• Published 9th May 2012
  • 11,472 Views, 1,246 Comments

Wings for a Pony - Brawney Hooves



The tale of Rainbow Dash's adopted earth pony son for his quest to obtain wings.

  • ...
20
 1,246
 11,472

Chapter 6

~Years later~


“Clay, wake up. Aunt Applejack needs you at Sweet Apple Acres.”

Dash prodded the pony shaped lump in Clay’s bed, which in turn squirmed and muttered something she didn’t quite catch. She poked it again with a hoof. Again it muttered something but this time she could hear it.

“Five more minutes, Mom.”

Dash shook her head, “What happened to the colt that loved getting up in the morning to help his Aunt Applejack?”

“He learned that he didn’t like to get up at the crack of dawn.”

Clay pulled the sheets closer to his body. Dash was losing her patience grabbed the sheets with her hooves and gave a hard yank revealing an adolescent yellow earth pony, who let out an annoyed groan as the light hit his eyes.

“Come on Clay you know Applejack hates slackers,” Dash said as she gave a disapproving look.

Clay gave another sigh and started getting up, rubbing the sleep from his eyes while his mother left the room.

“Since when is getting up at the break of dawn considered slacking?” Clay said aloud.

He picked up the Stetson hat that Apple Jack had given him and placed it on his head. As Clay walked down the stairs, still feeling tired he saw his mother making her breakfast. Clay didn’t bother seeing if there was any for him, for Applejack usually served breakfast for him when he went there for work. As he headed for the door, Dash walked up to him and kissed him on the cheek.

“Have a good day Clay,” She said happily.

“I will mom thanks.” He kissed her goodbye and left to head for Sweet Apple Acres. Clay was still tired, making the walk there feel even longer.

“If only I could fly like Mom,” Clay thought to himself as he continued on his way. Soon Sweet Apple Acres came into view as he started climbing uphill. Applejack and Big Mac were already up bucking the apple trees and collecting the apples that fell, when Applejack noticed Clay.

“Well look who decided to join us Big Mac!” Big Mac glanced over but didn’t say anything as Clay approached.

“Morning *Yawn* Aunt Applejack,” Clay said as walked up to a tree. He kicked it as hard as he could with his back legs, causing all the apples to fall and land in the buckets.

“Shoot Clay, that hat makes you look like one handsome stallion when yeh work!” Applejack said smiling at her nephew

“I sure hope so Aunt Applejack, you did give it to me.”

Apple Jack smiled, “Why ah remember when tha hat was too big fer your head and now look; fits like ah saddle.”


Clay continued to buck the next tree until the buckets were full. Then he would carry them down to the apple cellar. This continued for the next few hours until every tree in that acre was empty of apples.

Soon the bell was rung and Apple Bloom could be heard from the house.

“Soups on, everypony!”
Clay began walking to the farm. The aroma of pancakes and apple slices made Clay realize just how hungry he was. He sat at the table with Big Mac, Applejack, Apple Bloom, and Granny Smith. Clay had some apple juice and pancakes, while thinking about what he would do with the rest of his day.

‘Visit Dinky…No, she was on vacation with her mom. Help one of my Aunts? I’ve done that today already. Spend time with mom? No, she’s got to train the rookies today.’ Clay gave a slight groan as he cut into his pancakes.


After he finished, he left the house and still feeling tired, he spied a tree that looked rather inviting.

‘They probably won’t mind if I take a quick snooze,’ Clay thought to himself as he propped his back against the tree and tilted his hat at an angle so the light didn’t get in his eyes.

But just as he started to drift off to sleep, a loud whistle startled him.

“What the hay was that?” Clay murmured, confused.

He looked around and saw nothing. He had almost fallen back asleep when he heard the sound again. He shook his head as he searched his surroundings then he saw it, a blurred streak zipped past the sky so fast he didn’t even get a chance to tell what it was. Then he saw it again.

“Mom?” Clay said, knowing only his mother to go that fast. But as he caught another glimpse, he saw that the streak wasn’t his Mother’s rainbow color; but instead a solid pink one.

“What in Equestria is that?” Clay said, getting up to investigate.

The pink streak kept coming back and forth faster and faster, until Clay thought his eyes were going to fall out of his head just from following it. Then the pink streak lost control and crashed not far from where he was. Clay galloped to the sight of the crash, which was behind a pair of bushes that he pushed his way through.

“Ow, that smarts! Damn it; I almost had it that time!” The filly Pegasus shouted.

Realizing that she could be hurt, Clay pushed his way through the bushes. But when he reached the other side he stopped dead in his tracks.

The light pink pegasus filly no older than him, with a blue mane and tail stood in the center of a small crater; which Clay assumed was where she crashed. Her eyes were a dark purple, and as he looked at her flank; he saw that she had a Cutie Mark with two blue bolts. The filly hadn’t noticed him. As she dusted herself off and gave a frustrated sigh. She had a look on her face that seemed oddly familiar to Clay, and even the way her mane was done had Clay feel like he had seen it before it was…long and unkempt much like his Mother’s mane. In fact that same smug look on the fillies’ face was the same his mother got when she was about to fly some crazy daredevil maneuver; which meant that this Pegasus whoever she was loved going fast.

Clay couldn’t take his eyes off of the filly, even though he knew it was impolite. As he watched his heart began to race like he had ran a race with Applejack, and he found that he was beginning to sweat. He wanted to meet this filly but as he took a step, he snapped a twig. He then proceeded to hide in the bush as the filly turned around.

“Who’s there?! Show yourself before I buck you into last week!” The pegasus shouted, her eyes darting back and forth. Clay kept himself hidden, afraid to be seen by her.

“If you’re planning on getting the drop on me, forget it! I know your there!” The filly shouted at the bush’s. When she didn’t get a response, she nervously shrugged and took off into the air. She gave a quick look at the ground, and when she saw nopony there she flew off into the distance. Clay slowly poked his head out of the bushes and sighed.

‘Who was that?’ He thought as he emerged from the bush.

As Clay thought about the Pegasus he had just seen. Applejack began calling him and he ran in her direction.

“There yeh are Clay! I thought you done left to be with yer mom or somthin.”

Clay said nothing as Apple Jack continued.

“Anyway, we’re almost done. We just need ta take a quick inventory and then yer free to go!”

As Apple Jack walked down to the apple cellar, Clay stood where he was and looked at the sky thinking about the filly again. About how she made his heart race, and how nervous he got when he saw her. And that’s when it hit him, for the first time in his life he…was in love.