• Published 16th Feb 2014
  • 3,212 Views, 173 Comments

Rainbow Connection - ahilty



Two worlds collide. Can Equestria and Dream Valley survive First Contact with each other? What happens when two ancient, similar evils rear their head to threaten two worlds?

  • ...
5
 173
 3,212

Chapter Twenty-Six

Chapter Twenty-Six


All around the battlefield the various groups from both Ponyland and Equestria began to gather around in clusters according to allegiance. Those that had willing followed Tirek fled, pursued by the reformed creatures of Dream Valley. The crabnasties, enraged at being used as pawns for an evil dictator, led the charge. Troggles, orcs and scree scattered, desperate to escape the clacking crab claws of justice.

In the wake of Twilight Sparkle’s fainting spell, something that was probably inevitable due to all the magic she had just done, Cadence had taken it upon herself to organize the allies of Ponyland into dealing with the wounded while the crabnasties pursued the remaining villains. She wasn’t sure what exactly the crab creatures were going to do to the ones they caught, but Galaxy assured her that these dangerous looking creatures were allies and good friends. That was enough for Cadence.

Shining Armor stuck close by her side, leaning a bit on her as Cadence watched over their allies. He seemed slightly shell shocked, trembling next to his wife and sort of staring out at the scene with wide, haunted eyes. Cadence leaned her cheek against Shining and gave him a soft nuzzle.

“Are you okay? You’re very quiet.”

“I…I was going to let that creature kill someone, Cadence. I didn’t even give it a second thought I…”. Shining’s gaze drifted to the ponies of Dream Valley. They stood in little clusters around their formerly corrupted friends, most of whom seemed just as shell shocked as Shining. Shining’s eyes, however, were focused on Draggle, who was sitting on a log next to Wind Whistler, petting her mane and whispering something in her ear. The blue pegasus had closed her eyes and taking in long deep breaths. She appeared to be attempting to meditate, but occasionally she would lean against the witch and mutter something at her. Megan, the young human girl, was at the other end of the log, fussing over the red locket that once housed the Rainbow of Light.

Cadence gave her husband another comforting nuzzle. “You weren’t in your right mind at the time.”

“I know but…”. Shining shock his mane and started trotting over to the log. “I should go apologize.

Cadence nodded and followed her husband, her eyes sliding to the side. She had expected the Changelings to try to run off with the rest of Tirek’s former allies, but they hadn’t. Maybe it was because they had ended up following Cadence. Either way, the small group of remaining Changelings huddled near the ruins, surrounding the crushed body of their queen, and muttering and chittering amongst themselves. All except one of the injured ones. That one was holding the young queen, cradling her close and keeping her turned away from her mother. Cadence couldn’t help but feel a bit of sympathy for them. She couldn’t imagine how she would feel if Celestia or Luna were killed in battle. Still, there was no telling what the insectoid creatures would do now that their queen was dead, and they were no longer in Equestria. For all she knew they were going to slip away to haunt the dark corners of Dream Valley, scavenging off the love of the people here. They might even try to impersonate the ponies here. So, while her husband was attempting to apologize to Draggle, who didn’t seem that interested in the stallion’s apologies, Cadence was turning her attention to the Changelings, ideas forming and swirling around her head.

The drones, once surmised to merely be pawns of their queen, were clearly intelligent enough to make their own choices and reason. The fact that they had been able to talk things out with here in the castle and come to an accord was proof of that. If they could be reasoned with then they could perhaps be befriended? A few days ago, Cadence would scoff at the concept of befriending Changelings, but wasn’t the proof that not all creatures raised evil would follow evil all their lives sitting in front of her husband right now, growling at him that he didn’t have to apologize and to please stop because his nattering was annoying to her?

“Hey, Heart-butt.”

Cadence winced as Draggle threw a piece of bark at her to get her attention. She blinked and looked fully at the witch, who jerked her staff at the Changeling cluster. “What are thinking of doing to them?”

Cadence blinked again, the seeds of an idea forming in her head starting to sprout with Draggle’s words. “I think- “

Shining tossed his head. “I think a one-way trip to Tartarus for the lot of them would be more than they deserve. After all the trouble they caused.”

