• Published 22nd Sep 2014
  • 2,809 Views, 774 Comments

Dueling Keyboards - FanOfMostEverything



FoME's submissions to the Writeoff Contests, along with other bits and bobs.

  • ...
6
 774
 2,809

PreviousChapters Next
The Simple Solution

Discord groaned for what felt like the twentieth time as the group made their way towards the changeling citadel. "This would be so much easier if it weren’t a hostage situation."

Trixie gritted her teeth."What would make it easier would be certain draconequuses piping down for once!"

"For your information, the proper plural is 'draconequodes.'"

"Besides, you're only making it harder on yourself by talking as you walk."

"So are you."

Starlight cut in before Trixie could say anything beyond incoherent growls. "What do you mean, Discord?"

"You don't get to be the Spirit of Chaos without a decent imagination. If Queen Bugbutt really thinks one little null-magic zone could stop me, she’d have another thing coming. It’s simple: I’d just have to go into space, find a pre-existing meteor, and send it hurtling down on her tacky little castle. That hunk of nullstone she’s squatting on might drain magic, but it can’t do anything against mundane momentum. Next thing you know, BAM!" Discord smacked his talon into his paw. "No more throne. Or much of anything else for that matter. Rocks fall, everyling dies, just like my usual Ogres & Oubliettes game."

"So why don’t you do it?" said Trixie.

Discord gave her a long, disbelieving look. Slowly, as though speaking to a very thick foal, he said, "I already said why. It’s a hostage situation." He thrust an arm towards the castle. "Fluttershy’s in there!" After a moment, he added, "And, you know, some other ponies. Like Fluttershy’s friends, and literally every alicorn, including Flurry-Come-Lately. They could survive the impact normally, but doing it while they're in what amounts to a dead magic zone may be asking a bit much."

"Oh." Trixie drooped. "Right."

Discord ruffled her mane, smirking all the while. "You see, the thing those of us who have any actual magical power have to learn is that our actions have consequences. Granted, enough power and you can sidestep a lot of those consequences, but reassembling ponies after a meteor strike? I’d really rather not go through the trouble."

"Wait up, you two!"

Discord and Trixie both started and looked behind them, to where Starlight was attending to a wide-eyed Thorax. "Are you okay?" Starlight asked him.

He stared at Discord, his face a portrait of naked horror. "You… you really could’ve done that at any time?"

“Hmm?" Discord gasped in comprehension. "Oh! Yes, the gruesome deaths of all your friends and loved ones. Wait, no, most of them live in the Crystal Empire. All your acquaintances and hatchmates. Doesn’t have quite the same ring to it, does it?"

Starlight scowled at him. "Discord, this is serious."

"It wasn't already?" Discord turned back to Thorax. "You shouldn't be so concerned. Normally, I wouldn’t bother. Death is so final. The only change that come after that is decomposition, and all that’s good for is gross-out humor. Not my usual style. Besides, effort." He stuck his tongue out. "All the calculations, actually having to find the right hunk of space rock instead of just making one, getting the angle just right... No, I'd only do it if it were truly important, and I refuse to dignify Chrysalis with any kind of actual exertion of my will, as though she were a threat."

"I thought you were holding back because the yellow one was in there," said Trixie.

Discord shrugged. "Spirit of Chaos. You really expect me to be consistent?"

"You're a consistent pain in my flank."

"Spirit of Disharmony as well."

Starlight rolled her eyes. Thorax looked back and forth between the bickerers. "You really think we can do this?"

"We're Equestria's last hope. It doesn't matter whether we can do this; we need to." Starlight sighed. "That's what I keep telling myself, anyway."

Author's Note:

Just a little thought exercise. It also handily explains why Discord didn't turn Chrysalis into literal cheese at the end; that would be admitting she was a threat rather than a nuisance.

PreviousChapters Next