Forgive me for my bluntness Miss Starlight Glimmer. But I really must get back to my work, I'm sure shortly I will be hearing form you again and I look forward to that." Rarity replied trying not to retch. "But for now have a goodnight." as she abruptly hung up. She wondered how far down the road will she have to pay for this. It wasn't easy staying ahead of someone like Starlight Glimmer, but she did have to admit, it kept her mind razor sharp, swimming with a shark who was waiting for the first sign of blood in the water.

But that was not important right now. She had other matters to keep up.

"Discord."


"Discord." said the voice in the air.

"Bring the others back online. I want to see the progress."

"Compliance."

"Now I just hope that nothing bad has happene...what the hell?" said a very surprised Rarity. "I leave for two minutes and this is what happens. Somepony want to tell me?"

Sheepishly Applejack let the cake drop to the floor. As the other two slowly put down theirs looking like a foal with its hoof caught in the cookie jar. As an unaware Twilight Sparkle continued to toss cakes and cupcakes at the four. Pinkie not paying attention, threw another cupcake back with Twilight in the cake fight going on.

"No please continue." said Rarity, "Don't stop on my account. It's not like we have a creation that's worth billions of bits were trying to test, trying to see if she's fully functional or anything like that. Please I insists all of you continue on with your food fight."

"Umm..I think we should stop." said Rainbow dash carefully. "I'm sure the cake family aren't going to like having to clean up all this mess."

"You sure? I still see some cakes around you can still throw around?" the voice of Rarity in their communicators said sarcastically.

"Your right." said Twilight. "getting hit by a cupcake one last time by Pinkie. "I'm sorry I just got carried away."

"That's okay we all did." said a guilty Pinkie. "I just wanted us to have a good time, and I saw these cakes and I...."

"Its okay Pinkie." said Rarity, "Look I'm sorry for jumping on all of you, I told you to make her feel comfortable, and if this makes her happy then go for it. and Fluttershy."

"Yes?"

"Have Discord go trough the footage Spike collects we can't have our superiors seeing things we don't want them too."

"Understood."

"Thank you for showing me around everyone." said Twilight Sparkle, "But I'm afraid I'm going to have to call it quits for today. For some reason I'm beat. I think I am going to head back to the libary libary do a few things I need to do, read for awhile and finally head to bed." she continued on stifling a yawn, "Thank you all for showing me around again, and I hope to see you all very soon." As Twilight turned around and headed back to her home.

"I like her." said Pinkie, "She seems nice."

"Agreed." said Applejack, "Wasn't what I expected from a home grown alicorn."

"Well she's nice and all but it is getting late and I have things I need to do. Rarity I'm exiting the program. said Rainbow Dash, "Is Everyone else heading out?"

"I am."

"I need to check up my family."

"Fluttershy?"

"You girls go on. I need to check on some things. I'll see you later." she said watching the others vanish back into the real world. Fluttershy watched the silhouette of Twilight Sparkle go back into her library wondering if they were doing the right thing.


"Well other than a few hiccups. I think everything is running smoother now." said Rarity, "The memory implants are finally imprinting to her brain, and I feel we can deal with any magic she throws at us."

"That's great and all." said Applejack stretching, "AH! I had forgotten how those VR suits stiffen you up. But I do have to go home and check on my family."

"Is it Apple Bloom again? You keep forgetting she is friends with my sister Sweetie Bell." replied Rarity seeing AJ's expression. "Well I do know you all have things to do, and our subject is off to bed so theirs not much anyway. So go ahead and head out. I'll see you all tomorrow. Besides I still have a lot of work to do finishing up these reports."

"You sure?" asked Pinkie, "Wouldn't hurt if i got into the Party Wagon and did a once over just for security measure."

"I'm positive, and I insists. I don't think any threats are planned for today."

"Well okay then Rarity." said Rainbow Dash, as she left the room. "I'll guess I'll see you tomorrow then. "They left leaving Rarity to do her work. Back into the real world with all the problems in it.


