• Published 9th May 2012
  • 11,469 Views, 1,246 Comments

Wings for a Pony - Brawney Hooves



The tale of Rainbow Dash's adopted earth pony son for his quest to obtain wings.

  • ...
20
 1,246
 11,469

Chapter 14

Day 3: The Truth Part 2

Clay Hurried to Canterlot as fast as he was able to. He wanted to get to Firefly before his mother met her. His mind raced with questions and his chest was filled with anxiety between the fact that soon his secret would be exposed to the love of his life and his mother. Clay finally spotted the familiar roof of Firefly’s home and landed softly on the path and stopped at the door. He lifted a hoof to the door, but he stopped short as more thoughts ran through his head.

“What if she hates me because I’m an earth pony? What if she never wants to see me again? What if…what if mom hates me?” A tear fell down his face at the thought, but he shook his head and began to look determined.

“No! Mom would never stop loving me, and if Firefly hates me…so be it.”

Clay took a deep breath and raised a hoof to the door again, but before it made contact the handle turned and the door opened to reveal a pink Pegasus.

“Clay! This is so weird I was just about to look for you!” Firefly smiled at him and he smiled back. However Clay’s face fell almost immediately.

“Clay…what’s wrong?”

“Firefly….can we talk?”

“Sure. We can talk later after we get some flying in.”

“Firefly please. This…this is important.” Firefly raised an eyebrow, but nodded in agreement. Clay and Firefly walked away from her home and found a secluded spot so they could speak privately.

“Okay Clay now what is so important that it can’t wait until later?” Clay sighed deeply as he avoided her gaze.

“Firefly before I tell you the truth I just want to say one thing.” Fire fly gave him an odd look, but said nothing and sat on the ground as he did the same.

“Firefly…these last few days have been some of the best days of my life. I’ve enjoyed every minute I have spent with you. I…I think you are the most beautiful filly I have ever seen and I want to keep having days like yesterday with you.” His face began to blush slightly as he tried to find the words. “What I’m trying to say is I…I love you.” Firefly looked at Clay shocked as her face began to redden.

“I…I love you too Clay. I’ve loved you from the moment I woke up and saw your face looking down at me when you saved my life.” Clay smiled at the news that she loved him back, but that love was tainted and it caused his face to fall.

“But…I…I’ve been lying to you.” He avoided her eyes.

“About what?”

“Firefly…I’m…I’m not what you think I am.”

“What…you’re not really with the Wonderbolts I don’t care about that.”

“No that’s not what I was going to say.” Firefly looked at him confused and he took another breath bracing himself.

“Firefly…I’m not…” He stopped before he could finish and looked away from her. He was too scared to admit the truth. He didn’t want to admit that he would never be able to fly with her again or visit Cloudsdale with her after today. As he looked down at the ground he felt Firefly place a hoof on the side of his face and turned it towards hers.

“Just say it Clay. You can tell me.”

Clay felt his confidence return and he began to form the words as he realized there was no going back now. However before he could say another word another voice spoke out.

“Well I’ll be damned. It is old blank flank Clay.”

Clay’s heart froze in his chest as he recognized the voice. It belonged to the one pony he wanted here least of all; Sky Tearer. Clay and Firefly turned their heads to the dark blue Pegasus as he gave a cocky smile at them.

“Where’d you get those fake wings Clay? Your mommy make them for you, so that she can at least pretend you belong to her?” Clay glared at the Pegasus, furious at how he would dare come at a moment like this.

“You shut up! His wings are the most beautiful wings I have ever seen, and don’t you dare insult his mother!” Firefly shouted shaking with anger.

“Stay out of this little filly it’s none of your business.”

“He is my business! I won’t let you insult the colt I love!”

“Oh really? You love this filthy earth pony.”

“What are you stupid? He’s clearly a Pegasus like you and me.” Sky raised an eyebrow and a smirk grew across his face.
“Wait…you didn’t tell her did you.”

“Tell me what?”

“That those wings of his are fake. That he isn’t a Pegasus; he’s really an earth pony.”

“What are you talking about? Clay tell this…loser that he’s crazy.” Clay simply stood there silent as Firefly looked at him, and the longer he remained silent the more confused Firefly looked.

“Clay…it isn’t true…is it?”

Clay still said nothing.

“Clay…tell me that it’s not true.” Clay looked to Firefly sadly and sighed.

“It’s all true.” Firefly looked at Clay in disbelief.

“Your…you’re not a pegasus?”

“No…”

“You…you lied to me?”

“Yes…” Firefly looked to the ground as she tried to understand what was going on.

“I…can’t believe that you…would lie to me.”

“Firefly please I didn’t want you to find out this way.” He started to panic as he saw the beginnings of tears in her eyes.

“I pour my heart out to you about feeling trapped by my father…I tell you about my mother…and…you lie to me about what you are for two days.” Clay fell silent as tears started to fall down her face.

“I…I trusted you.” Clay’s heart felt like it had been stabbed as she saw Firefly continue to cry.

“Firefly…I’m…I’m sorry please let me…” He approached her, but she backed away and glared at him.

“Get away from me! If I ever see you again I’ll…I’ll…” Firefly unfurled her wings and took off to her home. Clay just stood there heart broken and let large tears fall down his face.