“Even the child?” Wind Whistler opened her eyes and gave Shining a cold look. “The one that was just born?”

Shining stepped back and shook his head. “You’ve seen what they can do!”

“And I’ve seen what you can do.” Draggle snorted at Shining, whose mouth dropped open.

“Now wait a minute- “The stallion was getting steamed but Draggle cut him off again.

“See, you just gave me a nice long screed about how sorry you are for helping Tirek use me as a hostage, but the moment someone mentions creatures you don’t like, all of a sudden it’s throw them in…whatever Tarter sauce is.”

“Then what would you suggest we do to them?” Shining bellowed, pointing a hoof at the Changelings who, by now, had noticed all the screaming and pointing their direction. The one holding the baby queen suddenly turned to its fellows, chittering madly. Shining tensed and prepared to charge, but Cadence laid a wing on his back.

“Let me.” She said, and her husband gave her a pained look.

“But, dear…”

“I’ll be fine.”

Lowering her wings and walking slowly, trying to look the least bit intimidating as an alicorn can, which granted wasn’t easy even for the ‘the pink love one’, Cadence approached the Changeling Cluster.

“Please, let me talk to you.” She said, as loudly as she dared once in hearing range.

The baby minder suddenly thrust the queen into the biggest of the guard Changeling’s arms and limped over to her. The poor thing still had noticeable cracks in its chitin from being slammed into walls by Tirek and limped a bit as it approached. The big guard, however, looked at him in alarm and…concern? Cadence was a bit of an empath herself, seeing as how she was the Princess of Love. While she couldn’t create love from nothing, she could sense the love that was already there, and if she wasn’t imagining it that big guard felt concern for the injured one approaching her. Concern, the need to protect the smaller Changeling and…love? That was interesting. The Changelings did have love for one another, but there was something blocking it, as if they had never learned how to truly express and show that love.

Finally, the guard Changeling passed the queen to another Changeling and leaped forward, snarling. “Thorax! Get back here you idiot!”

“I have to try!” The injured one…Thorax said, looking over his shoulder. “Just, stay with the little queen, Pharynx.” The guard, Pharynx, ground his fangs angrily at Thorax, but the meek little Changeling squared his shoulders and faced Cadence with as much bravery as he could muster. “I need to talk to you.”

“Alright, lets talk.” Cadence tried to give Thorax a comforting smile.

“I…we’ve been starving for love for a long time. The last queen did her best, but there was never enough for all of us to go around. She gave us what she could, but there never was enough. We were starving, we all were. That’s why we attacked you. So many of us were going to die, and she told us it was the only way.”

Cadence frowned. She wasn’t so sure of that, but Chrysalis was dead. There was no way to truly tell what that creature had really thought, and if she was redeemable or not. It didn’t matter anymore. What mattered was the shattered remains of the hive she left behind. “If you had come to us and offered us your friendship, we wouldn’t have turned you away.”

“I-I want to believe that.” Thorax said. “I was at the attack on Canterlot. I saw how your friends shared their love and friendship with each other.” His voice lowered. “I wanted to find out if we could do that too. The others think I’m crazy, but I think it’s possible.” He paused, shuffling his hooves nervously. “Some of them want to run somewhere here, but everyone here knows what we are now, just like you in Equestria do. We only sided with the witches because they were going to give us Equestria if we helped him take over Ponyland. The queen would have all the love we could need and still have more left over. Now, she’s dead, and the baby queen won’t be able to take over the Hive for a few years. We have nowhere to go. I…think if you could show us how to share love, instead of taking it, we might have a chance. Most of the others don’t believe, but it’s either that, a slow death from starvation, or you throw us in Tartarus now.”

“I don’t like it. He’s crazy, but I do agree with don’t have a choice here.” Pharynx stomped over, taking off his helmet and throwing it aside. Cadence was amused to see that, in a sea of identical Changelings, this one had a unique coloration and head crest. She wondered if it meant something. “The wimp has a point. I’d rather the hive have to make nice with you pansy ponies then die off slowly.” Pharynx sighed and looked away from Cadence, as if admitting weakness physically hurt him. “I’m the best fighter in the hive. Hell, I’m probably the best fighter you’ll ever find. If you help us shelter the weaker members of the hive, I’ll make sure no one makes trouble in your little princess palace or whatever you call it. Who knows? Maybe you’ll like to play tea party with the wimp.” Pharynx smacked Thorax with a hoof, earning a wince and a sad look from Thorax.