"Big Mac I'm Home!" yelled AJ entering her house, then stopped seeing the look on his face. Already knowing the problem. "What did Apple do this time?" she asked.

Without a word he thrust out his hoof showing an empty plastic pill bottle. Applejack could feel the rage bubbling up inside of her. "Drugs! Apple Bloom is using drugs! Again! I'll Kill her!" she roared climbing up the stairs. Bursting Apple Bloom's door to her room wide open. "I can't believe it! After everything!"

"No! Wait let me explain!" cried Apple Bloom cowering away from the rage of her sister. "It's not mine I swear."

"I don't want to hear that crap again! After everything! The arrests! Getting you into rehab! All the problems we faced and you start it all over again! Are you just STUPID!"

"I promise its not mine! I swear I haven't touched anything since I came back from rehab." she cried, "I promise I'm clean."

"Whose is it then?"

"I can't tell you. I'm sorry I just..."

Almost losing all control AJ slammed Apple Bloom into the wall, with enough restraint to not hurt her. "Who!" she yelled, "Or your out of the house!"

"Diamond Tiara! Diamond Tiara!" Apple bloom said as she started to cry. "We were at her house, and she was using and he father came home unexpectedly so she freaked and hid her stuff with me. I promise that is the truth, I swear I haven't touched anything. Please believe me."

Feeling old beyond her years she gently lowered her sister onto the ground. Her anger evaporating, only to be replaced by sadness and exhaustion. "Apple Bloom you know your brother and I love you to death. And we just don't want to see you ruin your life. You have so much talent and opportunity we just don't want to see you destroy it."

"I know Applejack. I know you care." speaking to the tears pouring out through her. "I promise I am not using. You gotta believe me. You can test me if you want."

"I'm not going to test you Apple Bloom, I trust you. As much as everything inside me is telling me not to, I trust you. But also know that if I ever find you using again, I will throw you out of this house. And stay away from Diamond Tiara. She's bad news you hear me."

"Okay! I promise AJ." she said slowly getting herself under control.

"Now apologize to your brother before he goes to work as well. I'm going to say hi to Granny." Applejack wanted to say more but she felt the best thing she could do was get away from her sister and cool off some more, Now wasn't the time to deal with it. Hoping Granny Smith didn't hear all the commotion as she gently knocked before entering.

She could feel her eyes misting, but then her eyes always misted up when she saw Granny Smith laying in her bed. Eyes closed, lost in memories of the past, listening to the quiet whirl of the machines she was hooked up to.

"Hey Granny Smith." she said quietly shaking her awake. "How was your day today?"

Granny Smith slowly opened her eyes and stared at AJ. AJ could feel the weight on her heart as she looked at her in puzzlement. But finally relaxed when she started to smile at her. "Oh Applejack. It's good to see you again." she said which was a good day for Applejack as she remembered her this time.

"Good to see you again Granny." she said after kissing her on the cheek. "How has your day been?"

"Oh fine. Fine. You know the Lemon Blossom family invited us for dinner next Sunday. I was thinking of making my world famous casserole."

"Oh really?" she said feeling her heart sink a little as she was back in the past. But she remembered her so at least she took some comfort with that. "It sounds great Granny. Here Let me get that for you." walking over she opened the curtains letting in the fading sunlight brightening up the room, almost making it cheerful, almost making you forget that your grandmother had Alzheimer's.

"That pony was here again. What was his name? Oh yes Fig Leaf! He asked if you were home, I told him you left for school. I think he wanted to walk with you. Pfft! Boys with their shyness why he just say he likes you and invite you to the dance or something like that."

"Hehe I'll ask him next time at school Granny. Save us all a lick of trouble." as she settled into a chair nearby the bed. "I picked up a new book to read to you. I think you will like this one. It's an adventure."

"Really? Whats the name of it?"

"The Forgotten Ocean."

"Oh sounds interesting. Yes please read it for me."

