• Published 14th Oct 2014
  • 653 Views, 6 Comments

Shadow Celebration - Kipakuta



Princess Luna is hosting a Masquerade Ball at her Capital

  • ...
 6
 653

Lady of Shadows

"Have you told anyone?" Blank asked Clear Thought.

"No, as far as the rest of the Cabaret know, you were ambushed and stuffed into a closet somewhere, where a guard found you."

"Good." He replied. "And Luna's promised to keep it secret on her part."

"Are you two ready?" A pale blue earth pony grumped at the pair.

"Oh yes. Many apologies, Miss Lily." Clear replied, blushing. She walked over and took position at a designated space, while Blank Slate approached a podium that held a bundle of documents.

"So how does this work?" Blank examined the stack.

Frost Lily walked to the other side of the podium, and passed him one of the papers. "Please read this at a normal speaking volume."

"I, Blank Slate, freely declare, without any mental reservation, coercion or purpose of evasion, that I absolutely and entirely renounce and abjure all allegiance and loyalty to any sovereign power, potentate, state, or sovereignty of whom or which I have heretofore been a subject or citizen; that I absolutely and entirely renounce and abjure all authority, privileges, and property that I have been granted as a subject of said outside powers. From this time forward, I pledge my loyalty to Equestria and its' populace, whose Harmonic Values I share, that I will support and defend the Diarchy and Laws of Equestria, against all enemies, foreign and domestic; that I will come to the military aid of the nation when required by law, that I will perform work of national importance under civilian direction when required by the law. and that I understand and accept the consequences for violating this oath."

Frost Lily wrote on another document, then hooved it to Clear Thought. "Please sign in the second box, Miss Thought." She took a quill and signed, then Frost Lily inserted the paper in the bottom of the stack. She turned a few pages, took another document, and stamped it. "There, You are now a Citizen of Equestria." She lifted the document, and took the one below it. "This is your copy, don't lose it. Replacements are expensive."

Blank hooved it to Clear Thought, who put it in her saddlebag. "What about I.D. cards?" he asked.

"That, you can get at the Bureau of Duchal Services." Frost Lily replied. "There just happens to be an office on the Fifth Terrace of Nocne Mesta, and one on the Fifth Terrace of Canterlot. Take your pick."

"I doubt they'd be open this late." Blank smirked. "Maybe in the morning."

"Let's go rejoin the others." Clear Thought lead him away.

- - -

"Everybody up." One of the officers said as her partner dragged a baton along the bars of the jail cells. "You're all being transferred."

Argentum opened his eyes, groaned, then pushed himself to a standing position. "Hopefully to a four star hotel room." He said.

"Even better." The officer replied. "You're being bumped up to the Moon Court."

"What's the Moon Court?" Locks wondered.

"It'll be the nightly event for the public to meet with the Princess." The officer replied, opening ther cell. "She's agreed to hear your case."

"Our case?"

"The altercation between you and the other two." The police ponies placed manacles and wing restraints on Argentum first, then on Oiled Locks. "Follow us. There's a carriage waiting to take you to the castle." As they exited the station, Argentum and Locks noticed another carriage departing, with the other griffon and unicorn in the back. They boarded the rear cabin of the waiting carriage, then the officers entered the front, where another pony was already waiting.

"So how did we get so lucky?" Locks asked.

"Dunno," One of the officers answered. "We just got the word to have you four brought up to the castle."

The trip passed in silence. Once at the castle, Argentum and Locks were passed into the custody of the Lunar Guard, and their restraints replaced by tracking collars. They were lead down to the dungeons, where a few cells had been furbished with a modest bed and rug. "These are your rooms. Since you are placed under House arrest, you won't be confined to quarters unless you act out. However, if you leave the castle, we will receive an alert, and we will place you in full arrest."

"That sounds fair." Locks commented. "I suppose those other two get the same luxury."

"Yes, but any further conflict will result in you being placed under full arrest." The guard added.

"At least we won't be sleeping on bare stone." Argent commented.

- - -

With the food stored and the tables replaced by a row of benches that lined each of the walls, the great hall was little more than a long pathway between the foyer and the throne room. Spectators had been seated on the benches, while reporters were covering the spectacle, with cameras placed to avoid drawing attention. A squadron of Lunar Guards entered and announced the start of the ceremony, then Luna and Sardonyx strode into the hall, stopping after a few steps as reporters bombarded her with questions, pointing microphones at her.

"~Princess Luna, are you bothered by your sisters' absence?"

"~Nay, Celestia had-"

"~Princess Luna, how are relations with the Aegeman?"

"~We will be negotiating-"

"~Princess Luna, do you have a secret batpony army, and do they drink blood?"

"~What thou refers to as 'batponies' are actually-"

"~Princess Luna, Any truth to the rumors of a second changeling invasion?"

"~The situation is-"

"~Princess Luna, what is the purpose of Prince Armor and Princess Cadances' presence?"

