• Published 22nd Sep 2014
  • 2,816 Views, 774 Comments

Dueling Keyboards - FanOfMostEverything



FoME's submissions to the Writeoff Contests, along with other bits and bobs.

  • ...
6
 774
 2,816

PreviousChapters Next
Double Standard

Everyone who Gabby had helped attended her cuteceƱera. Given her use of the Crusaders' old "Try everything" strategy, that covered most of the town, as did the celebration itself. Confetti flew, music played, and the town's resident princess sulked at one of Le PĆ¢turage's mushroom tables, her only company a glass of sadly non-alcoholic punch.

"Hey, Twilight."

She perked up at the greeting. "Starlight! What have you been up to?"

"I ran out of excuses, so Rainbow Dash made sure I wasn't going to bed tonight without knowing precisely who and what the Wonderbolts are." Starlight sat by Twilight's side. "And somehow, you seem more run down than I feel. Are you okay?"

"Oh, you know. Just found out that there wasn't a discovery that would make us question everything we thought we knew about cutie marks. After gearing up for a massive research project. And coming up with the perfect title for the journal article: 'When the Hoof of Destiny is a Talon: Cutiesynthesis in Non-Equinoids.'" Twilight sighed and brought her head back onto the table. "I suppose I should be grateful that the Crusaders told me the truth before I finished drafting my letter to Princess Celestia."

"Yeah, definitely could've been worse," Starlight said with a sigh of her own.

Twilight's ear perked up at that. She straightened up a moment later. "Are you okay?"

"Well..." Starlight bit her lip. "Can I ask you a question?"

"Of course. You're my student." Twilight smirked. "And technically speaking, you already did."

Starlight rolled her eyes despite her smile. "Right." Her expression fell. "Did you... tell anypony in Ponyville about, you know, what I did before I became your student?"

"That's..." Twilight gaze went distant as she thought. "Well, that's actually kind of complicated."

"It is?"

"Well, I told the other princesses what you did in Our Town, of course. You were a frighteningly powerful and ingenious mage capable of mutilating souls because you never thought to get your one friend's mailing address." Twilight shut her eyes, trembling and breathing heavily.

After a few moments, Starlight said, "No offense?"

Twilight shuddered. "Right. Yeah. Sorry, it's just..." She shook her head. "That night in that shack with the propaganda on a constant loop was... Well, I try not to think about it too often. Where was I?"

"I was a horrible equine being?"

Twilight grimaced. "Harsher than I intended, but... yes. In any case, at the time, you were still at large and the nation needed to be able to defend itself against you. So the police here in Ponyville probably recognize you as a once nationally wanted criminal prior to the royal pardon." Twilight smiled. "You know, all two policeponies."

Starlight started to nod, but paused halfway through. "Wait, if I was nationally wanted, then why was I able to walk through Canterlot with impunity?"

"You were able to what?"

"You remember that time you were reconnecting with your friends from school? I kind of spied on your dinner conversation."

Twilight facehoofed and groaned. "If Celestia swept this under the rug, I swear, we will be having words. Don't get me wrong, I respect her as much as I ever did, but it seems like that mare just waits for half of her problems to die." She gasped. "Oh! No offense."

Starlight shrugged. "I've suspected as much for a while. Why do you think I was indoctrinating the next generation?" She sighed. "But enough about my lesser atrocities. What about nearly destroying Equestria?"

"That actually presents a fascinating moral quandary. Depending on how time works, either none of your actions actually lasted for longer than a few minutes, or even if they did, they didn't actually impact this timeline."

"Which totally absolves her of all guilt whatsoever."

Both turned to the source of the third muttered voice. Twilight beamed. "Lyra! I didn't see you there. Did you say something?"

Lyra returned the smile as she walked away. "Just passing by and saying hi."

"Such a nice mare. Don't know how I could ever lose touch with her." Twilight turned back to Starlight. "Anyway, while your actions were terrible, they didn't cause any lasting harm as far as we'll ever know. Given your genuine repentance, I felt that it would be best if Ponyville didn't know about the whole 'accidental omnicide' thing. I mean, I'd be a pretty terrible Princess of Friendship if I couldn't accept the apology of a mare who finally understood how badly she'd messed up and who truly wanted to amend her ways. Does that answer your question?"

"The one I asked you, yes," said Starlight, "but it still leaves me with one."

"What?"

"Why is it when I make a cake instantaneously, I'm threatening the Cakes' livelihood, but when a griffon does it, ponies literally sing her praises?"

PreviousChapters Next