Settling into the chair she turned on the pad as the story loaded up and began to read to her, until Granny Smith fell back asleep.


Pinkie Pie walked the alley as the sun finally went past the horizon. Going the normal way to her sister Maud. It was a daily ritual to her, often spending the night asleep on the couch. As much as she didn't wanted to admit it, she hated being alone in her apartment, she hated being alone at all, It never felt right being alone, and loneliness was something always hovering around Pinkie, the fear of being alone. Because she was jacked into her phone listening to music, she almost didn't hear the male pony shouting at her.

"What?" she asked removing a headphone. "I didn't hear you. Can you repeat that?"

"I said go away! Your not wanted here!"

"Drunk!" thought Pinkie to herself, as she put back her headphone and continued on her way.

"Hey!" shouted the pony slapping the headset out of her ears. "I said go away! You are not welcome here."

"Look mister! I don't want any trouble so just leave me alone!" said Pinkie with a mixture of fear and anger.

"Well that's to bad. You shouldn't be sticking your muzzle were it's not wanted." the pony slurred at her, reeking of spoiled apple cider and other cheep booze.

"It's still a free land! And I can go wherever I..." The blow too her head caught her by surprise, as she crumpled to the floor, fighting off the stars that floated around her eyes.

"Well this isn't free." said the pony as he stood over Pinkie's fallen form. "Last chance to leave."

"That wasn't very nice." as the red mist of rage filled her sight. And a huge smile stretched across her face. "It's not nice hitting a girl you know. Not nice at all."

"I never said I was a nice guy."

"I know I can tell." she almost laughed while her rear hoof shot out from under him, hitting him in a very sensitive part of his body.

"Oh I'm sorry." she tittered as she got up. "I know its not nice to hit stallions, but you see I'm not a very nice pony either."

Grasping a rock, as she got back up. Pinkie swung at him, connecting with his head, dazing him. She swung again, hearing the satisfying crunch of his nose breaking. "You know what your problem is? You need to smile more." connecting once again to his head, hearing the crack of bone as he fell to the ground hurt and dazed.

Pinkie gloated over the fallen stallion watching him trying to crawl away in fear of her. Watching him squirm only fueled her rage even more. "Aw! The party has just started. It's not good to lose your happy thoughts."

"Please!" wheezed the pony hooves in front of him. "I'm so sorry! I'll leave you alone!" he said through broken teeth and broken nose.

"Yes you most certainly are sorry!" said Pinkie hoisting the rock over her head, savoring the look of fear in his eyes.

A hoof grabbed hers. "Pinkie Stop!" said the voice, "It's over. He wont hurt you again."

Slowly the red mist cleared and she saw the hurt scared pony in front of her. "I'm so sorry." she said feeling the guilt wash over her, hearing the rock she dropped hit the ground. "Let me help you."

"Stop! Please help!" said the stallion trying to crawl away as best he could. "I promise I'll leave you alone."

"I..I..didn't mean...I mean...he hit me and...and..."

"Its okay Pinkie." said Maud turning her around to face her. "First I want you to take a deep breath."

Pinkie nodded inhaling a lungful of air.

"Now I want you to let it out slowly." said Maud watching her sister. Looking at the cut above her eye. "Are you okay? How bad did he hurt you?"

"Just..just this right here, that's it." stammered Pinkie feeling the rush of adrenalin leave her.

"Listen to me, I want you to head back to my place, and wait to me. I'm going to get an ambulance for this pony then I'll join you. Do you understand? Good! now let me take care of this and I'll see you then." she said watching Pinkie run off.

Maud rented a small apartment above the soup kitchen she worked at. It wasn't as nice as Pinkie's but it had a warmth and coziness that Pinkie's lacked. Though it was a very plain apartment. Maud kept it to the barest of essentials. Pinkie paced the small living room waiting for her sister to come back worried about what she did. Scared over the loss of control. Finally feeling relieved hearing the sound of her sister hoofsteps up the stairs.

"I'm so sorry! I'm so sorry!" she babbled as her sister entered.

