• Published 9th May 2012
  • 11,451 Views, 1,246 Comments

Wings for a Pony - Brawney Hooves



The tale of Rainbow Dash's adopted earth pony son for his quest to obtain wings.

  • ...
20
 1,246
 11,451

Chapter 26

Authors note: This chapter has been rewritten and the previous entry is no longer cannon.


Dash and Clay made their way back home. Dash was still enraged, but Clay was confused and intrigued.

“Who the buck that pony think he is trying to take you away from me! He may be your uncle but you’re my son!” Clay looked to his mother uncertainly “Well don’t worry Clay I won’t let him take you. If he wants to take you to Manehatten he’ll have to do it over my lifeless body.” Dash pulled him into a tight hug.

“Mom…maybe I should go.” Dash looked at him startled.

“W-what?”

“Mom he’s my uncle my real family. He knew my birth parents I have to go.”

“No you don’t! You don’t need him! You have me and the others…we’re you’re family.” She held him tighter.

“Mom. I know it hurts, but I want to go.” Clay said pulling back slightly “Mom he is my only hope of discovering who I am.”

“I know who you are! You’re my son that’s all you need to know. I love you Clay…please don’t leave me.” Tears began to fall from her eyes.

“Mom…I’m sorry. I have to go with him.”

“But why? Why do you need to go!?” Her voice cracked as she shouted.

“Because I’m still a blank flank mom. I haven’t discovered who I am yet, and I think it’s because I’m not with my real family. If that attack had never happened maybe…maybe I would have my cutie mark by now.”

“Clay…I don’t care if you never get you’re cutie mark. I’ll love you just the same whether you have one or not.” Tears were flowing down her face and Clay’s heart was beginning to ache for causing his mother pain. But he had to know.

“I’m sorry mom…but it’s my decision.” Dash looked at him blankly, but soon her expression then turned to anger.

“Fine! Go! If this is how you want to thank me for raising you for thirteen years then go with your real uncle and family! Stay there forever for all I care! I hope you’re very happy with them! Just don’t expect me to accept you into my life when you come crawling back!” Dash shoved him and flew up to her room slamming the door.

Clay sighed and looked to the floor. Clay stood up and slowly walked to his room. As he walked to his bedroom he heard the heart broken sobs of his mother behind the closed door. Clay approached and thought about going in to console her, but he knew that would just make it worse. He sighed and walked into his room closing the door behind him.

The next morning wasn’t any easier. Clay went down stairs and found his mother on the couch reading the paper.

“Morning mom.” He said cheerfully. Dash didn’t even flinch “Anything in the paper?” She was still silent as she flipped a page “Mom I know what you’re trying to do and I must say this is childish.” She flipped another page “Mom please stop this. I know you’re mad but that doesn’t give you an excuse to act like this.” She still said nothing “I’m not a colt anymore mom it’s my choice.” Dash was still quiet “Well I’m heading out to help Aunt Applejack. When you’re ready to talk like an adult let me know.” Clay placed his hat on his head and closed the door.

Under the hot sun Clay was bucking the apple orchards. Today though would be different. This was the time of year when the zap apples would be in bloom and Clay was looking forward to it.

“Speed it up Clay! The storms approaching and those zap apples will be sprouting like wildfire soon!” Clay gave the closest tree a hard kick and the apples feel landing in the buckets underneath. As Clay walked he looked over to the everfree forest. That was where his mother had found him all those years ago.

“Could…could the carriage that she found me in still be there?” Clay thought as he saw the leaves dance in the wind. He knew the forest was dangerous and that all sorts of creatures lived there, but he had to know. Even if he didn’t find anything he had to be sure. With the last of the apples gathered Applejack walked over and hoisted them on her back.

“You alright hon? You’ve been awful quiet today.” Clay looked to his aunt.

“Me and mom had a fight.”

“Well that’s the first time I’ve heard of you two fighhtin’. What was it about?”

“Well…I recently found out that my real family is from Manehatten. And I wanted to go there to discover who I am. Only…mom doesn’t want me to. I told her it was my choice and she got angry. And now…now she won’t talk to me or even look at me.” Applejack looked sadly at her nephew.

“Sugar cube there’s something yah gotta understand about your momma. She doesn’t take no for an answer very well. And she doesn’t like to fail. You see to your mom winning is everything. And you’re her way of becoming the best mom in Equestria. So when you want to leave her it’s kind of like she’s become the worst mom. Ah know that sounds strange but Rainbow is a complicated pony.” Clay tried to understand what was being said to him “Don’t take it personally Clay. She still loves you she just…doesn’t take losing very well.”

“But she can’t treat me like a foal forever! I have to grow up some time!”

“Ah know sugar cube. But this is hard for your mom. She hasn’t accepted the fact that the little foal she found and raised for so long doesn’t need her that much anymore.” Clay lowered his head.

“But I still need her. I need her for support. I need her to just make me feel like I have a home…and she said she didn’t care if I ever came back.” He began to sniffle slightly and Applejack gave him a light hug.

