• Published 22nd Sep 2014
  • 2,811 Views, 774 Comments

Dueling Keyboards - FanOfMostEverything



FoME's submissions to the Writeoff Contests, along with other bits and bobs.

  • ...
6
 774
 2,811

PreviousChapters Next
Giddyup! Her Erasers

Twilight had considered and rejected many names for her new home since she’d received it. Castle Ponyville, too derivative. Sparkalon, too egocentric. The Sapling of Harmony, potentially inaccurate. Ponies had started calling it “Namepending Castle” as months passed without her coming to a decision, and part of her worried it might just become the place’s name before she could make a choice.

Today, however, the potential name that came to mind was “Friendship Castle,” because as Twilight looked at the angry mob clustered around her front door, she was all too aware that the place was not designed for withstanding a siege.

“Everypony, please!” she said, her voice magically amplified to carry over the crowd. “There’s no need to be upset!”

“There’s plenty of need to be upset!” cried Bright Eyes, so mad that she could see straight. She jabbed a hoof at Starlight, who was hiding behind Twilight. “She turned Dinky into a colt! And I’m pretty sure my name isn’t what it was two days ago!”

“At least you still had a child!” cried Silver Platter, her voice augmented only by maternal outrage. “My Silver Spoon ceased to exist entirely!”

Spiral Fracture nodded, his thick curls bouncing with the motion. “So did my Twist!”

“AND MY FEATHERWEIGHT!” boomed Bulk Biceps.

“And my Axe,” rumbled Gimlet, son of Glowing, his beard protectively wrapped around his son Axe Blade.

Cheerilee spoke calmly, but her glare had all the damning accusation she could need. “More than half of my class vanished yesterday and I didn’t even know it. This is unacceptable, Twilight.”

“I understand. But Starlight and I successfully tracked down the space-time shockwave her alterations had caused and dampened it such that its magnitude is no longer great enough to overcome even one pony’s moment of ontological inertia, which should've retroactively undone all of the previous distortions.”

The crowd’s general displeased murmuring fell silent, their scowls replaced with blank stares. Almost as one, their eyes turned to Spike.

He rolled his eyes and crossed his arms. “They found the problem and fixed it. It won’t happen again.”

”Ohhh.”

Twilight pouted, suppressing the amplification long enough to mutter, “That’s what I said.”

Silver Platter resumed scowling, pointing at Starlight. “It still wouldn’t have happened if it weren’t for her.”

Slowly, her head hung low, Starlight made her way out from behind Twilight. “You’re right,” she said. “It happened because I did something terribly foolish when I was angry and misguided and didn’t understand the consequences of my actions. And for that, I am terribly sorry. I’m still making up for it, and I hope you can all forgive me.”

Uncertain murmurs rippled through the crowd. They dispersed over the next few minutes. “She did say she was sorry,” Bright Eyes said as she flapped off.

Twilight let out a sigh of relief. “Thank goodness.”

“No kidding.” Spike went back inside.

“This really is the friendliest town in Equestria,” said Starlight.

Twilight frowned at her. “Yes, but even they have their limits.”

“I got that much from Trixie.”

That got a wince. “Yeah. Still, this is probably the last time you’ll be able to get by with an apology.”

“I’ll hoof the line from now on.”

“Good. And remember Starswirl’s Zeroth Law of Time Travel.”

Starlight blinked. “I don’t think I’ve ever heard that one. What is it?”

Don’t.

PreviousChapters Next