• Published 2nd May 2012
  • 5,814 Views, 108 Comments

Trading Places - ty500600



Twilight makes the funny happen with Rarity and Applejack.

  • ...
6
 108
 5,814

Day 1 - 12:15 PM

Day 1 - 12:15 PM

Applejack stood in the center of Rarity’s inspiration room, trying to draw the magical “inspiration,” as Rarity had called it, from every corner of the room. Her eyes were pressed shut and her eyebrows clenched together in concentration. A small squiggle formed on the corner of her mouth as she pursed her lips together. Beads of sweat began to form on her head as she strained to prove that she could best her opponent.

However, after a long while of struggling, she realized that her opponent in this battle was not Rarity, but the room and the imagery required to start making dresses. As the struggle continued, audible grunts and moans could be heard from the concentrating pony.

A smug grin creeped across Rarity’s face. “Well, Applejack? Have you thought of anything yet?”

A moment of silence passed before Applejack replied. “Sure did. I already had ideas in my mind before I entered your messy room. I’ve been trying to decide what I want to actually make from those ideas.”

Rarity stared for a moment. “Humph. Well, if its that easy for you, this should be a breeze shouldn’t it. I think I’ll just step outside and go for a walk.” Rarity turned her back to Applejack. She began to walk away.

“Stop! I’m going to need your help making the darned things. I can sew sorta’, but I can’t do all of those things you do, especially with magic.” Applejack pleaded.

A satisfied grin settled on Rarity’s mouth. “But of course you can’t. Nopony has ever taught you how to do any of it. So I expect you to respect my expertise, if you don’t mind.” She flicked her head away from Applejack snobbishly.

When she returned her gaze to Applejack, she was not gifted with the humble stare she was expecting, but instead was met with annoyance and irritation.

“Uh huh...” Applejack grunted.

Rarity glared at her for a moment before sticking her snout back into the air. “Hmph!”

Applejack stared at her friend for a moment longer before letting out a sigh of surrender. “Fine... you’re right. I need somepony to show me how to get this done, and I suppose it ought to be you, since you’re the only pony with both the patience and crazies to do this in this town.” She may have been down, but she sure wasn’t out.

Rarity turned her sharp eyes back on Applejack. “You just...couldn’t...resist… could you.”

“Nnnope!” She replied, trying imitate her older brother. At the sound of it though, Twilight let out a small giggle. “Twi, what are you laughing at…”

Twilight snorted before she replied. “You sound like Big Mac’ if he got kicked in the… well… you know where.

Applejack let a chuckle. “Heh… I reckon so. Still not used to having Rarity’s voice, that alone is going to be hard to master; nevermind this stuff.” She cast a hoof across the messy room.

Rarity let out a sigh. “I agree with you Applejack. Remembering that I have to talk in this southern drawl combined with the mastering of your strong body… this will be quite the challenge.”

“But you two will do the challenge right?! I mean, we have come so far already…” Twilight whined.

Applejack shoved a hoof into Twilight’s mouth. “Before you start yer’ bellyaching, yes. We will do this. I mean, we have already switched bodies, what else could make this any more difficult?”

Twilight's eyes lit up. “Pitoee!” She spat out Applejack’s hoof. “Well lets think… There is always the factors of family, I’m sure they might notice the change, not to mention our friends. Don’t even get me started on our friends. I almost guarantee they will pick up on the differences! And… and…hmph!” The hoof found its home again, stopping the torrent of thoughts trying to escape the floodgates of Twilight’s brain.

“Twi? That was rhetorical. This is going to be impossible. I don’t think piling on the pressure is going to help Rarity and I with the situation. Understand? Twilight nodded. “Good.” The moment the hoof left Twilight’s mouth, she started again.

“But I was just saying that mmph…” A white blockage seemed to be lodged in her mouth once again.

“Twilight, what in the world did I just say?” Applejack berated.

“Grrrmphhh…” Twilight rolled her eyes and batted the hoof away. “Fine. But I was just—”

“Twilight!” Applejack and Rarity yelled in unison, forcing her ears down.

“Fine! Lets just get to work!” Twilight screamed, clearly frustrated. She stepped into the corner of the room. “Applejack! Make a dress!”

Applejack leaned over to Rarity. “I think we made her—”

“Now!”

“Erm, yes ma’am!” Applejack jolted forward.

“Rarity!” Twilight shrieked.

The sound jerked her forward. “Um, yes, darling, what is it?”

“You are Applejack, talk like her. Speaking of Applejack, teach her how to do things with thread and needle! Cause I sure won't!” Twilight was clearly unhappy.

“Twilight, I don’t think the yelling will—”

“Now!”

Rarity scuttled forward. “Erm, yes’m!” Her practiced accent revealed itself again. “Now. Applejack—”

“Ahem!” Twilight grunted.

