• Published 26th Mar 2012
  • 10,168 Views, 500 Comments

My Little Sly Cooper: Thievery is Magic - Deyeaz



Sly Cooper lost his last life... and becomes a pony.

  • ...
22
 500
 10,168

II - A Second Chance

My Little Sly Cooper: Thievery is Magic

II - A Second Chance

"I'm dead. I'm dead! What the heck do I do!?"

Sly was beginning to stir. His eyelids fluttered weakly as he fought to regain consciousness. All at once, he remembered what happened, and leapt to his feet, his cane raised high to strike if the need arose. It didn't.

He lowered his cane, leaned casually on it, and scratched his chin, "Okay, let me see... I had gotten the diamond, I was almost home free... Then Carmelita spotted me... She shocked me, I fell into the water and then... I drowned."

"Funny... if this is what death is like... it doesn't seem so bad. Bit boring, though..." Sly examined his surroundings, finding nothing but blackness and swirling grey mist, casting an eerie air about the place. Nothing in any direction. Nothing of interest. Sly cradled his face in his hand as the weight of having actually died hit him, and nearly got a heart attack for his trouble. He could see clearly through his own hand.

His whole body was transparent. His eyes were wide as he waved his hand in front of his face in a vain effort to return some opacity to it. No such luck. Looking down, he noted bleakly that his feet were in a similar state; He could see the black surface that passed for the ground in this place through his shoes.

"Man, not only is the Feng Shui here awful, the whole see-through thing is creepy. A bit overused too..." Sly mused.

"Well, well, well..." said a deep, smooth voice that seemed to eminate from nowhere, "What have we here...?"

For the second time in five minutes, Sly's heart almost failed him (Which would have been a neat trick, what with the whole being dead thing) as he whipped around, cane raised for a strike, to see a figure rising from the inky blackness of the "Ground", causing ripples to roll outward as though he were moving through liquid. Finally, after what seemed like an eternity, the figure stood before Sly, shrouded in black robes and carrying a large, rusty scythe in a single paper-white hand.

Death literally stood before Sly.

There was something ever so slightly off about Death; He wasn't made of bones, for one thing. By all appearances, he was some kind of hairless ape, with skin so pale one could swear he hadn't seen the sun in centuries. His teeth were off-white and unsettlingly sharp as he grinned hungrily at Sly. The feature that drew Sly's gaze the most however, were the holes where the reaper's eyes should have been. Dark, crimson lines that looked suspiciously like blood ran from the sockets, as though the reaper had been weeping blood.

"Hmm, let's see here..." Death's deep voice echoed through the emptiness as he leaned his scythe on one shoulder and gestured with one hand, causing a small clump of mist to converge into a large, black tome. Allowing it to fall open, Death mumbled to himself, "C... C... Cooper, Rioichi... Cooper, Sarah Ann... Ah, here we are, Cooper, Sly... Age, nineteen... Cause of death--" He closed the book with a loud, echoing snap "--Drowning."

"However, dear boy, your case is... Special. You died attempting to prevent a catastrophe. This is a rare occurrance. Only happens once every three decades or so... You should feel honored. Because of these circumstances, you have been granted a... reprieve. A second chance at life."

Sly, whose heart had been sinking with each consecutive word, perked up; A second chance at life? He could barely contain himself! Sly wanted to jump for joy at his good fortune! As it was, he couldn't prevent a large, goofy grin from spreading across his face.

Death, for his part, seemed less amused. "Calm yourself, child. Against my better judgement, you will be reincarnated. You may even choose the world upon which your new life will begin." Without so much as a flourish, Death raised his scythe and swung three times at nothing in particular. With ease that belied the pitted, rusted blade of the scythe, the implement tore through the blackness and mist with a noise reminescent of a knife tearing through canvas.

Death gestured at the slight rips his scythe had opened with a careless flick of his wrist; As though being held open by giant, invisible fingers the tears widened enough that Sly could easily see through them. Through the one on his left, he saw a mustachioed fat man using what appeared to be a water-powered jetpack to jump over tall obstacles and strange looking enemies.

The tear on his right depicted a green-clad dirty blonde creature riding a horse, carrying a shield and sword on his back, a glowing blue fairy buzzing merrily behind him as it attempted to keep up.

Though the tear straight ahead, he saw six bizarrely colorful ponies and a small draconic reptile, all frolicking merrily in a green field.

Sly thought long and hard about his choices. At least, as long and as hard as he could with the wholly terrifying reaper staring at him. In reality, it took roughly two minutes.

"Well," began Sly, surprised that his voice still worked as a ghost, "The one on the left seems to be a bit too dependant on water, and I think I got enough of THAT last time... The one on the right... That guy's got a sword. And a shield... Is that a bow? Way too dangerous. Plus, something about that fairy makes me want to stomp on it." The Reaper nodded. Apparently this was a common reaction.

"So I guess that leaves the one in the middle... It looks safe... And colorful. I think my only danger there will be diabetes." Sly said with a helpless shrug, "Guess that's where I'm going."

"Are you sure?" asked Death, one of his empty eye sockets opening wider as he cocked an eyebrow. "This is the last chance to change your mind. Once you're in, you can't come back." Sly nodded in recognition. The Reaper continued, "Moreover, you may not like what happens when you arrive."

For a moment, Sly hesitated, second guessing his choice. It didn't take him long to reaffirm his decision, however. What point was there in going to a world of traps and danger? He'd lived that life last time, and all it got him was orphaned, shot at, and ultimately drowned.

Sly swallowed any further second thoughts, his muscles tensing as he braced himself for the purge, "I'm sure."

"If that is your decision..." The reaper snapped the fingers of his free hand, and the unchosen tears slowly closed and disappeared noiselessly. Stepping back from the remaining portal, Death gave a little bow and gestured with his free hand, "Onward to glory, my dear boy."

"Thanks," the master thief said. Not knowing what to expect, Sly took a couple careful steps backward, then dashed towards the portal and leapt through.


"Whoo-wee!" Puffed Applejack, after bucking her twentieth apple tree of the day. Sweat was pouring down her face but, undeterred, she bucked yet another tree. The force of her hooves shook the tree violently and sent the fruit that it bore plummeting into the buckets. "If Ah keep this up, th' orchard'll be cleared in no time!"

"Eeyup," said Big Macintosh as he pulled a cart full of apples behind him. Their pet dog, Winona, was trotting happily along with them, giving them moral support and, every once in a while, pulling out bad apples as she saw them.

Applejack had raised her hooves to buck the next tree when something stole her attention, causing her to absentmindedly lower them back to the ground.

A navy blue and gray... blur… was tearing through the air, soaring towards the barn at a speed that would have made Rainbow Dash proud.

"What'n tarnation? What the hay was that thing?" The cowpony wondered as it crashed through the barn's roof with the sickening sound of splintering wood. With her barn's roof sufficiently destroyed, she decided she could put her work aside for a bit and investigate.

"C'mon, Winona, Big Mac!" shouted the farmer as she galloped towards the barn.

"Eeyup," responded the stoic stallion, untethering himself from the apple cart and racing after his sister.

"Arf! Arf!" Winona yapped as she ran after them, panting furiously.