• Published 16th Feb 2014
  • 3,205 Views, 173 Comments

Rainbow Connection - ahilty



Two worlds collide. Can Equestria and Dream Valley survive First Contact with each other? What happens when two ancient, similar evils rear their head to threaten two worlds?

  • ...
5
 173
 3,205

Chapter Seven

Chapter Seven


Galaxy sighed as she paced around the outside of the Estate, weaving in between the main building and the nursery, ears pricked and ready for anything. She had a very bad feeling, and it just would not go away. She couldn’t sleep, couldn’t sit still, and couldn’t eat. She just felt twitchy and uncomfortable. She flicked her tail slightly, as if flicking off a fly, and snorted again.

“Galaxy, it’s the middle of the night.” Megan closed the door to the nursery and stepped out. “You should be asleep.”

Galaxy smiled. “So should you. Is Baby Gusty alright?”

Megan frowned gently and put a hand on Galaxy’s back, petting her. The pony knew very well that she did this mostly out of habit from raising non-intelligent ponies, and didn’t take offense. Besides, Galaxy suspected having something to pet gave Megan a bit of comfort.

“She’s worried about Gusty. I’m worried about her too…I’m worried about all of them.” Megan watched as Galaxy’s crystalline eyes scanned the horizon. “What are you looking for?”

“I’m uncertain. I just have a very bad feeling. A very very bad feeling. Like we’re surrounded by something that means us harm, but I can’t see a thing.” Galaxy raised a foreleg, and then put it back down. “It’s making it very hard to sleep.”

Megan frowned and looked in the direction that Galaxy was gazing. “Want me to stay with the baby ponies for a bit?”

Galaxy smiled. “Perhaps, Megan.”

“Hey” Megan smiled. “I don’t mind being the go to pony sitter.”

Galaxy was about to reply when the earth began to shake under her hooves. She gasped and backed up, and a huge horrible claw reached out of the earth. At first thinking this was a Stoneback, Galaxy gasped again as a pointed canine face followed the claw. The creature had small gems around its neck, pointed ears and fangs, and yellow eyes. It grinned and pulled itself out. Still more followed it. Eyes darting from side to side, Galaxy could see more holes popping out, and more of the strange canines emerging. They almost remained Galaxy of gorillas mixed with dogs, who for some reason wore jackets filled with small gems.

“Who are you? What are you?” Galaxy asked as the dogs began to slowly creep towards her and Megan.

“Diamond Dogs.” The lead creature grinned. “We want gems.”

“I’m sorry, we don’t have gems.” Megan said, backing towards the nursery.

“No, but small witch has gems. She said she give gems, if you come with us.” The lead Diamond Dog licked his lips hungrily. He creeped forwards, claws bared and ready to grab. “You come now.”

“Small witch…Hydia?” Megan clenched her fists.

“Yes.” The dog chuckled. “You come now!”

Galaxy snarled and stepped forwards, horn lighting up. She pointed the light at the Diamond Dog’s head, who screeched a bit at the sudden light. Galaxy screamed.

“Wake up! Wake up! We’re under attack!”

Megan suddenly darted to the side, scooping up a mallet that was lying on the ground, a leftover from a croquet game. Three Diamond Dogs, covered with armor, lunged for her, claws extended. Megan stood up and swung, hitting on in the ribs with her mallet. It grunted and was lifted of its feet, and slammed into the ground. The second leaped over his friend to claw for Megan’s eyes but she ducked and swung again, hitting the dog in the face. The last one managed to circle behind and raked its claws against Megan’s back, and the girl gasped in pain. Fortunately before it could do any real damage Galaxy lowered her horn and head butted the dog in the side, sending him flying.

She heard the galloping of hooves, and looked just in time to see Truly almost fly past her. Four Diamond Dogs clawed at the nursery door, and Truly set upon them like a battering ram. The prissy white pony, usually stuffy and full of herself, was clearly enraged by the sight of these things going after their children. She head butted the first, reared, kicking two more in the chest with her front hooves, and as they flew away, stamped her hooves and bucked the last to aside. She turned as the dogs got up and surrounded her, snorting.

“Not another step! Don’t you even THINK about touching our babies!” Truly glared defiantly at the dogs, pawing at the ground and tossing her head. The four dogs sprang, but were suddenly bum rushed by North Star, Lofty, Lickety-Split and Ribbon. The four mother ponies each slammed into a Diamond Dog, determined to protect their offspring within. The ponies were clearly more vicious and battle ready then the Diamond Dogs had thought, and the four at the door were thoroughly pummeled. They galloped away, whining and whimpering in pain. None would die from their wounds, but they would certainly remember this group of ponies!

“Get the babies out! Get them into the Estate!” Galaxy reared and kicked another dog in the teeth. “More of them are coming!”

