• Published 1st Jun 2014
  • 1,867 Views, 110 Comments

The World Is Her Oyster - DraconequusMaximus



Pearl is five years old now and can't sit still for anything. She's the pride and joy of Spike and Macintosh, and all of Ponyville loves her. Join her and her family as she starts school and starts on her way through life.

  • ...
30
 110
 1,867

Birthday

Today was a big day for a little dragon, Pearl the daughter of Spike and Macintosh Apple is turning five years old. As tradition in her family all dragons received feasts instead of regular parties to avoid incidents. Her parents were in the kitchen of their home putting the finishing touches on the cake while her Aunt Twilight welcomed the guests. Her Aunt Trixie was currently watching over her and her cousin Skyla.

Skyla is the four year old princess of the Crystal Empire who also happens to be the first natural born alicorn in around four-thousand years. She looks like a much smaller version of her mother in nearly every way. She doesn't yet have the best social skills and prefers to play by herself most of the time. She loved all of her family dearly however and would never miss the opportunity to hang out with her cousin.

Pearl was coloring in an activity book, while Skyla was brushing the mane of one of her dolls. The pair were silently doing their own activities when Pearl was assaulted by a neon pink blur. Pearl opened her eyes to find herself on her back being pinned by a happy and seemingly insane filly with spiral eyes.

"Hey Screwball." Pearl chuckled, she was already accustomed to the filly's antics.

Screwball is the child of Discord and Fluttershy, and is only a year younger than Pearl. Nearly everypony was surprised when Discord popped the question to Fluttershy and more so when the pair informed them that they discovered Fluttershy was several weeks along shortly after Pearl was born. Even Screwball's parents were surprised to see she was an earth pony but seemed to possess many of Discord's powers. Skyla and Screwball's birthdays were only twelve days apart with Skyla being the older of the two.

"Happy Birthday Pearl! Mommy helped me make you a jello for your birthday! It's got gems in it~" The filly said excitedly as she lifted herself off of her cousin. She lifted her beanie from her head and pulled the aforementioned dessert from it in total disregard for the laws of physics.

The delicious blob was a deep red that jiggled as the hyperactive filly held it in her hooves. She stood on her hind legs like it was natural, something Skyla was a little weirded out by but decided to ignore.

"Ooo cherry flavor, my favorite." Pearl said excitedly.

"I'll take that to the kitchen for you Screwball." Trixie said as she grasped it in her magic. She trotted off leaving the girls to themselves for the moment.

The girls played amongst themselves and waved to their extended family as they passed them by. Screwball pulled a game of Candy Land from her hat that they could all play together. Screwball had to promise not to use magic to win but otherwise everything went fine. Skyla stayed mostly silent however, Screwball's bottomless energy reserves and complete disregard for personal space got to her sometimes.

After two rounds of the game being won by Screwball and Pearl respectively their parents arrived to take them to the table. Pearl got to sit at the head of the table as it was her special day. She was overjoyed to see her whole family in one place, due to most of her family being very important ponies it was a rare occurrence.

It was quite the crowd too, it was fortunate the house was dragon sized. Her Grandma Celestia and Great Aunt Luna were seated between Spike and Macintosh and Trixie and Twilight. Twilight had asked Trixie to marry her three years ago after the couple had already lived together for two. They were currently thinking about foals of their own.

Rarity, Rainbow Dash, Pinkie Pie, and Applejack had still yet to find special someponies and were seated together with the all four of the former CMC. The group had received their marks years ago but still were very close friends. Discord, Fluttershy, and Screwball occupied the other side of the immense table along with Shining Armor, Cadence, and Skyla.

After making certain everything was on the table and that everyone had something to drink Spike tapped his glass with his spoon to gain everyone's attention. The smalltalk ceased as everyone looked to the adolescent dragon.

"Thank you all for being here for Pearl's fifth birthday dinner. As usual we're going to eat first and then we'll give Pearl her presents after dessert and the birthday song. So let's eat, drink, and be merry." Spike said to all present, signaling them to dig in.

Everypony attending brought a dish to add to the menu, ensuring that there would be enough food for the group. The less experienced cooks (Twilight and Rainbow Dash) were allowed to buy their contributions and the royals were allowed to have their chefs make their contributions since they had less free time.

Despite having such a massive quantity of food it disappeared rather quickly. Mostly due to Spike, Discord, Screwball, and Pinkie Pie's incredible appetites. Everyone still managed to stuff themselves well but had left room for the dessert course that was yet to come. After a few moments the empty dishes and pans had been swapped for sweets of all shapes and sizes.

