• Published 9th May 2012
  • 11,469 Views, 1,246 Comments

Wings for a Pony - Brawney Hooves



The tale of Rainbow Dash's adopted earth pony son for his quest to obtain wings.

  • ...
20
 1,246
 11,469

Chapter 11

Day 1: The search

Clay smiled as he felt the wind rush through his mane, something he hadn’t felt since he was a young colt only this time it was real. Clay spotted a nearby cloud and a thought popped in his head, he flew down to it and slowly placed his hooves on the cloud and soon began to sink into the white vapor. He quickly rose out again covered win water.

“Guess I’m not a real pegasus after all.” Clay thought sadly as he took off again into the sky. Clay shook his head clearing his thoughts. Now was not the time to be sad and think about what he wasn’t. He had a mission and he only had three days.

“I can’t waste time!” Clay said as he picked up the pace a little “Where would I find a filly like Firefly? Cloudsdale? No her father was an Earth pony they couldn’t live there.” Clay thought back to the day he saw her at the Gala, her father looked rather posh and regal like a pony you would find in… “CANTERLOT!” Clay shouted as he flew to the city as fast as he could, after what normally would take hours Clay reached Canterlot within minutes and made his way into town.

Clay had never been to Canterlot before except for the doughnut shop after the Gala, and now that it was daylight and everypony was out doing their daily routine Clay had to use all his will power not to get caught up in the sights. He asked around the city if anyone knew Firefly and just like in Ponyville he was getting either a lot of head shakes or was just outright ignored, hours passed and he had made no progress, but then he remembered that they probably knew her by her real name; Clay asked the closest pony he could find using the name Philomena and was relieved when the pony nodded and pointed him in the right direction.

Apparently Firefly’s father, Jasper gold hoof, was well known and very important in Canterlot, which wasn’t surprising since he had attended the Gala. Clay flew his way to Firefly’s address and was immediately stunned by the manor he stood in front of.

“Wow this makes my home look like a cardboard box.” Clay said as he approached still marveling at the size of the building.

Clay took a deep breath and knocked on the door three times and waited for a response, within seconds an Earth pony in a black suit opened the door.

“May I help you young sir.” The butler pony asked.

“Um, yes does a Mister Jasper Gold hoof live here?”

“Indeed young sir.”

“I was wondering if I could talk to him.”

“He is away on business I’m afraid.”

“Oh, well I heard he also has a daughter named Philomena, is she home by any chance?” The butler pony gave him a suspicious look.

“And why would you wish to speak with Miss Philomena?”

“Um because I…I…heard that she liked the Wonderbolts and…” The butler pony cut him off.

“Ah a recruiter, well I am sorry, but Mister Goldhoof does not favor the Wonderbolts and would be most displeased if he found out you were recruiting his daughter.” Clay started to panic.

“Um I wouldn’t dream of recruiting someponys daughters withought their consent of course.”

“Hmm, I think it would be best if you left sir, good day.” The butler pony huffed. Before Clay could defend himself a feminine voice spoke up behind the butler.

“Who’s at the door Germane?”

“A Wonderbolt recruiter Madame I was just about to send him away.”

“Germane, you don’t have to be so formal call me Firefly and I would love to talk to…” Firefly stopped as she saw the pony outside the door. “It’s you!” She said surprised.

“You know this pony, Philomena?”

“Know him he saved my life!”

“Good heavens! Your life was in danger!”

“Yep I crashed into a tree and fell in a lake and he jumped in and saved me.” Germane turned to Clay.

“Well in that case perhaps I should allow such a brave stallion to speak. A thousand pardons sir I didn’t realize that…” Clay held up a hoof.

“It was no trouble at all really I just happened to be around at the time.”

“Brave and modest I like that. Firefly said eyeing him up "Would you like to come in?”

“Uh…I would be happy to Miss Philomena.” Clay said blushing slightly.

“Please call me Firefly.”

“Okay…Firefly.”

Clay entered the manor following Firefly as she gave a tour of her home; as Clay followed he realized just how small his home really was inside and out. Finally Firefly brought Clay up to her room which unlike the rest of the house which looked fancy and expensive, her room was slightly messy and was littered with Wonderbolt propaganda and souvenirs. Upon seeing it Clay was reminded of his own room.

