• Published 26th Mar 2012
  • 10,169 Views, 500 Comments

My Little Sly Cooper: Thievery is Magic - Deyeaz



Sly Cooper lost his last life... and becomes a pony.

  • ...
22
 500
 10,169

III - Not-So-Warm Welcome To Ponyville

My Little Sly Cooper: Thievery is Magic

III - Not-So-Warm Welcome To Ponyville

Jumping out of that portal like that might not have been a good idea, thought Sly as he freefalled towards the barn at terminal velocity.

{SHHHHHHHHHIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIII-} screamed the thief before he crash landed through the roof of the barn and into a soft pile of hay.

{Oof.... Never again, man,} groaned Sly as he pulled his face up out of his makeshift cushion. {That frickin' hurt.}

"Who's there?!" shouted a feminine voice at the entrance of the barn. Sly immediately burrowed under the hay and laid there, his heart hammering frantically in his chest. He wasn't just afraid of being discovered. Instead, he was afraid of the person who spoke: it was a foreign Western accent... and it was in a language Sly couldn't understand.

"Huh. Winona, sniff 'im out." said the voice again.

"Arf!" went the canine, who started sniffing the ground fervently in the attempt to catch the intruder.

{Please don't find me, please don't find me,} Sly whispered, lowering himself deeper in the hay in the hopes that he can remain hidden.

Suddenly, Sly was yanked up through the air by his tail. Something had grabbed him. No, bit him, on his tail and had pulled him out of his hiding spot.

"Already found 'em, sis." said a gruff and slightly muffled voice. He looked around and saw his captor: a red stallion with a dark blonde mane, and dark green eyes. Sly then looked around and saw an orange mare with a brown ten-gallon cowboy hat upon her blonde mane, brilliant green eyes, and three red apples on her flank, as well as a little brown dog that he guessed was called Winona.

{Hey! Let me go! Agh!} shouted the larcenist, who was squirming and wiggling like a worm in the stallions's oral clutches. He tried reaching for his cane, but no go: he was still a foot away from it. He looked at his hands and saw that... they WEREN'T hands. But rather, they were hooves, clad in the navy blue gloves that he loved swiping with. He examined his body and saw that he had hind legs, forelegs, a moderately thin gray body, and the Cooper Clan's emblem on his flank. His gray and black-ringed tail, mask, shirt, beret, and red backpack still remained, except the latter had two packs - one on each side - strung across his back.

"Good work, Big Mac. But I wonder why he's talkin' fancy like th-"

She was cut off by a shout that came from the intruder.

{AAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH} Sly screamed, surprised by his metamorphism. The muscular stallion, who Sly could only presume was called Big Mac, dropped him in shock. Sly grabbed his cane with his mouth and galloped ferociously towards the open barn door - how he ever managed to run on four legs, not to mention four foreign legs, when he preferred to use two was a total enigma to him, but he didn't care. He just wanted to get the heck out of here. He was almost there, just a few more paces-

*THWACK*

Something hit Sly in the stomach with enough force to obliterate a tree, sending him flying into a post. He hit it with a horrifying thud and heard a sickening crack: one of his ribs had broken. He spat out his cane and immediately began coughing violently, blood being expelled from his mouth in little droplets onto the gold head and the brown shaft of the cane, presumably from the blow he suffered. He was shouting swears that would make the dirtiest sailor cringe at the orange mare in the cowboy hat, who was looking at him in fear at the result of what she had done.

"Oh, no," the mare said, running up to Sly and scooping him up onto his back. "Ah've gotta get 'im to Twilight's place, and fast!" Luckily, he wasn't heavy to the mare, making the hauling a lot easier than she'd thought. Unluckily, his rib began to shoot pangs of agony because of the pressure he was putting on it.

{Argh! Stop it!} Sly wailed in pain. He was jostling on the mare's back as she galloped towards a town in the distance. He was beginning to lose consciousness from the pain: his vision swam before him, making everything blurry, and his brain began its shutdown mode.

"Ah'm sorry! Ah can't understand ya, but Ah can only assume yer in some serious pain!" the mare said.

"Applejack!" trilled a high voice. Sly glanced down and saw a yellow-coated filly pony with a red mane tied up in a big pink bow, running alongside the mare named Applejack. Her ember-colored eyes were alight with curiosity as she looked at Sly. "Where're ya goin'? And who's that?"

"Not now, Applebloom!" Applejack had said to the little filly christened Applebloom. "This pony's injured! Ah've gotta get 'im to Twilight's place! She's tha only one with magic that's strong 'nough to fix 'is rib! And she can cast a spell that'll help us understand 'im!"

