• Published 9th May 2012
  • 11,469 Views, 1,246 Comments

Wings for a Pony - Brawney Hooves



The tale of Rainbow Dash's adopted earth pony son for his quest to obtain wings.

  • ...
20
 1,246
 11,469

Chapter 10

Clay was sleeping peacefully when suddenly he heard a knock at the door.

“Mom there’s someone at the door.” Clay said keeping his eyes shut, but the knocking continued.

“Mom the door!” Clay said again shutting his eyes tighter, his mother didn’t answer and the knocking still continued. Clay let out a frustrated groan got up and walked to the door.

“I hear you I’m coming!” Clay shouted tired and groggy, he reached the door and opened it to reveal to his surprise Firefly.

“Hi.” She said shyly.

“Firefly w-what are you doing here?” Firefly looked at him with those violet eyes of hers.

“I came to see you.”

“You…came to see me?” Clay said in disbelief as Firefly smiled at him. “Why did you want to see me?”

“Because I realized something that day when you saved my life.”

“What would that be?” Clay asked confused.

Firefly moved closer to him giving him a saucy look “I love you.” Clay blinked.

“You…you love me?” Firefly moved closer to Clay almost touching his snout.

“I do.” Firefly whispered she then shut her eyes and formed her lips into a kiss and Clay did the same; the two ponies moved closer for their first kiss until…

“Clay are you listening?” Clay’s eyes opened as he saw Twilight looking at him with a slightly frustrated expression.

“Wha-what was that?” Clay said startled.

“Clay you were day dreaming again.”

“No I-I was listening.” Clay lied his eyes darting back and forth while twilight gave him an annoyed glance.

“Then what did I just ask you to do?”

“You wanted me to…help put the books back?” He forced a smile hoping he guessed right.

“Hmmm.” Twilight said as she looked at her nephew suspiciously. “Well get to it then.”

Clay gave a relived sigh as he moved to a pile of books and started placing them in their respective spots. He almost got in trouble, ever since he saved Firefly’s life five weeks ago Clay had done nothing but daydream about the day he would meet her again. And for his aunts it was becoming a problem as he almost burned down sugar cube corner while helping Pinkie Pie with some cupcakes. As he placed them away he dropped one of the books and it opened as it landed.

“Crap.” Clay said bending over to pick it back up.

But he soon stopped when he saw the page the book had open to. “Temporary wings and cloud walking spell for fast and exciting travels.” Clay blinked at the words he was reading “Temporary wings?” Clay couldn’t believe what he was reading. He had always wanted to fly. To be like his mother, but he knew that those days of pretending to fly were over when she couldn’t carry him around anymore, but even after that Clay never stopped wanting to fly to be a true Pegasus and not an Earth pony. Clay knew that his mom loved him but when he was younger he always thought that maybe if he had wings like her then he could be her true son and not just some foal she found.
Clay picked up the book after he had finished with the others and found a quiet corner for him to read his new obsession, as he read Clay discovered that with the right amount of magic and if it was truly what he wanted he could have wings for a total of three days before the magic wore off. Clay looked at the last sentence.

“Three days with wings?” Clay thought about whether or not he should continue with this fantasy of his.

“What should I do if I get this spell to work? Should I go to Cloudsdale? Should I just fly around? Or should I…” Clay stopped as the image of Firefly popped into his head.

“No, I know exactly what I’m going to do if I get my wings!” Clay thought getting up with a sense of determination.

“I’m going to find Firefly and tell her how I feel about her, and damn the consequences!” Clay shouted momentarily forgetting where he was as he picked up the book, but then a thought struck him that brought his enthusiasm to a halt.

“But how do I get that much magic to get the spell to work!”

Clay thought for a moment and then remembered what his mother had told him about the day she won the best young flyers competition, and how all his aunts had come to Cloudsdale to cheer her on. Aunt Twilight had used her magic to give her and the others the ability to walk on clouds.

“Aunt Twilight could do it!” Clay thought his enthusiasm returning.

“Oh but…would she do it for me? No…she’d never let me fly without moms permission, and mom won’t let me fly she’d be too worried about me getting hurt or something.” Clay sighed feeling saddened.

“But if I can’t get Twilight to do it…then who?”

“Clay are those books put away yet?” Twilight called from upstairs.

“Yes Aunt Twilight.” “Alright Clay you can go home now.” Twilight replied from her room.

“Actually I was wondering if I could check out one of the books.”

“Sure just write down your name and the title of the book and I’ll do the rest.”

“Thanks, bye Aunt Twilight!” Clay shouted as he signed the parchment on the desk and ran out the library with the flight spell book.

Clay walked outside and found a nice tree to sit under while he read the spell again.

“It looks complicated. Twilight could definitely do it, but I can’t ask her without her telling mom.” Clay frowned as he thought rubbing his head with his hoof.

As he did a shadow fell on him and he looked up to see Dinky’s smiling face.

“Hey Clay. What are you reading?”

“I found a spell that gives unicorns and earth ponies wings for three days.” Dinky’s eyes widened.

“Really? Oh let me see!” Dinky walked over to Clay’s side and read the book. “Wow I didn’t think a spell like that existed.” Clay shrugged.

