• Published 9th May 2012
  • 11,478 Views, 1,246 Comments

Wings for a Pony - Brawney Hooves



The tale of Rainbow Dash's adopted earth pony son for his quest to obtain wings.

  • ...
20
 1,246
 11,478

Chapter 21


Clay was propped under a tree. His Stanton hat tilted at an angle to keep the light out of his eyes. He was enjoying the warmth of Celestia’s sun when he heard a soft thud in front of him. He tilted his hat to see Firefly looking down at him smiling.

“You look comfortable.”

“Comfortable enough.” He replied.

“Is there room for one more?” She asked giving him a saucy look.

Clay moved over slightly giving Firefly room to sit next to him and prop her back against the tree. Clay spoke but kept his eyes shut.

“Wouldn’t you rather sit on a branch?” He asked her.

“No way. Who would want to sleep in a tree?”

“My mom used to sleep in trees all the time.” Clay replied “She even let me sleep with her in a tree when I was little.”

“Weren’t you scared you would fall?” Clay shook his head.

“When I’m with my mom I feel like nothing could happen to me.” Firefly rested her head against the stem of the tree and looked at the clouds pass by “Are you and my mom you know…getting along?” Clay asked her.

“I think she likes me. She’s always showing me her best moves and she even said she would try to get me in the Wonderbolts!”

“Glad to hear it.” Said Clay.

“There is one thing though. Yesterday she called me…what was it again…squirt?” Clay chuckled.

“That means she does like you.” Firefly leaned her head and rested it on Clay’s shoulder “So me being an earth pony without a cutie mark doesn’t bother you?”

“Not in the slightest.” Firefly said snuggling up next to him “Clay, can I ask you something?” Clay nodded.
“Your friend Dinky. Exactly how close are you two?”

“I’ve known her since kindergarten. So we’re pretty close.”

“Oh…that long huh?”

“Eeyup.” Clay muttered. Firefly was quiet in thought before speaking again.

“So…are you friends or are you and Dinky “friends.” Clay opened his eyes and looked at her.

“We’re just friends.” Clay retorted.

“Does Dinky feel the same way?”

“Well she never said anything or asked if I wanted to be her coltfriend, so I think so.”

“But she was the one who gave you those wings. And…I’ve seen her…looking at you sometimes.”

“I’m sure it’s just a misunderstanding.” Clay replied.

“She seems to really care about you Clay…a lot.”

“We’ve been through a lot together. And I care about her too.” Firefly placed a hoof over Clay’s chest.

“Clay…would you have jumped in and saved me like you did for Dinky when that wolf showed up.”

“Well you have wings I wouldn’t need to.”

“I know, but you didn’t even hesitate when she fell. And if I didn’t have wings would you have done the same?” Clay looked at Firefly with suspicion.

“Firefly what’s going on?” She avoided his gaze.

“I just…I just don’t want to cause any tension between you and Dinky. I don’t want her getting jealous.”

“She won’t get jealous. Because she doesn’t feel that way about me.”

“Are you sure?” She asked.

“Yes. I’m positive…pretty sure…maybe…” Clay rested his head and started stroking Firefly’s mane “Either way I don’t have feelings for Dinky. She’s more like a big sister to me honestly. And the only pony I love is you. So there is no need for you to be worried…okay?”

“Okay.” Firefly whispered as she shut her eyes and rested her head on his chest hearing his heartbeat. “I love you Clay.” She whispered dreamily. Clay lowered his head and lightly kissed the top of her head.
“I love you too.” He whispered as he rested his head on the tree and slowly closed his eyes.


“Psst…psst….excuse me you two.” Clay opened his eyes and was met with the friendly wall eyes of Ditzy Doo.

“What? Oh, hey Miss Ditzy what brings you here?” He looked down and saw that Firefly was still fast asleep her head resting on his chest, and her tail wrapped around his.

“I uh, have a letter for you.” She reached into her mail bag and handed a letter to Clay.

“Who’s it from?” Clay asked as he unrolled the scroll.

“I don’t know. It came from Canterlot general hospital.” Clay finished unrolling the letter and began reading.