These creatures weren’t like what Cadence has assumed they were like at all. They had all seemed to be the same when they had kidnapped her and when fighting the Elements. It seemed they were individuals after all, and there was at least one who wanted the learn friendship. She wondered if Twilight would have to start giving lessons.

“As long as you don’t hurt anypony, or any of our allies and friends, I see no reason why you can’t come back to Equestria with us. I’d even be willing to let you live in the Crystal Empire, as long as you don’t cause trouble.”

Thorax brightened his big buggy eyes growing wide and his mouth splitting into a wide smile. It was a rather adorable expression.

“Ummm, Cadence…can we talk?” Shining didn’t exactly glare at the Changelings, but he did very distinctly didn’t look at them. She nodded and walked a few steps away, out of earshot.

“Are you sure about this, you remember what they did?”

“Of course, I do. I’m not a fool, Shining, but that Draggle girl is right. That little one is just a baby, and they all are going to starve if we don’t help them. If the Ponylanders can let one of their ancient enemies into their home, why can’t we. Plus, the red and purple one says he fighter. Think of what the Crystal Guard can accomplish with him around.” Shining blinked at this argument and, after a few moments, gave Cadence a slow nod.

“We need to keep a close eye on them.”

“True, but it’s a chance we have to take.”

Shining sighed and finally nodded. “Alright. Let’s do it. I’ll support you all the way, Caddy.” He leaned forwards and gave her a quick kiss. “Let’s get back and see if Twili is awake yet.”

Cadence smiled at him and waved the Changelings over. After some nervous chittering and buzzing the remaining members of the swarm began to follow Cadence like the world’s spookiest looking ducklings. Someone passed the little queen back to Thorax, who was the only one of the group that seemed happy with this situation.

“They are going with you?” Galaxy split from the Ponylander cluster as they passed by, frowning with worry.

“Yes, we are going to teach them how to share love and friendship instead of stealing it.” Cadence grinned, purposely ignoring Pharynx’s scoff and Shining’s sudden interest in the tops of the trees.

“Good, I hope it goes well for you…ummm…is Princess Twilight awake yet? I need to ask her something.” Galaxy looked behind her, as Magic Star was approaching as well. The two of them shared an odd look, and Cadence could practically taste their tension and worry.

“What’s wrong?” She asked, but Galaxy shook her head.

“I’d rather talk to Twilight Sparkle alone.” Her eyes darted to Magic Star. “Mostly alone.”

Now very concerned, Cadence led them to where they had left Twilight with the other Elements. Rainbow was twisting her head to look behind her at her bright, restored rainbow mane. Rarity had somehow obtained a clean sheet from somewhere and was laying on it, exhausted from the purifying of the Heart but very pleased with herself overall. Somehow, their Spike had found a fan and was giving the mare a light fanning. Cadence smiled. Rarity deserved it after the feat she had achieved. Even Applejack seemed exhausted, though she chose to collapse in the dirt next to Rainbow, lightly teasing her about her brief foray into evil.

“Is Twilight alright?” Cadence asked. Applejack looked up and glared at the Changelings.

“Princess, ya got a bug problem.” The farm pony growled and got to her hooves. Even tired, she was still ready to fight.

“No, I don’t. They are coming with us. They’re going to be our friends now.” Cadence said firmly.

Applejack glared at the swarm. “Ya sure about that?”

“Yes! We just want to live. We don’t want to starve. I want to be friends! I’d really want to have friends!” Thorax limped up next to Cadence, giving Applejack a pleading look and ignoring his brother’s grumbles. Applejack studied the Changeling, then grunted.

“Ya’ll get one chance. Don’t waste it.” Applejack then leaned forwards and nudged Twilight. “Come on, Twi. We can’t lay here forever.”