{I don't... even know... what you're saying, woman!} replied Sly angrily and wearily. They sure as heck didn't speak any French, and he couldn't understand their unusual language either. His labored sentence was taking a toll on his health, as his lungs started to hurt: maybe the broken rib had began to cut into them a little bit.

"Ah cain't understand what'n tarnations yer sayin', sir! Just hold on a li'l bit longer!"

{Just........ stop......... talking....}

Sly was unconscious, laying limp on the mare's back as she trotted through the town to a huge hollow tree, which served as a house and a library. The farmer mare knocked on the door, the pony answering it was a bookish purple unicorn, a pink six-sided star that was surrounded with five white stars on her flank.

"Oh hey, Applejack!" greeted the unicorn, quite pleased to see her friend. "What's up?"

"Ah'll tell ya what's up, Twilight," responded Applejack. She turned and showed the unconscious form of Sly on her back. Twilight saw the blood trickling out of his mouth and the bruise on his side, causing her to gasp in shock.

"Quick, get him inside!" Twilight said worriedly. "He needs medical attention!" She turned to the little filly that stood next to Applejack, concern etched on her face. "Applebloom, do you think you can gather the others?"

"Ah'm on it, Twilight!" Applebloom said, puffing out her chest and raising her hoof in a salute. The little filly then trotted off into the distance to gather their friends.

"Please hurry."


"Shh!" "He's waking up!" "Quiet!" whispered some worried voices.

{Owwww.... that really hurt. So much for a new start in a new world.} Sly sat up in the extremely comfortable bed and cracked his neck, then rolled his shoulders back in place. He looked down and saw a bandage wrapped around his midriff: his rib must've been repaired while he was out cold. He was so immersed into his miraculous recovery that he didn't even pay any mind to a huge pair of bright blue eyes staring at him up close and personal until two seconds later.

{HOLY SH- Ow!} Exclaimed Sly, his profane word being intercepted with a fall to the floor as he tried to back away from the eyes. Laughter came from the ones that watched him with curiosity.

"Hi! I'm Pinkie Pie!" said a hyperactive pink mare. "It's a pleasure to meet you, Mr. Raccoon Stallion! Were you surprised when you woke up? Huh? Were ya, were ya, were ya, huh? Say, you must be new here! I can tell because I know every single pony in Ponyville, and I've never seen you before, so If you're new here, then that must mean you don't have any friends, and if you don't have any friends, you must lonely-wonely!" She then looked at him with sad, puppy-dog eyes. Sly couldn't understand a single syllable that this equine creature was saying, and he was scared out of his wits because of this.

{What are you saying?!?!} He said in both fear and astonishment. They looked at him, bemused by what their newcomer had said. He wasn't sure how this mare had so much energy. He rubbed the place where he had fallen on his head with his hoof and discovered that something was missing: his beret and his mask were not on his head. His eyes were wide with apprehension. {Oh, no!} He looked around and saw them laying on the bedside table, along with his saddlebag.{Whew! that was a close one.} He put them on and went to grab his cane.

Only one problem: his cane wasn't there.

{No, no, no, no, no!} He began looking around the area, looking for his weapon/tool. He began to panic, and the despair that his priceless heirloom was to be forever lost began to contaminate him like the plague... until a purple hoof was placed gently upon his shoulder. He looked around and saw that the hoof was connected to a purple... unicorn... with a really dark blue mane and tail. Her mane was styled to give her bangs, and it was accessorized with a purple and hot pink streak.

"It's okay," coaxed the unicorn. Her amethyst-colored eyes looking at Sly pitifully. She gave him a reassuring smile. "Look," she began, enunciating her words like Sly was brain dead, "I'm going to do something that will help both us and you. I simply need you to relax, because if you don't, this might hurt a little bit. Okay?"

{Look, lady,} began Sly, his eyes going wider as the unicorn's horn began to glow and was placed on his forehead, {I need to find my cane. I have no time for th-}

*POOM! SHWOOSHWOOSHWOOSHWOOSHWOOSH-*

The glow that was surrounding the unicorn's horn was pulsating audibly from the base of the horn to Sly's forehead. Sadly, Sly wasn't prepared for it and the effects weren't exactly something that just "hurt a little bit".

{NNNNNNNNNNGGGGGGGGGGHHHHHH!} he seethed, gritting his teeth as hard as he could. His brain was throbbing violently, his pupils dilating, his vocal chords felt like they were melting and reshaping themselves inside his throat. At least, that's what he thought it felt like. It took a lot of effort not to scream from the excruciating torture.