“Me neither. But can you imagine it Dinky? I could have wings for three whole days!” Dinky looked at Clay curiously.

“So why haven’t you used it yet?”

“Because my mom and Twilight would never let me fly like this.” Clay sighed sadly.

Clay looked at Dinky who had a slightly saddened expression. He then brought his eyes to her horn…and then it hit him.”

“That’s it!” Clay shouted startling Dinky.

“What’s it?” She asked.

“You could do it Dinky! You give me my wings!” Dinky blinked.

“Me? B-but I just started on advanced spells. I don’t know if I could do it. And besides I don’t want to mess up the spell and hurt you Clay.”

“Come on Dinky you’re my only hope. You have to do it.”

“Can’t you just ask your mom to give you permission?” Clay shook his head.

“No I can’t risk mom refusing me this…it means too much.” Dinky looked to the ground.

“I don’t know about this Clay.” Clay placed his hooves on her shoulders and looked at her pleadingly.

“Please Dinky; you’re the only one I trust with something like this. If I could use magic I’d help you.”

“But you can’t use magic Clay…and what if you get hurt because of me?”

“You won’t…I trust you Dinky…please.” Dinky looked into Clays eyes and saw the fear and desperation in his face. Finally she sighed and nodded. Clay gave Dinky a big hug which she returned.

“Thank you Dinky…I won’t forget this.” The broke the hug and walked away to find a private field they could use the spell in peace.

As Clay stood in the field brimming with excitement Dinky looked over the spell and then looked to Clay.

“Well it will be hard, but I think I can get it right.” She gave Clay an uncertain look. “Are you sure this is what you want Clay?” Clay became quiet looking thoughtful, and then he looked back at Dinky with a determined expression.

“Yes…I’m sure.” Dinky sighed.

“Alright…here it goes.” She began to concentrate and a white light began to form around her horn. Clay shut his eyes awaiting the inevitable.

As the magic continued to build Dinky prayed with all her might that she wouldn’t end up harming her oldest friend, until finally when she could no longer hold it the magic was released and a flash occurred hitting Clay and sending Dinky flying backwards. Dinky shook her head and looked to see a pillar of smoke where Clay once stood. Fearing that she had obliterated him she called his name.

“Clay! Clay are you alright say something!” There was no response. “Clay, please…answer me.” There was still no response from the smoke. Dinky hung her head as large tears fell from her eyes “What have I done?” She sobbed. Suddenly when she was about to spiral into depression she heard a voice.

“I…I…”

“Clay is that you! Are you alright?” Dinky cried looking to the smoke.

“I...I…”

“Clay are you hurt? What’s going on?” She asked Clay’s shaky voice.

“I…I…I have wings.” The smoke finally cleared and standing in the middle was Clay not as an earth pony, but as a pegasus with yellow wings that gave an out worldly shine in the sunlight.

Dinky stared in awe at what she was seeing as Clay looked to his new appendages and flapped them slightly to make sure they were functional. Clay looked to his right wing and was silent. Finally after a long minute Dinky noticed a tear run down Clays face.

“They’re beautiful…” Clay suddenly ran up to Dinky and held her in a bone crushing hug. “Thank you Dinky, thank you! A thousand times thank you!” Clay released Dinky as she started gasping for air.

“You’re…you’re welcome Clay.” Clay went back to admiring his wings. “What are you going to do now?” She asked.

“I’m going to find Firefly if she won’t come to me…then I’ll come to her.”

“The filly you won’t stop talking about that doesn’t even know you exist?” Clay looked back at Dinky.

“She knows I exist…just not much else about me.” Dinky raised an eyebrow.

“Well I can’t stop you since I used all my magic on that spell, so do what you want, but...please be careful.” Clay smiled.

“I will Dinky…thank you.”

“Just remember that the spell only lasts for three days Clay. After that…it’s over for good.”

“What do you mean?” Clay asked slightly startled.

“I mean that once the spell wears off you’ll never be able to use it again. Some kind of magic failsafe from mutating the pony it’s used on.” Clay looked at his wings sadly for a moment, but his resolve quickly returned.

“Three days is all I need.” He said confidently, he then turned away from Dinky.

“Where are you going?” She said after him.

Clay ran for a few seconds as Dinky followed; and then stopped and looked back to her with a smug smile which for a brief moment reminded Dinky of Rainbow Dash.

“To find the love of my life!”

Clay splayed his wings to their full extent feeling overpowered and began to flap them slowly and began to remember everything he had learned from books and watching his own mother, he flapped harder and slowly began to lift off the ground. Dinky stared as Clay rose higher and higher until he was several feet off the ground and then with some effort started to move forward if very unsteadily until he disappeared behind a cloud. Dinky watched the sky worried for Clay as he vanished, then out of nowhere she saw him dive straight for her and at the last second pulled up and flew straight up into the sky. As Clay followed her friend he did a back flip into the sky cheering at the top of his lungs as he twisted in the air before diving back down to the ground and pulling up at the last second and once again faded into the distance as he flew off to begin his search. Dinky stared in amazement at what Clay had accomplished in such a short time. Impressive, but reckless.

“Boys.” Dinky muttered as she continued staring at the sky and then picked up the spell book.