• Published 9th May 2012
  • 11,469 Views, 1,246 Comments

Wings for a Pony - Brawney Hooves



The tale of Rainbow Dash's adopted earth pony son for his quest to obtain wings.

  • ...
20
 1,246
 11,469

Chapter 23

Clay awoke early the next morning and made his way to Ponyville hoping to meet Comet once more before he left. He made his way to the horse shoe inn and asked where he could find him. The desk attendant pointed upstairs and Clay ran up excitement filling his body. He wasn’t quite sure why he was so excited about seeing Comet. Maybe it was because he saved his life, maybe it was because he was an outsider, or maybe he was excited talking to another male for once besides Big Mac. He approached the door and knocked three times. Soon after the door opened to reveal Comet.

“Clay? What uh…what are you doing here?”

“I’d thought I’d give you that tour I promised.” Clay replied smiling.

“Already? But it’s still early.”

“I know. I have to work with my Aunt Applejack today! And I want to make sure you meet my whole family.” Comet raised an eyebrow.

“Uh, Clay. I’m flattered, but why do you care if I meet your family?”

“Because I saw how mom didn’t trust you. So I think if you make a good impression with my aunt’s maybe she’ll lighten up.”

“Clay I don’t know about…” Clay gave a pleading look. “Huh…fine.” Comet sighed smiling slightly.

“Awsome! We can start at my Aunt Twilght’s first.”

Clay led Comet around town stopping at the library. Clay knocked at the door and soon Spike answered.

“Clay! What’s up cuz?”

“Hey Spike. I came over to show Comet around town, and I decided to start here.” Spike looked at Comet and he did the same.

“Uh…Clay…you do know that Spike is a dragon right?” Comet muttered.

“Don’t worry Comet he’s not like those other dragons.” Comet looked at Spike uneasily.

“Nice to meet you Spike.” He said trying to be friendly.

“Like wise! I’ll go get Twilight.” Spike waked back into the library while Clay and Comet followed.

“Hi Clay. Didn’t expect to see you here so soon.” Twilight spotted Comet “Clay…who is this?”

“This is Comet Blaze. He saved my life the other day, so I’d thought I’d show him around.”

“Oh my goodness! What happened? Are you alright?” Twilight gasped.

“He’s fine Miss Twilight. Some crazy pony jumped him the other day and I just happened to be around at the time.” Comet reassured her.

“Well…thank you Mister Comet. Clay means a lot to us.”

“Don’t mention it”

“Well we better go. I’m supposed to be at sweet apple acres.”

“Okay. Bye Clay be safe. And goodbye to you too Comet.”

“Goodbye.” Comet replied as he left the tree “Your Aunt’s a unicorn?”

“Yeah. She’s the best magic user in Ponyville.” Clay replied with a small measure of pride.

“So besides your Aunt Applejack. Are there any other relatives I should meet?”

“Well there’s…” Before he could finish there was a loud gasp and as Clay and Comet looked around they saw a pink blur rush past them.

“What in Equestria was that?” Comet asked startled.

“Oh…that was my Aunt Pinkie Pie. She’s…a bit hyper. Oh and uh, don’t be surprised if there is a party waiting for you at your room.”

“What? Why?”

“It’s kind of her thing. She throws one for all the new ponies in town.”

“Alright. Any pony else I need to meet?” Clay tapped his chin as he thought.

“Oh yeah there’s also Aunt...ugh…” Clay was unable to finish as he was soon hit by a pile of bags.”

“Oh, good heavens Clay! Do forgive me it’s just so hard to see with all these supplies!” Rarity said apologetically.

“It’s ok Aunt Rarity. It was an accident.” Clay replied as he got up. Rarity was picking up her materials she caught a glimpse of Comet.

“Well hello there handsome.” She said batting her eyes at him.

“Um…hello.” Comet said uncertainly.

“Oh right. Aunt Rarity this is my friend Comet.”

“Pleasure to meet you Rarity.” Comet replied.

“Mmm, the pleasures all mine.” She drew herself closer to Comet and gave him a seductive smile.

“Uh…sorry Aunt Rarity, but we need to get to Applejacks. You know how it goes.”

“Ohhh. But cant your “friend” stay just a little longer?” Rarity asked as she rubbed her head against his neck.

“Sorry. But the kid needs me so where he goes I go. Maybe next time?”

“I’ll hold you to that.” She gave him a wink and sauntered away risking a quick glance at Comet’s toned flank as he and Clay continued walking.

“I’m so sorry about that Comet. Rarity is always into romantic stuff.”

“She certainly is.” Comet looked back to make sure Rarity wasn’t stalking them. “You have a lot of…unusual mares in your life.”

