• Published 15th Mar 2016
  • 2,053 Views, 23 Comments

A Lost Soul in The Real World - TasteTheSun



Time had passed since the events in Canterlot, but now, certain evils to take back what's theirs. Who will prevail and who will fall?

  • ...
4
 23
 2,053

Chapter 5: Make Your Acquaintance

Soaring through the clear blue sky, the three alicorns sat in the sky chariot on their way to Ponyville. Not one of them had said a word throughout the entire journey. Nightmare sat away from the other two alicorns. She sat quietly while staring out into the Equestrian landscape.

Celestia cleared her throat out load to break the awkward silence between them. "So, quite a lovely day we're having. Wouldn't you agree?"

Twilight nodded. "It certainly is. The pegasi sure did a good job clearing the clouds away."

Nightmare Moon sighed as she rolled her eyes.

"Oh come Nightmare, you should consider lightening up."

"Why should I? I have no reason to," she replied to the sun mare. "If you want my honest opinion, this seems like a waste of time."

"What do you mean?"

"I mean, there's little chance I would buy into your whole friendship thing. It would have been much easier if you had just banished me as you did before."

Both Celestia and Twilight stared at each other with concern.

"Don't be like that Nightmare. For once I am doing what I should have done so long ago, and that's me offering to help you, and this is it." Celestia said with ease to the dark pony sitting next to her.

"If so, why not do it yourself instead of having little Miss Friendship over there do it for you?"

Twilight frowned before looking down at herself and grunted.

"Believe me, if I weren't caught up in my royal duties, I would do just that, but Twilight here can do the same, so in a way, we are both helping you, plus this is a good way for both of you to get along. And who knows, after this, we may even consider ourselves sisters!" Celestia cheered excitedly

Nightmare turned furiously at her, staring straight at her eyes with fury on her face.

"Don't EVER, call me your sister, understand!" she said with gritted teeth. Celestia leaned back nervously. "Sorry."

Nightmare backed away from her, looking back away towards the opposite direction. The other two mares stared at her quietly, both in shock by the display.

"What's her problem? All you said was that you two could be sisters," Twilight whispered.

"I don't understand either. I mean, we are technically sisters, considering she was created from Luna's jealousy and my magic."

"I can hear both of you," Nightmare Moon called out, prompting the two to stop talking.

The rest of trip to Ponyville was quiet. Finally, the three reached the city library. The pegasus guards landed the chariot with gentle ease. The three alicorns stepped off in front of the staircase leading up to the building.

"Why don't you go and wait for me at the door?" Nightmare Moon rolled her eyes as she proceeded up the steps. As soon as she was out of earshot, Twilight motioned for the princess.

"I'm still uneasy about this princess. What if she tries to plot something?"

"Ease yourself Twilight. I'm confident in your abilities to help Nightmare Moon in her time of need," she lowered her head and whispered, "Besides, if she acts out, use the spell I told you to use." With a chuckle, Twilight nodded. With a final goodbye, the princess got on her chariot, and the pegasus guards took off into the sky.

Climbing up the steps of the library, Twilight met with the dark alicorn, who was looking up at the sky in the direction the princess flew. The lavender alicorn cleared her throat to gain the former's attention.

"Anyway, welcome to my humble abode. I hope you'll find your stay here quite pleasant."

"Hmm, we'll see." Nightmare made her way inside the library. Twilight stood there astonished. She took a deep breath to calm her nerves. Afterall, this was the first day, and so would still need to acquaint herself.

As the two entered the library, they were both greeted by the grand dragon Spike rounding the corner of one of the many large shelves into view.

"Hey Twilight, how was your-" his words were caught in his throat at the sight of the tall pony next to his friend. A mix of shock and anger crossed his face.

"I-is that..."

"Spike, I'd like you to meet Nightmare Moon."

Nightmare Moon eyed the massive creature before her. She recalled the memory of when she first saw the dragon, but much smaller and more cowardly towards her. Now, however, wasn't the case.

He lowered his head close to the two ponies, his large mouth a couple of feet away from them. "And just how is it she's standing here next to you?"

"It's a long story, but she's here because the princess has granted me the task of reforming her!"

Nightmare Moon rolled her eyes at that. "As if that would ever happen," she said beneath her breath. The little alicorn snorted at the remark.

Spike raised his head back up away from the two. "Well personally, I think that's a terrible idea. The princess should have banished her to the moon like last time."

"I actually would have preferred banishment than reformation if it were my decision." Twilight quickly stood in between the two.

"The princess is confident in my abilities and my knowledge in friendship. She wouldn't have asked me to perform such task if she knew I wasn't ready. I'm sure we'll make great progress in the next coming months, or weeks if we're successful!"

Spike snorted. "Alright, but she better not start any trouble, cause I got my eyes on her," he said motioning his claws between his and the alicorn's dragon eyes.

