• Published 11th Apr 2015
  • 2,298 Views, 12 Comments

Feathers - GutiuSerenade



Applejack hasn't been feeling well lately, and she seems to be getting worse by the day. What could be wrong?

  • ...
10
 12
 2,298

Feathers - Epilogue

Professor Phylum adjusted his glasses as he turned from the blackboard to look back at the auditorium. For what was perhaps the first time this semester, his entire classroom was staring at him with rapt attention.

“In conclusion, the “parasang”, or more commonly referred to as the “blood parasprite”, is indigenous to the Everfree Forest. It typically feeds off birds native to the area by hiding in their feathers and feeding on their blood while they sleep. Their proboscises, used for sucking blood from the victim, are so microscopically small that they cannot be seen by the average pony eye. The same can be said for the indents they leave in the skin.”

“When consuming the blood of prey, they simultaneously replace it with a secreted venom into the bloodstream that, over time, proves fatal to its avian host in a variety of ways. This includes, but is not limited to fever, chills, muscle aches, and in the worst case, hallucinations that render them flightless, often in mid-air, causing them to crash into the ground or trees.”

The professor placed his notes on the table before him. He glanced at the clock, noticing that his lecture period was drawing to a close. Damn it, and just when he was on a roll, too.

“I hope you have all taken good notes today; this will be on next week’s exam.”

A brief silence filled the room.

“Professor Phylum?” A blue mare in the front row raised her hoof.

He raised his eyebrows at the inquiry. One of his students actually engaged enough to ask a question, heaven forbid. “Yes, Sunflower?”

“You mentioned earlier that a pony fell victim to this… parasprite. What happened to her?” asked Sunflower.

The professor’s expression dropped slightly. He sighed through his nostrils. “It was a truly unfortunate incident, considering it happened to a very renowned pony over forty-six years ago. However, it is also the only case study on record.” He adjusted his glasses again, looking back at his notes. “Like its cousins, whom we discussed earlier, the blood parasprite’s appetite grows with its size. The more blood it consumes, the bigger it gets.” He stepped around his desk to the front of the auditorium stage, magically levitating his notes with him.

“In this particular case, the creature hid itself within the victim’s feather pillow, which was made from the feathers of a previous avian host. It would emerge and sap more blood from the victim each time she fell asleep… until the victim withered away to nothing.” He noticed the mare’s nervous expression. “There’s no need to worry. Due to this case study alone, scientists have taken precautions to the matter, which is why most bed pillows are now made from down. And unlike the pillow in question, all feather pillows today are thoroughly cleaned by professionals before distribution.”

Silence. The students looked down the auditorium at Professor Phylum, unsure of what to say or ask next - whether from awe at the story or because they were impatient for lunch, he wasn’t sure. It was depressing that such a sad story had less effect on them as somepony dropping a tray in the cafeteria.

The bell exploded in sound, causing a clutch of ponies to jump in their seats. The clamor was followed shortly by the sound of students shuffling from their desks and packing their bags.

“Remember your exams are next week,” the professor called vainly. “And your midterm papers are due the following Friday!” He fell to half-shouting over the noise. “Have a good weekend, everypony! And don’t forget to-”

The door slammed shut behind the last student.

“-study up on the para-... never mind.”

Professor Phylum glanced once more at his carefully constructed notes, with all the dates and names of the ponies involved in the parasang incident.

He carefully shuffled and stacked pieces of parchment in his magic and returned to his office.

Comments ( 10 )

pretty damn sure she would have been incredibly uncomgfortable with the pillow long before it really hurt her.

I think this story would have made more sense with Applebloom, actually.

Lesser body weight slash blood volume, equals a faster health degradation and less time for...

Well, any of the many things that frankly should have saved Applejack's life.

The big thing though, is that I frankly can see no way that an animal expert on Fluttershy's level and living so close to 'Pony Mordor' would make such a rookie mistake. Plucking a wild bird —that it was implied she found dead at that, is just an written invitation to get all sort of lice and other nastiness on yourself.

Heck, given that she's got wings you'd think avoiding those type of parasites would be utterly ingrained culturally for her no matter her profession.

And that's not even touching on that cleaning those feathers should have either killed or scared off the parasite.

Or a hospital visit showing odd things with AJ's blood, for that matter.

Still, I rather liked the subtle hints in the epilogue that Celestia losing one of her friends and champions in such a silly and heartrendingly stupid manner compared to the monsters AJ had faced, made her go beyond the call of duty on making sure it would never happen again.

Really nice character moment for somebody that doesn't even get mentioned by name in the story proper.

I would have to follow Lord of Dorkness' and lordofmyth (man, lot of lords here :duck:) points with the tidbit that if the parasite was big enough by the end to both move AJ's head and tear itself out of her pillow it would have been noticeable by someone long before. A mention of maybe AJ feeling like the pillow was moving on its own which everyone writes off as another hallucination, or alternately changing the parasite's size to something smaller that could then sneak out once its source of food was gone would've made that less of a sticking point.

I'd also have liked to know how Fluttershy handled the aftermath, knowing her friend's illness was the result of her own error.


Aside from that, though, this was a good and tightly paced read.

*Inhales* FLUUUUUUUUUUUTTEEEEEEEEEEEERSHYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY!
:twilightangry2: :facehoof: :ajbemused:

PresentPerfect
Author Interviewer

At least things get explained. o.O I loved that hallucination, but geez!

so there was some kind of parasite or something in it? Kind of like a cross between a camel spider and a leech am I right? Where'd you get an idea like that Guiti?

Well holy bucking horse shit... well time to go and check ALL of Fluttershys animals. And I do mean all of them just to be on the safe side.

Oh hey! I remember reading the story this was based on. Kind of underwhelmed me since we were learning about urban legends and this was suppose to be one of the oldest, but works since you didn’t focus on the cause till the end, or at the very least was way less obvious ^^’
Happy Birthday!

8998382
Yes she did not mean to kill AJ but holy celestia sweet flank. That spider is scary

Login or register to comment