Twilight mumbled and twitched her hooves. Cadence smiled, leaned down and said. “Twilight, the library is closing in fifteen minutes.” Twilight’s eyes popped open, and she leapt to her hooves, only to stumble and crash into Rainbow.

“LIBRARY!”

“…what have we gotten ourselves into?” Pharynx muttered. Cadence smiled and turned to the Changelings. “Let’s get out of earshot for a bit? Galaxy said she wanted to talk to Twilight alone.” She turned to Galaxy. “I’m going to make our goodbyes and meet the rest at the portal. Need to get the Changeling’s settled in and tell Aunt Celestia about this. She’ll want to know what happened.”

Galaxy nodded. “Thank you for everything.” The unicorn waited while Cadence herded the Changelings and her husband away, before turning to the Elements. “I really need to talk to Princess Twilight alone.”

“I mean, ya got her with ya.” Applejack nodded at Magic Star. “I don’t see why we can’t listen in. Promise we won’t interrupt.

Galaxy sighed and nodded. “I suppose that fine…Princess I need to know. Were exactly did you send Tirek?”

“I’m not sure. I never go the hang of that runic magic. I just wanted him gone so he wouldn’t hurt anypony else I mean…he killed that witch. I was afraid he was going to crush us all. I’m sure he went crazy because his spiritual makeup was unstable. It was an unbalanced combination of dark magic, and chaos magic and at least two souls. Maybe two souls and a memory of a soul. I just wanted it gone…why?”

“Because it took the Rainbow of Light with it.” Galaxy nodded towards where Megan was sitting, who was starting to look distraught. “Megan has been trying to get it to come back the locket, but she can’t. Normally it would be back by now, but there is no sign of it. That Rainbow is the only line of defense Paradise estate has. With it gone we are defenseless.”

“Oh no oh no oh no!” Twilight’s wings spread wide as she looked just as distraught as Megan. “I’m so sorry! I had no idea that would happen!” Twilight sat in a miserable heap of purple feathers. “What have I done!”

Applejack, Rarity and Rainbow all opened their mouths to say something, but Magic Star was the first to interject. “Like you said, if you hadn’t used that rune then many of us would have died. We aren’t angry with you.”

“Most of us aren’t angry with you.” Galaxy’s eyes darted to Truly, who was indeed giving Twilight a dirty look.

“Well, their ain’t nothing for it then.” Applejack got to her hooves and tossed her mane to the side. “We just are gonna havta be y’all’s line of defense. Least till Twilight here can find a solution.”

“Are you certain? That would be a lot to ask.” Galaxy said.

“Ain’t nothing to ask at all. We are friends now, ain’t we?” Applejack gave Galaxy a pat on the shoulder. “Besides, bet if y’all asked around most the folks around here would lend ya a hoof or paw or hand no questions asked. Heck, just saw most of em rush ta y’all’s defense in the past three days or so.” She smiled at the two Ponylanders. “Why y’all even think fer a second that you’re alone?”

“And with that mirror, any one of us can be here ready to kick some sorry flank in two seconds flat.” Rainbow fluttered her wings.

“We could move the mirror to Ponyville, make it more accessible. I bet I can convince Distance and any other researcher he has to study it more. Maybe we can make more mirrors. Or we can find more combinations. If we look around the multiverse with the mirror, we can find where the Rainbow of Light went and get it back. Or maybe find an artifact that is just as good for you.” Twilight’s eyes brightened at the thought of exploration, research, and the opportunity to find more friends in other dimensions.

Magic Star chuckled. “Ah, just like that one television show in Megan’s world. To boldly go where no pony has gone before.”

Twilight had no idea what she was talking about, but she eagerly nodded anyway. She had made a horrible mistake, but it would alright.

She would make it right.





Reeka glared at Rath as the skeleton man finished a…admittedly rather good depiction of her mother on a painted canvas. He was a fairly good artist, for a freaky skeleton that still insisted she call him Grandpa. It was nauseating, but she would go along with it. For now, he was the only one still willing to stick around her. The only family she had left. It was pathetic, really.

“What is that supposed to be?” She snarled at him.

“Found this stuff in the painting room. Used to carve these out in wood or stone, but I figured you’d want something more familiar. You can be grateful, just a bit.” He gazed at her with his spooky lights, and Reeka wished very much that he had a face. It was hard to tell his mood.