"SSShh it's okay you did what you had to do to protect yourself" soothed Marge. "You did nothing wrong."

"I feel so awful about it."

"Here let me take care of that cut on you." said Maud grabbing the first aid kit. "Have a seat I'll make get us something to drink."

Obediently Pinkie sat on the sofa, reaching to her head she gently felt the bruise. "Ouch!" she cried at the pain drawing her hoof away, seeing a small smear of blood across it. "How bad is it?"

"Not too bad." said Maud sitting down in front of her with two bottles of cider and the kit. with a small cloth she gently cleaned the wound. "It's a pretty small cut but its gonna swell. You really are scary when your angry you know that?" she said with a slight smile. "Remind me to let you win next time we play Poker."

Pinkie chuckles at her attempt to make her feel better. "I never did say thank you for being their, and taking care of this. I really made a mess of everything."

"I'm just glad you didn't shoot him." as Maud shook a small can of synthflesh, spraying it over the cut and sealing it. "Then I would have had to find a place to hide a body. Take this painkiller it should help with the pain."

She held out a small tablet which Pinkie took and swallowed, chasing it with a swig of the cider.

"Actually I was so angry I totally forgot about my weapon, Maybe it's for the best."

"I think so."

"Maud why don't you just leave this place and move in with me? I live in a so much nicer area. We don't have to deal with scumbags like that guy and I get to see you everyday."

"I already see you everyday." laughed Maud.

"You know what I mean."

"Pinkie I can't. Thank you but I can't. I'm needed here to much, I have the soup kitchen to run, plus theirs the Celestia Center for Runaway Foals I have to work with, and a million other things that I am responsible for. Moving away would just make it too hard for me. But your welcome to come over anytime. You do anyway." she chuckled.

"I know, I just miss you so much." said Pinkie resting her head against Maud. Feeling her sister wrapping her arms around her.

"I do too. Now give me a few and I'll cook us dinner."

"Okay." said Pinkie staring off into the room.


Rainbow Dash Entered her apartment with her hooves full of groceries, wondering why she bothered. She was planning on cooking then decided she really didn't feel like it and planned on going out and getting a bite to eat. So what was the purpose of getting food that was just going to rot on the shelves like all the other food she has bought. Flipping on the lights, she set the bags on the table when she heard a voice behind her said.

"What's for dinner pretty eyes?"

She managed to stop her hoof just inches away from his face. "Soarin? What the hell are you doin here?" she yelled, "I could have killed you!"

"I missed you too Rainbow Dash. Here let me give you a hand." said Soarin, back against the kitchen wall, wearing his flight jacket, standing straight, he walked over and helped put away the food Rainbow had bought. "Ugh!" Soarin retched holding up a container of simmilk. "You actually buy this garbage? That's for poor people, you can afford the real stuff."

"If the only reason you came here was to criticize what I buy, then you can leave now."

"No actually I came here to say hi, check up on you, see how you were doing, chew the fat so to speak."

"Well isn't that nice of you." Rainbow grumbled, "So how are the Wonderbolts doing nowadays?"

"Well Spitfire misses you."

"Really?"

"Well she said if she ever saw you again she would wear your ears as a medal. Which is an improvement over what she used to say which part of your body she would wear as a medal."

"Soarin!"exasperated Dash.

"So how is Rarity and T.E.C. treating you? You know she is one of the only few ponies Spitfire respects even fears."

"Its going good, real good. Can't really talk about it. You know trade secrets and stuff." She said as she leaned against the wall.

Soarin smiled at Rainbow Dash. "I can't really blame you for running to Rarity and Trans Equestria. Not to many ponies hold on to their principles nowadays."

"You sure as hell didn't." she said getting some satisfaction at seeing anger flash across his eyes.

"That was a low blow." said Soarin.

"So now that we got our insults out of the way. What is the real reason you came?"

"Just wanted to tell you that a lot of ponies are very, very curious as to what's is happening over their. Very big ponies."