Luna clenched her teeth, then tried to proceed. "~They are merely here to-"

"~Princess Luna, when will you be holding auditions to decide your consort?"

"~YOU MANGY MOB OF YOWLING YELLOW DESERT DOGS !" The outburst startled the crowd, and silenced the questions. "~FREEDOM OF THE PRESS DOES NOT MANDATE AN AVALANCHE OF QUESTIONS!"

"~There will be time aplenty for questions, after The Princess is restored to the throne." Sardonyx declared. "~If you continue to impede National Business, we have plenty of rooms available, in the basement."

There was some grumbling as reporters were lined up along one side, and the path was cleared. The questions started up again, but Luna brushed most of them aside. The reporters followed her to the Throne chamber, where more spectators were already present.

A line of three ponies stood alongside the dark blue rug that lead to the throne. Each pony carried a lance with a banner. Luna stopped at the first banner, then Sardonyx turned to Luna. "~We are mortal creatures, being asked to trust our lives to an immortal being, How can we be sure that you will not be a tyrant like Discord?"

"~I may have a long life compared to the denizens of Equestria, but I am a pony. I suffer when My subjects suffer. Their happiness is my happiness. Their trust will allow me to lead them." The first banner was raised, allowing them to continue on.

At the second banner, Sardonyx addressed her again. "~We have many fears, both great and small, real and perceived. You have the power to visit our dreams. How can we be sure that you will not abuse it."

"~I have vanquished two terrors, overcome another two. and ruined the plans of two more. As the shining blade of Equestria, I take threats seriously. I am just one pony, however. That is why I have the Lunar Guard to defend Umbratara, the Night Watch to check the shadows, and the Star Guard, to aid me in the dream world." The second banner was raised, and the pair proceeded to the third.

"~We are a diverse population," Sardonyx began. "~Ponies, Cows, Donkeys, Griffons, Diamond Dogs, Zebras, Buffalo, Fae, and Hybrids. How will you unify us under your rule?"

"With justice, wisdom, mercy and mirth." Luna declared. "As individuals, we are weak, but as a united nation, We are strong. Let Harmony guide our hooves, paws, talons, and fins."

"Shoo be doo." A voice called out, eliciting a round of laughter from the rest of the crowd."

After the third banner was lifted, Luna walked up the steps to the throne. The seat was an Etrotscan style bench, constructed from oak and stained dark. Ornate carvings decorated the sides and tall back. The bench was padded with blue upholstery, and a pair of batlike wings extended from the peak of the pointed arch of the backing, to form a canopy. Luna bowed to the crowd, before speaking. "I, Princess Luna, Daughter of Clover the Clever, of the House of Platinum. humbly ask to retake my place as Ruler of Umbratara."

"Hail, Princess Luna!" The crowd chanted, placing a hoof, talon, or paw over their hearts.

- - -

"Hail Princess Luna." Bad Apple said in a sotto voice, listening to the ceremony on the other side of a dark blue curtain behind the throne.

"Hail Prince Bad Apple." he heard somepony behind him say. He whirled around, and saw an orange unicorn with a reddish-orange mane. She hovered above the bed, in a reclining position."

"I'm sorry. Have we met?" He approached slowly. "Guests aren't permitted back here."

"I'm permitted everywhere." The mare replied with a laugh. She descended, settling on the bed before turning to him. "And I have been watching you for a long time." She cooed, wearing a seductive grin.

"Then you should know that I'm loyal to her." Bad Apple replied.

"Yes yes," The mare replied. "And she to you. But I wonder."

"Think you can tempt me?" He turned away.

"I know I can." The mare answered, suddenly appearing next to him. "But I have no intention of trying to sway you away from her. Quite the opposite in fact."

"You want me to get closer to her?" Bad sidestepped away. "How do you propose I do that?"

"This is my proposition," The mare began. "There is one path you can take, that won't end in heartbreak."

"You want me to...?" Bad Apple began. The mare smiled and nodded. "Wait, why?"

"Because, you are the most interesting creature I have met." The mare replied. "Apart from myself, that is."

"The most interesting creature." Bad mulled over the appellation. "Yes, I suppose that I am." He looked to the mare and scowled. "But I thought you weren't supposed to show favoritism."

Fortuna chuckled. "I may be bound by certain restrictions, but I am allowed to give prophecy."

"So why now, after all this time. Why do you reveal yourself?" Bad Apple wondered.

"Because tonight, you used your talent against me." Fortuna grinned.

"The bead," Bad Apple replied. "Before it even left her hoof, I saw the path it would take. But how does that fit my talent."

"How would things have played out differently, if Celestia had to step in."

Bad thought this over for a while. "Luna's public image would've been weakened. She wouldn't command as much respect." He gasped. "That's it! I don't just expose the bad, I also remove the weakness in others, nurturing their growth."

"I think he gets it." Fortuna said, as she faded away.