Rarity glanced over at Twilight. “Twilight do we really have to?” Twilight’s piercing glare was the only answer she needed. “Right, now Rarity, ya’ need to focus more’n the image of what yer’ tryin’ to make and less’n the things ya’ use to make, ya’ get what I’m sayin’ sugarcube?”

Applejack, who was doing her best to try and stay as far away from Twilight as possible, had only heard a portion of what Rarity said. “Um...quite. I shall see what I can do.” She closed her eyes and thought about something easy to make. Like a… curtain! She snapped her eyes open and began to wander around the room, taking note of the of locations of the fabrics, needles, dyes, laces, threads, and anything else she might need.

Once she had all of these items documented in her head, she pursed her eyes shut again and reimagined the curtain. She thought of how the color should be darker so that when the sun would hit it, it keep a majority of the sun out, but at the same time light it up in a way that would not be an eye soar. She thought of how it would look hanging down to the ground, but decided that it would look better hanging just beneath the window sill. Since she had a taste for the simpler things in life, she initially had planned to leave the bottoms unhemmed and hanging freely. However, she was Rarity now and reimagined them to look more professional and chic.

Twilight and Rarity watched in awe as the white horn began to emanate an aura, although slightly different to Rarity's. Right where the horn met open air, the color was orange, but as it faded out, the color changed to a brilliant hue of red. Soon, a long dark red piece of cloth began to unwind from the many racks in the room. It was snipped from the large roll by a pair of sheers, and soon was hovering in front of Applejack. Soon the shears set to work again, shortening the cloth. Then a drawer began to shake and rattle, then slid open. A needle and red thread shot out towards the cloth and began to weave themselves through the bottom. While this was happening, a hole puncher began to do its job, allowing room for the metal rings to be fitted to the curtain. As a final touch, the smaller piece that was sheared off the bottom made its way to the top, now being used as a decorative frill on the top to hide the brass rings.

Once Applejack was satisfied with the image in her mind, she open her eyes again. “Alright, I think I got… Whoa!” She stumbled back from the curtain hovering in front of her. “Where in tarnation… er, where did that come from?!”

Twilight and Rarity clapped their hooves together in unison.

Author's Note:

Guess who got a new computer... =D Also, sorry about the shortness. I found this sitting in my Gdocs folder ready to go! So as a returning gift, here you are!

Comments ( 20 )

And guess who took nine months to update?

3226658 To be fair, my old computer got killed by water. Thats why I took so long :fluttercry:

3226668
Yeesh. That can't have been fun.
But I'm curious about why you didn't find another way to update your story.

3226689 Well, being that I am trying to put myself through school, finances have been a little tight, as it were. I could have used my phone I suppose, but trying to type a story on that is like playing darts with boulders. Doesnt work too well

3226721
But if you're going to school, couldn't you use those computers there?

3226754 Fair enough, just never thought about it I suppose

3226770 Only teens ever seem to think of using the school computers for everything but school...

Heh, nice work on Applejack's part.

~Skeeter The Lurker

Hmm, AJ seemed to have an easy time with that curtain.
Horn magic muscle memory?:duck:

3226811 I know right? Whenever im in the library its not for leisure time i tell you that. I usually get my stuff done then gtfo

:ajbemused:Still liking Twilight less and less. :applejackunsure:Oh well, still a good story, can't wait to see how the sister swap will work out.

I'd all but forgotten about this. Good to see an update. :eeyup:

And of course Twilight is just being more and more of a jerk. :ajbemused:

Freaky Friday mixup at the botique, yay! Next, I'm looking forward to Rarity's adventures in applebucking.

Of course, what I'm most looking forward to is Twilight's comeuppance. She's really being a jerk here, yelling and complaining even though she's the only unaffected party and she's the one responsible. Hmm, maybe once the shenanigans are over, she'll get a taste of her own medicine? Maybe a month swapping with Winona or Moothilda would improve her attitude. :raritywink: :twilightoops: :ajsmug:

XX amount of months later and I am stil as interested as ever to see how this turns out. :raritystarry:
Keep up the great work, mate, and congrats on the new computer! :twilightsmile:

3228560 Hello mate, hows it going?

so tell me, a few things seem fishy.

Twilight is acting wierd, not twilight weird but pinkie weird.
Now that rarity and applejack are switched i'm guessing their elements no longer work
This contest isn't going to last very long

"Purple magic aura?" I would expect it to be either apple-red or the same color that Rarity's normally is (light blue).

And I keep waiting for the reveal of who or what has replaced Twilight.

I must say that I really hate Twilight in this fic. She is downright horrible.

The plot is good, but Twi's characterization really annoys me to no end. Thumbs up, but I don't think I'll be reading this.

Well good job, AJ, that wasn't so hard, now was it? Sounds like she's got this one in the bag!

Welcome back!

Did you put a subplot. Before Rarity and AJ switch Twilight and Pinkie Pie switch. I think that because Twilight is acting Pinkie weird.

Login or register to comment