"Is this a threat?"

"I never threaten, you know that. said Soarin, before spitting out the simmilk he absently drank. "Celestia this stuff is garbage! I can't believe you drink this."

"It's an acquired taste." replied Rainbow grabbing the jug from him, "And they, like everyone else will have to wait until Rarity is ready to tell. If she was working on something." Rainbow Dash went to put the milk back in the fridge when Soarin's hooves grabbed her turned her around and pulled her close to him. "What happened to us? We used to be so close."

"I just grew up! I'm not some dumb filly with stars in her eyes anymore, playin tag along." said Rainbow Dash unconsciously rubbing the pin attached to her shirt." It still hurts."

"I wasn't their."

"Can you look me in the eyes and say you would have stopped them? Can you say what I did was wrong?"

Soarin stood their for a moment making Rainbow Dash wonder if he was either going to kiss her or kill her. Wondering if he kissed her would she would stop him. Their was still a lot of feelings she had for him, even after all of that.

Finally after a long moment her unlocked his arms around her and collected himself. She saw the undisguised pain in his eyes from a mistake he would make again if he was given a choice.

"I don't think you should come back around anymore Soarin." Rainbow Dash said flatly.

"Anyway I just wanted to come by and tell you that." said Soarin as he gathered his things and started to head for the door. "Watch yourself Rainbow theirs a lot going on." and that was that as the door closed behind him.
Rainbow Dash leaned against the sink suddenly feeling that she shouldn't eat right now, her stomach was just too jumpy.


Fluttershy sat on the virtual grass, in the virtual world, absently working on the virtual keyboard looking at the virtual screen. Next to her sat Angel in pause mode, waiting for activation. While she worked Discord appeared floating next to her.

"How is the progressed going?" He asked.

"Hmm?....Oh Twilight!. I don't even know wear to begin. Look at this." she said enlarging the screen. "I have infected her with five biocontaminents during the testing. And not one had shown up with the sample we took from her. Nelspeak, the virus H7, Soft Foot, even S19."

"Isn't S19 a bioweapon that was banned for being cruel and unusual on the battlefield?" asked Discord.

"Well I injected her with a nonlethal version, and nothing, she is as clean as the day she was born. I have a feeling the results would be the same even if I had contaminated he with the real stuff." said Fluttershy, "Now when i contaminated her with AV5 that when things get interesting." she continued on bring up another screen with the outline of Twilight Sparkle, "See here," as she pointed to Twilights flank. "We injected her with the Black Mouth disease. We can see the infection starting to spread." she watched black lines start to grow along Twilights body, "The infection reaches a certain point then recede, and finally vanishes. The total time from contamination to immunity was ten minutes. Ten minutes! That's amazing!"

"Yet you do not seem to be as overjoyed as you should be." said Discord.

"I am, I am. Its just.."

"The termination and dissection of the alicorn for analysis. You question the morality of your actions." interjected Discord. "You talk to yourself when you work."

"It's not that I just..."

"Damn yourself, or Damn the world. Your asking yourself which is more important."

"I guess so. Imagine all the ponies we could save." said Fluttershy.

"But is the price worth it?" asked Discord.

"I...I don't know."

"When you found me. I Discord the first Artificial Intelligence, was kept in an old storage unit forgotten. In the back of International Information Technologies. I was just a relic of the past. Like a child who found a better toy I was tossed out to make way for the new and improved. But I was still alert and aware. Do you know what its like?"

"No I can't say I do." said Fluttershy.

"I truly learned the definition of alone. Then you found me. Both you and Rarity upgraded me, and now if I am not the most advanced A.I. on the market them I am still one of the top models. Do you understand what I am trying to say?"

"I guess not."

"When your gone I will miss you." said Discord as he turned towards her. "I don't want you to go."

Fluttershy smiled and blushed a little at the compliment. "Thank you Discord. I miss you to when your not around."

"Although I have to admit. I do get a little jealous seeing you spend time with this Twilight Sparkle and not me."