And it was true, more dogs were appearing from the holes, leaping at the ponies as if this was the only strategy they had in their heads. Mere charging soon proved to be an easy enough challenge for the ponies. Megan, Truly and Galaxy backed up to the door, each defending as the four mothers piled into the nursery. Though they each had their own daughters here, each named after themselves, North Star, Lickety-Split, Ribbon and Lofty herded the rest of the children, along with Megan’s youngest sibling, Molly, into a tight formation. With two mothers at each side the group of them exited, still covered by the other three as they herded the baby ponies out the door. The Diamond Dogs rushed them, clawing and biting and attempting to take small chucks out of the ponies. One of them managed to get a hold of Truly’s ear, and would have ripped it out had Megan not given the mutt a stern mallet-to-face talking to.

Within the door to the Estate, Spike, Danny and Paradise covering the door in the same way the others had before. Danny was wielding a thick frying pan, bashing dogs on the head at each opportunity. Spike was launching fireballs, and Paradise was simply flailing at any dog that came within reach of her. Galaxy was impressed, as Paradise was most certainly not a fighter in normal times. Still, the gentle white pegasus was giving it her all.

Paradise and Spike stepped out of the way as the horde of ponies rushed into the Estate. Spike kept a stream of fire at their backs, holding the dogs off as he backed into the doorway, the last to cross the threshold. As soon as he was inside they slammed the door shut, Spike stopping his breath as the door closed. The small pink dragon panted.

“What are those things?” He asked.

“They called themselves Diamond Dogs. Paradise, North Star have you heard of them?”

Paradise shook her head. “Not in any story I’ve heard.”

“I never encountered any on my travels either.” North Star said.

“They’re apparently working with Hydia.” Galaxy said. “They want to exchange us for gems.”

“What! Why those awful brutes! How could they do something like that!” Truly edged closer to the babies in a protective manner. The dogs would have to go over her dead body to get to the foals!

“I don’t know, but I’m not going let them get through.” Megan said, hefting her mallet. She nodded as Danny stepped beside her, firm grip on his frying pan.

Galaxy looked at the ohers. “We need to board up the windows and doors. Now.” As she said this they could here the dogs starting to claw at the building. “Now, go!”

Ponies scattered, two to a window or a door, building up barricades by shoving furniture against them, using magic or hooves whenever they needed. Galaxy snorted. She knew this was not going to last.

All of a sudden a collection of fuzzy bright colored fluffs bounded up around her hooves. She looked down and smiled. “Bushwoolies, you think you can slip past the dogs?”

The blue one, who seemed to be a leader of sorts, although since bushwoolies seemed to operate on a hive mind it was unclear if he was a leader in the traditional sense, uncurled and nodded. “Yeah, we can.” The others chimed in with variations on his words, most of them one syllable agreements.

“Can you go tell the Flutter Ponies and the Grundles we need some backup?” Galaxy asked. “We can’t stay boarded up in the estate forever.”

“Yeah yeah!”

“Right! Of course!”

“Find Flutter Ponies! You got it!”

The bushwoolies re curled into their ball like state, and bounced for a handy window. Buttons helpfully moved the dresser against the window away with her telekinesis, and the bushwoolies bounced out.

The Diamond Dogs, having never seen a bushwooly before, were taken aback, and a few sprinted for the brightly colored bouncing balls, barking in joy. If there was one thing they liked more then gems it was chasing funny things! The dogs ran for the bushwoolies, who simply bounced away at top speed, rolling past the dogs, and occasionally bouncing off a head, to escape in the brush. They didn’t slow down their rolling, instead turning towards Flutter Valley.

Most of the Diamond Dogs returned, the lure of gems more important then chasing fuzzy things. The Diamond Dogs studied the house, scratching their heads.

“Not sure what big deal is. Only want to meet friend.” The lead Diamond Dog shrugged. “Pony’s strange here…”




Reeka scoffed. “And you call me stupid? Those mutts don’t even know what we want with the ponies!”

“For once I don’t need them to actually hurt the ponies. Those mutts have gems on the brains! But they’ll keep the ponies distracted.” Hydia waved her hand over the pool, switching targets. “Meanwhile, while they are either chasing the Equestrians or dealing with dumb dogs, you are going to get what we need from Midnight Castle. Just a bit longer.”

“You had best not mess up my future form. I’ve heard about the Smooze incident.” The shadowy, vague pony shape slithered close to the viewing pool, glaring at Reeka with its creepy yellow eyes. Reeka just sneered at it. It didn’t scare her, no matter what it was.

“I don’t have anyone to get in my way this time.”

“Just make sure you get back here fast. I’m getting impatient.” The shadow form snarled. It turned its eyes to Hydia. “The spell is ready?”

“As soon as we get the last few ingredients, it will be.” Hydia turned to her daughter. “Get moving.”

Muttering something about there better not being any carnivorous plants in her future, Reeka stomped towards the exit and was soon gone. The shadow turned towards Hydia. “Your children are very disagreeable.”

Hydia didn’t answer it.



