• Published 1st Jun 2014
  • 1,863 Views, 110 Comments

The World Is Her Oyster - DraconequusMaximus



Pearl is five years old now and can't sit still for anything. She's the pride and joy of Spike and Macintosh, and all of Ponyville loves her. Join her and her family as she starts school and starts on her way through life.

  • ...
30
 110
 1,863

Baby Booming

Hospitals are a place most people try to avoid if at all possible. No matter what species you are, nearly every individual dislikes the idea of going to the hospital. The only reasons that a person will let themselves enter a hospital are normally: Emergency, ongoing treatments of chronic problems, surgery, visiting a loved one, working there, and of course the birth of children.

The waiting room of Ponyville General Hospital was packed with ponies, dragons, and a draconequus for that very reason. Today was the day Twilight Sparkle's child decided it should be born. Naturally, all of her loved ones had gathered to be there for the princess.

Twilight's parents and Trixie were in the delivery room with her, but the rest of the group was outside, waiting patiently. The other five members of the elements of harmony, Spike, Macintosh, Pearl, Screwball, Discord, Celestia, Luna, Shining Armor, Cadence, and Skyla were all there. Everyone was unusually silent, and all of them were on the edge of their seats as they eyed the delivery room doors.

Nopony took much notice when Lyra, Bon Bon, and Cinnamint arrived. Spike motioned for them to take a seat by himself and Macintosh, as he had been expecting them. He had hastily scrawled letters to everypony on his way out the door, sending them as magical ash that would seek their intended recipients.

While the adults stayed as still as statues the children quietly talked amongst themselves. Even though the situation was exciting neither Pearl nor Screwball would allow Cinnamint and Skyla to go unacquainted. The two had never gotten a chance to meet before now, even during the holidays as Cinnamint's family went to Vanhoover for Hearth's Warming.

Cinnamint took a seat next to Pearl who was talking to Skyla. Cinnamint knew it was impolite to stare, but he had never seen an alicorn smaller than himself before. He had met both of the royal sisters and Twilight before, but they all towered over him significantly. It was a strange thing to see the little filly with both wings and a horn.

Pearl got right to the introductions as soon as Cinnamint was seated, not wanting to waste time. Cinnamint took off his saddlebags and deposited them beside himself. Pearl directed his attention to Skyla once more.

"Cinnamint, this is my cousin Skyla. Skyla, this is Cinnamint." Pearl told the two of them.

"Uh, hi?" Skyla said awkwardly.

Skyla was still somewhat timid and didn't deal with new people well. She could barely handle Screwball's loud and visually striking feats of magic even though they had known each other since birth. She steeled her nerves however, if Pearl thought he was okay Cinnamint was probably trustworthy.

Cinnamint noticed she was kind of panicky and decided now would be a good time to show off his latest creation. He used his magic to open his saddlebags and pulled out a good sized plastic bag of what appeared to be individually wrapped gemstones. Pearl's attention was firmly glued to Cinnamint upon seeing the bag of dragon treats.

"Check this out. I made candy gems! The rubies are cherry, sapphires are blue raspberry, emeralds are sour apple, garnets are strawberry, amethysts are grape, and the diamonds are pina-colada." Cinnamint beamed with pride.

He passed the bag to each of the girls, offering them whichever they pleased. Pearl who was first took an emerald, Screwball took an amethyst, and Skyla took a garnet. Screwball and Pearl opened theirs with lightning speed, barely noticeable to the eyes of a pony. Screwball popped hers into her mouth without hesitation, thoroughly enjoying the hard candy.

Pearl however examined the sugary crystal with great interest. She held it up to the light and looked through it. It was actually an almost perfect likeness of a real gem. It was so similar to the real thing she held it in her claw and bit it in half like she would an ordinary jewel. The taste was totally different from an actual gem, but it was just as flavorful. She instantly made note to ask about more in the immediate future.

"This is really good Cinnamint. It's just as good as the real thing." Pearl praised through a mouthful of the dense sugary gem.

Cinnamint was about to reply, but a loud bang rang out from the delivery room. Everyone in the room jumped up from their seats, looking to the door with worry. Everything was utterly silent for what felt like an eternity, but the door slowly opened a few minutes later.