“And you haven’t met the other two.”

“Other two?” Clay and Comet stopped when Fluttershy came prancing towards them singing a lovely tune.

“Hi Aunt Fluttershy!” Clay yelled causing Fluttershy to shriek and hide behind a tree “Sorry.”

“Oh Clay. It’s just you.” Fluttershy whispered. She caught sight of Comet and shrieked again covering her face.

“Easy Aunt Fluttershy. He won’t hurt you he’s a friend.” Clay said trying to calm her down.

“Hello Fluttershy. I’m Comet Blaze.” Comet said being friendly.

“H-hello…I’m f-fluphhephy”She gave him a nervous glance as she mumbled quietly.

“I’m sorry what was that?” Comet asked. Fluttershy gave a small whimper.

“Uh, I think we better keep moving.” Clay said tilting his head to sweet apple acres.

“Nice meeting you Fluttershy!” Comet said as he followed Clay.

Finally they came across a hill with a typical farm house and red barn perched at the top. As they climbed they spotted Applejack already bucking a nearby apple tree.

“Hi Aunt Applejack! Sorry I’m a bit late I was showing Comet around town!” Applejack looked to Comet and furrowed her brow.

“Clay. Do you know this pony?”

“Yeah he saved my life when I got attacked yesterday.”

“You were attacked!? Who was it I’ll buck em’ so hard…”

“That…won’t be necessary Miss Applejack.”

“Whatcha mean by that?”

“He…won’t be attacking anypony ever again.”

“How do you know that?” She snapped. Comet gave Applejack a look that told her to trust him on it “Alright…Clay why don’t you start working on the trees while I help Big Mac with the gardening?” Clay nodded.

The next few hours were spent with Clay bucking apples from their branches and carrying them to the apple cellar. While Comet watched and answered any questions Clay asked. Soon Clay began asking questions trying to understand the colt better.

“So, you’ve never been to manehatten?” Comet asked.

“Nope. Lived in Ponyville all my life. It’s not too exciting, but it’s my home and I love it here.” Clay gave a tree a hard kick.

“And your mother Rainbow Dash. If you don’t mind me saying you don’t look much like her, and I haven’t met your dad yet.”

“I don’t have a dad. And my mom adopted me when she found me abandoned.”
“You were adopted?”

“Yeah. My mom told me that I was left on her door step at first. But recently she told me the truth. That she found me in the everfree forest.”

“She…she found you in the forest?”

“Yeah she was flying by when she heard crying and when she went to investigate she found me in a broken carriage.” Clay was still bucking apple trees, but Comet was dead silent “Comet…what’s wrong?” He asked worried.

“Nothing…nothing it’s just…that’s a very sad story that’s all.”

“Well it is sad. But I have my mom and my aunts, and I couldn’t be happier.” He bucked another tree.

“You really mean that don’t you?” Comet said looking at Clay with an expression Clay couldn’t place.

“Are you okay Comet.” Clay asked.

“Yeah I uh…I just need to be someplace that’s all, so I better get going.”

“Oh…well then I guess this is goodbye.” Clay said to Comet glumly.

“For now. Thanks for showing me around Clay.”

“You’re welcome.” Clay said sadly.

“Hey tell you what. Tomorrow I’ll show you some of my air tricks. Sound good?”

“That would be cool. But my mom is an ace flyer and I’ve already seen all of her moves.”

“Maybe so, but mine have a…flare to them.” Clay smiled.

“Sounds great. I’ll be over at the inn when I finish work and stop off at home.

“You’ve got it champ.” Comet ruffled Clay’s hair.

“Ow!” Clay shouted rubbing his head.

“Sorry. Guess I don’t know my own strength.” Comet waved goodbye and flew back to Ponyville. But he didn’t stop at the inn. Instead he landed outside Twilights home and knocked on the door. This time Twilight was the one who answered.

“Oh, hello Comet. What brings you here?”

“Hello again Twilight. I was wondering how good are you at doing DNA spells?”

“I’m quite good at any spell actually. A DNA should be foals play. Why do you ask?”

“I uh, need to know something.”

“Well as long as you have some DNA it should be easy. What do you want tested?”

He pulled a few strands of hair from his mane and then handed another strand to Twilight. She levitated the hair samples and concentrated.

“Should take just a few seconds.” Twilight said as she squinted her eyes focusing her magic. Slowly the purple aura around the hair samples turned blue.

“What does that mean?” Comet asked.

“It means that these two hair samples share common DNA. That means whoever the other sample belongs to is related to you. Who’s was it?” Twilight asked excitedly.

“It’s Clay’s…” Comet said quietly.