• Published 9th May 2012
  • 11,451 Views, 1,246 Comments

Wings for a Pony - Brawney Hooves



The tale of Rainbow Dash's adopted earth pony son for his quest to obtain wings.

  • ...
20
 1,246
 11,451

Chapter 20

Clay sat on his bed looking out the window occasionally spotting a bird or pegasus pony fly by. He sighed and was about lay his head on his pillow; when suddenly he heard a knock at his bedroom door.

“Clay! I’m going over to Twilights and I’ll be back in an hour okay?”

“Okay mom.” He said unenthusiastically. Clay rested his head on his pillow and fell asleep.

“Clay. sweetie. Can you come out? I want to show you something.” Clay recognized the voice as his mothers and he awoke startled.

“What is it mom?” He asked.

“I’ve got a surprise for you.”

“I don’t feel like coming out right now mom.” Clay answered.

“Clay, please come out. I really need to show you this.” Dash pleaded.

“I don’t want to mom.” Clay retorted.

“I think it will cheer you up.”

“What did you get me mechanical wings? I’m not interested.” Clay scoffed.

“Nope. Even better.” Clay lifted his head and looked to the door.

“Like what?”

“Come downstairs and find out.” Clay sighed and walked to the door.

Clay slowly made his way down the hall and down the stairs to see his mother with a grin on her face.

“Okay what did you want to show me?” Clay groaned.

“You’re looking at it.” Dash replied. Clay looked around.

“I don’t see anything.” Dash smiled wider.

“Notice anything different about your old mom?” Clay looked her up and down.

“You…did something with your mane?”

“Nope.” Clay furrowed his brow.

“Contacts?”

“No.”

“Hooficure?”

“Guess again.” Clay rubbed his head in annoyance.

“Mom I’m really not in the mood for this just tell me.” Dash smiled.

“Look harder.” Clay scanned her carefully, but saw nothing new. Same blue coat, same rainbow mane and tail, same rosy eyes, same cutie mark. She was the same from her hooves to her back to her…
Clay brought his eyes to her back again to make sure he wasn’t hallucinating. But when he did he saw the same thing; her back was vacant of her cyan blue wings.

“Mom! What happened to your wings?!”

“I uh…got rid of them for a while.” Clay blinked.

“You got rid of…how…why?”

“Well I went to Twilight earlier and we found a spell that could make a unicorn or pegasus an earth pony for a few hours.” Dash smiled at the baffled colt. “I couldn’t make you like me…so I became like you instead.” Clay shook his head in disbelief. Flying was everything to his mother. He probably knew that better than anyone. The fact that she would willingly get rid of her wings was an impossible thought for Clay to understand. Finally he got his thoughts straight and found his voice again.

“Why…why would you do that?” Dash approached Clay and sat down placing her hooves on his shoulders and looked him in the eye.

“Because I love you Clay. I couldn’t stand to see you so upset. This was the only thing I could think of that would make you happy.”

“How does you losing your wings make me happy?” Clay asked.

“I didn’t lose my wings. I’m an earth pony like you. They’ll grow back in a few hours, but until then there is no Rainbow Dash the Wonderbolt, or the fastest flyer in Equestria, or even the hero of Equestria. Just Rainbow Dash the earth pony…and her son Clay.” Clay looked at her absolutely stunned.

“You…you gave up your wings…just for me?” Dash nodded smiling warmly. Clay’s eyes moistened and he flung himself at her hugging her tightly. Dash returned the embrace feeling relived that Clay was finally smiling.

“You didn’t have to do this mom.” Clay said burying his head in her neck.

“I know…but I wanted to. You’re my whole world Clay.” She lifted up his head and looked into his eyes. “I would give it all up the fame, the Wonderbolts, even flying for the rest of my life…if it meant seeing you smile again, and to let you know how much I love you." Large tears flowed from Clays eyes as he smiled.

“You don’t have to…I think I finally understand…thank you mom.” Clay and Dash hugged again letting the warmth wash over them.

“Good because giving up flying would have been reeeaaally difficult.” Clay chuckled as he let go. “I’d still do it though…for you.”

“I know mom…thanks.” Dash kissed his head as they stood back up.

“Sooo. What do you want to do first with your new earth pony mom?” Clay tapped his chin as he thought.