Trixie came out looking rather frazzled, and her mane seemed to be smoking lightly. She held an infant swaddled up in one of her fore-hooves, and to everypony's surprise Velvet, Twilight's mother came through a second later with another baby in her own fore-leg.

Both the infants were held so that everyone could see them. The twins were perfectly identical, both a pale mulberry color. Their manes were understandably messy, though they seemed to be mostly deep violet with white and pink streaks running through them. Horns were visible through their messy hair, as expected of the children of two of the most powerful mages in the world.

"Introducing Princess Dawn Glimmer." Trixie said proudly.

"And Prince Dusk Shine." Velvet finished, proud tears in the corners of her eyes.

Everyone awed at the newborns, almost forgetting the mystery explosion heard moments ago. However the smoking mane on Trixie's head reminded them soon after. Spike was the first one to speak up, worried his sister's magic had gotten out of control from the stress of childbirth.

"We all heard a pretty loud bang from the delivery room. Is Twilight okay?" He asked warily.

Trixie smiled and nodded that her wife was indeed fine, easing everyone's nerves a bit.

"Twilight is resting, it was these little angels that made the bang. Apparently they have a rare condition found only in twin unicorns. Their magics have totally opposite signatures and if they mix randomly, boom. It's normally not that serious, but these aren't your average foals." Trixie explained.

Both Trixie and Velvet unwrapped Dawn and Dusk to reveal the foals' backs. Both had tiny wings on their backs, making them alicorns. Luna barely managed to catch Celestia as she fell to the floor unconscious. The princess of the night handled it better, but was still absolutely giddy. Two more natural-born alicorns in addition to more foals to spoil, meaning today was a good day to be Luna.

"We knew we were getting twins, we just decided to keep it a surprise. We didn't know they were going to be alicorns or their genders though. They kept moving around every time Twilight had a sonogram." Trixie informed the assembled party of friends and family.

Everyone eventually got a turn to go and see the twins, and occasionally either Dusk or Dawn's horns would spark. Luckily they were far enough apart that it didn't create the violent reaction Trixie had described. Both the newborn foals awoke within a half hour of their meeting with their large extended family.

Both the twins had eyes a shade of purple just in-between that of both their mother's own. Dawn seemed to examine everything her little eyes could take in closely, while nearly everything seemed to frighten Dusk to the point of crying. The two already seemed very different from one another despite the striking resemblance they bore to each other.

Velvet's arm began to tire after awhile and Cadence offered to take from her. As soon as she had Dusk she looked back in front of her to see the children who had yet to meet the twins. Skyla was at the front of the group, apparently elected to be the representative of the group to ask permission to see the newborns.

Cadence gave the group a knowing nod and held Dusk so that they could see him. Despite Dusk's reaction to most he didn't appear to be afraid of the toddlers that were closer to him in size. Feeling more confident they took another step forward, getting a closer look at Dusk. Pearl looked upon him with wonder, having never seen a baby up close before.

Dusk stared at her with great interest, turning his head to the side a little in confusion. Pearl giggled as he put his little hoof on her nose, just in front of the small horn atop it. Dusk cooed at the sound of her laughter, causing her to smile even wider.

"Looks like someone is going to be good friends with their little cousin." A deep familiar voice said above the kids.

They all looked up to see Spike looking down at them. Dusk was frightened of the hulking figure, but Spike couldn't blame the boy. He had neglected to shrink himself in his haste, and hadn't thought to do so until now. Dawn hadn't feared him, and it had done wonders for his self-esteem to think a newborn foal wouldn't be scared of him.

Spike shrunk himself, a sad expression on his face. Despite knowing he belonged with the ponies he called family his heart ached when he saw ponies fear him. Trixie saw him and walked closer to the others, only after making certain Dawn wasn't having a magical flare-up.

"Spike, why don't you try and hold Dusk? He might make a fuss, but I think he'll warm up to you." Trixie told him.

Cadence passed Dusk over to Spike, who was being more careful than he had been since he had carried Pearl's egg within himself. Dusk weighed what felt like nothing to him, making it somewhat difficult. Dusk was indeed crying, but when he found himself held against Spike's breast he slowly came to a stop. Spike's warmth made the tired little foal fall asleep within a few minutes.

Spike was more than happy at that. His nephew may not be quite ready to deal with him just yet, but holding him in his arms alleviated a lot of the guilt he felt from scaring him. He couldn't help but feel silly for taking Dusk's reaction so seriously, he wasn't even a day old after all.

