• Published 9th May 2012
  • 11,482 Views, 1,246 Comments

Wings for a Pony - Brawney Hooves



The tale of Rainbow Dash's adopted earth pony son for his quest to obtain wings.

  • ...
20
 1,246
 11,482

Chapter 30

Everything was perfect. The weather was nice. The apples on the orchards were red and appetizing. And friends and family were everywhere. Clay couldn’t be happier between his fiancé Firefly his best stallion and mare Sky and Dinky, and his mother and uncle living together. Best of all he had met Firefly's father and had actually made a good impression. It was shaky at first, but even with his mother being a Wonderbolt things were fine between the two famillies. Clay was feeling so energized that he was bucking through the red delicious trees like noponys business. He took a moment to rest and removed his old Stanton hat to wipe the sweat from his brow.

“Thirsty Clay?” Applejack said offering a container of apple juice.

“You know it.” Clay replied taking the juice and chugging it and whipping his mouth.

“Land sakes! At this rate we’ll be out of apples before sun down! You’re really putting in the work today nephew.” Clay smiled as he placed the hat on his head.

“Well you know how my mom loves your cider. I want to make sure she has plenty of it.” Applejack smiled and placed a hoof on Clays shoulder.

“Ah couldn’t ask for a better worker or nephew.” Clay smiled back.

“And I couldn’t ask for a better boss or aunt.” As Applejack began to blush the sound of wings were heard. They looked up to see Firefly land gracefully a few feet away from Clay.

“Hey honey I didn’t expect to see you here.” Clay walked over and kissed her on the lips. “You just made my day a lot better.” Firefly smiled at her fiancé. “So what brings you here?” Clay asked.

“I need to talk to you about something.” Clay raised an eyebrow.

“Can it wait? I’ve still have some trees to buck.”

“No this is…really important.” Clay looked to Applejack and she nodded. Firefly and Clay walked to a secluded spot and faced each other.

“So…what do you want to talk about?” Firefly kicked the dirt nervously and avoided Clays gaze.

“I’ve been thinking about the future…our future and…I want you to know that I’m glad that I’m sharing it with you. But…something came up.” Clay’s eyes widened.

“Don’t tell me you’re getting cold hooves before the wedding! It’s in two weeks!” Clay said panicking.

“No, no I’m not I promise! It’s just…” She looked away.

“Firefly…what’s going on? You’re starting to scare me.” Firefly looked back into Clay’s eyes and he saw that she was crying. “Sweetie…what’s wrong?” Firefly took a deep breath.

“I’m…I’m pregnant Clay.” Clay looked at her stunned.

“You’re…you’re pregnant?” She nodded tearfully. “This…this is great news Firefly…why are you crying?”

“I…I thought that if I told you I was going to have a foal you’d…you’d leave me.” Firefly began to sob harder. Clay placed a hoof on her face and smiled.

“I’d never leave you Firefly…I love you.” Firefly looked to Clay tears running down her face.

“I’m scared Clay. I don’t want to go through the…changes and the mood swings and cravings. I…I know I’ll be hard to live around when I get like that.” Clay kissed her on the head.

“I’ll put up with it, and I promise that no matter what happens…I’ll still love you.”

“Even when I’m…fat.” Firefly sniffled.

“Even when you’re fat.” Clay said giving her a loving hug. Firefly gave her own hug and smiled.

"Clay...how can you be so calm? If my dad finds out that we rutted before the wedding he'll kill you.

"He won't find out. We live miles away from Canterlot. And he only visits every couple of months. We'll tell him some time after the wedding and he'll be none the wiser."

"What if I get sick during the ceremony?"

"Nerves." Clay said calmly.

“I couldn’t do this without you.” Firefly said quietly.

“You won’t have to.” Clay replied.

“Hey what’s the holdup you two! Yah aren’t done apple buckin’ yet Clay!” Applejack shouted.

“I’ll be there soon Aunt Applejack. I’m just enjoying the news!”

“What news?” Applejack asked raising an eyebrow.