Pinkie Pie brought cupcakes, some normal and some gem flavored for the birthday girl and her father. Screwball's jello was also there next to some apple pies donated by Applejack and Apple Bloom. Rarity had brought a large tray of chocolate cookies and Luna a heavenly smelling bread pudding she had actually taken the time to make herself.

The centerpiece of the dessert show was of course the birthday cake. It stood twice as tall as Pearl and was comprised of three tiers. Each tier was a different kind of chocolate, white chocolate on top, milk chocolate in the middle, and dark chocolate on the bottom. The whole thing was iced beautifully in a pure snow white. Along the midsection of each tier ran a network of green vines with pink roses blooming from them. It had taken some time to make but Spike and Macintosh wanted everything to be perfect.

The group began singing as Spike lit the candle. It was too delicate a task to use his breath on so he balled his claws into a fist around his thumb and pulled it back out quickly producing a small noise that sounded like an actual lighter accompanied by a few sparks. He repeated this several times until his thumb was alight with a small green fire. It was just something he discovered he could do while he was unable to use his breath while Pearl had been in his flame chamber. He lit the large wax candle shaped like a number five and blew the flame on his thumb out.

As the song drew to a close Spike lifted his little girl to the top of the cake.

"Now make a wish an' blow out the candle." Macintosh said to her as he held a camera up to his face.

Pearl happily complied and thought for a moment before extinguishing the candle with one good breath. Macintosh clicked the button on the camera at just the right time, capturing the moment. Spike placed Pearl back into her seat before returning to his own. Pearl got the first slice of course, followed by Celestia who had been making a tremendous effort not to drool in public.

After everyone had their desserts Spike cleared the table once more to make room for Pearl to open her presents. Originally Spike and Macintosh had planned to give her one gift a year but decided that in addition to her parent's gift two other names would be drawn from a hat to be allowed to get her something. Those names would be taken out of the hat the next year so everyone would eventually have a turn. Pearl was grateful, she was always envious of others getting more presents than her, even if it was for her own good.

"Okay everypony this first gift is from Rarity who was one of this years surprise gift givers." Spike said loud enough for the group to hear as he placed a thin rectangular box in front of his daughter.

Despite the box being beautifully wrapped Pearl tore right through the wrapping paper and ribbon to get to her prize. She lifted the box's lid and held up a pink hoodie that was just her size. She squeed in delight, for some reason Pearl had always preferred clothes to going nude unlike most creatures in Equestria. However her wings, spines, and general build had always made it somewhat of a hassle to find anything for her.

"It's made from a new material my good friend Coco invented, it won't rip or tear unless you use special scissors and is entirely fireproof. I bought a fair amount of it so I can make you more clothes if you decide you like it." Rarity explained to the overjoyed hatchling.

Pearl struggled to get it on for a few moments before succeeding. It was an almost perfect fit and even had holes her wings could go through easily enough. She moved around in it and flapped her wings experimentally. She looked absolutely adorable. Macintosh snapped another photograph, this was definitely one for the album.

"It's great! I want one for every day of the week!" Pearl exclaimed happily as she tried cutting it with a claw. Just as her Aunt had claimed it didn't harm the garment whatsoever.

"Just hoodies?" Rarity asked somewhat disappointed.

"Yup this is great, and it's my favorite color too!" She replied. She was so happy her wings were flapping a bit.

"You mean you want them all to be pink? I have several other colors to choose from." Rarity asked hoping for something that gave her just a bit of creative license.

"Pink is my favorite, so I think just pink will be okay. Thank you Aunty Rarity!" Pearl answered completely oblivious to the slight pout the mare wore. Applejack patted her on the back to try and cheer her up.

Macintosh cleared away the debris that was once the hoodie's container in preparation for the next present. Twilight lifted a small round metal container from beside her and placed it in front of Pearl much to everypony's confusion. Everypony looked to Twilight for an explanation.

"Twi, this looks nothing like what you described to us in the letter. Should I be worried?" Spike asked.

"All she needs to do is open it by twisting the top off of the canister. I couldn't find any wrapping paper so I put it in there." Twilight replied. Spike looked at her suspiciously but decided to trust his adoptive sister and best friend's word.

Pearl took that as her cue and twisted the top of the cylinder and looked inside. Nopony else could see whatever it was and Pearl herself seemed uncertain. She turned it upside down and tapped it on it's bottom like a ketchup bottle. To everypony's surprise a cylinder of something brown with red stripes slowly fell out of the container and made a distinct splat on the table. Pearl poked it experimentally and it wiggled in response.

"Twilight you said you were giving her a cat! How is this a cat?!" Spike whispered as loud as he could to his sister.