Celestia made a mental note to herself: no matter how powerful an alicorn you were, backup was a good thing. A very good thing. She supposed that, after a thousand in years in a relatively peaceful land, where the only issues had been few, if clustered together. Nightmare Moon, which she had only had to observe to make sure Twilight was safe, and the unicorn hadn’t been aware of it. Discord, again taken care of by the Elements of Harmony. Chrysalis’s first invasion, which had been beaten by…well by her own inability to realize the very force that she fed on, could be turned against her. But then again Celestia supposed that it was the equivalent of being smashed in the face by a particularly deadly pie.

However, the fact that she was currently trapped in a cage, with her horn’s magic on the fritz, and having been drained by the shadow, and Chrysalis, wasn’t what was really bothering her right now. She knew with time she would either get out herself, or Twilight and the others would show up. The thing that was really bothering her was the sleeping creature next to her in the next cage over.

Slowly the other prisoner opened her eyes, and Celestia coughed. The other turned her head and blinked.

“…what are you?”

“You don’t remember me?” Celestia asked.

“I’ve never seen you before in my life. That black thing has been draining my energy, not my wits.”

“Are you not Queen Majesty?” Celestia frowned softly. The unicorn beside her was indeed the spitting image of her old friend. She had thought that the original queen would be dead, but the resemblance was uncanny, and unicorns could live a long while. Who knows what magical affliction could be affecting her?

The unicorn chuckled. “I haven’t been called queen in a while, I hardly qualify for the title. But I am Queen Majesty, the third. The third, and the last.”

“The last?” Celestia blinked.

“Yes. I’ve had no babies, save for the foals I adopted. Who and what are you?”

“Princess Celestia. Did your ancestors keep no records of Equestria?”

“Records! Ha…we were lucky to survive for the past thousands of years…stupid witches though…they thought that they could cause me despair by showing me what my children have been doing, but…the queendom may be no more, but they are surviving. In fact, they are thriving. But, as for Equestria, I haven’t heard of it.” Majesty slowly lifted herself up into a sitting position. She did not have the height and thinness of Celestia, in fact for all appearances she was a normal looking Ponylander, but there was a hint of her royal linage in the way she held herself.

Celestia, watching the unicorn with some concern, told her about Equestria, the history between the two world, her sister and her redemption, and the recent events. Majesty listened, but Celestia was not certain how much of her story the queen was buying.

“That’s…a bit to take in.” Majesty eyed her, as if she didn’t quite trust Celestia just yet.

Celestia allowed a bit of silence to settle in, as the unicorn contemplated the other side of the wall. Eventually, Celestia’s curiosity couldn’t take much more.

“How did you end up here?”

“Do you know Tirac?”

“A centaur, and evil one, that was imprisoned by your ancestor a thousand years ago, for horrible crimes.” Celestia replied, frowning.

“Our stories say, what little they do say of you, tell that one day a great evil crept from your world, and gave Tirac the power of eternal night. My ancestor deactivated the rainbow gate, but Tirac had grown to powerful. She stole the Rainbow of Darkness from him, and fled with it and her subjects across the sea, with the aid of the Sea Ponies. A thousand years passed, and the Rainbow of Darkness seemed to remain dormant, protected by my kind. We tried to find ways to destroy it, but to no avail. By the time I was born, however, the Rainbow began to become active. It brought misfortune to us. We tried to contain it, but many ponies began to either lose their lives, or their hearts, to the darkness. In the end I was left with only a few faithful courtiers, and many orphaned or cast aside foals. I felt that the answers lay in our original homeland, that perhaps we could find a way to destroy the rainbow. I thought Tirac must be dead. He was not. He did not attack right away, but left the aggression to the witches of this volcano. We were unprepared when he struck, about five years into our move. I fought him off, but I failed. While I was able to beat him back, he damaged me very badly, and took the rainbow for himself once more. He gave me to the Gloom witches, who kept me around to draw magic from me. As an act of revenge he planned to us my children to draw his carriage to bring about the night that never ends. However, thanks to several of my old friends, Twilight Unicorn, Applejack, Firefly, Medley and a human named Megan, they found the thing that could stop the Rainbow of Darkness, the Rainbow of Light. Tirac is dead.” She grinned. “I can be happy about that.”

“How long has Chrysalis been around?” Celestia asked.

“The bug? A few months. She has been feeding off me. I am not sure what, or how. It feels different then from when Hydia takes my magic.”

“She is the Changeling Queen, they feed on love.” Celestia said. “Most likely she has fed off your love.”

“…that’s probably why she keep gloating about my feelings towards my children.” Majesty snorted.

Celestia blinked. So they hadn’t been feeding of Majesty’s romantic love, but instead the motherly love she felt for her subjects…no her children. It was clear that this queen was close to her kin. They shared something, it seemed.

“We will get through this, I promise you…how many witches are there?”

“I know that Hydia’s mother is dead. She is the one who originally took me, but she was old. Hydia has daughters of her own, but I have only seen the one called Reeka…and only very recently. I think she feared her offspring would let me loose somehow.”

Celestia nodded. “We will just have to think so something, shall we?” Celestia smiled gently at Majesty.