“Clay. I don’t know if this letter will reach you, but if it does than I want you to meet me at Canterlot Hospital. I need to talk to you and it would mean a lot if you came. I understand if you don’t, but please think about it. I’d rather talk to you in person. If you don’t want to see me just send a letter. If you do I will be waiting. And don’t worry about missing me, I won’t be going anywhere for a while. I hope that you will come. Until than I will wait for either your letter, or arrival.”
Sky Tearer.


Clay looked at the letter in disbelief “Sky wants me to meet him at Canterlot?” Clay was a bit skeptical about meeting him, but a part of Clay wanted to see him. If nothing else just to see how his leg and wing were doing. Clay thanked Ditzy for the letter and watched her fly away feeling slightly envious.
“Firefly…come on its time to get up.” She shifted and muttered “Come on Firefly I need to get up.”

“Five more minutes daddy.” She muttered.

Clay frowned as he tried to think of a way to get her up. He then brought his head in and gently kissed her on the lips. Instantly Firefly’s eyes fluttered open and she smiled as she saw Clay’s smiling face.

“Well…*yawn* I better get back home before dad gets back.” She stood up and lightly stretched before kissing Clay goodbye and flying back to Canterlot.

“Now how am I going to get there?” Clay thought as he walked home. As he walked a bright flash appeared before his eyes making him shut them tightly “Gaaah, what the hell?” Clay shouted as he rubbed his eyes.

“Oh my goodness I’m so sorry Clay!” Clay recognized the voice.

“Aunt Twilight?” He slowly opened his eyes and was greeted by a purple unicorn “What…what was that?”

“Sorry Clay. I was testing out a new teleportation spell that could get me from one city to the next. I meant to teleport back in the library, but I guess I miscalculated.” Clay finally got his eyes to focus and his ears perked up when he heard her say teleportation spell.

“Did you say that you can go from city to city?” She nodded.

“Well to be honest it’s actually a scroll not a spell. But they are effective, though not entirely accurate.” She began shuffling through her saddle bag.

“Hey Aunt Twilight. Do you think I can use a few of those scrolls?” Twilight raised an eyebrow.

“Why?”

“I need to get to Canterlot. I got a letter and I need to meet somepony there.”

“Sure you can. Just be sure to get your mothers permission this time.” She gave him a look.

“I will. I promise.” Clay galloped back to his home and found his mother sitting on the couch reading the latest copy of Daring Do.

“Hey sweetie.” She said not taking her eyes of the page.

“Hi mom.” He walked over and looked at the book “Which one are you reading this time?”

“Daring Do and the crystal dragon eye.” She said excitedly “This book is beyond awesome!” She flipped a page and continued reading.

“Um, mom. I need to get to Canterlot and Twilight has these long distance teleportation scrolls. Can I use them to get there?”

“Yeah, sure just be careful. And wear a jacket or something there’s a big storm coming this way. I don’t want you getting a cold.” Clay knew she was probably too wrapped up in her book to question why he needed to go to Canterlot, but he didn’t care.

He ran upstairs and placed his rawhide hat on his desk chair and put on his black hoodie in case it rained. He left the house saying he wouldn’t be gone too long and went to Twilight to use the scrolls.

“Now remember just say the name of the destination where you want to go and then open the scroll and it should take you there in no time.”

“Thanks Aunt Twilight I appreciate this.” He took three scrolls. One for Canterlot, another for Ponyville, and a spare just in case. He stepped back and cleared his throat.

“Canterlot general hospital!” He opened the scroll and in a flash of light he was gone.

Clay reappeared and shook his head.

“That was one heck of a trip.” He said his eyes spinning. Clay looked around and saw Canterlot hospital, along with several startled ponies.

Clay took shelter in Canterlot general hospital as the clouds began to grow darker. As he entered he was greeted by a white sterile looking interior with doctors and nurses making their rounds. Clay approached the front desk hoping to get the nurses attention.

“Can I help you sweetie?” The white earth pony nurse asked.

“I was wondering if I could see a patient here? His names Sky Tearer. The nurse picked up a clipboard and began reading down the list.

“Ah yes he’s been here a few days. He’s in room 20.” Clay thanked the nurse and made his way down the hall.
After thirty seconds of walking he came to a door with a plaque that had the number 20 on it. Clay made his way into the room preparing for the worst. Sky was lying in a bed with his right wing and left foreleg in a cast. He looked slightly dazed possibly from pain killers. But he still was alert enough to notice Clay’s approach.

“I can’t believe you came.” Sky said surprised.