"Don't worry Spike; I'm sure everything will turn out smoothly," Twilight reassured.

"Oh yes, as if I can cause so much trouble with the magic of a young foal," Nightmare said.

•••

Twilight paced outside the front entrance of the library, stopping at first sight of her friends arriving up the steps.

"Twilight, we got your message! Everything alright?" Softheart asked behind her blue mane.

"Thank you for coming here everypony. I'm sure you're wondering why I've called all of you here."

"Uhh duh! It said so specifically that it was urgent and to come here quickly," Aurora Flash quipped.

"I know, and I understand, but before I tell you the extent of what is going on, I must ask you all a question. Who here has heard of Nightmare Moon?"

The five mares looked at each other with uncertainty; at least until a particular white pink-haired pony waved her hoof around. "Oh oh, me me me!"

"Yes, Sweetie Pie?"

"She was an evil pony whom Princess Luna turned into to try to bring about an eternal night until she was defeated and banished to the moon!" the hyperactive mare said.

"But that's just an ol' mare's tale. How does that have ta do with anythin'?" Appleseed remarked.

"That's right, but I think it would be better if I showed you," Twilight smiled as motioned her friends to follow her inside. Upon entry, all five ponies stopped dead at the sight of Nightmare Moon. She was glancing at some books on a shelf while Spike spied on her, peeking from around the corner.

"Nightmare Moon, could you come over here please?" the dark alicorn turned and approached the six ponies. "Nightmare Moon, I'd like you to meet my friends. Girls, this is Nightmare Moon." Twilight said introducing each other.

"Charmed," she said extending a hoof to Twilights friends. With that, they all screamed and ran in all directions in a panic frenzy. Nightmare stepped back shocked at such a reaction.

Twilight, facehoofing at the sight before her, used her magic to stop her friends in their tracks. She gathered them back together where they initially were, suspended over the ground. "Alright, everypony calm down. No need to make a mountain out of a molehill here."

"Twilight, darling, you do realize that she's one of the evilest ponies legends have ever told?" Elegance squarely asked her.

"That is true. However, she isn't as powerful as she once was. She's... tame." Nightmare Moon felt salt pouring on her wound. "If she even thinks about trying to hurt any of us, I'll be ready to make sure she doesn't."

"And how do ya plan on doin that?" Appleseed asked.

"By keeping her in a magical lock like what I'm doing to you all right now!"

"Well Twilight, that's fine and dandy, but would you mind puttin us down now?"

"Oh right! sorry." Twilight blushed before dropping her friends to the ground with a thud. The five slowly got up to recollect themselves. Aurora was the first to go up to her.

"So Twilight, now that you've introduced us to Nightmare Moon, could you please explain why we're here with her?"

"That's why I brought you all here. Princess Celestia has bestowed upon me the task to help reform her, and I need your help in doing so."

"WHAT?!" the five mares blurted out while all six of them erupted into a heated argument.

Meanwhile, Nightmare Moon stared at them as she kept to herself and her thoughts.

Hmm, it seems Twilight Sparkle is truly committed to doing this. She's wasting her time honestly. There's no hope for me to fall for her magic of friendship. But then again, this is the mare that had accomplished so much through said magic, especially with her friends. If only my magic weren't as weak as a foal's, then I wouldn't be dealing with this. Then an idea struck her. Perhaps if I play along to this friendship charade, then it would bring their guards down, leaving me with time to figure out a way to replenish my magic. By then it will be too late! Nightmare lightly grinned at the idea. Soon she would get what she wanted long ago, even if it meant for her to swallow her pride.

After arguing for several minutes, Nightmare Moon cleared her throat, ending the banter amongst the six mares. "Sorry to interrupt, but I believe arguing won't get us anywhere."

Twilight blushed before composing herself. "Hee hee, sorry. Anyway, as I said before, I am confident that we'll help you see what friendship can do!"

"Yes, I am quite eager to learn about this... friendship. Shall we get started?"

"Of course, I like your enthusiasm already! Now before we get started, I would like to comment on your name though. No offense, but Nightmare Moon doesn't come off as friendly."

Nightmare stood shocked. "But my name is meant to strike fear and terror into the hearts of many, and to represent the night that they've so long neglected!"

"Right, as I stated, it's not very friendly. I think it would be wise to change it to something nice and simple."

Nightmare Moon did everything she could to control her temper. She'd continuously repeat in her head to play along with the charade. Meanwhile, Twilight debated with her friends what Nightmare's new name should be.

"So, any suggestions?"

"Oh oh! how about Queen Meanie? No- Black Snooty! Black Snooty!" Appleseed shoved her hoof into Sweetie's mouth.

"Sweetie Pie, those are terrible names. We're trying to make her appear friendly, not scary." Twilight turned to peek at the dark mare, who was strangely fidgeting with her hooves. Then her gaze fell upon her starry mane; it was a stellar sight. "We could name her Stellar. It suits her perfectly. Stellar Moon."