Majesty blinked, then smiled back. “I suppose we must.”




Apple Bloom, Scootaloo and Sweetie Bell jumped at the sudden booming noises came from the courtyard. The three of the hunched closer to the table and Far Stride suddenly sprang to his hooves and rushed to the door. He peeked out and stamped, turning his head. “We got scree!”

Scorpan stood up and picked up his sword. “Far Stride, take the little ones to Catrina, have Rep take them Bright Valley. Scree can’t fly.” He took long strides over to the door, and Far Stride turned and headed for the CMC.

“Now wait, who said we was leavin’?” Apple Bloom asked. She was not quite sold on the fearsome nature of the Scree. That was until one of them burst through the door, clawing at Scorpan’s arm.

The creature did indeed resemble a large ostrich, with nasty long claws and a sharp beak. Scorpan turned and swung his sword at the bird, slamming its head into the wall with the flat of his blade. “Go! Now!”

“Hurry girls, run!” Far Stride nudged them towards the door with his nose, and the four of them ascended the stairs. They finally barged into Catrina’s chambers. Standing in the middle of the room was a huge green bird, to whom Catrina was attaching three small baskets to the back. The bird fluttered his wings.

“Are these them?” He asked.

“Yes. Better get out before the scree know you’re here.” Catrina finished tying down the last basket.

“Hi girls, I’m Rep, nice to meet you.” The bird smiled at them in a friendly way.

“Hi!” Apple Bloom leaped into a basket and introduced herself and her friends. “Thanks for the lift!”

“No problem. I owe ponykind.” Rep grinned as he walked towards the window.

“We both do.” Catrina gave Rep a small pat on the head. “Fly safe.”

“I’ll always come back to you, Catrina.” Rep said, and Scootaloo gagged, while Sweetie Bell grinned at the two.

“Say bye to the prince for us, okay!” Apple Bloom waved at Far Stride, who for some reason was grabbing some potions in his mouth. The horse turned his head and nodded and galloped down the stairs.

“Duck.” Rep hopped on the windowsill and spread his wings. He seemed to fall forwards, and caught a breeze with his wings. He flapped, and soon the group was soaring through the air. Apple Bloom looked down and saw that the scree had set up a pair of catapults against the keep walls. One of the birds stepped on the catapult, ducked its head, and turned into a giant egg shaped rock. The other scree pulled the lever, and the egg rocked scree flew over the keep’s wall. So that is how they got in!

Apple Bloom watched the keep slip away from them as Rep soared even higher. Scootaloo had a big grin on her face, like she did most every time some other pony took her flying.

“Look at that, you can see the crystal desert from here.” Rep said. “Bright Valley is only a few hours away!”

“It’s quite a sight…but…” Apple Bloom scanned the horizon. A huge volcano loomed in the distance, beyond the desert they were skirting. Looking north she could also see the forest, and a small valley beyond it. Looming to the north was a purple expanse of mountains. She looked further south, and saw the sea.

Suddenly, Rep jerked in midair.

“What it is?” Apple Bloom asked.

“Down there, take a look.” Rep was no longer soaring, but hovering in place.

Apple Bloom looked down and saw the ruins of a castle on the surf. The place looked…darker, grimier then the fort they just came from, despite the simplify of Scorpan’s kingdom. It had a forbidding, sinister feel, a feel that Apple Bloom didn’t like at all.

“What is that?”

“Midnight Castle. In ruins since the ponies beat its evil master, Tirac. But look at what is parked on the shore?”

Apple Bloom looked down at the shore. Parked there was an odd ship, with a birdlike wooden prow and a sail that…looked like it was in two circular lumps. It was very particular looking, and Apple Bloom didn’t know what to make of it.

“Yeah, what it is?”

“That’s a Gloom witch ship.” Rep said, troubled.

“Never heard of em.”

“You must come from pretty far away then.” Rep said. “They’re not a nice group, and they can’t be down there doing something good.” He flapped his wings to speed up. “Sorry, but we don’t have time for sightseeing now. I got to get you there, and come back and see what the witches are up to!”

“Hey, we can help!” Scootaloo protested.

“No way! You’re just kids!”

“Actually, we’re fillies, not goats.” Apple Bloom corrected. “And if’n them witches are as bad as ya say, then what if they ain’t there when ya circle back? What if yer too late to stop em.”

Rep sighed. “Well…they aren’t very smart…” Rep folded his wings and turned around. “But if it gets to dangerous I’m pulling you out.”

Rep landed in a portion of the ruined courtyard, the same place that, unbeknownst to the small group, had been the site of the battle between the Rainbow of Light and the Rainbow of Darkness. Rep ducked behind some rocks and the fillies jumped off. To their shock Rep shook off the baskets and suddenly transformed into a much shorter, lizard like being.

Apple Bloom gasped and backed away. “Yer a Changeling!” She hissed.

“What?” Rep looked at her. “No, I’m a chameleon. What’s a Changeling?”