After about a minute of agony, the horn stopped glowing. The purple unicorn was breathing heavily, almost like some dog in heat. "I told you," she panted, "to relax. Didn't I?"

"Well, I didn't know what you were saying earlier, now did I?" Sly retorted. He clapped his hooves to his mouth like he just responded with something rude.

"Hey, I can understand you perfectly!" the unicorn said happily. She was a little surprised that the spell has succeeded.

"No kidding! I can understand you, also!"

"Oh, this is so exciting. Who knew that that spell would work on the first try? But where are my manners? I haven't even introduced you to my friends yet!" She raised her hoof, ready to point to the ponies that she was going to introduce. "That earth pony over there is named Applejack, and the little filly next to her is her sister, Applebloom-"

"Well, howdy do, sir," Applejack greeted as she tipped her hat at Sly.

"Hi-ya!" said Applebloom. "Oh, Ah jest remembered! Ah have something fer ya!" With that, she turned around and grabbed Sly's cane in her mouth. She walked over to him and dropped the cane in his outstretched hoof. He caught it in the crook of his foreleg and with great effort, he stood on his hind legs and leaned against the cane that stood at a slight tangent. "Ya left it back home'n the barn!"

"Thanks, Applebloom! I was looking for this thing." Sly reached out with his free hoof and gave Applebloom's mane a little tussle. The filly was a little embarrassed, but she didn't mind too much.

"That cyan Pegasus up there with the rainbow-colored mane and tail is Rainbow Dash-"

"Sup," Rainbow said, zooming over to Sly and raising her forehoof up for a hoofbump once she landed. Sly could only return the hoofbump gladly.

"The yellow Pegasus there is Fluttershy-"

"Oh. H-hello," Fluttershy mumbled quietly, almost to herself, judging from how meekly she had greeted. Sly waved at her. She appeared intimidated, because she backed away and hid behind her long, rose-tinted mane.

Now I know why the last syllable of her name is "Shy", mused Sly.

"The white unicorn next to you is Rarity-"

"Well, hello, darling," said Rarity, a unicorn with a spectacularly curled purple mane and tale and deep blue eyes. Her voice reminded Sly of the Atlantic, and how the men and women would always have accents like that. She extended her hoof out to him, signaling that she wants him to shake it. He had to get back on his for legs and oblige: it was rude to decline the greeting of a lady. "I daresay, dear, your tail looks magnificent!" She was picking up his tail and examining it with adoration. "I say, are these rings natural by any chance, dear?"

"Well, yeah," answered the raccoon-stallion, looking at his long ring tail and swishing it back and forth. "How'd you know?"

"Well, I do know quite a bit about fashion, dear. Please come by the Carousel Boutique when you get an opportunity. I'll finally have an excuse to have male models in my shop!" She had let go of Sly's tail, but she was still eyeing it with interest.

"This is Pinkie Pie." the purple unicorn said, pointing with her hoof to a pink pony munching on a cupcake with a bottle of hot sauce in her other hoof. "She's hyperactive some of the time, so watch out for her."

"SOME of the time?" said Sly with a look of disbelief at what she had said. "THAT... is an understatement."

"Yepper-pepper!" trilled Pinkie, bouncing over to Sly on her four hooves and stretching one of them out for a hoofshake, which Sly half-heartily accepted, and he saw why in a couple of seconds: Pinkie noticed Sly's tail and immediately made a grab for it. "AWWW!" She squealed as she nuzzled her face deep into the tail. " Just look at his ring tail, everypony! It's just soooo soft and CUTESY-WOOTSEY!"

"Hey! Let go of my tail!" Sly spat (not literally) at the bouncing quadruped as he whipped his tail out of her grasps.

"Pinkie, control yourself, please," the purple unicorn scolded. Pinkie sat there on her haunches, looking like some poor defeated puppy dog... which a really poofy hot pink mane and tail. "This here is my number one assistant, Spike. He's a dragon." She said those last three words with a very slight hint of pride.

"How ya doing?" the dragon said, waving at Sly. Sly could help but stare at the dragon with amazement: never before had he seen a mythological creature like this. Even though Spike was still two or three feet tall, that didn't change the fact that Sly thought that the purple dragon with green spines and facial fins was pretty cool.

"Meh. Can't complain," he responded coolly, returning Spike's wave.

"And I'm Twilight Sparkle. It's nice to meet you." Twilight held out her hoof with a joyous smile. Sly felt an internal pang of disgust at the mention of the name: it reminded him of a certain literary abomination back on Earth, and the annoying fans that practically worshiped it. Nonetheless, he was determined to be as friendly as possible. Besides, maybe the name was just a coincidence.

