• Published 9th May 2012
  • 11,472 Views, 1,246 Comments

Wings for a Pony - Brawney Hooves



The tale of Rainbow Dash's adopted earth pony son for his quest to obtain wings.

  • ...
20
 1,246
 11,472

Chapter 16

Day 3: Part 4 the Truth

Twilight and the others along with Dinky waited outside as the sky began to darken. The six pairs of eyes scanned the sky for any sign of Clay or Rainbow. Twilight was the first to spot something on the horizon.

“Girls I see something!” She pointed to the sky and the others looked to where she was pointing to see a yellow Pegasus colt heading in their direction.

“It’s Clay!” Twilight and the others sighed in relief as he Clay lowered himself to the ground.

“Clay, oh thank heavens you’re safe!” Rarity exclaimed.

“Oh, you’re bleeding!” Fluttershy said panicking.

“I’m fine Aunt Fluttershy really. Just a few cuts and bruises that’s all.”

Once the panic had died down the five mares started to remember that their nephew had grown wings.

“So Dinky was telling the truth. You do have wings.” Applejack said in disbelief.

“I must say Clay they are simply gorgeous. Look how they shine in the moonlight!” Rarity said her eyes absorbing every detail of Clay’s wings.

“They’re so beautiful.” Fluttershy cooed.

“Yeah they’re fine ah guess.” Applejack said uncertainly.

“Are you crazy Applejack? Those are the most super-duper amazingly shiniest most perfect wings ever!” Pinkie Pie shouted bouncing excitedly.

“Wow…I didn’t think my wings would get this much positive attention…thanks.” Clay rubbed the back of his head.

“Yeah, yeah real happy for yah.” Applejack said unenthusiastically.

“Applejack what is the matter with you?” Twilight asked.

“Nothing! Congratulations Clay yah finally got what yah wanted. Now you can go off and do crazy stunts and taunt all us regular ponies.” Clay looked at Applejack startled by her statement.

“Aunt Applejack I wouldn’t taunt you or any others because they can’t fly.” Applejack simply scoffed and started walking back to sweet apple acres.

“Now what was that all about?” Twilight asked puzzled.

“Never mind her Clay. The rest of us love your wings!” said Rarity.

“Thanks…uh listen if you guys don’t mind it’s been a long day and mom should be back soon so I’d like to get home.”

“We understand Clay we’re…we’re just glad you’re safe.” Fluttershy whispered as she gave him a loving hug.

Clay said goodnight to his aunts and trotted back home exhaustion threatening to overcome him. He hoped that his mother would save the lecture for tomorrow. As he walked he saw Dinky looking at him worriedly. She could tell from the sadness in his eyes and his cuts and bruises that things went the worst possible way with telling the truth to Firefly. She trotted up to him and gave him a small hug which he returned as best he could. They then let go and said a silent goodbye as they walked to their homes.

After what felt like hours Clay had made his way home and entered slowly and silently. As he entered his home Clay emitted a loud sigh and collapsed on the couch. Clay ached all over from his fight with Sky, but the worst pain he was experiencing was his heart. The fact that Firefly never wanted to see him again had left him hurt, angry, and devastated. Clay thought back to when she had yelled at him and a tear fell down his muzzle. Clay lay down and rested his head on a pillow. His eyes grew heavy and before he realized it. He had fallen asleep.

Clay awoke to find himself in a forest. It was dark and he didn’t recognize his surroundings. Clay slowly got up and looked around.

“Hello! Is anypony around?” The only answer was the wind through the trees. Clay began to grow nervous when he heard a childish giggle. He spun around to see a unicorn filly.

“Dinky?” Clay asked the filly. The filly giggled again and ran into the trees “Come back!” Clay ran after the filly trying not to lose track of her.

As Clay ran the trees began to get thicker and larger. He was starting to lose sight of the filly when suddenly he came into a clearing. The filly had stopped and was standing in a ray of moon light. Now that Clay could see her he could see that it wasn’t Dinky. The unicorn filly looked around six years old, her coat was white and her mane and tail were beautiful silver. The most outstanding feature about the filly was her eyes. They were a brilliant blood red that could be seen even in the dark.

Clay stood motionless as he looked into the filly’s eyes. Then she started to approach him. Clay wasn’t sure what to do and she was slowly drawing closer. His heart pounded in his chest afraid of the unicorn’s intent. Finally the filly was inches away from Clay as he held his breath. The filly looked into his brown eyes with her red ones; then to his surprise she brought her head closer to Clay’s legs and began nuzzling them like he did with his mother when he was her age. Clay remained silent as the unicorn gave soft hums while nuzzling his leg.

“Who are you?” Clay asked suddenly. Before the filly could answer there was a bright green flash. The filly looked at him in horror. She quickly ran behind him and began cowering and whimpering “What’s going on? What was that light?” Clay asked looking to the filly.

The little unicorn said nothing and began trembling tears running down her face. Clay looked ahead of him and saw a figure approach. Judging from the filly's reaction it was clear that who ever this pony was wanted her.

“Who are you? What do you want with her?” Clay shouted. The figure continued to approach and then began to emanate a green light from its forehead. Before Clay could react the light shot forward and hit him square in the chest, and Clay found himself collapsing to the ground.

Clay awoke startled and saw that he was back in his house. Clay shook his head trying to make sense of what he had just dreamt and his mind flashed to the filly unicorn.

“Who was she?” Clay thought his mind buzzing with questions. Finally he sighed and decided on being a little delusional from the fight. But even as he rested his head again trying to rest, he couldn’t help but think how real the whole thing had felt.

Rainbow Dash landed outside her home. Her mind was swimming with emotions. Anger at Clay for lying to her and sneaking behind her back. Fear from his injuries, and relief that he was safe at home. She decided to settle on angry and burst through the front door.

“Clay you are so…” She stopped when she saw Clay on the couch out cold. He was sleeping peacefully, but he looked terrible. His body was covered in black and blue bruises, he had a cut on his left ear, and there was even a small bump on his forehead. Surprisingly the only thing that didn’t look damaged at all was his wings. In fact they looked brand new.
Dash looked at his bruise ridden body and walked over to the couch. He looked so hurt and yet so peaceful at the same time.

“I’ll talk to you tomorrow.” She whispered as she grabbed a blanket with her teeth and draped it over his body.
Clay shifted under the blanket causing Dash to smile. She ruffled his mane slightly and then kissed the side of his face before turning off the lights and heading upstairs to her bedroom.