"I said it was like a cat. Just give it a minute." Twilight said as if this were perfectly normal.

Sure enough the mass of... something began quivering and soon took the shape of a cat with a soft pop. It was a deep brown color with red stripes. It was definitely a cat, but unlike any cat anyone had ever seen before. It was plump to the point of being almost a blob and it's legs were little more than nubs.

"Twilight, what the hay did you do to that cat?" Spike asked now very worried.

"It's not a cat, I made it in my lab. I was trying to create an organism that could survive in deep space to collect information on other worlds no matter what the environment. Or I was, until Trixie dropped a peanut butter sandwich into the mix while I was in the bathroom." Twilight responded with some underlying annoyance.

"It was nuttella." Trixie corrected.

"Well either way it didn't belong in my experiment." Twilight replied.

"So why does it look like a cat? What do cats have to do with space?" Luna asked in confusion, after all that was sort of her department.

"Nothing, but I wanted it to look friendly instead of just being a blob and cats have great mobility. Or they would if they weren't made of sandwich spread. It may not be able to perform the tasks I wanted, but it should make a wonderful pet. It only needs solar radiation and heat to survive, and it can handle just about anything on earth without being destroyed." Twilight explained.

Pearl looked the somewhat blob-like creature over and petted it cautiously. It responded like a cat normally would with a soft purr. Pearl picked the little scientific abomination up and hugged it lovingly.

"I like him! He's like a peach, sorta squishy with fuzz all over. Plus he smells sorta like chocolate!" The birthday girl exclaimed happily.

Spike and Macintosh looked at each other uncertainly before turning back to Twilight.

"It's perfectly safe right?" Macintosh asked.

"Yes, I reprogrammed it to behave exactly like a cat instead of a living probe. It's supposed to act calm and loving and never harm any living thing. Plus it doesn't produce any waste so you don't need to clean up after it!" Twilight said proudly. It may not have turned out exactly how she wanted it but creating life was still a pretty big accomplishment.

"You should call him Cob, cat-blob." Screwball told Pearl with her hooves, one representing "cat" and the other "blob" she then proceeded to mash them together. Most likely to try and prove her point or because she thought it'd be fun.

Pearl held the bizarre feline imitation out in front of herself at eye level. She looked into it's pure white eyes, they reminded her of her own unique eyes somehow.

"Do you like that name? Cob?" She asked.

"Mow" Was her reply. It could have meant anything but the five year old interpreted it as yes and resumed hugging it. Cob swelled a bit at the top end while his rear end deflated somewhat. When Pearl loosened her grip his proportions returned to normal with a sound like someone rubbing the surface of a balloon.

"Well, we did want to get her a pet. Ah suppose it's alright so long as it ain't got any claws or nothin." Macintosh relented as he watched his daughter snuggle the amorphous cat-like creature that purred softly.

"Twilight, I commend you on your scientific achievement but please don't try to play Faust again. The last thing we need is a bunch of immortal blobs running around Equestria." Celestia pleaded.

"Trust me, I won't." Twilight swore with her hoof to her heart.

"Well I think it's adorable, even if it was made in a lab it's still a loveable little critter." Fluttershy added as she looked at the strange creature.

Pearl set Cob on the floor beside her so she could watch it walk. It's little stubby legs didn't move very fast but it was pretty cute to watch. It made it's way across the room, stopping directly beneath the nearest window. Normally cats are excellent jumpers, Cob however is not actually a cat. Instead of performing a daring feat of feline agility and power it started walking against the wall for the next minute. Eventually it stopped and stretched itself onto it's back legs with it's front on the wall. It began inching it's way up the wall like a slug or a caterpillar until it stopped in the windowsill.

"He's so talented!" Pearl said happily as she watched Cob settle in for a nap in the fading late afternoon sunlight.

"Yeah, talented is totally the right word." Rainbow said sarcastically. Pearl being only five years old luckily didn't yet have a grasp on the concept of sarcasm.

"Ah dunno, little feller's kinda cute... just so long as I don't have t' touch it or nothin." Applejack said trying to be optimistic.

Several ponies nodded their agreement and let the sleeping "cat" lie. Spike pulled the last present out from under the table beside him and gave it to Pearl. It was a fairly large box wrapped in white paper and teal ribbons, clearly decorated with her in mind.

"This one's from us sweetie." Spike told her as she began tearing through the paper.

Pearl lifted the lid off of the box to reveal a pink messenger bag the perfect size for her. It was obviously well made, and on the front of it was her name in fancy silver lettering. She lifted the top flap to find it only had one large pocket at the top and a netted pocket with elastic over the top, presumably for folders and such.

