• Published 22nd Sep 2014
  • 2,810 Views, 774 Comments

Dueling Keyboards - FanOfMostEverything



FoME's submissions to the Writeoff Contests, along with other bits and bobs.

  • ...
6
 774
 2,810

PreviousChapters Next
After-Action Retort

Princess Celestia strode through the halls of Castle Canterlot with all the grace and dignity expected of her, head held high, mane streaming behind her like a banner stitched from the dawn sky. As she entered her personal chambers, the guards on either side of the door stiffened and straightened themselves to maximum severity, which she acknowledged with a nod. Only when she shut the door behind her and layered the walls with a soundproofing spell did she let out the groan.

It was a long, heartfelt groan, starting high and descending with Celestia's posture. She held it as she threw off her regalia with carelessness that would horrify its attendants in the morning. The guttural utterance persisted as she dragged herself to her bed. It stretched on to the very limits of her lung capacity as she buried her muzzle in her pillows.

"That bad?" asked Luna.

Celestia wasn't surprised. Luna had made a habit of emerging from the shadows even before she'd discovered Batmane. The older sister just gave another, much shorter groan in response as she turned to face the younger. "It was all I could to do to mollify them. I kept thinking about all the ways we could have done it differently, all the missed opportunities."

Luna approached and nuzzled Celestia. "But we did our part. We gave the others the time they needed to find how to repair the Crystal Heart and helped them implement it."

"At the very last minute."

"It was a victory."

Celestia turned away. "Barely."

A shadow flitted over her. The mattress dipped as Luna heaved herself onto the other side. "Everypony is wise when looking back, Tia. We did the best we could at the time and nopony died, despite the efforts of some to shuffle themselves off the mortal coil through sheer thick-headedness."

"We could have done better," said Celestia, looking away, her ears drooping.

"Yes. We could have. We could have ended Sombra before he laid his curse upon the Empire. We could have anticipated Discord's escape once new Bearers attuned to the Elements. We could have talked about my grievances before my foalish tantrum. We aren't perfect. We aren't goddesses. Deathless we may be, but we are still subject to equine folly and frailty in our way." A blue aura gently tugged at Celestia's head. She let it turn her to look at Luna's smile. "So we learn. We grow. It takes us longer, for our great masses of experience are heavy loads, hard to move with any fresh impetus. But wallowing in regret is the sort of folly that leads to the like of the Tantibus. Remember what has come, Tia, but do not let it rule you. Come the next crisis—"

"And there's always a next crisis."

Luna nodded. "And when it come, we will do better. And we will not be alone."

Celestia managed a smile. "How did you manage to get some real wisdom? I could use some."

"If there is one area where I have more experience than you, dear sister, it is failure."

"I have failed at least as much as you, Luna. I—" A pillow to the muzzle cut off Celestia. "Did you just—" Another followed. The second salvo fell away to reveal a fiery gaze, the last thing many enemies of Equestria had seen. "Challenge accepted, sister."

By the time the custodial staff came in the next morning, they couldn't even see the floor under the feathers.

Author's Note:

This was going to be the end to a separately published story, but I realized that the press conference itself was little more than a glorified headcanon dump and saw no reason to subject you all to it. If you'd like to read the cut portion, you can find it here.

PreviousChapters Next