• Published 22nd Sep 2014
  • 2,809 Views, 774 Comments

Dueling Keyboards - FanOfMostEverything



FoME's submissions to the Writeoff Contests, along with other bits and bobs.

  • ...
6
 774
 2,809

PreviousChapters Next
Mascarpolo

Pinkie Pie took in her work. Some ponies might see the drooping streamers, wilting balloons, and booths in need of taking down as depressing, a reminder that every party ended eventually, especially with the added symbolism of the setting sun. But Pinkie wasn't some ponies. She just saw the memories of fun and the knowledge that she had brought it. Even to the yaks.

"Great work, Pinkie," said Twilight, whose magic was folding one of the tents. "We couldn't have done this without you."

"No kidding," Rainbow Dash said while gathering a string of flags. "I never thought streamers could do that. Now I know how Derpy feels around packing tape."

"Thanks, guys." Pinkie sighed and smiled. "It all turned out well in the end, didn't it?"

"Looks like it," a low voice drawled from the shadows of a nearby house.

All six friends turned to face the unexpected pony. Dash tensed up. Rarity reared into the opening stance of Cobra Hoof. Twilight lit her horn.

Pinkie beamed and pounced. "Cheesie!"

"Pinkie!" Cheese Sandwich all but exploded out from under his serape, meeting her in a midair collision of a hug and leaving the rest of the Bearers to relax as best they could.

The embrace lasted for a short time before Pinkie gasped and pulled away. "Cheese, I never thought I'd say this, and please don't take it the wrong way, but please don't tell me you came to throw a party in Ponyville."

Cheese blinked for a moment. "Well, I'm actually en route to Tallahorsee, but Ponyville seemed like a better place to stay the night than the open road."

Rarity smirked and raised an eyebrow. "Oh?"

With a cough, Cheese cried, "So! Pinkie!" He put on a grin so fake that it might as well have come out of a spray can. "Why didn't you of all ponies want a party?"

Pinkie groaned and fell on her side. "Because the one we're cleaning up was for some of the grumpiest grumpuses I've ever had to entertain!"

Cheese offered her a hoof. As he pulled her back up, he asked, "Who could possibly dislike one of your parties?"

All six mares chorused the answer. "Yaks."

"Yaks?" Cheese tilted his head. "Yakyakistani yaks?"

"Are there any others?" asked Dash.

"Not that I know of. But Yakyakistan was one of the most easily entertained places I've ever been to!"

There was a terrible silence as a dozen eyes stared deep into Cheese Sandwich. Twilight broke the hush. "You've... been... to Yakyakistan?"

Cheese beamed. "Sure! After the first time I threw a party in the Crystal Empire, my Cheesy Sense kept dragging me further and further north. Princess Cadence herself escorted me to the northern border. Real nice of her." He put a hoof to his chin. "Though I'm not sure why."

Pinkie gasped. "Me too!"

"An' yer sayin' them yaks were an easy audience?" said Applejack.

"Are you kidding? They loved everything! That far north, they were desperate for novelty! Anything Equestrian was an incredible new experience for them."

"You don't say," Rarity deadpanned.

"And, uh..." Cheese's grin grew nervous, "I may have mentioned the pony who inspired me."

Fluttershy's eyes widened. "So the yaks came here expecting a Pinkie Pie party?"

"And it looks like they weren't disappointed!" Cheese's wide smile slowly shrank as nopony else joined in his enthusiasm. "Uh, weren't they?"


"And that," Pinkie Pie said to her foals, "is why your papa wrote the Book of the Marvels of the World."

"Because Princess Aunt Twilight would've zapped him otherwise?" asked Sachertorte.

"Exactly!"

Author's Note:

Sachertorte and the idea of Pinkie having triplets come courtesy of scoots2, whose stories convinced me to board this ship.

PreviousChapters Next