“You’re going to be a great aunt!”

“Beg your pardon?” Applejack asked curiously.

“Never mind. You’ll find out soon enough.” Applejack rolled her eyes and walked to the farm.

“Clay…” Firefly said sheepishly. Clay turned his attention to her. “What if…what if the baby doesn’t like me?” Clay wrapped a foreleg around her.

“Of course the baby will like you. You’re its mother.” Firefly didn’t look convinced. “Look if a pony like my mom can have a son that’s not hers that loves her with all his heart, then so can you.”

“I’m no Rainbow Dash.” Firefly whispered.

“No you’re not. You’re Firefly…soon to be greatest mom in Ponyville.” Clay gave her a gentle nuzzle.

“I love you Clay.” Firefly said nuzzling him back.

“I love you too Firefly.” Clay whispered. Firefly kissed his cheek and flew into the sky to tell the others the news. Clay walked back to the trees and took a moment to reflect.

“Good friends. Two families that loves me. A fiancé that loves me. And a foal on the way. I was wrong before…now my life is perfect.” Clay thought as he went to the nearest tree and gave it a solid kick with a warm smile on his face.


Two Weeks Later:


Clay and Firefly had just said their vows and were making their way to a flying chariot similar to how Twilight had arrived in Ponyville. All around them family members and friends including Twilight, Spike , and the others, his mother and uncle, Sky and Dinky, Firefly’s father and Germane, Soarin and Spitfire with their two children, the cutie mark crusaders, Big Mac, and even Shining Armor and princess Cadence cheered while in the background the song Love is in Bloom blared above the crowd. As Clay and Firefly stopped to wave to the group, Clay caught sight of his mother and Uncle Comet. Both of them had joyful smiles on their faces.

“Firefly…do you mind if I talk to them before we go?” She nodded.

“I need to talk to my dad too. Meet you back here.”

Dash and Clay gave each other shy looks, and then they gave a brief hug. They looked at each other with teary eyes.

“I’m…I’m so proud of you Clay. You’ve made me so happy.” Clay smiled.

“I’m glad mom…thank you.” Dash raised an eyebrow.

“For what?”

“For finding me and…for being the most awesome mom in Equestria.” Clay gave his mother a tight hug as they both let tears run down their faces.

“We’re both proud of you Clay.” Comet replied.

“I know Uncle Comet…thanks for being here.” Clay wrapped a foreleg around his uncle and hugged them both tightly. “I love you both so much.” Clay whispered.

“We love you too Clay.” Dash whispered back. Clay released them and whipped his eyes.

“She’s waiting for you.” Comet said looking past Clay.

Clay looked back to see his wife smiling at him in her gorgeous white dress.

“Don’t forget I’m going to be performing next week. I need my number one fan there.” Dash said ruffling Clay’s mane.

“I wouldn’t dream of missing it mom.” Clay gave her a quick kiss on the side of her face and smiled “Love you mom.” Clay turned and ran to his wife’s side, and they both entered the carriage. Clay and Firefly gave a final wave to the crowd and then Firefly threw the bouquet which landed in Dinky’s hooves. She turned to Sky giving a loving smile while Sky blushed nervously.

“So are you ready to start your new life?” Clay asked Firefly.

“No.” Clay looked at her startled. “I’m ready to start our life.” She smiled and kissed him on the lips.

The chariot took off into the sky and it was soon met with a loud bang and was soon met with another. Clay and Firefly looked to see a double sonic rainboom in the distance. Clay chuckled and shook his head.

“That’s my mom for you.” Firefly looked to Clay looking worried.

“Clay…are you sure that you’re okay with never flying again? I mean…there is a good chance that our foal will be a pegasus too. I just don’t want you to feel like you have to be a pegasus to connect with our foal. ” Clay smiled.

“You, my family and this baby…” He placed a hoof on her belly. “You all are my wings…and I wouldn’t trade it for all the wings in the world.” Clay and Firefly smiled and nuzzled each other lovingly as they slowly faded into the distance.