“Sorry my rooms a bit messy I don’t usually get visitors so I don’t try to tidy up.”

“Oh I don’t mind it kind of gives the room character.” Firefly smiled as she sat on her bed and patted the spot next to her. Clay sat down and looked to Firefly and his heart began to race again.

“You know that was pretty brave thing you did saving me.” Firefly said shyly.

“I took off so fast I’m surprised you even knew it was me.” Clay replied.

“Why did you run away?” Clay gulped as he tried to find the right words.

“I…I was nervous.”

“Why would you be nervous around me?” Firefly asked puzzled.

“Well because…” This was it the moment he had thought about for a month and it was now or never “Because I…like you.” Firefly was quiet as she looked to Clay.

“You…you like me?” Clay nodded, as Firefly was again quiet. Clay was afraid that he had scared her off and his heart began to break, until Firefly’s face lit up “That’s awesome because I…like you too.” Clay was taken aback.

“You like me like, like like?” Firefly nodded.

“Yes I like like you uh…” Firefly facehoofed “Oh, for pony sake I forgot to ask you your name I’m sorry.”

“It’s Clay.”

“That’s an odd name for a Pegasus.” Firefly chuckled.

Clays eyes widened as he had completely forgot about his wings.

“What will she think of me when they disappear?” Clay though as Firefly stared at him.

“Uh, are you okay?” Clay shook his head as he snapped back to reality.

“Yeah I’m fine I just uh was thinking about a Wonderbolt stunt I saw once.”

“Oh really, which one?”

“The filly flash.” Firefly's eyes widened.

“Oh I love that one, that Rainbow Dash is one heck of a dare devil.”

“Yeah she sure is.” Clay chuckled thinking of his mother for a split second.

“She’s my role model; she’s so brave and agile. And the way she cuts through the air with those tricks…” Firefly eyes glazed over as she envisioned Rainbow Dash performing in the sky “Someday I’m going to join the Wonderbolts and fly right beside her and be just as famous.” Firefly said dreamily.

“Wow she really likes my mom I wonder how she’ll react when she finds out that I’m her son?” Clay thought as he looked to Firefly “You really seem to like her.” Clay said breaking the silence.

“That’s putting it mildly. It must be so awesome to work with her.” Firefly said dreamily.

“You could say that.” Clay said rubbing his head, he then looked out the window and saw how late it was “Uh, sorry Firefly, but I’ve got to head back home and it’s getting late.” Firefly looked slightly disappointed.

“Oh, okay I understand and thanks again for the rescue.”

“No problem.” Clay got up and started walking when Firefly spoke up.

“Um, listen I was wondering if maybe you wanted to grab some lunch tomorrow.” Clay looked back at her.

“You mean like a date?”

“Yeah like a date.” Firefly replied.

“Um, sure I’ll be over tomorrow at your place.”

“Sounds good I’ll be waiting Clay.” Clay smiled and left the room while Firefly fell back on her bed and smiled as well.

Clay flew as fast as he could to beat his mom home all the while trying to figure out how he was going hide his wings from her. He would have congratulated how fast he was flying if he wasn’t so worried about getting caught, but soon he saw his house and dove for the door and shut it with a slam. Clay looked around to see if his mom was home and then went to the bathroom to brush his teeth and brush his now windswept mane, he was just about to go to his bedroom to avoid his mother when he heard the front door open.

“Clay I’m home!” Dash called out.

Clay raced to his room as fast as he could to his room and dove right into his bed making sure that his wings were concealed just as his mother entered the room.

“Clay what are you doing in bed?” She noticed the beads of sweat on his forehead. “Clay are you sick?” Dash asked worried.

“Uh, yeah I don’t feel well mom I think I caught something.” Dash approached Clay and placed a hoof on his head.

“You are sweating a lot and you do feel warm. Still you should have waited for me to pick you up.”

“Sorry mom I didn’t want Aunt Twilight getting sick, so I thought it would be better if I went home and stayed in bed.” Dash gave Clay a suspicious look but soon smiled.

“Well let me know how you feel tomorrow okay. I’ll check on you first thing in the morning.” Dash kissed him on the forehead and told him goodnight before closing the door.

Clay sighed and looked out his window at the night sky “I’ll see you tomorrow Firefly.” Clay said as he closed his eyes and soon fell asleep dreaming of his date with Firefly.