“Me neither.” Clay replied as he walked next to his bed.

“What happened to your wings?” Sky asked.

“I…don’t really want to talk about it.” Sky nodded. “So the letter said you wanted to see me.” Sky looked at Clay but his eyes were looking at the ground as he inhaled.

“Look…I…I know that I almost died and you saved me despite our…history.” Sky looked up at Clay making eye contact. “I just…I just wanted to say…thank you and…I’m sorry.” Clay was surprised by this but said nothing “I’ve uh…I’ve been doing a lot of thinking and…I realized that a lot of things I did were wrong and a lot of things I thought about other ponies were wrong. I…I was wrong about you Clay.” Clay still remained silent as Sky took another breath and rubbed his neck “This…isn’t easy for me, because I know I don’t deserve it. But…I…I wanted to start over you know…be…friends.” Now Clay was really surprised.

“You…want us…to be friends?” Sky nodded.

“I know I don’t deserve it after how I treated you and Dinky, but…I really want to start over. I…when I was thinking back I realized that I didn’t like who I was becoming, but…by that time I had that nickname and everypony else hated me, so why bother?” Clay raised an eyebrow.

“But why do you want to start now?” Sky lowered his head slightly.

“Because that day when you saved me you…you stood up to my dad…MY dad of all ponies. Anyone else would have just let him beat the crap out of me. You…were the only one who gave a flying feather about me.” Sky’s voice became saddened and quiet as he continued “My dad wouldn’t have risked his life to save me during that avalanche…he would have left me there…but you…you didn’t.” Clay and Sky became quiet. The only sound being the heart monitor “I don’t think I can ever repay you Clay. But I want to start by being somepony you can trust. If you need me just ask.” Sky looked to Clay uncertainly “So…can we put the past behind us and…start over?” Sky held out his good hoof as a gesture.

Clay looked at it unblinkingly and said nothing. After a while Sky gave a sad sigh and lowered his hoof when suddenly he felt it being grabbed. He looked up to see Clay holding it with his own and…he was smiling.

“Sure thing.” Clay replied. Sky looked at him surprised, but it soon turned into a smile.

“Thank you. I promise you won’t regret it.” They released their hold.

“So how long are you going to be here?” Clay asked.

“Doctor says I should be good to go tomorrow if I stay off my wing for a few days afterwards.” Sky replied looking to his injured wing.

“Good. I was worried that I may have crippled you.” Clay said sounding relieved.

“Nah. I’m still air worthy. You would have had to be a dragon or ripped it off completely to get a pegasus crippled.” Sky looked to Clay looking apologetic. “I’m uh sorry I ruined your chances with that filly.” Clay shook his head.

“Don’t worry about it. We patched things up.”

“Glad to hear it.” Sky replied smiling “So…just so we’re clear we are friends now right?” Clay nodded.

“For now. As long as you never call my mother a filly fooler or pick on Dinky or her mom ever again deal?” Sky smirked.

“Deal.” They shook once more.

“So are you going to be okay? With your dad disowning you I mean?” Sky’s face fell.

“Yeah I…I think I’ll be okay…thanks though.” Sky said smiling slightly. Suddenly a nurse walked in.

“Okay sorry kids but visiting hours are over.”

“Guess I’ve gotta go.” Clay said turning to leave.

“Wait Clay!” Sky called “Be careful…when my dad says he won’t stand for something he will put an end to it. I…I think he might be planning to attack you. So just…watch the skies.” Clay looked worried, but nodded.

“Thanks for the warning.” Clay replied as he left the room.

“I hope to Celestia that I’m wrong.” Sky said as he leaned back into his bed.


Clay used his second teleportation scroll and ended up a few miles outside Ponyville instead of in Ponyville.

“Guess I’m walking the rest of the way.” Clay sighed.

As Clay walked he heard a loud clap of thunder and he realized he wouldn’t make it to his home in time before the rain hit. He pulled the hood of his sweat shirt over his head and continued walking.

“Watch the skies.” Sky’s voice rang in his head as the rain started to fall. Clay continued walking until he heard a twig snap making him gasp. He looked around but saw nothing.

“Get a hold of yourself Clay!” He thought shaking his head. The wind began to pick up and the rain fell harder seeping through his hoodie. Clay continued to trot until again he heard a noise.

