• Published 14th Oct 2014
  • 652 Views, 6 Comments

Shadow Celebration - Kipakuta



Princess Luna is hosting a Masquerade Ball at her Capital

  • ...
 6
 652

Shining Stars

Chrysalis awoke to the sound of somepony walking along the stone floor. The steps stopped in front of the cell before hers, and she heard Lamella hiss.

"Spare me the theatrics." Cadance said before lighting her horn. A blue aura surrounded the changeling, pink sparkles flashing as the magic flowed into Lamella. The aura ended after several seconds, leaving the changeling fed, but not satisfied.

"I thought a princess was supposed to appreciated the performing arts." Chrysalis replied as Cadance moved over to her cell. "Or do you prefer brightly-colored animation devoid of conflict and other serious themes?"

"I have no problem with seriousness in moderation." Cadance replied as she surrounded Chrysalis with an aura. "But overreacting to every little thing, like the fate of the world is on the line, grates on the nerves."

"I thought you ponies would be used to world-threatening situations by now."

Cadance snorted and ended the spell. "Doesn't mean that we should have to put up with them."

"And I shouldn't have to put up with such a pittance of a meal," Chrysalis got up from her cot. "This treatment is positively inequine."

"This may not be a luxury hotel, but I can still provide a bit of complimentary service." Cadance said, giving Chrysalis a lopsided grin. "You look great for your age." She turned and left. Lamella tried to restrain a smirk.

"SHUT UP!" Chrysalis slapped the wall between their cells.

- - -

Bad Apple gazed out of the window set in the back wall of the alcove. Next to him, Luna indicated a small farm near the base of the mesa. "Through the use of covert channels, I have acquired seed stock from Sweet Apple Acres, and had them planted. And the orchard placed into a Trust under one of your aliases."

"So you managed to get me my own orchard," Bad Apple snickered. "Mother would have a cow if she knew."

"I should very much like to see that, given her attitude towards non-ponies." Luna said. She leaned down to nuzzle him. "Would that I could keep you here, but your friends might get suspicious if you are not returned to them soon."

Bad Apple returned the nuzzle. "If I'm going to be a proper prince someday, I shouldn't ignore those who choose to follow me."

"And after all the pageantry, the spectacle, the revelations and rendezvous. You finally have a new goal." Luna smiled.

"Yes, it's a bit of a long shot, but it's doable." Bad Apple moved away from the window and took his saddlebags. "But long shots are the best shots."

Luna laughed. "Indeed. I shall have to remember that," She approached. "Since you are still confined to the castle, shall I send a servant about the city to gather up anything you might need."

Bad Apple thought for a moment. "Actually, yes," He turned to Luna. "My special talent has remained rather static until I joined the Cabaret. So I need to work on it, and I think I know the best way to do that."

"Is one deck of cards not enough for you?" Luna teased.

Bad removed the well-worn deck of playing cards from his bag. "Not these kind," He replied. "Even in Bacharrat, with six or more decks, I never felt much of a change. No, It's the Tarot that I need to work with."

"There are many decks available, keyed to different themes," Luna mused. "I even have a deck of mine own, that I commissioned from an artist."

"And 'make your own' sets, with blank cards and a drawing stick."

"I can arrange for you to have one." Luna replied. "Along with a series of suggested uses."

"Reading others' fortunes, games, and even a bit of storytelling," Bad grinned. "Clear Thought can help me out a bit."

Luna lifted one of the curtains aside, allowing Bad Apple to leave. "We shall meet again."

"Indeed." Bad kissed her cheek before leaving.

- - -

"So, we finally meet again, Celestia," Chrysalis spat the name out, as the Princess approached the chained changeling queen. "So what happens now? You turn me to stone and put me on display, next to Discord?"

"That was done by the Elements of Harmony, which I can't use," Celestia replied. "There's only two places secure enough to hold you. One is the Mountains of Madness. The stone itself will block your magic, and Fae can subsist on pony food."

Chrysalis rubbed a hoof along the ground. "And you intend to outlive me." She chuckled. "Leave me in a hole and forget about me? I suppose that's fitting, since I have done those exact things myself. With ponies and other Fae."

"The alternative," Celestia narrowed her eyes. "Is Tartaros. The timeless nature of the realm will preserve you in the state you enter it with."

Chrysalis looked at Celestia, through one of the holes in her hoof. "So I either die in a hole somewhere, or keep company with the Get of Chaos." She lowered her hoof and laughed. "And I chided your sister for being too merciful. It would've been better if she had executed me on the spot."

"What would you choose for yourself, then?" Celestia circled around Chrysalis.

"I'm no fool. Princess." The changeling said. "Anything short of my death presents me with the possibility of escape, and you know it. Even Tartaros is not as secure as you'd like to think. How long before we cross paths again? A millennium? Two?"

"I will not give the order for your execution," Celestia declared. "You will not push me into crossing that line."

"I suppose outside of a fight, you are not as fierce as you are reputed to be."

"My role is to defend Harmony," Celestia replied. "I believe in mercy and atonement."

"Neither of which you will get from me," Chrysalis snapped. "I would see you in chains, with your horn snapped and your wings plucked."

Celestia looked to The guard captain. "Take her to the mountains, along with her loyal retainer."

"Yes your Majesty." The captain saluted before leading Chrysalis and Lamella away.

"Why there, Aunt Celestia?" Prince Blueblood asked. Celestia turned to her nephew.

"She said it herself. On an infinite timeline, her escape from Tartaros is inevitable. Confining her to a mortal lifespan greatly reduces that chance."

"So you only have to keep her for eighty years or so."

