• Published 29th Mar 2012
  • 1,293 Views, 17 Comments

Legend of Celestia: The Lyre of Destiny - Lunafan1k



A strange dream leads Lyra on a quest of self discovery and heroism.

  • ...
0
 17
 1,293

Prelude

Lightning flashed across the stormy sky, lighting up the Canterlot gardens as bright as day before they became veiled once again by the dreadful downpour. Lyra Heartstrings was soaked to the bone, a deathly chill making her mint green fur stand on end as she stood before the palace gates. Oddly, the gates were closed, barring all passage to and from the palace. Lyra looked around herself, she was alone, in the dark, soaked from the rain, and had no recollection on how she got there.

Before she could ponder further another flash of lightning revealed the great gates of the castle to be slightly ajar. The rumbling thunder died down, allowing Lyra to hear the grinding of stone and steel, the gates were opening.

She stood there, watching the gates in awe. Soon she heard shouting over the sound of the rain, numerous guards fled through the gates. Lyra was able to catch a glance at none other than Princess Celestia herself fleeing through the castle gates with her royal escort. The sound of their many hooves beating against the rain soaked ground faded away just as Lyra heard another set of hooves approaching. She turned back to see none other than Princess Celestia's sister, Princess Luna, standing before her.

Princess Luna said something that was lost amidst the lightning and thunder. Lyra tried to get her to repeat what she had said, but she only responded with a scowl. Lyra tried to state her inquisition again, only this time Princess Luna responded by channeling a spell through her horn, then blasting Lyra off her hooves.


"AHHH!!" Lyra screamed as she bolted upright in her bed. She held a hoof to her head, panting heavily as she looked around her room. Being surrounded by her own personal belongings quickly calmed her nerves. She reached over the side of her bed and grabbed her lyre case and pulled it tightly to her chest. There was a brief knock on her door before it opened.

"Lyra? Is everything okay? I heard you scream." Bon Bon said. Lyra had been sharing a small house with Bon Bon, they split the rent 50/50. Their mornings were a standard routine, Bon Bon needed to begin work early in the morning, and as such would always make breakfast for the two, a fresh chef salad with a side of a confectionery item, this morning's choice, cinnamon rolls. After Bon Bon leaves for work, Lyra would clean up the mess resulting from her cooking.

"Yes, everything is fine Bony." Lyra said, she chuckled at the disgusted look on her roommate's face. "Just a bad dream is all, forgot most of it already."

"Yes well, breakfast is ready, I'm heading out to work. Good luck on your performance today." Bon Bon said encouragingly as Lyra rolled her eyes.

"By performance surely you don't mean being ignored as background noise at a fancy restaurant?" Lyra said flatly.

"Oh? A lyre isn't considered background noise?" Bon Bon said with a gleeful grin, revenge for the pet name was gratifying beyond measure, she was sure to have a wonderful day.

"No, it isn't. Maybe you would know that if you had actual taste in music." Lyra jibed.

"There is nothing wrong with the music I like!" Bon Bon responded quickly, earning a dark smile from Lyra.

"Yes you keep thinking that on your way to work Bony. Techno is dull, repetitive, and holds no true artistic value." Bon Bon ground her teeth as she turned to leave for the day.

Lyra took another glace around her room as she heard her roommate stomp out of the house. The only detail about her dream still managing to stand out was that it had something to do with the Princesses of Equestria. With a shrug and a content sigh, she hauled herself out of her bed, ready for another uneventful day playing her lyre for a bunch of unappreciative ponies.

She made her way downstairs to where breakfast was waiting for her. Bon Bon enjoyed trying to surprise her every morning, adding different fruits and vegetables to the salads or making some new surgery item for Lyra to taste test. Lyra had no qualms with being a test subject, Bon Bon was professional enough to know how not to make an abomination of a sugary sweet.

Lyra ate her salad in the penetrating silence of the kitchen, the only sound was the hypnotically soft crunching as Lyra chewed her lettuce leaves with bits of chopped carrots and apples. As her mind wandered she felt she should surprise her roommate with an unannounced visit to her place of work, Sugar Cube Corner. Lyra usually ate at the restaurant she performed at, one of the perks being a free meal a day.

The food was nice, a bit fancy for her tastes, but it was free. The job payed well enough, with the rent split she usually had enough bits at the end of the month to do as she pleased, like a trip to Canterlot to visit her old friends. At the thought of Canterlot, an image of dark storm clouds filled her mind and she became desired to see it first hoof. Perhaps she should pay a visit to Canterlot, if only to remove the image from her head.