“I think I know just the thing.” Clay walked past her and out the door.

“What?” Dash asked as she followed.

“Just follow me!” Clay walked on with Dash in tow until they reached a flat field.

“So what are you planning?” Dash asked as Clay looked over the horizon.

“A race.” Clay replied.

“A race, really?” Clay nodded “Wouldn’t you rather do some apple bucking or something at Aunt AJ’s?” Clay smirked.

“Why? Afraid you’ve gotten slower in your old age.”

“Watch it Clay. I may not have my wings but I can still beat you in any race.”

“You sure about that? I mean I can understand if you’re scared of losing to your kid.” Clay cocked an eyebrow “I want to race you for real this time not like when I was a kid.” Dash looked at Clay uncertainly.

“Are you sure? You know who you’re talking to right?” Clay smirked.

“You wanted to be an earth pony, so that’s what we’re doing. Since we can’t race by flying we’ll just have to do it the old fashion way. And I want you to give me your best mom one hundred percent!” Dash gave a cocky grin.

“I’ll give better than that! I’ll give one hundred and ten percent!” Clay looked back over the field and pointed.

“First one to the big tree and back wins!”

“Which will be me naturally!” Dash smirked.

Clay and Dash took their positions and prepared for the run.

“Ready?” Clay asked.

“Ready!” Dash replied as she licked her lips.

“On the count of three.” Clay took his position as he began counting down. “One…two…three!” In the blink of an eye Dash had taken a huge lead and was smirking as she was already halfway to the tree.

“Sorry Clay, but you can’t outrun Rainbow…” She was cut off as a yellow blur sped past her and her mouth hung open in shock before she grinned and picked up the pace. Rainbow Dash rounded the tree and soon was caught up with Clay as they raced towards the makeshift finish line. They both ran as fast as they could. Making their muscles ache until finally they crossed the dirt line and collapsed on the ground panting and sweating heavily.

“I *gasp* didn’t know *gasp* you could run so fast *gasp *Clay.” Dash said gasping for air. Clay simply smiled as he too panted “I guess *gasp* I’m a little *gasp* out of practice.” She continued.

“That was *gasp* a good race *gasp* mom.” Clay replied.

“You said *gasp* give you one hundred and *gasp* ten percent Clay.”

They both stopped talking and waited to catch their breath. Finally they stood up again and smiled.

“So who do you think won?” Clay asked.

“It doesn’t matter.” Dash said putting her head against Clay’s “We both won.” Clay smiled.

“Hey…don’t you have to work with the Wonderbolts this week?”

“I asked for some time off.” Clay raised an eyebrow.

“How did you do that?” Dash smiled.

“I told them I was grounded.” There was a pause. Then Clay and Dash both busted out laughing and fell on their backs with tears running down their faces.

The race finished Clay and Rainbow went through the rest of Ponyville talking with friends and just enjoying the day together. Clay hated to admit it, but his mother being an earth pony did feel right. He didn’t feel like he was living in her shadow at all. In fact he actually felt like he belonged with her for the first time in his life. Eventually they made their way to the local park and met the others. Fluttershy, Rarity, Pinkie Pie, and Applejack were stunned to see Rainbow Dash wingless, but the shock wore off and things presumed normally. Clay and Dash sat and talked with the others just enjoying the day out.

Clay spotted Spike and a thought popped into his head. He walked up to Spike who was talking to Twilight.

“Hey spike. Can I talk to you?”

“Sure Clay. What about?” Clay looked to Twilight and she walked away to talk to Applejack taking the hint.

“Spike…You’ve been with Twilight for years and she hatched you. Do…do you see her as your mom?” Spike shrugged.

“Uh, I guess she kind of is my mom. Why do you ask?”

“Well…you don’t seem bothered by it.”

“Why would it bother me?” Spike asked.

“Because she’s an element of harmony and saved Equestria. Because she isn’t…you know…your real mom.”

“Well she may not be my real mom, but she is my mom so it doesn’t bother me.”

“But why?” Clay asked his cousin.

“Because she loves me, and I love her and that’s all I need to feel like I belong with her.” Clay looked to the side and thought about what he had been told. Then a smile formed on his face and he looked to Spike.

“Thanks Spike. I think you made me finally understand something.”

“Anytime Clay, but uh what brought the question on?” Clay shrugged.