“It’ll be alright Clay…just give her time. And if she still won’t listen than I’ll make her listen.” Clay whipped his eye.

“Thanks…I think I’m going to go home.” Applejack nodded.

“If Rainbow won’t let you back in you’ll always have a home at sweet apple acres Clay.” Clay smiled and began walking. However instead of heading home like he said he made a detour…to the everfree forest.


Rainbow Dash sat at the dinner table staring blankly at the cup of coffee she had made. She had tasted it before and it tasted bland. She couldn’t bring herself to eat as she realized that she was losing her son. A tear slid down her muzzle and dropped into her coffee.

“Why would he want to leave? He has everything he needs in Ponyville.” She dried her eyes and continued staring “Did I do something wrong? Did I make him unhappy? Why would he want to leave me?” Her mind flashed back to when she had yelled at him and said to never come back “How could I say that to him? I…I really am a terrible mother. He probably will run away now and it will be all my fault!” She began to cry large tears. Suddenly there was a knock at the door. She got up and was startled to see Fluttershy looking frantic.

“Rainbow you have to come quick!”

“What’s wrong Fluttershy?”

“It’s Clay! I saw him enter the everfree forest and there is a storm coming!” Rainbow’s eyes widened and without a second thought she flew into the sky and headed for the forest of her nightmares.


Clay walked the dirt road looking for any sign of the carriage he was found in. Yet as he went deeper into the woods it became darker and harder for him to see. And he began to hear noises coming from all sides. His heart began to race as he imagined all sorts of creatures that might be waiting to attack him.

“Come on Clay! Mom risked her life to save you! You have to do this and get some answers!”

He continued trotting along the path when he heard a snap. Clay stopped and gulped. When he heard nothing he continued walking. Eventually after what felt like hours due to his fear he came across what he had been searching for. An old rotted overturned carriage with the side doors yanked wide open. Clay approached the carriage and dared to peek inside. Clay lowered himself in and began to search the interior.

“There has to be something. Anything!” He searched every nook and cranny, and when he found nothing of interest he was losing hope.

Clay sighed and removed his hat scratching his head. Then…out of the corner of his eye he spotted a slip of paper under a pile of dirt. He picked it up and removed the dust, as he did he discovered that it wasn’t a piece of paper, but a photo. He looked at it carefully and saw…himself? No…not himself in the picture he was older. And beside him was a Pegasus mare with light pink hair and stunning blue eyes with a white coat. And around her neck was a pair of Wonderbolt goggles. Clay was deeply confused. Why was there a picture of him with a mare he had never seen before? Clay moved his back leg and it brushed up against something; looking down he saw a pair of goggles. He picked them up and examined them. Clay looked to the picture again and noticed that the goggles were the same as the one the mare wore.

The picture was still slightly dirty and he brushed the rest of the dirt on the bottom of the photo. As he did he stopped suddenly; there looking back at him was a small sleeping light yellow foal in a bundle being held by the stallion and mare. That’s when it hit him. The photo was of him and his birth parents.

“Mom…dad…” As he looked at the photo tears began to escape his eyes as he realized why Comet had been so suspicious that they were related. Clay looked just like his father in every single way save for the age difference. He looked to the goggles in his other hoof and held them tightly to his chest as he cried.


Over the tops of the trees Rainbow Dash searched franticly for any sign of Clay. As she searched she heard a male voice.

“Clay where are you!” Dash looked up to see Comet flying ahead of her.

“Comet!” Dash called out.

“I’m looking for Clay! I don’t care if you want my help or not!”

“Comet…thank you.” Dash whispered. Comet nodded and they resumed their search.

Rainbow Dash looked through the trees and she spotted movement.

“Clay! Is that you?” She flew to Clay her chest tightening in anxiety “Clay it’s okay I’m not mad I just want you…”She stopped when she got a clear view of the thing she was chasing…it wasn’t Clay.

Clay began walking home with his items from the past when he heard a noise. As he listened he realized it was screaming. Clay followed the screams as he knew who they belonged to.

“Mom!”


Rainbow Dash was on the ground her head pounding and her wing and leg were in pain. Her vision blurred she tried to look at the creature that had attacked her. Standing above her was a large timber wolf with a hungry look in its glowing yellow eyes. The wolf licked its muzzle as it prepared to kill the injured pony. It opened its maw revealing sharp wooden teeth. Dash shut her eyes knowing that this was the end. Suddenly there was a yell and a yellow blur emerged from the trees that rammed into the wolf knocking it to its side.

“Get away from my mother!” Clay shouted as he positioned himself between her and the beast.

“Clay…get out of here.” Dash groaned weakly.

“No mom I’m not leaving you to die!”

“Clay please…just go…” she was fading fast. The wolf had gotten to its feet and snarled.

“Come get some!” Clay shouted as he charged at the wolf ramming it in its midsection. The wolf fell on its back and Clay began beating his hooves into its face.

