• Published 20th Sep 2014
  • 2,155 Views, 32 Comments

A Rainbow's True Colors - xStellar_Bubbles



Rainbow Dash is known to be a fearless pony. But, her bravery is put to the test when she has to get that ONE thing that she really doesn't want: a vaccine.

  • ...
2
 32
 2,155

A Rainbow's True Colors

It was a fine late summer afternoon. The breeze of the wind was getting colder, the leaves of the trees were changing colors, and animals were starting to hibernate. After all, fall is coming. In the distance of Ponyville, Rainbow Dash was lounging around on a cloud right next to her house. She was enjoying her last few days of summer. Meanwhile, Applejack was nearby, also enjoying her final days of this season by galloping across Ponyville. At a sudden stop, she noticed Rainbow and her home in the sky. Applejack then trotted over to see how Rainbow Dash was doing.

"Hey, Rainbow!" she called out. Surprised, Rainbow turned around to see who called her name and saw Applejack below her.

"Oh, hey Applejack! Why are you here, doesn't Applebuck Season start today?" she asked.

"Nope, already done that with the rest of the family," Applejack replied.

"Oh, okay," Rainbow Dash said. At the spur of a moment, a gust of wind chilled down her spine. "Brrr, how do you actually get work done when it's this chilly today?"

"Well, you know me and the Apples, always working very hard in any kinda weather!" Applejack also replied. Hey, that reminds me, she thought.

"Speaking of weather, have ya taken your- what's it called?- Oh, a vaccine! Rainbow, haven't you taken that yet?" At that moment, Rainbow Dash had her eyes wide opened and made a face that clearly said, "Celestia, help me."

"Uh... nope." Oh gosh, this can't be good, she thought.

"Well, why didn't ya take it sooner? Like ya said, it's gettin' chillier, and ponies are gonna be sick!" Applejack said. Ponyfeathers... Rainbow thought once again.

"The thing is, uh, Applejack, I, uh, don't need one! Yeah. Besides, since when will I get sick because of the cold? Also, why don't you get one yourself first?" Rainbow Dash said with a forced smile and a shrug.

"Because, Rainbow, I already got one!" Applejack triumphantly said as she revealed a green bandage on her front right forearm. "Now, why don't ya get down from there and stop crazy talkin'?"Giving up with defeat, Rainbow slowly and reluctantly floated down to the ground from her cloud. Applejack then made taunting giggles.

"Um, AJ? What's so funny?" Rainbow confusingly questioned.

"Oh, nothing. It's just that I realized somethin'," Applejack said.

"So, what is it exactly?" agitated Rainbow asked.

"That miss Rainbow 'Danger' Dash just might be scared of needles!" Applejack replied while snickering. As soon as she heard that statement, Rainbow's cheeks blushed a pinkish-red color.

"N-No! What are you even talking about?!" she shouted in embarrassment. Applejack then burst into more cackling.

"Applejack, I'll even prove it to you that I'm, in fact, not scared of shots!" Rainbow said arrogantly.

"Heh, whatever you say, sugar cube. I'll meetcha there then," Applejack said as she hurriedly ran ahead of her friend to find a doctor's office. Rainbow stared at her zooming companion and made a tiny fearful whine.

"Come on, Rainbow! What are ya waitin' for?" shouted Applejack as Rainbow Dash flew to catch up with her.

A few minutes of running and flying later, both Rainbow Dash and Applejack at Dr Gallop's; the Ponyville doctor's office. Looking at the sign, Rainbow made a soft gulp while Applejack was making a smug face through the whole trip. The two mares entered and found themselves in the waiting room. Fillies and colts filled the room. Some of them were crying while their parents were trying to reassure their children with calm whispers or back-patting. They all must need to get it as well, thought Rainbow as she looked around the room and sat next to her friend.

"I just cannot wait to see the look on your face when you get that shot! It'll be as hilarious as when Rarity got her fancy mane wet!" Applejack said.

"Yeah, right, as if I'm going to actually make that face you're imagining, Applejack!" Rainbow Dash answered to Applejack while she was trying to get her usual confident expression.

After what seemed like forever for them, a white mare with a pink mane and a red plus cutie mark charged into the waiting room.

"Rainbow Dash?" she called out. While Rainbow and Applejack were going to the certain room, Rainbow was giving her friendly rival an angry glance while Applejack was staring back at her with the same smug smile. Eventually, the three mares were at room 302. As they entered, they saw that there were diagrams of pony body parts and all types of medicines everywhere as usual in every doctor's office. Rainbow Dash climbed on the paper-covered cushion table while the white mare was gathering her equipment out of her saddlebags.

"Hello, Rainbow. My name is Nurse Redheart, your nurse for this day. Stay still, let me do some check-ups first," she said. Once she got her equipment, Redheart then checked Rainbow's blood pressure, her ears, eyes, muzzle, and reflexes.

