• Published 1st Jun 2014
  • 1,868 Views, 110 Comments

The World Is Her Oyster - DraconequusMaximus



Pearl is five years old now and can't sit still for anything. She's the pride and joy of Spike and Macintosh, and all of Ponyville loves her. Join her and her family as she starts school and starts on her way through life.

  • ...
30
 110
 1,868

Epilogue Part 2 - One Hundred And One Years From Now

Pearl, master surgeon, head Royal Physician, princess, and widow. She walked alone through a field, knowing perfectly well where she was going. Pearl didn't even need to think about her route, which was good considering there were other things occupying her attention.

The sky was bleak and gray, something Skyla always did when she was sad. Or at least that's what Pearl thought. Despite having known Skyla for all of their lives, Pearl wasn't sure if Skyla was one with the weather, or if she merely controlled the weather.

Either way, Skyla knew what today was. Everyone knew what today was, all across the nation. Not one pony, changeling, or other creature was to cause a fuss over anything today unless it was a dire emergency. Today was the thirty-first of August, which had been christened remembrance day over fifty years ago.

Today was the day for remembering heroes of the past, and all of the loved ones no longer with us. In the field beyond the Apple family property Pearl's father owned and her cousins farmed, there was a series of monuments built to honor each and every member of the family that had become known simply as The Equestrians by the people.

The field was now known as The Field of Memories, and defacing anything in it was a felony topped only by the most heinous of crimes. Even trespassing on any day other than Remembrance Day was enough to get someone fined. Only family had year-round rights to enter, though there were no fences or anything else to keep people out.

Other than the knowledge of how powerful, big, and well connected the family of Equestria who considered the place sacred was of course.

Once arriving, Pearl saw a familiar mass of purple instantly recognizable as her father. There were many figures of other colors near him, meaning Pearl was likely the last to arrive as usual. She had never a morning person, and had to ingest quite a lot of caffeine before really waking up. Pearl cursed herself under her breath and walked faster to meet up with them.

The others noticed her arrival, turning silently to see her coming.

Her father Spike, her grandmother Celestia, her cousins Screwball, Skyla, Dusk, and Dawn, her uncle Discord, and her aunts Luna, Chrysalis, and the three eldest of their children.

Luna and Chrysalis's children were beautiful pony-changeling hybrids you'd almost think were just ponies in armor, gifted with spiral horns and insect wings. The holes that riddled a pure-blooded changeling's body weren't part of their anatomy, but as it turned out the hybrids had to be carried for eleven months just like an ordinary foal. Still, that didn't stop the two of them. Pearl could see a healthy curve in Chrysalis's belly, and Luna wouldn't venture more than a few feet away from her beloved.

Everyone had an expression full of emotions, happiness at seeing Pearl, sadness from the day, and nostalgia brought on by the monuments. It was a bittersweet experience, which Pearl compared to dark chocolate after her many happy years married to a candy-maker.

"Hey, there's daddy's little girl." Spike greeted, trying to hide the melancholy in his tone.

Pearl made sure she was a fair distance away from anything before letting the facade restricting her size burn away in blue-green flames.

Out of the fire stepped a full-sized Pearl, in all her beauty. Had the sun been out her white scales would have seemed to almost glow. Pearl was now the size of a large house, though since taking up residence in Canterlot she rarely let it show. It felt good to be able to stretch, but being a doctor meant she needed to be where there were patients.

Pearl was a bit dismayed that she was still dwarfed in size by her father, but his growth spurts seemed more effective than slow and steady like Pearl's own growth rate. Spike was as tall as a grain silo on his back legs, and as wide as at least two. Even other dragons would be wise to be wary of Pearl's father.

"Guess little girl is kinda relative. But it's good to see you Dad." Pearl responded.

After receiving what was probably the biggest hug ever, Pearl and everyone else set out to do a round at each monument. They broke into groups, and as every year before the groups would do their own lap in whatever order they always did. There was never any trouble, as everything was coordinated so everyone would have their own time with each monument. The schedule had been devised by a very smart alicorn some time ago.

