• Published 22nd Sep 2014
  • 2,808 Views, 774 Comments

Dueling Keyboards - FanOfMostEverything



FoME's submissions to the Writeoff Contests, along with other bits and bobs.

  • ...
6
 774
 2,808

PreviousChapters Next
False Negative

"And then she just stormed out of the building without even sampling the cuisine!" Rarity finished the story with a toss of her head.

Most of the others seated on the picnic blanket shook their heads and tutted, but one winced instead.

Fluttershy put a hoof on his thigh. "Is something the matter, Discord?"

"Well..." Discord fiddled with a stick of butter for bit, using it to spread raisin bread on a knife before saying, "What do you call that feeling when you realize that you're the only one having fun and that that's a bad thing?"

The mares traded uncertain looks. "Shame?" said Fluttershy.

"Regret?" Twilight tried.

After a bit of consideration, Discord shook his head. "Close, not quite."

Pinkie said, "Guilt?"

Discord beamed and nodded. "That's the one!" He leaned back, quite proud of himself. "I feel guiltish."

"Guilty," said Twilight.

"That too."

Applejack frowned. "Now why in th' hay would you feel guilty 'bout some froufrou food critic with 'er muzzle lodged up 'er own tail end?"

"Think about it." Discord starting ticking off points on his eagle talon. "Her color scheme's desaturated. Her preferences and behavior are the exact opposite of what you'd expect from a food critic. Twilight's cartographic coffee table considered her a source of disharmony on par with the collapse of a second-world city-state and a generations-old, landscape-despoiling feud."

"An' a Manehattan neighborhood what wasn't actin' neighborly."

"Hmm. Point." Discord shrugged. "Maybe the Map just gives Rarity the low-yield missions."

Rarity glared at him. "I beg your pardon!"

"Really? What did you do to need it?"

Fluttershy nudged him. "Discord."

"Right." Discord cleared his throat and dipped his head towards Rarity. "My apologies; just thinking out loud. I tend to lose my filter when I'm speculating."

"Here it is!" Pinkie Pie held up a rainbow-patterned loop filled with a irregular mess of wire mesh.

"Thank you, Pinkie." Discord took the object, swallowed it, and continued. "My point is that this Zesty Gourmand seems to have my appendageprints all over her. It says a lot that it took this long for anypony to notice. Not sure if it says more about fine dining, Canterlot, or ponies in general, but it says a lot."

Rainbow Dash looked up from her plate, having cleaned it over the course of the conversation. "Wouldn't you know if you'd done something to her or not?"

"Eh." Discord shrugged. "I could have perfect recall, but I don't. Same reason I don't have omniscience or clairvoyance. Total knowledge of the past is just as boring as total knowledge of the present or future."

"While I'm happy to see you want to take responsibility for your actions," said Twilight, "I don't think you're to blame for Zesty Gourmand's... eccentricity."

"Yeah," said Dash. "Unless you've been going around messing with ponies' heads since we let you out again, the Elements would've had to have missed her when we beat you the first time."

"True."

Twilight gave Discord an appraising look. "And you haven't been messing with anypony's head, have you?"

He grinned. "Only my friends'."

Dash wingshrugged. "Then Zesty's just a jerk."

"Oh." Discord crossed his arms, then folded the lion-furred talons over his chest. "That's... vaguely disappointing."

"The world doesn't revolve around you, Discord," said Rarity.

He grinned. "It could if I wanted it to."

Fluttershy looked to the eighth member of the picnic. "Starlight, you've been rather quiet. Are you alright?"

Starlight gave an uneasy smile. "Just... just a little shocked."

"Why's that?"

"Oh, you know, just that you're all friends with a physical god, comfortable enough to tease a being who could annihilate all of us with a thought." Starlight let out a slightly unhinged giggle.

Discord gave a much calmer smile. "As I'm sure you've noticed, Starlight, this group does an excellent job of instilling much-needed humility."

Author's Note:

It's an interesting question: Between Zesty's behavior and color scheme, if she were discorded, could we even tell?

PreviousChapters Next