“Yer a monster that feeds on love! Yer kind tried ta take over Canterlot!”

“Feeds on…what? I eat normal food! How does eating love work anyway?” Rep blinked at them.

Apple Bloom spun and ran. Showed her for trusting weird creatures! The other two followed, and Rep hissed at them.

“No! Wait! Stop!”

Apple Bloom was so busy looking over her shoulder she didn’t notice the person in front of her before she collided with it. She looked up and blinked. Reeka, who had something in a bag, scowled down at the small pony.

“Er…hi?” Apple Bloom backed up. She didn’t like the look on this human’s face. Not one bit. She liked it even less when the witch lifted her hand, formed a ball of flame, and tossed at her. Apple Bloom darted away, followed by Sweetie Bell. Scootaloo leaped the other direction, tiny wings whirring to help her speed.

“Ah! Stop! We don’t wanna fight!” Scootaloo screamed.

“Oh? Then sit still so I can roast you!” Reeka laughed and fired another fireball.

“We ain’t done nothing!” Apple Bloom protested.

“You’re ponies! It’s enough for me!” Reeka cackled again as she launched fireball after fireball at the little fillies, clearly determined to roast them all. Apple Bloom tripped over a bit of rubble and rolled. She looked up to see a ball of flame heading right for her. She screamed, and something green leapt between her and the fire. The thing yowled in pain, and Apple Bloom looked up.

Rep, in the form of a very large, very green tiger, looked down at her. “East…run.” He snarled at Reeka, who laughed at him. Rep crouched and lunged, claws swiping at Reeka. Reeka ducked and swung another fireball at Rep’s flank. Rep roared in pain, and charged, this time knocking Reeka over and rolling her on the ground. “Run girls! Run!” Rep roared.

Scootaloo galloped to Apple Bloom and nudged her to feet. “Come on, run!”

“But…Rep…” Apple Bloom blinked.

“I’ll catch up, now go!” Rep shouted as he slashed at Reeka. Apple Bloom stamped, torn between helping the changeling creature, and running. Sweetie Bell galloped up, eyes wide and terrified, and Apple Bloom knew they had to get away. The three of them ran, jumping over the walls to the ground and began to speed down the path.

Apple Bloom stopped and looked back, expecting Rep to be right there with them…but all of a sudden a massive fireball erupted from the old castle, and Apple Bloom heard something shriek, and it wasn’t the witch. She gapped until Sweetie Bell tugged on her shoulder.

“Apple Bloom, come on!”

“It can’t…he can’t…”

“Apple Bloom! Move!”

“He…he…”

“Apple Bloom!”

Apple Bloom felt Scootaloo come at her from behind and start to push her from behind. Working on autopilot she forced her legs to move.

Out fault…all our fault…the words rolled around her mind, even as her friends guided her to the east.




Despite the situation, Applejack felt herself becoming much more cheerful now that they were not only on the right track, but had company through this ordeal. And that they could actually talk to said company.

“So, if you don’t mind me being forwards.” Rarity, who was just as interested in the alien ponies as Applejack, smiled at Sweet Stuff. “What do you ponies do all day? Do you have jobs?”

“No-not-really-well-Gusty-wants-me-to-help-her-pratice-her-battle-plans-and-I-do-soemtimes-it’s-alright.” Whizzer shrugged.

“I haven’t decided what I want to do yet…Gusty wants me to help her to…but I don’t know…” Sweet Stuff ducked her head.

“Ya-know-no-one-is-going-to-think-less-of-you-if-you-decide-not-to.” Whizzer said.

“Oh I know…”

“Ah would have thought ya would be doin’ something involvin’ candy.” Applejack said, confused. “Ah mean, ya don’t look like you have a warrior Cutie Mark.”

“A what?” Sweet Stuff looked at her, puzzled.

“Cutie Mark. Ya know, the thing on yer flank?”

“Oh! My symbol!” Sweet Stuff gave her symbol a smile. “Maybe. But like I said, I haven’t decided what I want it to mean yet.”

“But…didn’t you earn it when you found your passion?” Rarity asked, puzzled.

“Earned…oh no, I was born with it. It’s why they named me Sweet Stuff."
Sweet Stuff replied.

“Ya mean ya didn’t earn yer Cutie Mark?” Applejack said, baffled.

“Earn…how do you earn a symbol?” Sweet Stuff asked.

“Yeah-if-you-don’t-have-a-symbol-means-you’re-another-breed-right?” Whizzer asked. “Nothing-wrong-with-that-of-course.”

“Well, in Equestria young foals earn their Cutie Marks when they find their one true passion in life. For example –my- passion is designing and making clothes, and I do it by using gems and other such beautiful things. When I discovered my passion I got my Cutie Mark.” Rarity pointed to the three diamonds.

“And Ah got mine when I realized my true place was with my family at our farm!” Applejack said.

“Ha-that’s-odd.” Whizzer paused. “Our-foals-are-usually-born-with-their-symbols-most-of-the-time-that’s-how-they-get-named-if-they-don’t-look-like-their-parents.”