Pearl was glad that her father was smiling again, and everyone else silently watched with warm smiles as well. After a few minutes Trixie and Spike went to return the babies to Twilight's side after their grandfather Night Light told them she had woken up. Spike and Night returned a few minutes later, saying that the twins needed to eat so they were giving them privacy.

Pearl didn't understand that, and asked her peers about it but none of them had a clue either. Skyla seemed to know, but from her uncomfortable wing shuffling Pearl assumed she didn't want to say. She assumed it was a pony thing that wasn't polite to ask about. Her fathers told her that pretty often when she asked questions, something that annoyed her to no end. However, another question was nagging at the back of her mind.

"Hey Pa? If foals don't hatch from eggs where do they come from?" She asked looking to her father who suddenly seemed redder than normal.

As an uncomfortable silence crept over the group nopony was paying attention to the goings on elsewhere in the hospital. A rather tall unicorn mare in a nurse's hat was using her magic to push a stallion covered in poorly wrapped bandages and band-aids through the hospital exit. As they were leaving the stallion spoke after making sure they were out of earshot.

"Why don't we take the foals? They're gonna grow up powerful and we could raise them to love us and each other. We'd probably never go hungry again my queen." The stallion asked warily, as if fearing the nurse's response.

The mare glared at the stallion for a moment, but her expression softened soon. She sighed and rolled her eyes, keeping her gaze off of the stallion until she formulated a proper response. Once she had one she clicked her tongue and looked back to the stallion.

"How do you think I'd feel if someone stole one of your brothers and sisters from me?" She asked as they kept on down the road away from the hospital.

"Sad." The stallion replied guiltily, seemingly having figured out the answer himself.

"Correct. Now how would you feel if you lost the opportunity to know one of your brothers or sisters without ever meeting them?" The mare continued.

"Sad." The stallion replied immediately, hanging his head as he did so.

"Yes, that is why we never replace foals or take foals. Any mother that loved her children would never do that to another parent. I love all my children, even if they annoy me at times." The nurse said sweetly.

"We love you too... Mommy." The stallion replied happily as he looked back at the nurse.

For a time both of them were silent, enjoying the scenery as they got closer to Ponyville proper. However, the words overheard as they were leaving the hospital were bouncing around in the stallion's head. He needed to know the answer.

"So where do foals come from if it's not eggs?" The stallion asked. The nurse groaned aloud and massaged her temple with her hoof in an attempt to fend off the oncoming headache.

"I'll tell you when you're older." She replied, going with the default parental answer used around the world.

"I'm twenty-six." He replied.

"Then I'll tell you when you're more mature." She replied, obviously getting annoyed.

"Well when will that be?" He asked innocently.

"Just shut up Steve. Seriously. I had to fake my way through giving an elderly stallion a prostate exam while we were at the hospital. I am not in the mood." She practically growled in response. Needless to say the remainder of their journey was largely silent.

Author's Note:

I dunno. The baby names were difficult to decide. I wanted them to be twins from the beggining, but couldn't come up with a good boy name. So I ended up going with Twilight's R63 name and made a similar name for the girl. I'll probably go back through and recheck for errors later, as it's really late but I'll let you guys have it now since I won't be at my computer till really late tomorrow.

The bit at the end was for laughs and to set the tone for future events. The next few chapters will be skipping ahead in time by increments that I have yet to determine fully. I need to do a little more planning with the next few chapters before I'll be satisfied I can make the ending perfect. That said, it may not come till October. I got lucky and found a chunk of free time to write the bulk of this chapter. I already had some rough draft for this one written out so I finished it.

If it isn't obvious the nurse is Chrysalis, and the stallion is one of the bajillion identical drones. I named him Steve because like all the good insect related names have been used in other fics. Plus me and my best friend were watching this movie the other day and two guys were arguing over codenames, and they both wanted to be Steve for some reason. The crazy one said: "You'll never be Steve!" really loudly and the sane one let him win so he would shut up so they wouldn't get caught or something. The movie wasn't that great, but that line stuck with us. And I had a dream where changelings were trying to come up with names for assumed pony personas they had made. Instead of using a typical name that sound believable they argue over who got to be Steve.

So, yada, yada. All hail Steve, the most annoying changeling.