“Well that was more fun than I thought it would be.” Sky said smirking. “You should stick to earth pony girls Clay…they’re dumber so they’re easier to fool than our girls…well except her apparently.”

Clay looked to Sky with a look that could have killed if it was possible. Clay turned to Sky and opened his wings slowly before charging at Sky with a pain filled yell.

Back at Ponyville:

Dinky approached the front door of Clays home and knocked three times. Shortly after Rainbow Dash opened the door.

“Hi Dinky, what brings you here?”

“Hi Rainbow Dash. Um…Clay wanted me to tell you that…he wants you to meet him at Canterlot.” Rainbow Dash raised an eyebrow.

“Wait…Clay is at Canterlot right now?” Dinky nodded.

“But…how is that possible he would need wings to get to Canterlot that fast.” Dinky kicked the ground.

“Well…actually he does have wings.” Dash stared blankly and then stuck a hoof in her ear wiggling it around slightly.

“I’m sorry Dinky, but I thought I heard you say that Clay has wings.” Dinky gave a sideways glance at Rainbow Dash.

“How…how did it happen?”

“He found a book that had a spell that would give him wings for three days.” Dash panicked as she realized he must have found the spell Twilight had used years ago on Rarity.

“But how did he get the magic to get the spell to work? Twilight wouldn’t have let him fly without my permission.”

“Actually…I was the one who used the spell on him.” Dinky admitted.

“But…why didn’t he ask me?” Dash began to feel hurt that her son would keep this hidden from her.

“He…he was afraid you would say no.”

“But I wouldn’t have said no. I know he has wanted wings since he was little…why doesn’t he trust me?” Dash lowered her gaze sadly.

“He really wants you to meet him there. He said that he would introduce you to somepony named Firefly.” Dash’s expression turned to surprise and worry.

“Well I must admit I have wanted to meet this filly of his for a while now.” She looked to the young unicorn slightly angry. “But…why did you let him go to Canterlot by himself? Why did you give him magical wings? You could have hurt him!” Dinky looked to Rainbow Dash nervously.

“I tried to tell him, but he wouldn’t listen. He was obsessed when he found that spell. He begged me.” Dash began to wonder why Clay would be so desperate when a thought popped into her head.

“He’s not doing this to impress that Firefly filly is he?” She gasped.

“No, he just wanted to look for her.” Dash rubbed her temples.

“What is that pony thinking flying off without telling me? His own mom!”

“I don’t know. I tried to make him listen, but he wouldn’t take no for an answer.” As Dash stood there confused and worried she heard a colt’s voice.

“Because I’m not like you mommy!” Dash’s face fell.

“Doesn’t he know I love him no matter what kind of pony he is?” She thought sadly. Dinky looked at Dash sheepishly.

“I’m sorry Rainbow Dash.” Dash looked to Dinky.

“I’ll be telling your mother what you’ve done when I get back.” Dinky looked worriedly at Dash.

“Is…is Clay in trouble?”

“Oh, he’s in trouble all right! When I find him being “grounded” will have a whole new meaning!” Dash walked past Dinky and splayed her wings to their fullest extent.

“Tell Twilight and the others that I’m bringing Clay back!” Dinky approached her.

“Please Rainbow bring him back safe. If anything ever happened to him I…I’d never forgive myself.” Dash looked back to Dinky.

“Don’t worry. I’d never let anything happen to Clay.” Dash flapped her wings and flew into the air towards Canterlot.

“I’d never forgive myself.” Dinky whispered as tears slid down her face.



Outside Canterlot:

Clay and Sky hovered over the outskirts of Canterlot trying to hurt each other as much as possible. Clay’s heart was completely broken and he wanted to take all his anger out on Sky.

“YOU HAD NO RIGHT TO TELL HER ANY OF THAT!”

“Oh please, like you really had a chance with her anyway.”

“I WAS GOING TO TELL HER THE TRUTH! BUT YOU HAD TO BARGE IN AND RUIN EVERYTHING!”

“Sounds like I was just speeding up the process.” Clay looked at Sky continuing his death gaze.

“Oh don’t worry I’m sure filly fooler mommy will come and make it all better for her little dirt pony.”

“I’LL KILL YOU! I SWEAR TO CELEASTIA I’LL BUCKING KILL YOU!” Clay shouted his eyes full of anger.

Clay dove straight at Sky ramming him in the gut and they both fell towards the ground below. As they plummeted Clay and Sky dealt each other blows to the head and tried kicking each other to get loose. Before they hit the ground Sky head butted Clay causing him to cringe in pain giving the dark blue Pegasus enough time to fly away. Clay shook his head and flew up after his rival avoiding a powerful kick aimed at his head and then grabbed the leg with his teeth throwing Sky downward.

Sky flew back up at Clay who flew higher trying to put some distance between him and Sky before attacking him again. Sky closed the distance and was mere inches from Clay when he was suddenly bucked right in the face and began to hurdle towards the ground again.

“THAT’S FOR CALLING MY MOTHER A FILLY FOOLER!” Clay shouted.

Sky with his vision blurred shook his head and dashed towards Clay once more. Clay responded by diving towards Sky again readying himself for the impact.