“I was born with these gumdrops, so they called me Sweet Stuff, guessing I would like candy. I kinda do, but I’m not sure I want to make or sell it or anything. Haven’t decided, like I said.”

“And-they-knew-I-would-be-fast-so-they-named-me-Whizzer.” Whizzer said.

“That just seems confusing. How do you figure out what ya’ll’re supposed ta do if ya don’t earn a Cutie Mark?” Applejack asked.

“Well-the-symbols-give-some-hint-but-it’s-not-always-exact.”

“How do you mean?” Rarity asked.

“Wind-Whistler-for-one. Her-symbol-is-whistles-but-she-doesn’t-do-a-lot-of-whistling-or-couching-or-really-anything-invovling-whistles.”

“What does she do then?” Applejack asked.

“She’s-a-professional-grump.” Whizzer chuckled.

“She’s not that bad.” Sweet Stuff frowned at Whizzer.

“Aww-I-know-trust-me.” Whizzer shrugged. “Wish-she’d-loosen-up-a-bit-sometimes-afraid-she’ll-snap.”

“I don’t think she’ll snap.” Sweet Stuff said, looking at the other two. “She’s actually very nice.”

“But she doesn’t do anything associated with her Cutie Mark…er, symbol?” Rarity asked, trying to wrap her head around this.

“No-sometimes-when-we-play-she’ll-get-all-twitchy-about-the-rules-but-I-wouldn’t-call-it-her-job.” Whizzer shrugged again. “She-didn’t-do-that-when-she-was-a-filly.”

“Well a lot of us aren’t the same ponies we were as fillies.” Rarity noted.

“Yeah-I-guess…” Whizzer said. “Either-way-we-are-born-with-our-symbols-we-don’t-earn-them.”

“Really weird.” Applejack shrugged. “But I guess to each his own…”

“Wonder-what-other-things-are-different…” Whizzer asked.

“Well, can ya manipulate the weather?” Applejack asked.

“I-what-now?” Whizzer asked.

“Ah just noticed that there’re no pegasi workin’ the clouds. Don’t ya manipulate the weather?”

“Who-could-do-that-it’s-the-weather?” Whizzer asked, puzzled.

“I suppose that’s another difference.” Rarity shrugged.

“How does it work?” Sweet Stuff asked, puzzled.

“They sorta push clouds around with their hooves…Ah don’t know, I ain’t no pegasus.”

“That-sounds-silly!” Whizzer laughed.

“But how do you manage nature if you can’t control the weather. It is sort of a vital part.” Rarity asked. The two Ponylanders stared at her.

“…manage…nature?” Sweet Stuff blinked. “Nature takes care of itself, it doesn’t need us.”

“So…you don’t take care of your world? But who raises the sun and the moon? And who changes the seasons?” Rarity asked.

“They-do-it-themselves-it-doesn’t-work-like-that-in-your-world?”

“Oh no, not at all. In our world Princess Celestia raises the sun and Princess Luna raises the moon! Pegasi take care of the sky and earth ponies take care of the land. We unicorns use our magic to take care of anything else.”

“Your magic must be very powerful.” Sweet Stuff blinked.

“Oh well, I don’t need that much magic. I could control the clouds if I want, but I chose not to.”

“…you call that not much?” Sweet Stuff blinked.

“Well, can’t your unicorns…well I guess not if you don’t need to change the seasons. What kind of magic do your unicorn’s have?” Rarity asked.

“All-unicorns-can-wink-out-and-they-usualy-have-some-personal-magic.” Whizzer said.

“What’s winking?” Applejack asked.

“Going-from-one-place-to-the-other-in-a-blink.” Whizzer said.

“Oh, like teleportation.” Rarity said. “I can’t do that spell, it’s to complicated for me.”

“So you can’t wink at all?” Sweet Stuff said, startled. “…maybe I should play tag with you next time…”

“I’m surprised they can teleport to any place they can, but they can’t control the weather.” Rarity said.

“Oh-winking-isn’t-that-powerful-they-can’t-move-through-solid-objects-and-it’s-short-ranged-not-sure-what-the-exact-range-is.” Whizzer said.

“Oh…well that makes more sense.” Rarity said. “So what other things can they do?”

“Well-Galaxy-can-make-heat-with-her-horn-Ribbon-is-telepathic-Buttons-can-move-things-Gusty-makes-gusts-of-wind-Fizzy-can-make-bubbles-they-do-all-sorts-of-things.”

“That is quite the variety.” Rarity said. “Ummm…where are we going?”

“I-thought-we-should-pass-through-the-Crystal-Desert-it’s-hot-but-we-have-a-friend-there-gotta-watch-out-for-the-goblins-though-can-you-make-light-at-all-Rarity?” Whizzer looked at Rarity.

“Well, I can.”

“Oh-good-nothing-to-worry-about-then!”

“Why?” Rarity asked.

“Goblins don’t like light.” Sweet Stuff said.

“We didn’t bring any water to get through the desert though.” Applejack said.