“Again, what is it?”

“What do you think those paintings in that room do. Why do you think they can summon your families’ spirits? I cannot bring you mother back to true physical form but…” Rath finished carving runes into the back of the painting. “We can summon her memory.”

Reeka blinked and tried to ignore the weird wetness at the corner of her eyes. Damn dust was everywhere. “You can?”

“Yes. Come with me.”

Okay, maybe the old bonehead wasn’t as useless after all. Reeka followed as…Grandpa took the painting to the room and hung it up next to the door. She looked from him to the painting. “What do I do.”

“Simply call her name. Surely you saw her do this before?” Rath asked.

“Yeah, just making sure. Get lost. I want to talk to her alone.”

“…it is not healthy to dwell on lost things.”

“BEAT IT!”

“…very well, child.” Rath left, not exactly slamming the door, but perhaps closing it with a bit more vigor then was required.





Two days later Reeka found him again, lurking in an old dusky corner of the volcano that had been closed off for as long as she remembered. It was a bare room with nothing but a single chair in the middle of a raised dais. Rath had sat on the ancient chair, light’s dim and staring at nothing. Long ago this would have intimidated Reeka, even scared her, but that was not the case anymore. She thumped his skull and was rewarded with a firm grip on her wrist and a sudden flashing of red light.

“I will tolerate much from you, girl, but you will not strike me. I am still the chief of this clan, regardless of how long I have been gone.”

“There is no clan. It’s just you and me.”

“Hence why I will tolerate much. Do you need something?”

“We are getting back at the ponies.”

“Was this your idea, or your mothers?”

“Shut up! I’m the only living witch left! I do what I want, and I want to spread as much misery and pain to those ponies as I can! They took everything from me, and you’re going to help me.” Reeka bellowed at the old skeleton, who simply gazed at her impassively. “Unless you have a better idea.”

“…once this was my throne. I met with the elders of our clan here. I gave orders, listened to complaints and problems. One by one they fell to darkness, and now, there is just you. I tried to make friends with the ponies, and in the end I could do nothing. There is nothing we can do. Perhaps our kin was doomed from the start. Perhaps this was inevitable. As the season change, so do dynasties, linages, and eras. The time of darkness in this land is past my child. Perhaps one day it will rise again, but you will not live to see it. I probably will not exist to see it as well. We are gone, my child. Perhaps we should go in truth.”

“…what?”

“Leave this valley. Forget the ponies. Forget your sister- “

“I have no sister!”

“Then it will be no trouble for us to go! Leave this place, find another dark corner of the land to rule, and forget the ponies! Let them have their reign, for it will not last forever! Nothing does.”

Reeka sneered at him. “Hydia at least deserves to have some justice. I won’t let them think they won without a fight!”

For a moment the lich stared at her. Then he nodded. “Misfortune you said?”

“Yes.”

“Tell me, girl, are you willing to pay the price for your revenge? There is always a price for these things. And you will always, always regret it.”

“Whatever it takes.”

“Go the cauldron room. I have something that will…help.”

Reeka grinned and left, ignoring how her ancestor’s gaze lingered on her as she left. For a few moments the lich stood in the darkness, listening to the voices of the dead.

After a few moments he left the chamber.

He would never return.




A week or so later…

Wind Whistler, Galaxy, Magic Star and Majesty were the first of the Ponylanders to stop through the portal. Instead of being greeted by the sights of Ponyville, or the castles of Canterlot or the Crystal Empire, they instead found themselves in a large crystal room, next to another portal mirror. They blinked in surprise but moved to the side so the rest of the ponies and their humanoid allies could walk through the portal and into the large room. Aside from the other mirror there were tons of ponies here from all around Equestria and the Crystal Empire, as well as a few Changelings.

Twilight Sparkle smiled and opened her wings. “Welcome back, friends!...so…umm, this is my castle.”

“You had a castle this entire time?” Danny asked, wide eyed.

“Umm, no. Funny thing.” Twilight rubbed the back of her head sheepishly. “You see, we had this problem with another Tirek. A Tirek from our world, unfortunately, so he didn’t have the Rainbow with him. We beat him though, thanks to Discord and the Tree of Harmony!”