Spike, Pearl, and Celestia's first stop was at a very large apple tree. Despite having been planted only a handful of decades ago, the tree was heartier and stronger than any other tree in Equestria. Spike had planted the tree himself, and tended it often. Pearl had taught her father a bit about magic, and Spike had made sure the tree was never ill, and thanks to his powerful influence it was never bare of fruit. The Apple family were the only ones allowed to tend it or eat the apples besides Spike, who was the only one allowed to pick from the tree to ensure it's continued health.

A whole grove of trees planted from the seeds of it's fruit existed, or at least that many trees. It was a little hard to be certain, since they were scattered across Equestria on every Apple family farm. It's been said they produce the biggest and sweetest apples anyone had ever had. Macintosh would have loved to see such a tree, and Spike liked to think that he could see it.

Spike stopped and showed Mac how big their little girl had gotten, and Celestia told Mac of her genealogy project, seeing just how far the Apple family roots went and how far they had already spread. Pearl told her Pa about a foal she had treated that had looked just like cousin Babs, and then they all ate one of the apples from the tree.

The next stop was a series of five crystals jutting up out of the ground in a row, a good six feet apart from one another. Aside from the element of magic, this was the area for the elements of harmony who had been so important to Equestria, and to it's ponies.

The first was a rounded yellow crystal with three pink and blue, life-like butterflies inside it. A vine of some sort had grown around it, with small pink blossoms growing all along it. It had likely been left to grow on purpose, as testament to Fluttershy's love of nature. In front of it, a bouquet of poison joke flowers and a stuffed bunny had been placed by Discord and Screwball.

The next crystal was in the shape of a lightning bolt, striking it's way into the ground. It was composed of three different colors, blue, yellow, and red, and a cloud was magically preserved atop it. Inside the crystal, if one were to look hard enough was a pair of flight goggles. It still wasn't quite as awesome as people would have liked, everyone who saw it knew it needed to be at least twenty percent cooler. A bottle of Sweet Apple Acres Famous Cider was placed in front of it by Spike, as it had always been Rainbow's beverage of choice.

The next in line was a simple orange crystal, rough and uncut. Very natural. Inside it was a trio of red apples, but not real apples as it would have been a waste of perfectly good food. A worn out stetson was placed atop of it, secured and preserved for all time. As per Applejack's will, nothing was left in front of it. She had said: It ain't sensible to leave me somethin' Ah can't use. Keep yer goodies.

The next crystal was pink, and had been sculpted into the shape of a ridiculously large birthday cake. Three balloons loomed in the air above the crystal, bobbing however they pleased without being blown away, a seemingly impossible feat. A cupcake had been sat in front of it, purchased from Sugarcube Corner which was still run by the cake family's descendants. Pinkie Pie would have no doubt been thankful for it,

The last was an elegant slab of snow-white quartz, inlaid with three large diamonds with dark-violet borders around each of them. It wasn't flashy, it wasn't boring, and it was timeless. Rarity had designed it herself of course, years ahead of her time. At the foot the stone Spike placed a copy of the most recent fashion magazine, telling everyone what the hottest look in Canterlot was going to be in the coming winter.

Everyone took their turns talking to each of them, telling them all about the good things that had happened in the last year, and the not so good things. Inevitably, there was talk of how much they were missed and how much they were still loved. While doing so hurt in the now, everyone would feel lighter in the long run.

Twilight and Trixie had a separate monument to themselves. A large mosaic mural, crafted by Dusk and Dawn themselves. It showcased their loving mothers' entire history together. Every major event from Trixie's first show in Ponyville to their end as old, happy mares. In the center was a recreation of the jewel that was the element of magic, bordered in silver star-wands.

It was quite a large piece, with many artists having asked permission to come view it. It had taken the twins several years to complete, but it had been well worth it to create a fitting memorial. It was currently considered one of the most feeling-provoking works in the art world, with photographs of the mosaic available for viewing in most museums.