“It’s alright, the crystals there will give water if you make a hole in them.” Sweet Stuff said. “Megan and our other friends found that out when they first visited Niblik.”

“Who’s Niblik, is he your friend?” Rarity asked.

“He’s-a-troll-but-he’s-a-nice-guy-to-us-cause-we-found-a-friend-for-him…still-might-need-ta-pay-the-toll-for-his-bridge.”

“I have some bits.” Rarity levitated a small wallet out of her saddlebag and lifted some coins out “Will they do?”

Whizzer looked over and examined them. “Never-seen-coins-like-that-they’d-probably-be-rare-here-so-sure!”

A few hours later the group was deep inside the desert, and had already taken two water breaks. Whizzer was sure the place was even hotter then before, despite the fact that the rain now fell on Dream Valley. Still, Whizzer remembered the way from when she and Megan had flown here, and was not deterred. She even managed to flap up in the sky, carefully with her sore wing, to look around and get their bearings.

“Well, this place isn’t so bad.” Rarity said. “Still abominably dirty, but…”

“Aww Rarity it’s the outside, of course it’s dirty.” Applejack sighed at her friend.

“It’s very inconsiderate!” Rarity said.

“…inconsiderate…of the outside.” Sweet Stuff blinked, and leaned over to whisper in Applejack’s ear. “Is she always like this?”

“All the time.” Applejack rolled her eyes.

After the break the four of them had only a few more hours to go. Now they were passing through a canyon, which Whizzer claimed was only a few trots away from Niblik’s bridge. Applejack was starting to worry a bit, if only because she was sure they should have come across some sort of opposition by now. This trip was going way to damn easy and…

As if some karmic god watching down on them was reading Applejack’s thoughts, she heard something above her. Applejack looked up and blinked. Small blue creatures lined the sides of the canyon, pushing huge boulders to the edge, and rolling them down the canyon sides. Applejack reared.

“Run ya’ll!” She started to gallop. Whizzer and Sweet Stuff took one look up each and ran to catch up with her, Rarity following behind. Rarity’s horn began to glow as she started to deflect the boulders getting to close to her and the others. Using her magic she knocked each one back, but the effort started to make her pant. She slowed, the effort of hurling so many boulders up into the air. She gasped as her horn’s light faded, and screeched to a halt as a boulder landed in front of her, blocking her from the others.

“Stupid rock!” Rarity was really starting to hate rocks. A lot.

Whizzer suddenly flew over the rocks, and Rarity blinked. She had thought the pegasus’ wing was still injured. Still, she dove for Rarity. Rarity eeped a bit as Whizzer wrapped her legs around Rarity’s waist and lifted her up in the air. She dove and dodged, avoiding the falling rocks and lifting herself upwards. Rarity felt Whizzer’s bobbing in the air, as if she was lopsided. Rarity looked up and gasped. Whizzer’s injured wing was flapping slower and stiffer then her other wing. Whizzer’s face was pinched in pain, and her eyes were squinting. Whizzer spread her wings wide and soared, dodging a few more rocks as she went.

“Dear, you can let me down you-“

“Notimeit’salright” Whizzer wheezed out, folding her wings and diving. Rarity looked ahead and noticed a canyon, with a bridge crossing it, and a house on a small mesa in the middle. Applejack and Sweet Stuff were already across, and Applejack had turned, eyes wide as she watched Whizzer dive in with Rarity in her hooves. She blinked and turned to go into the house as Whizzer blew through the door, dropping Rarity in the middle of the floor. Whizzer attempted to stop herself, but ended up rolling on the floor and crashing into the wall.

“…thathurt…” She gasped.

“You ponies alright?”

Rarity blinked and raised her head. The creature in front of them was short, round and actually fairly ugly. It scratched its head with its long arms, snorting slightly.

“Hi-Mr-Niblik.” Whizzer said as she righted herself. “We’re-kinda-in-a-fix-here.”

“What happened?” Niblik asked as he righted a table that somepony had knocked over.

Whizzer launched into a fast paced explaination of the situation. Niblik listened, occasionally rubbing his chin. After Whizzer was done Niblik looked outside his door.

“Well, long as you have something for the toll you can stay here until the goblins go away.” Niblik shrugged. “Hate to charge you ponies, but I do still have to make a living. Won’t ask you for anything to expensive though…”

Rarity adjusted her mane, or tried to. She pulled her wallet out of her saddleback and placed it on the table. “Well I have this from mine and Applejack’s homeland. They’re the local currency. They’re called bits. How about this.”

Niblik opened the wallet and nodded, taking one of each type of bit. “This’ll do.” He walked over to a small chest and placed the coins inside. He then walked to another room, and called back. “I’ll get you something to eat, just make yourselves at home.”

“Gee, thanks Mr. Niblik.” Sweet Stuff smiled and sat down next to Rarity, nuzzling her as if trying to comfort. “Are you okay?” She asked softly.

“Oh, I will be alright, darling, don’t worry about me.”