"It's nice to meet you too, Twilight. The name's Sly. Sly Cooper." He took her hoof and shook it.

"Sly... Cooper..." Twilight liked the way his name rolled off of her tongue. "It's a very nice name, Sly."

"Th-thanks, Twilight." The masked stallion with the raccoon tail couldn't help but blush a tiny bit at the complement, pink standing out against the gray.

"AAAAAAAWWWWW," squealed the pink mare called Pinkie Pie as she got in between the two of them, bouncing up and down around them on her hooves while singing "Sly's in love with Twilight! Sly's in love with Twilight!" in a "na-na-na-na-naa-naa" kind of tone.

"Pinkie!" Twilight wailed, obviously tired of the hyperactive party goer's obnoxious antics. "Cut it out!"

"W-what?!" said Sly defensively, his gray cheeks burning even pinker from Pinkie's banter. "No, I don't! Besides, we just met!"

"Yeah!" The studious unicorn's cheeks were also searing a light red as her eyes kept darting from Pinkie to Sly and back to Pinkie. "Besides, it's not like I'll just instantly fall in love with a stallion I haven't met!"

"Mm-hmm!"

"Deniiiaaalll," Pinkie hummed matter-of-factly while hanging upside-down from the ceiling. Sly did a double take at Pinkie's defiance of gravity and his jaw dropped. "Now KISS!" She placed her fore hooves behind Sly's and Twilight's heads and pushed them closer together until their foreheads collided ("Ow!"). Twilight's horn knocked over Sly's beret, revealing his gray boyishly styled mane. Their muzzles were scrunched up against one another. They looked into each others eyes for a fraction of a second and backed away quickly. The two of them glared daggers at Pinkie, who had landed neatly in front of them.

"Grrrrrrrrrrrrr," rumbled both Sly and Twilight, the two of them irritated by Pinkie's persistence.

"Is it always like this here?" Sly asked Twilight, concerned that his choice for reincarnation might have somewhat been in vain.

"Well, no. Only when Pinkie's around." The studious unicorn answered. Sly just simply went "Huh", showing that he understood.

"Well, Ah gotta admit, Twi and Sly," mused Applejack, liking the fact that the two names rhymed. "You two DO look cute together."

"Oh, no, not you too!" Twilight groaned. These foals must be enjoying themselves, she thought angrily.

"Well, what's wrong with that?" wondered Rainbow Dash, who had given Sly a small slap on the back. "I think he's kinda cool: It'd be awesome if you went out with him!"

"Why, yes, indeed!" Rarity wedged in. "Sure, Sly could use a bit of a wardrobe change - that blue and yellow combination appears ghastly on him - but the two of you would be adorable together!" She got starry-eyed at the thought of the two of them being in a relationship.

"Yeah!" chipped in Applebloom, gazing at Twilight and Sly with her orange eyes. "Ya sure do!"

"O-oh, yes!" added Fluttershy, smiling at the idea that the two of them got married and had children. "Think of all the adorable, little baby foals you two could have...."

"Oh, come ON!" Sly wailed in agitation as he threw his forelegs up in the air. He was getting aggravated by all their opinions. "Lalalalalaaaa I can't hear you!" Twilight had clamped her hooves shut on her ears in an attempt to block out all of the girls' voices.

"C'mon, everypony," Spike intervened, raising a clawed purple hand in front of the five mares and the filly. "Just leave them alone."

"Awwwwwww," groaned the six of them, disappointed that their banter had to come to a sudden halt.

"Thanks, Spike," Twilight said to her assistant, rubbing his head with her right hoof affectionately.

"Say, Sly, why d'ya have a raccoon fer a Cutie Mark?" wondered Applebloom. Sly noticed, upon inspection, that Applebloom didn't have a "Cutie Mark" on her flank.

"What's a Cutie Mark?" Sly had no idea what this silly name was or what it did.

"Are you kidding me?" snapped Rainbow incredulously. "You don't know what a Cutie Mark is, and yet you have one?"

"A Cutie Mark is a symbol that appears on your flank when you find out what your special talent is, Sly," answered Twilight almost instantly. "It's what defines you, what makes you unique... what makes you you."

"Huh...." Sly slowly began to understand the concept of a Cutie Mark. He looked down at his flank to gaze upon the masked raccoon, the Cooper Clan's crest. He glanced at the other ponies, and noticed different Cutie Marks on their flanks: Rarity had three blue diamonds; Pinkie had three balloons, two blue and one yellow; Fluttershy had three pink-winged butterflies; Twilight had a hot pink six-sided starburst, surrounded by five white stars; Applejack had her three red apples; Rainbow Dash had a cloud with a blue, yellow, and red lightning bolt jutting out of it.