"It's fer school an' anythin else really. It's a bottomless bag, ya put whatever ya need to carry in the big pocket an' it never gets full or heavy. We had it made just fer you. Ah'm sure yer gonna get plenty a' use out of it what with school startin in a week." Macintosh explained.

"Also there's already something in the bag that we wanna give you." Spike added.

Pearl unzipped the bag and looked in finding nothing but darkness. She reached in to try and feel the bottom but found nothing. Before she could ask about whatever was supposed to be in the bag her claw brushed up against something that hadn't seemed to be there before. She pulled the mysterious object out and found it to be a large drawstring pouch filled nearly to bursting.

She opened the pouch to find a large assortment of the treasured jewels she had been named after. She had never seen authentic pearls before, they were somewhat hard to find in Equestria. Pearl had always wondered about them, but never imagined they would be so pretty. She took one in her claws and held it, marveling at it's near perfect smoothness and beautiful shine.

"There are lots of Pearls in the world, but we don't need any besides you. These are to do whatever you want with eat them, save them, whatever you like. All you need to know is that we love our Pearl more than anything, happy birthday." Spike said softly, but loudly enough for the others to hear.

"I love you Daddy, and you too Pa." Pearl said happily as she placed the pearls back into the bag

Pearl jumped onto Macintosh's back and hugged him tight from there. Spike hugged the both of them, as Pearl wasn't big enough to put her arms around both of them even if Spike shrank himself as far as he could. Everypony in the room aww'd at the scene, even Rainbow Dash who wasn't one for mushy stuff. The trio silently enjoyed the closeness for a couple minutes before returning their attention to the others.

After the presents were opened the adults and children broke off again. Celestia and Luna said their goodbyes early as they still had business to attend to but promised to visit soon. The adults talked about their lives while Pearl showed off her gifts to her cousins. Skyla marveled at the bottomless bag, but Screwball didn't think it was much of a big deal considering she does the same sort of thing with her beanie all the time. Next Pearl brought Cob down from the window, flying back down to the girls with him in her arms.

"You guys wanna pet him? He's all fuzzy and warm." She demonstrated by petting him softly producing another round of purrs.

Screwball eagerly petted the artificial cat still in Pearl's arms. She even rubbed right behind it's ears and got it to where it was purring very loudly. Screwball was very good at caring for animals thanks to her mother's influence. Pearl tried to hand it to Skyla but the filly backed up a step.

"What's wrong Skyla? Cob won't hurt you, Aunty Twilight made him. She wouldn't make something that'd hurt somebody." Pearl reasoned.

Skyla thought about it for a moment. Aunty Twilight is super nice and super smart, if she made Cob then I guess it's alright.

"Okay, I'll pet him." Skyla stretched her hoof out and petted Cob who resumed purring before turning in Pearl's arms so that his belly was facing upward.

Skyla rubbed his belly causing his happy noises to increase in volume. In addition his tiny legs wiggled as he enjoyed the attention. Skyla giggled as she watched the little stubs move, surprising Screwball greatly. Skyla was always so quiet, even quieter than her mother.

A few more hours passed and Cob fell asleep on the sofa, leaving the girls to entertain themselves with something else. That something was the large television in the living room where Spike put in a movie for them to watch. Screwball made popcorn for them somehow and they sat there contently talking about the movie until they fell asleep.

Macintosh, Spike, Discord, and Shining Armor came to retrieve their young ones as soon as soon as they heard the talk from the other room stop. Each took their own child, with Spike putting Pearl on Macintosh's back gently. Shining levitated Skyla onto his back and said his goodbyes. He and Cadence used their combined magic to teleport home soon after.

"So, I believe I heard mention of school just before you gave your daughter the sappiest gift ever?" Discord said quietly as he carried his daughter back to Fluttershy who was waiting by the door.

"Yeah, it's next week starting Monday. You thinking about putting Screwball in this year? You don't have to until age five, but I'm sure they'd be thrilled to go together." Spike whispered back.

"Eeyup." Macintosh added softly.

"I think it's a splendid idea, I'll have Fluttershy contact the school. Cheerilee is still mad that I turned her house into cheese to make Screwball laugh." Discord told them as he handed Screwball to her mother.

The parents went their separate ways and Macintosh and Spike put Pearl in her bed for the night. After the door was shut they entered their own room across the hall for the night. They slipped into bed and turned off the lights, they needed their rest to keep up with their precious Pearl.

Author's Note:

Next chapter will be more focused on Pearl, this is just sort of an intro chapter. Skyla will probably be back eventually and Screwball is obviously going to be a recurring character.

Next Chapter: School