“Just curious.” Clay left to talk Pinkie Pie and Applejack smiling. He now knew who he was.

Twilight pulled Dash to the side while Clay talked with Pinkie Pie and Applejack.

“So, how are things going between you and Clay?” She asked curiously.

“Better than I hoped. He’s so happy Twilight. I can’t thank you enough for finding that spell.” Twilight smiled “So…is it ready yet?” Dash whispered.

“Yes, I have it right here, but Rainbow…are you sure you want to go through with this?”

“Yeah of course I’m sure. Why wouldn’t I be sure?”

“You know what this will mean…it will change everything.” Dash looked to Clay laughing over Pinkie’s shenanigans and a smile crept on her face.

“For Clay I would do anything Twilight…anything.” Twilight gave an uncertain look, but complied and handed Dash her saddle bag.

“Hey what are you two doing?” Clay asked trotting over.

“Uh, nothing Clay! We were just talking is all.” Clay looked at her suspiciously “Hey Clay…can I talk to you privately?”

“Sure uh, we can talk.” Dash lead Clay up a small hill and they both sat down looking at the sunset “So how was today? Was it…fun?” Clay looked to her and smiled.

“It’s been one of the best days ever mom. Thank you so much.” Dash smiled.

“I’m glad. Now what if I told you it didn’t have to end?” Clay cocked his head.

“Mom…it can’t last forever. You said the spell would only last for a few hours.”

“Yeah I did…but me and Twilight found…something else.” She reached into Twilights saddle bag and pulled out a bottle filled with blue liquid.

“What is that stuff?” Clay asked looking at the bottle.

“This is a potion that makes a spell cast on a pony permanent. If you had drank this when you had your wings they would have been real.” Clay lowered his head.

“It’s s a bit late for that mom.” He said glumly.

“It’s not for you Clay…it’s for me.” Clay looked at Dash slightly confused “If I take this potion before the spell wears off…I’ll be an earth pony forever.” Clay looked at her dumbfounded.

“Mom you…you aren’t really going to do that are you?” Dash shook her head.

“I’m not going to decide…you are.” Clay’s jaw dropped.

“You’re letting me decide!” Dash nodded “But…but why?”

“Because I saw how happy you were that I was like you. And…I love you Clay. I want you to be happy no matter what it takes. And if that means never flying again…so be it.”

“But what about your job?! What about the Wonderbolts?! What if Equestria needs you again?”

“I can get a new job, maybe work on the farm with you and AJ. And Soarin is next for Captain so he would take over. And I don’t need wings to be a hero. So the only thing that’s keeping me from becoming a real earth pony is your decision.” She handed the bottle to Clay “My future is in your hooves Clay…And whatever you decide I’ll live with it.” Clay looked at the bottle as his heart began to race. He knew that this would change everything about their lives…was he really willing to take away what made her Rainbow Dash?

Clay looked at his mother and saw the tension in her eyes. She was scared but she would go through with it. Clay brought the bottle to his mouth and popped the cork spiting it onto the ground. He then took another look at the bottle before slowly handing it to Dash who started reaching for it. Dash was inches away from taking the bottle when Clay stopped. Dash looked at him curiously when suddenly he turned the bottle and poured the liquid on the ground. Dash looked at him confused as he set the bottle on the ground and looked to her and then pulled her into a tight hug.

“Don’t ever change mom, not even for me.” Dash hugged Clay back and nuzzled his face.

“I really thought you were going to let me do it.” Dash said sounding relieved.

“I thought about it…but you don’t need to be an earth pony for me to belong with you. You love me and I love you…that’s all that matters.” Clay and Dash released each other and stood up.

“You really are the best son ever.” Dash said happily.

“Tell me something I don’t already know.” Clay replied.


As the sun began to disappear Rainbow Dash began to glow illuminated in the dark. Then in an instant her wings erupted from her back and then rested on her sides.

“You look better with wings anyway.” Clay said grinning. Dash walked off and was about to fly once more as the sky called her when she turned and looked at Clay who simply watched her.

“You know…I can fly later. How about I walk you home?” Clay smiled and walked to her side and they began the walk home.

“I love you mom. Just the way you are.” Clay whispered as Dash smiled.

“Same here Clay.” She replied nuzzling his face.

For the first time in Clay’s life. He felt acceptance in his heart.