"Well then... I guess my Cutie Mark not only signifies my clan... but it also shouts "I'm a thief" in a way." The stallion with the coon tail joked.

"Clan? Thief? Whaaaat?" said Pinkie, confused by it all.

"Oh, Pinkie," Sly sighed. "Gather around, everybody-"

"Everypony," interrupted Rainbow, who sat on her haunches along with the others.

"Nooo... Spike's here."

"Oh," The chromatic-haired mare smiled awkwardly at the realization of her mistake.

"Anyways, sit down, you guys," Sly resumed. "You may not believe what I have to tell you....

"Before I came here to... Ponyville, right?" He remembered Pinkie's rushed greeting from earlier, and the seven ponies and dragon nodded. "Okay. Before I came to Ponyville, I was living on a beautiful, yet dangerous place called Earth, in a town known as Paris in a country called France. That's why we couldn't understand each other: I spoke French, and you spoke... English, I think. Yeah, English. Back on Earth, I was an actual raccoon." Three-quarters of the audience were open-mouthed in fascination. "I was a master thief, which ran in the Cooper family's blood. This Cutie Mark and my cane indicate that I am of of the Cooper Master Thief Clan. We specialize in stealing from only criminals. Besides, there's no honor, no challenge, no fun in stealing from ordinary people. But on the night I was going to inherit my family book, the Thievius Raccoonus, five enemies known as the Fiendish Five came to our house and killed my father, despite his best effort to protect us. They stole the Thievius Raccoonus and traveled around the world to commit dastardly crimes.

"Broke and alone, I was to be dumped at the town orphanage, where I met my lifelong buddies and trusted crew: Bentley and Murray. With their help, I succeeded in defeating the Fiendish Five and reclaimed the Thievius Raccoonus, while beating many other criminals that threatened the world along the way. Sure, I've had some hindrances along the way, like Ms. Carmelita Fox and her police squad, but I've managed to get past them all without batting an eye.

"But one night, when trying to steal a precious artifact known as the Crimson Diamond from my nemesis named Dmitri, the operation got botched, resulting in my death. However, in the valley of death, the Grim Reaper spoke to me, and told me that I was allowed a second chance at life as something else, so I chose this world. Thus bringing an end to my story."

All of them looked at Sly in shock, awe, and disbelief. Sly caught on to this and told them off about it. "You think I'm crazy... I can see in the look of your eyes, all of you. You think my story's impossible. I don't blame you, though: who wouldn't have been driven crazy by the horrors that I had seen? But I assure you all... every word of it is true."

There was a pregnant silence that followed after Sly finished speaking.

"Well, Sly," Twilight finally said, breaking the silence from carrying on any longer. "If you're new to Ponyville, I guess that means you deserve a tour of the town." She looked up at the sky through her circular window and saw the Sun glow orange as it sunk below the horizon and ushered in the night. "But it'll have to wait for tomorrow, I'm afraid."

"What?" blurted the coon-stallion. "But raccoons are noh... noh...nocturnal!" He tried and failed to suppress a huge yawn in the middle of his sentence.

"You're not a 'creature of the night' anymore, Sly," Rainbow said as she left with Pinkie, Rarity, Fluttershy, and the Apple sisters outside of the building that Spike, Twilight, and Sly now occupied.

"Rainbow's right, Sly," agreed Twilight as she levitated the suddenly tired master thief with her magic onto the guest bed that stood adjacent from her own bed. "You're a pony, and nothing else." She uncovered the covers and threw them over him. Sly wiggled around to get more settled into the mattress and in under a minute, he was sleeping like a newborn foal.

"Seriously, though, Twi," said Spike, getting comfortable in his own small basket bed, "You don't like him, like, 'like him' like him, right?

Twilight chuckled a bit at the dragon's question. "No, Spike," she answered as she got into bed herself. Spike, pleased by the response, turn away in his bed and fell victim to the hypnotism of slumber. Twilight sat up in her bed and gazed fondly at Sly. She liked his quiet breathing, his occasional ear twitch, and how his mask was turn to the side to block out unwanted light.

"Besides.. it's way too early for the that."


A-Stal (the author): Whew! So many things prevented me from making this chapter! Thank you, Kindle Fire! Anyways, sorry if some of you don't approve of the TwiSly romance (SlyLight sounded a little stupid), but you can't expect someone surrounded by mares his age to not have one of them go a little head over heels for him. I also apologize for if the chapter felt a little rushed.