“The tree of what now?” Draggle stared at them as if they had lost their minds.

“Well, you see thousands of years ago- “

“Aaaand I’m sorry I asked. Do you have an off button?”

Magic Star sighed and walked over to Twilight. “I’m interested in what happened.” Paradise, (who couldn’t resist any story that started a long time ago), Danny (who couldn’t resist a story with a fight), and a few others went over to hear about Twilight’s magical laser duel with another evil centaur with the same name as the one they just fought.

Meanwhile, Pinkie had bounced to Wind Whistler and Draggle, grabbing them both and hugging them, ignoring the witch’s struggles and Wind Whistler’s gasp for precious air. “I FINALLY get to throw you a Welcome to Ponyville party! Only, I guess it’s also a Victory Party! And a Bestest Interdimensional Alliance Ever party! You guys are going to love it!” Pinky leaned in close to Draggle’s ear. “I saved up all the old crusts and rotten fruit I could and made you the baddest pie ever!”

“…ya know, that does sound nice, but so does breathing. Please stop crushing my lungs, you lunatic!”

“Okie dokie lokie!” Pinkie bounced away from Draggle and Wind Whistler. “But I also want to introduce you to my sister and my friends Cranky Doodle and Matilda and…OVER HERE MAUD!”

“…we are both going to be deaf by the time we’re done.” Draggle rubbed her ear.

“I’ve lived with her for years and my hearings fine.” The dull grey mare that walked over. Draggle blinked as Maud just…stared with no expression. “Hi. I’m Maud. Pinkie is my sister.”

Draggle looked from Maud, to Wind Whistler, and back. Wind Whistler was blinking at Maud, or to be more precise Maud’s lack of any expression at all.

“Ummm, hello Maud. It’s very good to meet you.” Wind Whistler said, taken aback by a pony even more outwardly emotionless as she was always accused of being.

“…I like you. You’re quiet.” Maud said, ignoring as Draggle backed away, not sure if she should be laughing or not.

I should really introduce her to Gusty and Truly. Then they can talk to me about feelings.

“Do you like rocks?”

Or maybe not.





Celestia, who had found a separate room in Twilight’s new castle, picked up a teacup and smiled at her companion.

“A written-out treaty seems almost silly to me.” Majesty looked towards the door with a chuckle. “Almost redundant.”

“I know, but let’s be honest. It gives me a chance to enjoy tea with a friend.” And the nobles can’t complain about a diplomatic mission.

“Still, might be useful one day. Have the researchers from the Crystal Empire arrived?”

“Oh yes. They are working on cataloging a few sequences to try. I also hauled down the portal mirror to Canterlot High, in case it could also shine some light.” Perhaps one day she could…at least try to contact Sunset. Celestia didn’t want to go to a place where she knew a monkey double of her wandered around. Who knew what would go wrong, but perhaps it was worth the risk? She needed to take more risks in her life. Perhaps going to Ponyland had awakened a need for adventure that long slumbered within her? Regardless, it couldn’t hurt to be more proactive.

“I want a few of use to come over here fairly frequently, to help with the exploration of the new worlds. Some of our more adventurous friends. I honestly don’t think I could restrain Gusty with rope if I tried!”

“Or Rainbow Dash.” Celestia chuckled and raised her tea cup. “To friendship then?”

“Why of course.”

The two clicked their cups together.




Twilight folded her wings as she slipped out of the room and into the hallway that led outside of the room. She was a more friendly pony, but she was still an introvert at heart. She needed a break.

Turning to a staircase that led to a balcony over the large portal room, Twilight climbed until she could look down into the room. Initially she had thought to put the mirrors in the library, but with all the ponies that would be going back and forth she instead decided to use a large room in the castle she had not thought of a use for yet. In fact, so many of the rooms in this stupidly large castle had seemed useless to her. The Golden Oaks had been a perfect, cozy home, and this castle was not the Golden Oaks.

However, the more friends I make, here in Equestria and beyond, the more it will fill up. That can’t be a bad thing.