“That was really brave.” Sweet Stuff said gently.

“Think nothing of it. Anyone would do it.” Rarity smiled back at Sweet Stuff. She looked at Whizzer. “Are you alright, dear?”

“Just-peachy.” Whizzer grinned at Rarity, wings slumped and exhausted. She looked up as Niblik brought them some soup. “Hey-where’s-your-roommate?”

“he had to run an errand. He’ll be back.” Niblik said, and Applejack smiled at him as he gave her a bowl. She sniffed the food and then she noticed an odd tic at the corner of the troll’s mouth. She watched him closely as he gave some of the soup to Rarity and Sweet Stuff. The two of them dug in with abandon, but Applejack noticed Whizzer giving Niblik an odd look as well. She looked up as he gave her a bowl.

“Hey-do-you-mind-giving-me-water-I’m-kinda-tired.” She said, and Niblik smiled and nodded to her. He headed back into the kitchen as Whizzer lowered her head near the bowl. As soon as he had turned his back, Whizzer suddenly picked up her bowl and dumped the soup outside. Applejack trotted over, carrying her bowl, she dumped hers out as well.

“Ya getting the same funny feeling I am, sugarcube?” She lowered her voice.

“Why-would-anyone-be-out-with-those-goblins-and-why-isn’t-he-worried-they-are-good-friends-there-is-something-wrong.”

“Why whatever do you two…oh…” Rarity wobbled and slumped to the ground, snoring gently. Sweet Stuff eeped and slid to the ground next to her. Whizzer looked at Applejack. “Playdead?”

“Play dead.” Applejack curled up on the ground next to Whizzer, closing her eyes and pretending to sleep.

She heard Niblik returning. For a moment she could feel the troll hovering over her, and then heard him sigh.

“I don’t want to do this…I’m so sorry, ponies…”




Queen Rosedust, leader and monarch of the Flutter Ponies, paced around the base of the Sun Stone, her wings fluttering in agitation. Honeysuckle, a pink Flutter Pony, landed near her.

“We still can’t find Morning Glory at all!” Honeysuckle said. “I’m getting really worried, you know how…well how gentle she is. And I can’t find Wind Whistler or Gusty either.”

“Something has happened. The other ponies went off to look for their other friends, or to go home, but…Morning Glory was attacked, and now has vanished.” Rosedust shook her head.

“You don’t think that witch has something to do with it?” Honeysuckle asked, her eyes narrowing.

“Draggle…perhaps. I don’t trust witches. But three years is a long time to planning something…” Rosedust paused and thought.

“She was with Morning Glory and some of the other missing ponies before they vanished. And Wind Whistler is far to trusting of her.” Honeysuckle growled a bit. The aggressive Flutter Pony had never liked Draggle, though to be fair many Flutter Ponies, who were never the most open of species, didn’t trust her either.

Rosedust was about to reply when several fluffy things bounced into the meadow and rolled in front of the two Flutter Ponies. The bushwooly leader sprang up and waved his hands at them.

“Ponies in trouble! Surrounded!” The others sprang out of their ball shape and chorused affirmatives at the Flutter Ponies. “Big dog creatures! Very mean! Need help!” The lead bushwooly said.

Rosedust nodded and turned to Honeysuckle. “Bring half of our forces, and have the other half patrol our borders. Something is going on, and we need to be ready. Go.”

Honeysuckle nodded and fluttered into the air, calling for other battle ready Flutter Ponies. Rosedust turned to the Bushwoolies. “Have any of your missing ponies returned?”

“No. None.” The other Bushwoolies chorused negatives as well, and Rosedust sighed, resisting the urge to paw the ground.

“Very well.” Rosedust watched as Honeysuckle landed with Lily, Peach Blossom, and Forget-Me-Not. About five other Flutter Ponies circled around the Sun Stone, ready to leave at their queen’s call. “are you ready to go back?” Rosedust asked the bushwoolies.

They nodded as one, and Rosedust fluttered into the air, turning to her people. “Flutter Ponies, as you know, Morning Glory, as well several of our pony allies are missing. Now, our friends at the Estate are being attacked. Are you ready for battle, Flutter Ponies?” She smiled a bit at the roaring affirmatives from her people.

Rosedust nodded and twirled in midair, her wings fluttering as she rose higher into the air and sped for the Estate. Honeysuckle grinned as she fluttered up almost beside Rosedust.

“Been to long since I got to Utter Flutter a villain.” Honeysuckle grinned.

“You just got to do it to those odd ponies.” Rosedust chided gently.

“Yeah, to long.” Honeysuckle smiled.

“Sometimes you worry me, Honeysuckle.” Rosedust sighed.

Still, it would be nice to eradicate evil again…she was getting to used to this. But then, she thought, the old way, while comfortable, wasn’t as good as I thought it was at the time. I thought to keep my people safe, but with the ponies we have traded safety for something far more valuable. Life is harder now, but I do not think I would not go back. She smiled to herself. And I don’t think my people would either.