"I think it sounds friendly. I mean, if you all agree that is," Softheart said. All six mares agreed amongst each other before returning to the dark alicorn.

"Nightmare Moon, we've decided that your new name should be Stellar Moon." Twilight declared happily.

"Hmm, how original. Stellar Moon. It sounds like the name a pony would give to their pet."

"Anyway, it's meant to be the first step to help you come off as a more friendly mare to others."

"Sorry to interrupt, but may I add my own piece on this?" Elegance stepped up to the two alicorns.

"Certainly Elegance, what do you have in mind?"

"It has to do with her armor. No offense darling, but metal isn't friendly, nor is it what most would deem fashionable."

That was where Stellar drew the line. "Oh no! You may alter my name, but I refuse to let you alter my appearence. My armor is an important part of me; it represents my power and strength."

Twilight instantly saw flashbacks of her time in armor. Shaking her head vigorously, she refocused her attention on the situation.

"Elegance is right. The armor is too menacing."

"Hmm, the princesses are allowed to where their regalia. Why is it I can't weat my armor like regalia?"

Twilight didn't care at this point; she just wanted to change subjects. "Fine, but one condition; the helmet has to go."

Stellar took a deep breath and sighed. "Very well then." With that, she fell to her haunches and slowly brought her hooves up to her helmet, proceeding to remove it. Once the metal helmet was off her head, the six mares were stunned at Stellar's appearance. Her forelock fell between her eyes much as Luna's did.

"Wow, she looks a lot like Princess Luna, except a lot more darker." Aurora Flash whispered to Appleseed. Stellar, however, managed to hear what was said and her frustration reached a boil.

"Don't compare me to that weak foal!"

Aurora shrunk down from her position. Twilight immediately got in between the two, using her magic to move Stellar back.

"Calm down every pony. No need to let our tempers get the best of us," she said in reference of Stellar Moon. She rolled her eyes at that.

"Look, it's getting late, and it's been a long day as well. Perhaps we should continue our lessons in friendship tomorrow."

With that, her friends each gave their farewells before departing the library, leaving the two alicorns alone.

"Well Stellar Moon, since I hadn't planned on having another pony stay here, would you please excuse me while I find a room for you to sleep in?" Twilight smiled nervously before trotting off deeper into the library.

Stellar Moon, all alone now, except for Spike secretly keeping an eye on her, looked down at her helmet, seeing her reflection on the metal. She huffed at herself before dropping it, letting it clang on the floor. Even though she had her own body, she was still in many ways still attached to Luna. Now she couldn't even look at herself without being reminded of her former host.

This is going to be much harder than I anticipated.

•••

After a while of waiting while browsing at the many books the library contained, Twilight returned covered in dust and scuff marks.

"Sorry it took so long. I had to reorganize a lot of stuff, but I finally have your room ready! Follow me."

Stellar Moon sighed as she followed the purple alicorn. A flight of stairs and a long hallway later, they arrived at a door at the end of the hall. Using her magic, Twilight opened it revealing the fairly large room, big enough to fit the large alicorn. The room itself didn't have much in it, except for a desk, a lamp, a nightstand, and stacks of books made into the shape of a bed, with a pillow and sheet. More were stacked along the walls.

"I know it's not much, but it's all I could work with for the time being."

"It's... it's quite alright." Stellar said half-heartedly.

"Don't worry, soon I'll get an actual bed for you, but in the meantime, I hope you like books as much as I do!" Twilight said as she started to trot off. "Oh! Before I forget, I'm making dinner tonight. You're welcome to join us if you'd like."

"I'll pass on your offer. I just wish to be alone."

"Alright then, whatever you wish. Just remember, no funny business."

"With magic like mine, you wouldn't have to worry." With that, Stellar disappeared into her room and closed the door. Twilight sighed as she trotted off.

Within the room, Stellar climbed on top of the makeshift bed and lied her head on the pillow. She looked up at the ceiling as she lost herself in thought.

We'll just see who succeeds in overcoming who. Once my magic is at full capacity Twilight Sparkle, you will regret ever trying to befriend me. Soon you will see I am not a force to be reckoned with.

Nightmare Moon chuckled to herself at the thought of what she would do. What she would soon do.

•••

Questions, Comments, Complements,
Any errors are accepted, there's always room for improvement!
Be sure to like and follow me both here and Twitter (@Pony3T)

Comments ( 5 )

Amazing Story So Far! Can’t Wait to see More:pinkiehappy:

3 decades later..............

Such a shame that this story is remained incompleted, I'm wondering why Twilight didn't say anything about defeated Nightmare Moon originally 1000 years ago.

Why does everything bad happen after 1000 years?

Login or register to comment