Twilight smiled down at the scene in front of her, determined to memorize it for the rest of her life. She could see Wind Whistler’s slight smirk as she introduced Maud to her rude friend Truly, who looked like she just saw a ghost. She hoped poor Maud wouldn’t get her feelings hurt, but then perhaps she wouldn’t care what Truly thought. Twilight could see Spike talking to his new friend Thorax and introducing him to Danny and Red Spike of Ponyland. The four were having a lively conversation, though Twilight couldn’t make it out. Gusty had found Thorax’s brother Pharynx, who now wore the armor of the Crystal Empire. The two were headed outside the castle, and a few moments later Twilight spotted Gusty through the window, eagerly charging Pharynx, who had transformed into a large insect form he favored. It looked like he was giving her a taste of his Monster Fighting Class he set up in the Empire with Shining as way to train the guards. After a few moments Rainbow and Applejack joined in on their sparring fun. Fluttershy was also outside the castle, talking to the small group of Stonebacks and hugging her original Stoneback friend. Big Mac was offering Fizzy a drink and a piece of cake from the table, and the unicorn was balancing the plate with her bubbles. One of the researchers from the Crystal Empire, a unicorn named Sunburst, was chatting away with Magic Star, no doubt discussing the portal with her.

Twilight took a deep calming breath. It was worth it. All of it. She never suspected that when she was a filly that she would not only find the Elements, defeat Nightmare Moon, become a princess, and discover an ancient kingdom from another universe full of strange and exotic creatures that hadn’t walked Equestria in thousands of years. And yet, here they all were. It was the most beautiful sight that Twilight had ever seen.

The future of Equestria, and Ponyland, was bright.

She was so happy watching the party below she didn’t notice the pair of eyes watching her from the dark. Planning.

Author's Note:

So, it’s been a while.

There are no excuses, just an explanation. I started on a different project. An original story was going to be great and wonderful and I was going to be a real author. I was going to come back to this story and finish it off, but I kept putting it off and putting it off. I still like My Little Pony and I still watched the show to the end, but I just wanted to write an original work.

Then I lost it.

Computer crashed, and the entire thing with poof. Then the Event happened, and I just took a few years to be depressed about it and thought that nothing I did or do was going to matter anyway. I just suck as a writer and nothing I write is good enough. Why bother?

I felt that way for a long time and let this story fade into the background. Then the comic came out. You know the one. I read it, liked it, and decided to revisit my story and…

It’s not as bad as I thought. I don’t think my story is good, but it’s not as bad as I thought. And I thought, it’s been years, no one will care if I really finish it. But maybe I’m wrong. Maybe you do.

So here it is, the end of the rainbow. I had planned to make more. Maybe I still will. I left a hint there might be more in the future. We will see. Maybe I’m not meant to be a real writer. Maybe I’m just supposed to be a fan ficcer. There are worse fates I guess. At least, maybe, I’m making someone out there happy.

If any of you are still with me, thank you. I’m sorry for the wait, but now you have the rest of the story.

For now.

Comments ( 6 )

I had forgotten about this, admittedly. It was a good chapter, here. being a fanficcer isn't so bad. :)

11043967
I am the fanfic writing zombie. Give me braiiiins

11044016
Forgotten or not I’m glad to hear from you. I just lost an entire original work with only a chapter and half I salvaged from an email I sent to someone to get feedback from years ago. Never got feedback from them either

A part of me wants to go ahead with my original plans I had for continuing this mess of mine. Had an idea of a kinda pony Stargate thing where the ponies encountered things like gen 3 or the tales cast while on the search for new friends and the missing Rainbow of Light. Might still do something like it but scale it waaay down. Like, mini episodes of a tv series rather than an epic adventure.

Not sure if I can include gen 5 as well. Could work as the gen 4 of the gen 5 world Is supposed to be the far future of the canon fim and not this fic. And we can see the ponies freak out and have Twilight do everything she can to avoid the bad future

11044301
Apple Blood is Apple Bloom's wrestling name. She was a little-known member of the Brood during the Attitude Era.

You are a good writer, dont doubt yourself. This story is positively delightful, and i think anything original you make would be just as good. Im glad to have read this

Login or register to comment