Spike, Pearl, and Celestia all cried heavily as they talked to the most magical couple to ever live, the loss being the freshest in their minds. Twilight and Trixie had been gifted with great magic, and just like Starswirl The Bearded, lived to ripe old ages. Celestia placed flowers on the memorial, as did Spike and Pearl in turn.

Cadence and Shining Armor, being Equestrian natives had monuments here as well even though they had spent the greatest portion of their shared life in the empire, now ruled by their daughter Skyla.

Their memorial was a replica crystal heart, encased in a luminous magenta sphere. Within the sphere, the crystal heart replica spun slowly, even though it wasn't attached to anything. Each time the heart spun, a different image of the couple could be seen on the surface of the sphere. It was crafted by the ponies of the empire who had crafted it also made another just like it for the future ponies of the empire to see.

Pearl left a crystallized rose in a small vase at the base of the monument, and Spike placed a corn-dog on the side opposite it. Even Celestia had to admit that made a fitting offering, and a spot-on parallel. Spike told Shining about the team that had one the last hoof-bowl, while Celestia and Pearl told Cadence all about a new series of romance novels taking the country by storm. To their surprise Spike had a bit to say about those too.

After that, they stopped a moment to leave flowers at a plaque dedicated to the founding members of the CMC.

The plaque was there because the Crusader's memorial was the only one not in the field itself.

The statue of Scootaloo, Sweetie Belle, and Apple Bloom as blank-flank fillies stood outside the CMC National Headquarters in Ponyville. It was now an agency that gave fillies and colts help discovering their talents by providing them with a local young-teen filly or colt big-brother or big-sister that had already gotten their mark. Their successes were already close to five million in total, and it was currently the fastest growing non-profit organization in the country.

The group then visited a tall wall of obsidian, where the name of every changeling that had passed away was magically recorded by Chrysalis herself from memory. There were official records too of course, but a mother never forgets her children. There were a number of toys, candies, and other things that the changelings had enjoyed in life left by Luna, Chrysalis, and their children.

The very last stop for Pearl's group was definitely the most humble of all of the monuments. A large, but simple headstone of grey rock, with a polished stone embedded in the front that looked like a peppermint candy with a pink heart in the center. It was average compared to all the other monuments, but still very special.

Spike and Celestia stayed back a bit from the stone, giving Pearl her time.

Pearl shrank herself down in a flash of her fire magic, just so she could touch the stone without harming it. She placed her claw on top of it, tracing the top with the back of her hand. Almost as if Cinnamint were there himself, and she was brushing his mane out of his face as she used to do.

"Oh Minty, I still love you so freaking much it hurts. It's been almost thirty years since you've been gone, but I swear I can still hear you talking to me sometimes. We all miss you. I sent some kids to culinary school on your scholarship again too. Qualifier meal was lasagna made completely from scratch, the first thing we ever ate together. People say it's weird I still remember being five, but I think it's a dragon thing because we live so long."

Pearl had to stop for a second, wondering if she should apologize for talking about longevity in the situation. After some short-lived internal debate she thought Cinnamint wouldn't mind, since he knew exactly what would eventually happen after they said their I do's.

"Anyway, I know we tried for kids for awhile, but we just weren't compatible I guess. I dunno if it's biology, or instinct, but, I can't stop thinking about being a mother. I treat foals all the time and I can't help but feel like I need a foal too when I look at them, and it's been hard living without someone to love constantly. But, with the species barrier and time being a factor...

"I thought I might try and take a trip to the dragon lands for... a donor? I guess? We wouldn't do anything... intimate, but I imagine I can get a dragon to do just about anything for enough loot. Gonna be a hella awkward conversation though. It sounds really dumb when I say it out loud too.

"I dunno if I'll actually go through with it. The idea kinda grosses me out, because he wouldn't be you, but nobody else can be you. You were the world's greatest anomaly, a one-time only, one-of-a-kind wonder. So much special inside one little pony. It's a wonder you didn't explode and create a mushroom-cloud that spread free candy all over the world."