"Alright, you seem pretty healthy so far, Rainbow Dash. Give me a minute and I'll get back to you," the nurse said to her patient as she was rummaging through her saddlebags once again. Slightly peering at the bags, Rainbow had an anxious feeling of what was going to happen next. After she was done sifting, Nurse Redheart pulled out a needle filled with a green serum. Rainbow let out a very weak yelp as the nurse tried to hold the tool with her hooves.

"Do not worry, miss Rainbow Dash. Everything's going to be fine," she said with a reassuring smile. Seeing the utmost fear in her face, Applejack's simper that was about to explode in laughter faded at the sight of her friend's face turning pale. With a warm grin, Applejack mouthed the phrase, "You got this!" to Rainbow for comfort. But, that wasn't actually enough. For when Nurse Redheart was about to give Rainbow Dash a shot, Rainbow just couldn't take it anymore. She attempted to fly away. But, Applejack quickly grabbed onto her tail with her mouth, dragging her back to the utterly confused and surprised nurse.

"No! In the name of Celestia! Please! I'm not ready for it! Somepony help me!" Rainbow Dash scaredly shouted. While she was busy dramatically crying, Applejack simply nudged her head at her frightened friend as Nurse Redheart rolled her eyes and punctured the vaccine into Rainbow's flailing arms. The nurse then softly tapped on her patient's forearm.

"Rainbow, it's all over, you can stop now," Nurse Redheart said as Rainbow Dash started to calm down.

"Wait, that's it?" she asked while Nurse Redheart put a red bandage on where the vaccine was administered.

"Yep, pretty much. See, it ain't that bad at all, right?" Applejack said.

"Hey, I guess you're right, Applejack. I exaggerated the thought of shots being so bad that I forgot about the kind of pony I was!" Rainbow said with her confidence back as she gave her friend a light 'Thank you' hug.

"So, Rainbow, I heard that the Running of the Leaves event is coming back soon, why don't we train for it so we can get higher than last place?"

"Heh, sure thing Applejack," Rainbow replied. After a thank you and a tipping for Nurse Redheart, the two friends ran out the door.

Author's Note:

Inspired by a real-life event.
----------------------------------------------
Hey guys! Thanks for reading my fanfic! As always, don't be afraid to give me some constructive criticism!

Comments ( 32 )

Kind of cool to me.

5031005 Glad to here that from you! :pinkiehappy:

I like it. You get a fav and a like from me sir/madam. It reminds me of the story I wrote about RD getting a tooth surgically removed.

5031385 Thank you very much! :pinkiehappy: For your information, I'm a madam :twilightsmile:

5031446 well then, congradulations upon your greatest endeavours.

5031243 Also have you ever seen a dragon scale-less?

5031495 There's never a story about an embarrassing dragon went scale-less.

:rainbowlaugh: I wrote an Inuyasha one shot where Inuyasha gets a vaccine.

5031654 Interesting, I'll go check that out! :pinkiehappy:

You did a great work! :raritywink:

Hahah, that was cute, I liked it. There were a few small past/present tense conflicts that I saw like

In the distance of Ponyville, Rainbow Dash was lounging around on a cloud that is right next to her house.

But other than small things like that, it was pretty good. So, was this based on experience you personally had with needles? I know a few people myself who are scared of them, I used to be freaked out by them myself when I was really young, but after I got out of grade school it stopped bothering me.

5039312 Yep, pretty much :twilightoops: In fact, I only got the vaccine three days ago. Also, thanks for the favorite!

This piece of fiction is really cute and I love it. I could actually see this as being an actual episode.

Excellent work! I see much improvement. The plot is entertaining and the dialogue is realistic. I love RD's reaction; it is hilarious while still being completely in character.
Keep up the good work!:twilightsmile:

Inspired by a real-life event.

from like everyone ever.:rainbowlaugh:

But not me though:rainbowdetermined2:. I was never afraid of sharp objects injecting strange substances from a guy in a white coat saying it will be over before you know it. I always knew dammit, always.:eeyup:

Rereading this story gave me an idea for an episode that the show needs to have:
Rainbow Dash hides the fact that she's scared of something from her friends. They find out her fear near the end of the episode, and the lesson of the episode is that it's okay to be scared of things.

5554347 Yeah,'I've always wanted an episode like that for some reason!

5554425 the show is due for one soon. Fluttershy has had two episodes about fears, and Scootaloo has had one. Rainbow dash will have hers next

Comment posted by superfun deleted Jan 27th, 2015

Reviewed story for Goodfic bin: this was a nice enough story, but it doesn't really do much aside from the one joke it tells, so I'm rejecting it from the submissions folder.

More details here.

:rainbowlaugh: The great Rainbow Dash, afraid of one little needle!:rainbowlaugh:

It was a bit rushed to me.

A needle? HA!

*one is shown to me*

*Brave Soul has had a fright-filled heart attack*

What is the real event and when did it happen?:rainbowhuh:

Login or register to comment