Now finished with her salad, she turned to the fresh cinnamon rolls on the counter. Bon Bon only wants her to eat one of whatever she makes for breakfast. If that were true, why would she make so many? Lyra used her magic to grab a small box from under the counter and placed a paper liner inside. She then levitated all of the rolls save for one into the box, she was planning on eating them throughout the day.

She placed the box along with a small plate onto the table, then placed the remaining roll onto the plate as she sat down to finish her breakfast. Before she could sink her teeth into the sweet confection, someone knocked on her door. With an aggravated sigh she got up to answer it. When she opened the door she saw none other than the local mail mare of Ponyville, Derpy Hooves.

"Morning Derpy, you're here early today." Lyra greeted. Derpy never came by until mid morning just about every day, to see her at this hour was rare in itself.

"Good morning Lyra!" Derpy said with a brilliant smile. "I have an urgent letter for you from Canterlot!"

"Oh, okay then." Lyra said as Derpy dug around in her saddle bag for the letter.

"Heref yu goo!" Derpy said with the letter in her mouth. Lyra took it in her magic, a worried expression on her face. Why would she of all ponies receive a letter from Canterlot?

"Thank you Derpy, you have a great day now okay?" Lyra said as she began to examine the letter.

"I will, thank you Lyra!" Derpy said as she took to the air, no doubt to begin her regular route.

Lyra closed the door as she flew off. She made her way back to the kitchen and sat down at the table, the confection now completely forgotten about. She carefully peeled open one end of the envelope and extracted a card size piece of parchment dyed to give it a classy look. The entire card was framed with a golden, inter-crossing design. Lyra swallowed hard, mentally preparing herself for what she was about to read.

Dearest Lyra Heartstrings,

We are pleased to inform you that you have been invited to audition for a full time musician at the Royal Palace. Auditions are to begin the first of the month. We eagerly await your swift arrival.

Lyra's jaw hit the table, snapping her out of her shocked state. She quickly turned to the calendar on the fridge door, the first of the month was in two days! She began to smile so broadly it actually hurt her face, but she didn't care, she had to think of a piece to play for the audition! She had to pack and make travel arrangements! She had to tell Bon Bon the great news!

She reared back, clopping her hooves together and giggling in glee. In a flash she was out the door, ready to take the first step to change her life forever.

A/N: I just got this brilliant idea and decided to make this prelude as a way of claiming my idea before someone can steal it. I was inspired by an image posted by Hungrybear in another story's comments, the same image used for this story. Unfortunately I will not continue this story until I finish For Want of a Better World in the next week or two. Until then let me know what you think and such.

Edited by me.

Also, if someone has already done a "Lyra is sorta like Link in Equestria but not really" then let me know so I don't get accused of theft or something.

Comments ( 17 )

'Cause it's the LYRE! *Dun Da-Dun!*
Of destiny, child, you know it will be rockin'
'cause it's fuckin' insane!

ha! looks like you got your idea out there after all! saw the pic and remembered someone telling me they were gonna use it.
I was hoping you were gonna do a Majoras mask crossover, but I'm content with orcarina of time as well.
tracking :twilightsmile:

380735 Who knows? if this is a hit then i may do Majora's Mask. :twilightsmile:

380746
heh, well then, crossing my fingers! :twilightsheepish:

Pretty damn good! Am I the only one who thought of Skyward Sword since Lyra was Link and they both play Lyre?

This is good, a properly executed Zelda fic thus far. Color me interested.

Legend of Celestia: Moonlight Mask
Can't steal Majora from Nintendo. It works.
Fierce Alicorn Lyra. Can't wait.
She'll have a dragon mask, an zebra mask, and a buffalo mask.
Good plan, right?

Hmm.. Interesting..

... *tracks*

Ah LoZ, we love you so.

380708>>381220 sorry, but the title is not a pick of destiny reference and there will be no references to the pick of destiny at all. As Lyra is already an "Adult" there is no need to wait the 7 years for her to grow up and so no need for her to travel through time, so lyre of time would not fit the premise of the story. the true reason of the title of destiny is a spoiler to be revealed when i write the next several chapters.

381281

Nah, I was just too lazy to find a decent metal cover of anything from Ocarina Of Time.

I honestly can't wait for this to be finished. So legit, does this mean that Nightmare Moon is Gannon and that Luna is just regular Gannondorf?

hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm
Mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm
Mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm
mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm
mmmmmmmmmmmmmm
mmmmmM
m

no idea where this is going but lets hope for the best

Login or register to comment