• Published 9th May 2012
  • 11,488 Views, 1,246 Comments

Wings for a Pony - Brawney Hooves



The tale of Rainbow Dash's adopted earth pony son for his quest to obtain wings.

  • ...
20
 1,246
 11,488

Chapter 7

The Doctor stumbled into the Tardis, the dark magic working its way through his body. He walked silently through its interior and raised a hoof to his face as it began to glow, and at that moment he knew it was his time.

He began thinking of all the ponies and griffons and other creatures of Trottingham he had traveled with throughout the years on countless adventures. . . and then how in some form or another they all left. That is how he felt now as he looked around the Tardis, alone. All those friends he had made and not one of them were there with him. He knew why, when he regenerated it would be too dangerous for anypony to be around him, but still he hated being alone. But he had to face this death alone and perhaps that was for the best.

As the Tardis traveled through space and time the Doctor looked mournfully at a window with Equestria in its view. He was going to miss it. . . well this Doctor was. Perhaps he would see his companions again someday, but they wouldn’t recognize him if he did.

“Always leaving in some way or another.” Feelings of fear and sadness filled him as he realized that there was no way of escaping his fate this time.

As the regeneration spell began to activate fully he looked back on all he had accomplished in this form and said sadly “I don’t want to go.”

His body began to radiate with healing energy, making him shine like a beacon.

“I could have done so much more.” The Doctor thought as he began to change, he started breathing heavily as he glowed brighter, purging the dark magic from his body. He fought it at first but in the end he had no choice. He let go, releasing a damaging blast of energy within the Tardis.


“No you can’t go Doctor!” Clay shouted at the book he was reading, tears starting to form in his eyes. His mother entered the room looking startled

“Clay what’s wrong?” His mother asked, worried that he was having another nightmare. Clay shut the book and quickly dried the tears from his eyes

“Nothing’s wrong, Mom.” Clay replied nervously. Dash looked puzzled, so he continued, “I, uh…was reading one of my books and uh…”

Dash smiled at Clay, looking relived. Then she noticed that his eyes were damp. “Are you going to be okay?”

“Yeah, I’ll be fine.”

Dash gave him a look and then closed his bedroom door.

Clay looked down at the book he was reading and then set it back on the shelf.

“How can the Doctor just die?”

He loved the book he had gotten from Aunt Twilight years ago, and the thought that it was over and the Doctor was dead was making Clay feel depressed. He didn’t even want to see the rest of the book as he left his room. The Doctor's death wasn’t the only reason he was feeling sad, he had read the book to take his mind off of the filly that he had seen earlier today.

The whole time he walked back home she was all Clay could think about. Who was she? What was she doing over Sweet Apple Acres? And more importantly would he see her again?

“Clay are you alright?” His mother asked him. Clay realized that he had reached the bottom of the stairs and had been staring absentmindedly when he got there. Clay looked at his mom, who was looking at him with a concerned expression. He then realized that he had never talked about love before or how to handle it. He decided to start now.

“Mom you’re a girl right?” Clay asked.

Dash looked at Clay blankly. “Last time I checked I was. Why do you ask?”

Clay looked at the ground and began kicking it. He knew this was going to be awkward. “What do girls…like?”

“Clay, what’s going on with you?” Dash asked curiously,
Clay slowly raised his head to look his mom in the eyes.

“Well…I saw this filly today and I think I…like her.”

Dash's mouth dropped as she looked at Clay and then ran up to him and started to ruffle his mane

“Ha! Your first crush! I can’t believe it!” Dash said happily

“Mom cut it out!” Clay shouted as he pulled away

“Sorry, Clay.” Dash grinned. “So what kind of pony is she and what’s her name?”

“She’s a pegasus, and. . . I didn’t get her name.”

Dash frowned slightly “Okay, well what did she look like?”

“She was pink, with a blue mane that kind of looked like yours, and she had a cutie mark with two blue bolts.”

Dash thought for a moment. “She doesn’t sound familiar to me. Sorry, sweetie.”

Clays face fell. “What if I never see her again.”

Dash placed a hoof on his shoulder. “Of course you’ll see her again, there aren't that many ponies in Ponyville. You just have to keep looking, that’s all, and so will I.”

Clay looked up at his mother, who looked back at him with a loving smile. He smiled. “Thanks Mom, you…you always make me feel better.”