Upon mentioning candy, Pearl remembered that she had brought something special. Pearl held her claw out with her pointer finger up, which meant one minute to those with hands. Pearl was confident Cinnamint remembered that.

Pearl lifted her wing, and from under it she took a small parcel. It was a plastic bag of a pink color, bound at the top by a red ribbon. Inside were a number of candies, each one painstakingly wrapped by hand. Each and every one of them looked like the stone representation of Cinnamint's cutie mark.

"Can't believe I almost forgot. It's taken me literally like, a century, but I finally got the hang of making these little beauties. Mint outside, cinnamon inside, Cinnamint's cinnamints. Warm, and refreshing at the same time. Just like you always were."

Pearl opened the bag after undoing the ribbon, then took two of the candies out. She unwrapped one for herself, and popped it in her mouth. The other she placed atop Cinnamint's tombstone, smiling even as the tears fell. They tasted exactly as she remembered them, but they still weren't as good as they once were.

"Nobody makes candy by hoof nowadays, you know? If I do have a kid, I'm gonna teach them to do it just like you taught me. Maybe even how to make lasagna eventually. Even if you aren't here with me, that kid's gonna be yours too. You influenced my life in so many ways Minty, so it'd be like you helped raise the kid with me." Pearl said sincerely.

Pearl looked at the stone, almost hoping it would say something in response. Even though it had never answered any other questions in the last three decades. This matter was infinitely more important however, and Pearl wouldn't take council on it from anyone other than Cinnamint. She was still his mare, even if he was six feet under and she was a dragoness instead of a pony.

Pearl leaned in and touched her forehead to the stone, an act she couldn't really explain why she thought it would help. Nonetheless, it was what felt right. The situation called for a bit of gut-feeling and a lot of praying to a higher power Pearl had never felt the need to speak with until now.

"If you can hear me blubbering up there talk it over with Pa and your folks, then send me some kind of sign okay, Cinnamint? I need to know I'm not gonna make some kind of huge mistake if I go through with this. Okay? Something small even, subtlety is good." Pearl pleaded.

Across the field, Skyla was viewing the memorial to her parents, but not crying. She had long since learned how to withhold her tears, otherwise it would rain in the immediate vicinity. Skyla instead tried to focus on all the happy memories. She remembered every holiday with her parents, every one of their birthdays, the family vacations, and it all made her feel just a bit better inside.

The small ray of happiness she had created penetrated Skyla's depressed mood, and the sky responded to her feelings in kind.

The thin blanket of gray clouds in the area were parted a bit, letting a small ray of sunshine through. The sunbeam landed squarely on Pearl and Cinnamint's headstone, causing her to look up in surprise. Pearl was quite speechless to be honest, but a smile soon found it's way to her face.

"That's my guy. Always comes through for me." Pearl smirked.

Once Pearl had wiped her eyes enough, she tucked the bag of candies away again safely under her wing. Pearl told Cinnamint she loved him, even though it was certain he knew that. Then she kissed the stone at the top, imagining it was Cinnamint's cheek. Even in his later years, cheek kisses had always been Cinnamint's melting point.

Pearl then turned and headed back to her father and grandmother, who were waiting patiently. They were a little surprised to see Pearl smiling, as normally she would sulk a bit until they all went out for drinks. Pearl somehow seemed as happy as could be, even though it was evident she had been crying until just a moment ago.

"Are you okay, Pearl? You seem... too happy?" Celestia wondered.

Pearl chuckled a bit, and sniffled as an after-effect of the crying.

"Yeah, I think I'm better than I've have been in ages." Pearl responded with a nod, "But Daddy, I think I need to ask you a favor."

Spike looked at his daughter uncertainly, but didn't want to dismiss whatever she was so happy about.

"Anything for my little girl." Spike affirmed.

Pearl smiled even wider, having hoped for that response.