"We will see," Celestia answered. "She may eventually come to see the error of her ways. I will check in ten years."

= = =

"Moon Court is now in session." A uniformed pony declared, punctuating the statement by thumping a heavy wooden timber against the floor. "Her Majesty, Princess Luna presiding."

Luna levitated a scroll and unrolled it. "Tonight, We shall settle the case of the Lulamoons verses the Midnight Cabaret. Then we will review last nights security breach." She looked to the aforementioned parties. "We have read over the constables' report of what transpired.The charges are as follows: Gilda sen Electra O'Bald-Lulamoon. Two counts of assault and battery, one count of disturbing the peace. Trixie O'Bald-Lulamoon, One count of unlawful restraint. Argentum mac Aurelio O'Bald. one count of assault and battery. Oiled Locks, one count of assault."

"Hah, I even committed more offenses than you, Kiwi." Gilda stuck her tongue out at the other griffon. Argentum gritted his beak.

"Let the record state that Gilda has admitted to her misdeeds," Luna said. A scribe make a quick notation, then looked to the Princess. "Now, how did this dispute start?"

"It goes way back to when we were growing up, your majesty," Argentum replied. "We're from the same clutch laid by fathers' first hen."

"Hard to believe. huh?" Gilda added. "I got all the skill and talent, he got to be male."

"At least I didn't dishonor the family!" Argentum snapped.

"SILENCE!" Both griffons gaped at Luna. "We see now that this family feud has been left to simmer for too long, and it has expanded to include others."

"Your Majesty, I acted only in self defense." Locks stated.

"Trixie did also."

Locks looked to the unicorn. "Ponyfeathers! You put a binding spell on my friend."

"Only because he attacked first." Trixie hmphed.

"She started it." Argentum pointed to Gilda.

"Yeah, well you're a slowpoke. You were even slow getting out of the egg."

The argument was suddenly silenced, as an indigo aura surrounded the four, though it took them a moment to notice and stop their attempts to talk. "Now that We have your attention, let Us speak." Luna removed the aura. "The Cabaret cannot stay here for too long. They will need to travel to another location to perform. They will be leaving, with or without Argentum and Oiled Locks." Argentum looked to Gray. The old unicorn nodded, giving him a stern glare. Luna looked to Gilda. "As for thee, We are greatly disappointed by thine actions. For what purpose did thou instigate this conflict?"

"Because dad always doted on him." Gilda said. "Do you know what it's like to be passed over for being the wrong sex?"

"I had it just as bad," Argentum replied. "He always lamented that your talents were wasted on you."

"Mothersquawker, I'm awesome."

"Thy father holds no sway here," Luna said. "Were you visitors from the High Peaks, We would have you returned. You both have violated Equestrian laws."

"Yeah fine, I'm guilty," Gilda said. "Trixie only acted to help me. She's innocent. Let her go, and I'll take whatever punishment you decide."

"No, Your Majesty." Trixie said. "Trixie failed in teaching her spouse the proper ways. I, will take full punishment." She untied her ribbon, then dropped it. "I do not deserve your favor."

"Gag me," Argentum muttered.

Luna quickly walked over to his seat. "Since thou has shown a disdain for for our laws and values, perhaps We shall provide an incentive." She looked to the scribe. "Our ruling is thus. The whole of the Midnight Cabaret are to be escorted to the State of Neighvada. There they will be given a year to build a favorable reputation. If after one year, they are still unknown, the Cabaret will have to disband, and all members must find another means of employment or support."

"Fly or die, little brother." Gilda smirked. "At least your wings won't be hobbled." Argentum gulped.

"Gilda," Luna looked to the hen. "Thou has shown a disdain for thy birth family, and by extension, their name. dost thou also carry the same contempt for thy spouses' family?"

"What? That's ridiculous." Gilda flared her wings. "I devoted myself to them and to you. Yeah it's a hard life, but it's a damn sight better than what Father ever gave me. Your Majesty, I love Trixie with all my heart. I'd do anything for her. I'd-I'd go to the ends of Equestria for her."

Luna levitated the ribbon, "Art thou aware of what this act truly signifies? Dost thou truly wish to surrender the favor that was bestowed upon thy ancestors." She retied it around Trixies' tail. "For penance, Thou ought to show thy devotion."

"I'll wear a dozen ribbons, if it pleases you, Phuri Daj," Trixie declared.

"We have no doubts about thy skills in entertainment, thus we had hoped to have thee as part of our court. But last nights actions put that into jeopardy. Thus, our ruling is thus. The Lulamoons are banished to Oneiraterra for a period of one year. Do not worry about thy domicile in the Schwarzwald. It shall be in good hooves."

"Trixie can live with that."

"Very well then, this case is closed." Luna declared. The Herald thumped the timber thrice, as the two parties were escorted out of the room.

Celestia got up from her seat and walked over to Luna. "You did well, little sister." She hooved over a large rolled scroll. "I feel confident enough to give you this."

"Thank you, Dear sister," Luna replied. She unrolled the scroll and read through it. "You promised me a week to rule."

"Of course. You get the chance to shine, and I get a vacation." She settled on her bench. "And I do enjoy the room you have set aside for me."

"You were always welcome to visit, dear sister." Luna gave her a smile.

"It's time that I start doing so." Celestia replied.

Comments ( 2 )

That Celestia/Chrysalis interchange was pretty zippy: I kept waiting for one of them to go postal, and I wasn't quite sure which one I wanted it to be.

I liked this story. I need to read the others around this Universe. Especially what happened to Toola and Cheerilee.

Login or register to comment