“Is somepony there?” There was no answer. Clay’s heart began to beat faster in his chest as he was becoming paranoid. He walked again only to be startled by another loud thunder clap “I’ve got to get home.” Clay said as he continued.

“Oh you won’t be going home.” A cold voice said behind him. Clay gulped and turned around to find a pair of striking yellow eyes looking back at him. “I told you I wouldn’t stand for your actions.” Sky Blazer hissed. Clay was frozen with fear as Sky Blazer began to approach. “And now…” He whispered “Now I will end them!” Sky Blazer was on top of Clay before he could react and had his front hoof on Clay’s throat crushing his windpipe. “Mommy won’t be saving you this time.” He whispered as Clay struggled to breath. “It’s a shame you don’t have your cutie mark yet…I would have loved to send them to your mother in a box.” Clay’s vision began to fade as Sky Blazer gave a cruel chuckle. “Scream for me…you filthy earth pony.” Sky Blazer whispered as he leaned closer. A mad gleam in his eyes along with Clay’s refection.
Clay gasped for breath and pushed at Sky Blazers face with his hooves, but his vision was growing darker and darker with each second. At that moment Clay knew he was dying.

“Come on! Scream!” Sky Blazer cackled as he pressed harder on Clay’s throat “Don’t shut your eyes boy! I want to see the life leave your eyes!” Clay tried to think of a way out, but the lack of oxygen and the pain was making it impossible.

“Firefly…mom…Dinky…I’ll never see them again.” A tear slide down his face. Sky Blazer gave a mad smile as the rain and lightning surrounded. Clay couldn’t believe that after all he had been through that this was how his life would end. As he started to black out he gave one last thought “I’m sorry mom.”

Sky Blazer put his face inches away from Clays face and gave an evil smile.
“Go ahead…scream for your mommy. Nopony is going to save a worthless worm like you.” As Sky gloated Clay made one final attempt and aimed his back leg at Sky Blazer’s crotch and kicked as hard as he could. He was rewarded with a scream of pain and he took the moment to head butt Sky Blazer buying himself time to breath. As Clay saw Sky Blazer stepping back his face contorted in pain; Clay stood up and began running as fast as he could. He felt like had just started when suddenly he was knocked to the ground and then felt pressure on the back of his head.
“Nice try. But you can’t outrun a pegasus you little fool!” Clay tried to look up, but Sky Blazers hoof was making it impossible.

“Any last words earth pony?!”

“Go to hell you sick freak!” Clay shouted.

“No…that’s where you’ll be going.” Sky Blazer lifted his right foreleg ready to bring it down on Clays head. Clay shut his eyes awaiting the pain.

However just as he was certain that his life was about to end; he heard a swooshing sound and then a loud grunt from Sky Blazer as he was knocked to the ground
.
“Did mom just save me again?” Clay thought. He knew that sound he heard earlier was from a Pegasus fly. Clay slowly opened his eyes and saw a pony standing over him. But it wasn’t his mother or even Firefly. In fact he didn’t recognize the stallion standing over him.

The stallion was slightly taller than his mother. He was lean but still muscular, looked to be in his late thirty’s. He had light blue eyes, a light yellow coat and a brown mane and tail. On his flank was a cutie mark in the shape of a flaming comet leaving a fire trail behind it. Clay looked to the stallion not sure who he was or why he had saved him, but he figured not to question it for now. Sky Blazer got to his feet and glared at the stallion.

“How dare you!” He spat with venom.

“I was about to say the same thing to you.” The stallion said calmly.

“That pony must be executed!” Sky said shaking with anger “He has stained the name pegasus! And upset the natural order! That colt is an abomination!” The stallion looked at Clay and then back to Sky.

“He looks like a normal earth pony to me. So why don’t you just fly back to whatever hole you crawled out of and stay there.” Sky gave the Pegasus stallion a murderous look.

“Step aside and let me end him or I will consider you a traitor to our kind!” The stallion lowered himself and gave a smug smile.

“Why don’t you make me?” Sky Blazer began digging at the ground as he continued his death gaze.
“Listen kid no matter what happens. Stay out of the way and if this goes south…you run as fast as you can, got me?” Clay nodded as the Pegasus turned to face Sky Blazer who let out an enraged yell and charged “This is going to get ugly.” The stallion muttered as he prepared to fight Sky Blazer.