• Published 22nd Sep 2014
  • 2,811 Views, 774 Comments

Dueling Keyboards - FanOfMostEverything



FoME's submissions to the Writeoff Contests, along with other bits and bobs.

  • ...
6
 774
 2,811

PreviousChapters Next
For a Given Value: Closing the Loop

Author's Note:

This was intended to be an epilogue for For a Given Value, but I couldn't think of a way to make it work without taking away more than it gave. Still, I liked it enough to put it here.

Hearth's Warming in the Twilight household was a time of merriment, good cheer, and books. Lots of books. Books in shelves, books as gifts, book-shaped decorations...

Suffice to say, it wasn't hard to see where Twilight got it. There were even book ornaments on the tree, and book-themed wrapping paper on the presents she and Spike were putting under it. Presents which were, of course, books.

She gave him one of those amused sidelong glances she didn't think he noticed. "Are you still wearing that thing?"

Spike puffed out his chest, showing off the bow tie. "It looks good on me! And it smells like gems."

"You think everything smells like gems."

"Do not!" He jabbed a claw at Twilight. "You smell like Mom's getting you to shower every day!"

"That's neither here nor there." And if asked, she'd say her blush was from a completely unrelated embarrassing memory. "Now help me get these last few gifts under the tree."

"Sure th—" A loose thread from his bowtie brushed against Spike's nose. "Thuh... uhhhh..."

"Spike?" Twilight's eyes widened as she took a step back. "Oh no, turn away from—"

"CHOO!" Green fire shot out. Spike was able to turn a little, enough to avoid Twilight's gifts.

Not enough to miss the big box already under the tree.

Both silently stared at the rising smoke for a few seconds. "Oh. Oh shoot," Twilight's mouth said as her brain spun back up. "Um. Take a letter?"

Spike shook his head even as he quietly removed the bow tie. "I don't think that one went to the princess."

Twilight went very, very still, eyes locked on a bit of plain gold wrapping paper that hadn't gotten caught in the blast. "What do you mean that didn't go to the princess? That's what your flame does. Send things to the princess."

"Yeah, and I can feel it do that. This felt different. Instead of warm, it felt..." Spike hesitated. It had felt the way a citrine tasted mixed with the smell of the palace gardens in the spring and Shining sharing his comic books. He shrugged. "I dunno, it's dragon magic. How did it feel when you finally got that automatic knot-untying spell working?"

That got a groan. "Well, we can't just sit here and wait for somepony to find out what happened."

Twilight Velvet poked her head into the room. "Why, what happened?"

Sparkle jabbed a hoof at Spike. "Spike did it!"

"Wow. Thanks, Twilight."

Velvet raised an eyebrow and walked into the room. A bowl of cookie dough hovered by her, stirring itself even as she grabbed the spared scrap, which included the gift tag. She smiled. "Oh! Don't worry, you two, that was a gag gift."

"It was?" both chorused

"Oh yes. Nighty's been going on about his 'field work' coming up in a few moons, so I got him a set of work boots he can use to tromp around in that rugged, outdoorsy heated observatory." Velvet shrugged and ruffled Spike's frill. "Don't worry about it, sweetie. These things happen. Even if they aren't Celestia's size."

Spike smiled, the tension leaving his limbs. "I don't think they went to Celestia, Mom."

"Really?" That got another shrug. "Well then, I hope whoever does get them enjoys them."


Apple Bloom's jaw dropped when the box had appeared. It took a few moments before she could collect herself enough to shout, "Applejack! Applejack! Chancellor Puddin'head left you a present!"

"Aw, 'course she did, Sugarcube. She..." Applejack trailed off once she got to the family room and took in the package. Orange wrapping, yellow ribbon, both still speckled with chimney soot. "Huh. How 'bout that." She started tearing it open.

Apple Bloom bounced around her. There wasn't a good angle for her with the box still in the hearth. "Ain't you gonna wait until tomorrow?"

"With a special delivery like this? Seems more rude t' put it off." Applejack dragged the open box onto the floor and extracted the bounty within. "Huh."

Apple Bloom's ears drooped. "Aw. Jus’ boots?"

Applejack didn't seem to mind. Apple Bloom hoped she never got so old that she'd be excited by boots. "I ain't gonna turn down a genuine Hearth's Warmin' miracle."

PreviousChapters Next