• Published 5th Aug 2015
  • 6,541 Views, 1,516 Comments

The Other Button - One of the Crowd



Of course waking up as a horse was on my bucket list as well as said horse being extremely young. As nice as it is to not have to worry about going to college I'd rather be at home rather than in horsey hell! At least button believes me or I'd go mad

  • ...
49
 1,516
 6,541

Detective Chance

Chapter 23: Detective Chance

The day went by uneventfully after recess. That was until it was time to get out of the school where Arrow was waiting a fair distance from the door. Seriously, I may not know what happened between these two, but it's already annoying.

"Hey, Chance." Arrow said cheerfully when me and Button got closer to him. He was already starting to walk in the other direction after he said the so I had to stop him.

"Um... Arrow I've kind of got plans with a friend,"

"That's nice Chance. Let me know when and I'll go with you two," Arrow didn't seem to understand that I meant I was going to said friend right then so I had to reiterate what I said,

"I mean we're supposed to meet right now," This seemed to come as a shock to Arrow for some reason, but then again normally I give him some more warning before making these plans. He seemed to go deep into thought for a moment. I supposed dropping this on him randomly wasn't the best idea so I gave him time to think.

"Who is your-"

"HI, CHANCE!" Dinky yelled cutting Arrow off. Thank god she wasn't right beside me when she yelled like the CMC did. Following her was a grey pegasus mare with a bubble cutie mark. Looking up toward her I realized she was looking directly at me, wait no she was looking Directly at Arrow. That was wrong too she was looking at both of us!

"This is your little friend, muffin?" The pegasus asked while looking down at me. "It's good to see you, Arrow. Did a mare finally capture your heart?"

"Nothing like that Derpy. oops, sorry Ditzy. I wasn't thinking,"

"I don't mind it anymore. How have you been?"

"Oh you know. Joined a band, had to quit the band for the guard, ended up having to protect Chance here from a sociopath. The usual"

"You always ended up in the weird situations, didn't you,"

"It makes life interesting. I suppose if your fine with it Chance could play with Dinky,"

"I am. How about we catch up a little while they play?"

"That sounds good." Arrow turned to me, "Be careful Chance, and make sure Button doesn't get into trouble."

I was already walking away from him with Button and Dinky beside me. Seems like Arrow has a lot of old friends here so maybe I could use them to find out what happened between him and Cheerilee. I probably shouldn't poke at the past, but avoiding these problems aren't good for people.

"Normally Bon Bon picks her up since her parents work so late," Dinky said as we started walking down the path toward town.

"A candy picks her up?" I asked. I knew it was a pony name, but I still had to question all of these pony names. Hell, mine is Lucky Chance! How is it a chance if there is luck behind it? I suppose a second chance would be lucky, but I didn't ask for one and I didn't need one.

"No! Bon Bon is the one who taught her how to make candy. She own a candy shop in town,"

"Did you say candy?" One thing about me is that I don't eat sweets too often, but when I do I don't stop. What can I say I have a sweet tooth that goes for days without much sugar. When I finally get some candy or a milkshake I just eat/drink it all at once because it's just so good!

While we were talking a cream mare with a sort of blue and pink mane came into view. Beside her was who I assumed was twist who was a very pale creamy color with a curly red mane. I swear if any other person was here they'd immediately make a ginger joke, but I always found that rude unless the person themselves played along with it.

"What do you want to make today, Twist?" The mare asked the filly.

"How about some jawbreakers?" The filly responded with a smile.

"Good idea." This was when we finally got close enough for Dinky to get Twist's attention,

"Hey, Twist!" Dinky called out to her friends who immediately turned to face us.

"Hi Dinky! Who's that?" She said pointing to me,

"That's Chance. Do you think we could ask you something?"

"Okay." She took a few steps toward us so that we could talk more normally. "What do you want to know?"

"We're trying to figure out why Diamond doesn't like Applebloom. Do you have any idea why?" I asked while Button pulled out his notepad. Right then was when I realized that he had a detective hat and a mustache on. "Wait, Button where did you get all of that?"

"All of what?" Button asked clearly avoiding the question. I just facehoofed and looked back to Twist before motioning for her to speak.

"That? It's been awhile since that started." Twist said while Bon Bon took a seat next to her.

"What do you remember?" I asked.

"I remember a little about the day it happened,"

*** three years ago: Twist***

"What do you guys want to do?" I asked the other three fillies in the room. We were currently at Applebloom's house.

"We could go to the park," Applebloom said just to pitch an idea.

"I don't want to go to the park though. How about we go to my house?" Diamond said giving us all a new idea.

"Nah, how about we go swimming in the lake?" Silver said.

"Maybe Combo Breaker has something we could do?" I said in hopes that everyone in the room would agree.

"You mean Button's Brother?" Diamond asked

"Yeah! he always has something we could do!" Applebloom said. Combo was a good friend of everyone in town. He's kind of like Pinkie in the sense he can make you feel nice when you're down in the dumps. He was just so nice to everyone, and he doesn't even say anything about my lisp!

Everyone agreed that Combo was probably the best thing we could do right now so we left Applebloom's house to head to Ponyville. We didn't have to go far however because Button's entire family was at the farm for some reason.

"Thank you so much for agreeing to watch Button and Combo, Granny," Button's mom said to Applebloom's granny

"It's no problem. I couldn't ask you to miss your son's first thingamabob," Granny said while Combo and Button chased each other around the trees nearby.

"We have to be there in 20 minutes so we have to go. Thank you again granny," After that Button's parents both walked down the path to Ponyville together. We all immediately walked over to Button and Combo so that we could see if either of them had any ideas on what to do.

"Hey Twist!" Combo called out when he spotted me and the other girls.

"Hey Combo!" I called back to him. He was smiling at us and Button was too.

***Present Day: Chance***

"Everything after that is blurry," Twist said giving me a sort of sad expression. "I only remember that bad things started happening when we went to the everfree later that day,"

"Twist, do you remember what happened to Combo?" Button asked in a shaky voice. When I turned to him I saw that he was crying for some reason. I didn't even know Button had another Brother aside from Gibson, but this Combo definitely hit Button hard.

"I don't know what happened to him. I was too scared to see anything,"

"Too scared! TOO SCARED! YOU GUYS TOOK MY BROTHER, AND I NEVER SAW HIM AGAIN!" Button was definitely angry over this so I had to do something. I walked beside Button and put an arm around him before speaking,

"Button, calm down,"

"Why should I? Combo is gone because of them!"

"Because it's said and done. You have every right to be angry Button, but you can't get angry like this,"

"Why? It's not like you lost your brother! You don't even remember who you really are!" That hit me at home. Everything around me slowed down around me, and I felt a chill run down my spine. He thinks he is the only one to lose someone, and he thinks he can just say all of that.

"Normally I don't say this to children, but you are now an exception Button. In other words, FUCK YOU!" I yelled at Button before walking away toward the everfree forest. I don't need this bullshit, and I don't want to talk to anyone about this anyway.

Author's Note:

Thank you Radio for telling me your head-cannon that was slightly used in this chapter. As you can see I decided to use it, and it opens up an opportunity for the next chapter. Now for the normal note that I skipped yesterday. Why did I do that? I don't know I just didn't feel like leaving one, but I digress.

Thank you all for reading and thank you to those of you that comment. All of you are amazing and deserve a good story so I hope I can deliver that story. I hope to make this story worth your time.

Edit: OMG! this got featured again! :pinkiehappy: I can't explain how awesome this is so I'll just say thank you. I couldn't of done this without all of you, so again thank you all and I hope to see you all in future chapters.