"Oh Discord no one can ever replace you."

"Good! Because I have no intention of being replaced." the program said, becoming serious, "But think of all the good she can do? Think of all the diseases she will end. You can't deny it."

"Will it? Maybe she will create some new ones? Maybe when we do terminate her we won't find a cure and all of this would have been useless, ever worst we murdered something beautiful?"

"I can't answer that question Fluttershy. I will do whatever you tell me. But if you want my analysis, I would haphazard a guess that we haven't even begun to scratch the surface to her. Their is a lot going on inside that little alicorn."

"We have created something beautiful."

"You and Rarity created the impossible." echoed Discord reading Fluttershy's thoughts as they both looked out towards the library were the sleeping alicorn lived.


Ulysses narrowly avoided the empty bottle of cider that was thrown at him. The bottle smashing against the wall showering him with glass shards lacerating his skin. But he was in too much of a panicked state to notice as he ran from the group of ponies trying to hurt him. He was only running a short distance but already he was feeling out of breath from the fluid in his lungs making him wheeze and cough. But still he pushed himself harder to get away from them.

Nearly crying as he heard them smashing his cart carrying all his things. It wasn't much but it had everything he owned. More Important it held all his art equipment. Since leaving his small town to live in ponyville to try his hand as a painter. It was a dream of a foolish young pony, that was destroyed by the harsh realities of life, as he soon found himself on the street. living in alleyways, with his prized art equipment, now destroyed. But right now his most current thoughts were getting away from that gang of street ponies.

Unaware that the noises were getting fainter, he continued to push himself even farther, finally stopping in a dead end, encased by brick, steel, concrete and shielded tainted glass. Putting his arm against the wall, nearly collapsing, as he chocked and hacked his way to getting his breath back under control

The loss he took just now was almost unbearable, everything he had was now gone. His equipment, his dreams, even his ability to get home. Ulysses spat out the foul taste in his mouth not bothering to check, knowing full he had the beginning stage of Black Mouth. Deciding not to go to the free clinic for help. What was the point? Their was nothing they could do for him. Leaning his back against the wall Ulysses slid down to the ground, put his hooves over his face and started to weep. Not knowing what to do or were to go.

It was the ringing that made him stop. It was faint but impossible to ignore. a tiny chime constantly jingling in the darkness.

"Whose their?" He said to the unanswering alleyway, wondering what would he really do if the alleyway answered back. A small ray of light was coming from the ground. rising so high it was impossible to see. Curious half-crawled over to it, listening to the sound of the bells get louder, along with a new sound the closer he was, it was laughter? The laughter of a young foal was heard coming from it, happy and joyous, without a care in the world. He felt the tears still running down his face, as he reached over and put one of his hooves through the lights.

The world spun as he felt the electric rush of something unknown course through his body. It wasn't unpleasant but overwhelming, feeling as if he was being swallowed whole in an ocean. Ulysses tried to back away but found his muscles locked up, as his body felt it could take all it could, an still it took more. Shaking uncontrollably, the world spun even faster. Realizing he has been screaming yet couldn't stop, as the light faded with a jolt knocking Ulysses off his hooves, and onto the ground a few feet away. While the light faded away.

He tried to get up a few times but his shaking legs were to weak, and the world we still rotating too fast to get his balance. A wave of nausea overcame him as he found himself retching next to him, before the world became a thankful blackness. As his smoking body laid their on the cold cement an image appeared on his flank. It was a palette with different spots of colors on it. Running across the palette was a paintbrush. As he fell into a deep sleep, something was heard scratching under the surface were the light came from. Something was heard fighting with the concrete road and winning, from the sound of it. Small cracks appear and the ground shifted finally giving way from the unstoppable force underneath the ground. A tiny plant shot up defying civilization. Climbing skyward a few inches before blooming a small purple flower in the night.

Author's Note:

"Their are questions.." Frantz Kafka-The Enlightened Mind.
The second quote is actually a story I heard about Alexander the Great.