• Published 8th Mar 2014
  • 481 Views, 5 Comments

Shining's Log - wille179



A Journal is found in a crater. On the cover were two words: "Shining's Log." This is Shining Armor's recount of his mad adventures in the twisted world.

  • ...
5
 5
 481

Section 6

Shining’s Log: Entry 76

Expectations are often subverted. That’s something Dad would always say, and his words held true here.

When Celestia, Luna, Discord, and I busted out of our cell, we expected a fight. We expected to at least see other ponies. Hey, we expected to see living things within the city.

Expectations are often subverted.

There was nopony out there in the city; Canterlot is deserted. Hours and hours we’ve walked, and not a soul in sight. I guess that’s why nopony came to feed me in all that time. From the looks of things, the ponies here vanished shortly after my imprisonment.


The whispers are back, and stronger, louder, more persuasive than ever before. Call me paranoid, Log, but I refuse to write down what they say. I do not want my companions reading those horrible, sickening, beautiful words.

And if you are reading this, BUCK YOU! Log is my friend and he keeps my secrets. If you read them, then they wouldn’t be secrets. So buck you.

Shining’s Log: Entry 77

Princess Celestia has vanished! One minute she was there and the next, nothing. I’d seen a fast moving shadow in the corner of my eye. I didn’t mention it. They hadn’t reacted, so I had thought it was just my imagination.

I still don’t know. But that doesn’t change the fact that only a moment later, Princess Celestia was gone! There wasn’t a sound or a warning. It all happened so subtly that she could have been missing for several minutes before we noticed. Or hours – time is very confusing here.

Princess Luna started having a bit of a freak-out. I’ll spare you the details, mostly for her sake, but I will say that it was quite rough. It nearly ended in tragedy, too. See, as Discord and I were unsuccessfully attempting to calm her down, Princess Luna dashed ahead and swung around the corner of a building. Had I followed her there a split-second later, I wouldn’t have been in time to stop her from falling into a pit of lime punch.

Wait. Have I not told you of the horror that is lime punch? That’s my innocent sounding name for the most horrible substance that has ever existed. Lime punch is a puddle of green goo that appears randomly though out the land. I’ve seen one of the tougher monsters I’ve fought fall into it; the beast was stripped to the bone faster than I can blink. I don’t think even a recovering alicorn could have survived falling into that stuff.

Princess Luna thanked me when I told her what that stuff was. Discord told me that they had not been free in this nightmarish world long enough to encounter lime punch yet. I just hope that we don’t meet any of the other hazards that I’ve found during my travels.

Shining’s Log: Entry 78

It’s been three sleep cycles since Princess Celestia had disappeared. We’ve had no luck in finding her through any means, magical or mundane. Discord said that this place is messing with his powers, and even then, he is still too weak from his draining and imprisonment to be of much help.

Then Princess Luna had to go and disappear, too. I’m really worried, Log. It may not sound like it because I’m putting on my brave face when I write here, but I am really bucking messed up right now. I spent months in confinement with them after such a long period without stable social interaction, and I’ve grown quite attached to the Royal Sisters.

To lose friends like this hurts more than you could ever know.

Discord’s not helping any. Sure, he considers all of us friends, but his perpetually relaxed attitude is really, really annoying. He doesn’t take anything about our situation seriously.

Oh, and he’s constantly muttering something about “oblivion” and not wanting it to do… something. I forgot. Still, I have no idea what he is talking about.


We’ve been searching Canterlot – for what, I’m not sure – for a while now. I just want to find anypony. Hell, I just want to get home! Is that too much for a stallion to ask for?

Shining’s Log: Entry 80

Fourteen sleeps after our escape from the prison cell, Discord vanished, too. With the exception of Thorn – and he doesn’t really count since he can’t talk – I’m once again completely alone.

The fog is getting thick. The shadows move once more. Is this madness? Or an evil spirit? The pain is unbearable, yet it pleasures me so. Why did I write that? I don’t hurt. How silly.

The agony in my skull is excruciating.

I don’t hurt one bit.

Pain.

Normal.

I’m so utterly confused. Lost, too. This fog is so thick that I can’t even make out much of my own hoof when I wave it in front of my face.

I’m tired now, Log. I’m going to sleep now.

Shining’s Log: 9:51 AM, April 13, 992 A.N.M.

I just woke up from an eleven month coma. How’s that for a scary good morning. I woke up in Canterlot General. The last thing I remember before this is… something about Twily? Something about her being scary?

I don’t know what happened. And, if the nurse is right, neither do the doctors. I just fell asleep and never woke up. All their spells said I was nearly brain dead, and that the small little spark of intelligence I had left was all that kept my parents from taking me off life support.

Thank Celestia they didn’t. Why does writing that make me feel sad? Never mind, the feeling’s gone.

The only question I have is “what happened to my logbook?” When I asked, they gave me a funny look, like I had said some nonsense. They said nopony had touched it until now. That doesn’t explain all the extra entries – were those written in blood? – and enchantments on my logbook. Enchantments cast with my magic. I don’t even know any spells like that! And how could I have cast if I was in a coma?

When I tried to point these things out to my family, it was like they couldn’t hear me and couldn’t see what I was showing them. Yet they can hear and see everything else just fine. I hope some of these entries help me understand. Maybe there’s a clue in there.

Comments ( 1 )

This story is great! You have mystery, horror, and confusion. The log book style is very intriguing and it was wonderful as a whole. I'm a little sad it's on hiatus, but if you can't write, you can't write.

Login or register to comment