“Don’t…ever…mess…with…my…mother!” The wolf swiped at Clay and he was thrown against a tree. He shook his head and charged at the wolf again ramming it in its sides. The wolf quickly recovered and rammed into Clay sending him flying and he landed on his back.

As Clay looked up he saw the wolf bearing down on him and he prepared for the worst. However before the wolf did anything A blue blur emerged and tackled the wolf causing it to fall to its legs. Clay blinked certain that he was hallucinating. The blur that had saved him was none other than Sky Tearer.

“Sky!? How the hell…?”

“You going to lie in the dirt or are you going to help me teach this beast a lesson?” Clay got up and walked to Sky’s side.

“You ready?” Clay asked.

“Always!” Sky grinned as they charged in unison and rammed the wolf sending shock waves through its body. The wolf snarled in pain as the two colts assaulted it again and again with quick blows. Eventually Sky and Clay became rapid moving blurs as they rammed and bucked the living hell out of the timber wolf.

“Think he’s had enough?” Sky asked Clay.

“No…but we should let it go.” They stopped and the wolf stood there limping and leaking tree sap. As Clay and Sky turned to check on Rainbow the wolf made one last lunge at them only to be rammed by Comet. Sky and Clay looked to him.

“This ends now!” Comet shouted. He ran at the wolf and within seconds he had a flaming trail behind him. Comet became a speeding flame as he connected with the wolf setting it on fire and the wolf howled in pain. The wolf writhed in agony as its cries began to die down and then stop completely.

“Damn…” Sky muttered. All that was left was a smoking ruin of the timber wolf. Comet cooled down and trotted back to Sky and Clay.

“Are you two alright?” They both nodded. Clay remembered his mother’s condition and ran back to her side.

“Mom! Mom wake up it’s over now!” Rainbow kept her eyes shut and didn’t move “Mom please get up!” Clay was starting to panic as he shook her harshly “Mom…please…wake up.” Tears began to fall from his eyes and fell on to her fur. Clay buried his face into her rainbow mane and began to sob loudly. Sky approached Clay and placed a hoof on his shoulder.

“I’m so sorry Clay.” Clay looked up and to his surprise Sky actually had tears in his eyes. Clay continued to sob as Comet approached held him in a tight hug.

“She loved you Clay…she would want you to know that.” Clay continued to cry as he rested his head in his uncle’s mane.

“Why…why must I have two moms taken away from me by this place!?” Clay choked out. Comet rubbed his back affectionately.

“I know the pain Clay…this place took my brother, your father away from me. It hurts deep.” Clay pulled away and sobbed. “We should…let everypony know what’s happened.” Comet got up and walked away.

“I’m…I’m going to stay here with her if that’s okay?” Comet nodded and left with Sky.


Clay trotted over to his mother and lay down beside her. He looked at her motionlessform and his heart broke knowing that he was responsible for the death of both his parents.

“I’m sorry mom…this…this is all my fault.” He said as if he was expecting her to answer “I wish we hadn’t fought…I wish…I wish I had never came into your life…at least then you would be alive…and you wouldn’t even know me.” He inched closer to her and felt his fur press against hers. As he looked at her for even the slightest sign that that she was still alive, tears flowed down his face “I…I tried so hard to be the perfect son for you mom…because you were perfect…I was wrong mom. I didn’t need wings…you were my wings. You were always there for me like an angel…and the one time you needed me to save you…I couldn’t do it.” He buried his in his front hooves “I failed you mom…I failed you…I would give up my past…my magic wings…my life in a second…if it meant that it would bring you back.” Clay had never felt so alone in all his life as he did right then and there.

As he lay there crying his eyes out he suddenly felt somthing nuzzle the back of his head, Clay looked up and saw two beautiful magenta eyes looking back at him. He knew those eyes anywhere.

"M...mom?" His voice shook uncontrollably.

"Hello Sweetie." She whispered.

"Mom! You're alive!" Clay stood up and hugged his mother for dear life as tears escaped his eyes.

"Of course I'm alive. You can't keep me down forever." She winced slightly as Clay looked at her with teary eyes.

"I...I thought I'd never see you again mom. I was so scared." Dash felt his tears dampen the back of her neck as he let out loud sobs.

"Shhh...it's alright Clay...I'm fine, so stop being sappy before you make me all sappy." She gave a slight sniffle "Did you really mean all those things you said Clay?" Clay nodded still holding his mother tightly.

"Of course I did...I would have given anything to make sure you were okay...I love you mom...more than you'll ever know." Clay sobbed.

“I love you too Clay…with all my heart.” The two ponies sat in the forest caught in that loving embrace. When suddenly there was a flash. Clay and Rainbow looked around and Rainbows eyes fell on Clay’s flank.

“Clay…your flank!” Clay craned his neck and he saw there for all of Equestria to see was a rainbow bolt minus the cloud like his mother’s crossing with a flaming comet similar to his uncles.

“I…I…I don’t…” Clay began to cry even harder. “I have… I…” Dash smiled at Clay warmly.

“I told you would get there soon enough.” They gave each other another hug before standing up and walking out of the everfree forest.