"How would you like to come on a trip to the homeland with me? It's a dangerous place and I could use some muscle."

Author's Note:

Not a hundred percent how I feel about this. I tried to pay respects to everybody, so I'm sorry if I forgot anyone. A lot of people wanted Pearl and Cinnamint to have kids, but I couldn't write a whole sequel for that. I just don't have any more ideas for this universe of stories.

I ended it the way I did because I've already created way more OC characters than I wanted to. This way, it's bittersweet but not overpoweringly sad. Everyone who passed away is loved, and remembered. Never will anyone in the family forget even one of the ponies in the field.

Cinnamint's tombstone was relatively ordinary because that's how he wanted it to be. Pearl was all the extravagance he ever needed out of life.

And I cried while writing this chapter. Not ashamed to admit it. I'm a large 21 year old man, and more than once did I have to stop and wipe my eyes. Now I'm gonna continue My Shining Love which has around... 5 chapters left? 5 sounds about right. Depends on word-count really. So give or take a chapter.

Comments ( 10 )

Thank you, Thank you so much i don't care what anybody else says (don't worry i think they will understand as well) but i think this is a perfect ending. I cant tell you how much i enjoyed reading this story more than anything else really thank you.

P.S don't worry i'm a 19 year old guy and i cried i know i'm younger but i still usually don't cry, thank you again for making this.

Dear sir,

I want to say a few things here. Firstly, thank you. Thank you for these stories. Thank you for turning an unlikely couple into a fantastic love and slice of life story. Secondly, as a 21 year old, closeted brony and bisexual who has written a romance trilogy where one of the love intrests dies, I admit, for me, it was hard. Not because of typing it up, but for killing a character that feels so real that I couldn't but feel guilty for doing so. I even felt sorry for what I had to put my main character through in the last chapter of Symphony of Life. But at the same time, it was nessisary, for we both know that even when your Mac and my Color Spectrum may have died, they would still be loved by our charcters, and as we both hope, from readers in the future. Your story, while not perfect, is in my opinion timeless. And to quote the dying words of one of my characters, "Our art, our good art, will never die."

And thirdly, happy Valentine's day dude.:eeyup:

From your follower, fellow writer, and empathetic brony,

-CrackedInkWell.

This was a beautiful story to read. Thanks so much for writing this.

Don't feel bad for writing this final chapter. It was absolutely beautiful. Everything was respectfully set-up, and the emotions were perfect. Brought a little tear to my eye. :heart:

Thank you for writing this great story! It's been a fun ride. :moustache: Can't wait to see the last five chapters of My Shining Love, as well as what you do next!

You made me cry bro,

You have committed an act that hasn't been completed in ten years

But hey, it was a nice story, and you leave plenty of a loose end for another one

Bravo

Don't be ashamed of tears. No matter what your age is. I am a 25 year old guy and this broke my heart to read, but it was worth every second. The breaking began when I read about Big Mac, as he is, and always will be, my favourite character. :raritycry: I have never read anything so emotionally, heart-renderingly wonderful in my life. And trust me, I love to read emotional stuff.

Bravo, good sir. Bravo.:heart:

*sniffle*

Amazing, truly spectacular, it was laid out perfectly and brought tears to me eyes thinking back to when I first found your story Bigger than Mac, I started reading so many months ago. Now I'm here at the end of the trilogy replaying all of the emotions that this story has provoked. It seems to me that i can remember like it was just a few minutes ago when I read that first chapter and Mac asked Spike out. The only word that can possibly think of describing this trilogy is ' '. Nothing. Words cannot describe it.
I will never forget this story in the years to come in my life, I promise you I will always remember it.

It's been a while, but longevity endings always get my stomach churning with the feels.

Well done, you played it beautifully.

Ok I've read it from begining to end, it's my number 1. I cryed, I laughed, I loved it. I can't even right now. :raritycry:

Damn you feels!:raritycry:

But I won't cry, not while I'm in public.

Login or register to comment