“Hey, that’s my job as your mom.”

Clay gave his mother a small hug and then released her as she said, “Oh, I almost forgot! Tonight is the Grand Galloping Gala, and I have to meet The Wonderbolts there. Since all of your aunts are going, I’ve decided to make you my plus one.”

Clays face fell again. “But Mom, the Grand Galloping Gala is so boring! Do I really have to go?”

“I can’t leave you here by yourself, and I have to go. I’m the captain of The Wonderbolts and that includes certain obligations. Now come on, we need to get you to Rarity’s so she can make your suit.”

Clay began to mutter to himself as he followed his mother.


Clay looked downcast as Dash led him to the Carousel Boutique. He had been to the Gala before when he was younger, Spitfire had been eleven months pregnant at the time and couldn’t attend as she had gone into labor, so his mother had to fill in. She had taken him with her, since none of his aunts were in Ponyville to watch him at the time. He was only eight and was bored to tears while he was there, and the posh ponies who didn’t take kindly to him trying to make his own fun didn’t help. Clay was not looking forward to trying to be on his best behavior while his mother talked with those posh ponies.

Clay and Dash finally reached their destination. Dash opened the door which rang a bell alerting Rarity to their arrival.

“Rainbow Dash, how lovely to see you again!” Rarity said with enthusiasm.

“Hey Rarity. I guess it's been a while since we saw each other. Since I became captain of The Wonderbolts, at least.”

“Oh I know, it feels like ages since we last spoke. Now what brings you to my boutique?”

“I’m here to get Clay a suit for the Gala this evening. I hope I didn’t get you at a bad time.”

Rarity looked down and noticed Clay beside Dash. “Why look at you Clay, you’ve grown so much that I hardly
recognized you!” She grabbed Clay in a tight hug. “I always have time to make something for my darling nephew. Now come with me, so I can take your measurements.”

Clay gave his mother a pleading look as he was dragged to the back and placed on a stand while Rarity levitated some measuring tape and started measuring him. After she finished, Rarity summoned some fabrics and scissor’ and began to quite literally work her magic in fashioning a suit for Clay. Finally Rarity finished and told Clay to try it on in the dressing room. Clay took the clothes and took a quick glance at his mom as he pushed past the door.
Dash and Rarity decided to catch up while Clay got dressed.

“So, Rainbow Dash, how is it being captain of The Wonderbolts? Is it everything you imagined?”

“Hay yeah, it is!” Dash said enthusiastically.

“Well I’m glad to hear it. And how is Clay doing these days is he still feeling. . . misplaced?” Rarity remembered how upset Clay was at his seventh birthday party and had wondered if that was still an issue.

Dash shook her head “Nope he seems pretty happy around home but. . .” Dash looked to the dressing room and then back at Rarity. “he has some new problems.”

“New problems? Whatever do you mean?”

Dash looked again at the door and leaned in closer to her friend and whispered, “Clay's in love.”

Rarity’s eyes sparkled “He is?! Oh how adorable!” Dash shushed Rarity.

“Who is she?” Rarity asked in a quieter tone.

“He didn’t get her name, but she’s a pegasus and she’s already got her cutie mark.” Dash whispered.

“Love at first sight, how romantic.” Rarity said dreamily.

“Actually I don’t know if she feels the same way, he wasn’t very big on how they met.”

“Aren’t you going to ask him?” Rarity asked.

“I will later, but for right now I’m just trying to find out who she is. Maybe you’ve seen her she’s pink with a blue mane and two blue bolts for her cutie mark?”

Rarity thought for a moment then shook her head. “Sorry, I haven’t seen any ponies that fit that description.”

“Ah, well there's still time to find her. I want Clay to be happy. . . and besides I want to meet this filly that stole his heart.”

Rarity blinked. “Is he that smitten?”

“I don’t know but he asked me for advice. He likes her enough to talk to his mom.”

Rarity wrinkled her brow. “Has he had. . . the talk yet?”

Dash began rubbing the back of her head. “Heh, no, but I guess he is old enough for that now. Especially since he seems interested in fillies now.”

Rarity smiled. “Well I have faith that you will know when to tell him what he needs to know.”

As Dash and Rarity continued talking, Clay was still in the dressing room banging his head against the wall in embarrassment.