• Published 16th Feb 2014
  • 3,200 Views, 173 Comments

Rainbow Connection - ahilty



Two worlds collide. Can Equestria and Dream Valley survive First Contact with each other? What happens when two ancient, similar evils rear their head to threaten two worlds?

  • ...
5
 173
 3,200

Chapter Eleven

Chapter Eleven



Applejack happily relaxed on the clam, enjoying the scenery. Now that she was not focused on finding Apple Bloom, who was nestled on her back with intent to stay there until they reached Sweet Apple Acres, Applejack could now gaze around the alien landscape and admire it. Sure it was kinda strange seeing all this nature in its abnormal state, but it did have a certain beauty when you looked at it the right way. Applejack always thought that natural beauty could only come from the hooves of earth ponies, but the landscape here was just as pretty as home, if a bit wilder.

“How long till we get ta yer home?” She asked Sweet Stuff. She smiled gently at Applejack.

“Shouldn’t be that much longer.”

“Thank Celestia.” Apple Bloom sighed. “I can’t wait ta get home!” Sweet Stuff frowned at Apple Bloom, who pretty much had this same attitude the entire ride up the river, and even Sweet Stuff was getting sick of it.

“Our home isn’t that bad. You’ve only see the bad side. There are good things here to.”

“I’m just sayin’ ya’ll be happier and safer in Equestria. Hey! Maybe ya can move there!”

Whizzer blinked. “Leave-Ponyland? It’s-our-home-why-would-we-leave?”

“Just cause your home is more peaceful doesn’t make it better.” Sweet Stuff grumbled. “It sounds cramped. And lonely. From what you’ve been telling us there are more ponies in your town then in our entire Estate, and, if I understand this, you only stick to your family groups.” Sweet Stuff had frankly heard enough of Apple Bloom talking about Ponyville.

“Well, yeah, but it’s safer!” Apple Bloom maintained.

“Apple Bloom, they got the right to live in their home if they wanna. It’s not our place to judge. Hell, how’d ya feel if a fancy unicorn from Canterlot came ta the farm and insulted it?”

Apple Bloom wilted a bit. “Ah’m sorry, Ah just…”

Applejack nudged her. “You’re just homesick. We’ll be back soon. Don’t worry.”

“I’m sure your home’s really nice, Apple Bloom.” Sweet Stuff said. “But Ponyland is our home. I can’t imagine living anywhere else, not after all we’ve done to keep it. It seems…cruel to abandon it after our Queen…” She paused, a sad look coming to her jeweled eyes, but then she brightened. “But maybe once we get this mess sorted out, we can visit.”

“I-do-agree-with-Sweet-Stuff-you’re-home-sounds-pretty-cramped.” Whizzer said thoughtfully. “And-dividing-into-small-family-groups-sounds-off.”

“Guess Ah never thought about it.” Applejack said. “Ah mean, Ah consider my friends part of my family, but…” She shrugged. “We weren’t raised together. But how about you? Are ya’ll all related?”

“No, not really. A few are…I think that Gingerbread is my aunt. I think.” Sweet Stuff shrugged. “I didn’t know my parents, and Queen Majesty treated most of the younger foals like she was our parent…”

Whizzer frowned. “I-think-Wind-Whistler-is-related-to-Heart-Throb-but-they-really-don’t-act-it. Almost-total-opposites-. I-think-Firefly-might-be-my-cousin-but-I’m-not-sure. And…hrmmm….” She pondered. “I-think-Truly-is-Tex’s-sister, but-that-could-just-be-the-accent.”

“Wow, you guys really don’t know who’s really related to who?” Sweetie Bell asked.

“Well-I-can-remember-being-a-filly, I-didn’t-have-a-mother. My-mother-got-infected-by-the-Rainbow-of-Darkness-she…” Whizzer gasped, and her speech slowed... “She…left.”

“Left?” Applejack’s eyes widened.

“The Rainbow of Darkness did a lot of things.” Whizzer said, her voice slowing to an almost normal pattern. “Tirac used it to turn ponies to monsters, but even in its bag it could warp you. It would whisper things, and play on your nature. Darter, my mother, always wanted to explore, so one day she just…upped and left me alone. I never really knew her. Majesty took care of me. She took care of a lot of us.”

“Wow…Ah’m really sorry.” Apple Bloom stared at the floor of the clam. She never considered how lucky she was to have Applejack and Big Mac. “I never knew my parents either.”

Applejack put a hoof around her shoulders. “They’d be proud of ya, Apple Bloom. Ah know it.”

“Thanks sis.”

Rarity snuggled a bit closer to Sweetie, suddenly very glad she had both irritating, but very much alive and loving, parents.

“Ah look! We’re here and…oh no!” Seawinkle blinked. “They’re under attack!”

The ponies looked just in tie to see the side of Paradise Estate. Four armored Diamond Dogs clawed at the walls, and they could hear more growling and snarling. A few more patrolled around the edges, barking and scratching and being annoying and utterly terrifying to the ponies inside. Rarity watched them for a millisecond, before narrowing her eyes and lowering her ears.

“Oh not on my watch. Applejack, darling, can you watch Sweetie Bell for a moment while I take care of this.” Rarity gently nudged Sweetie towards Applejack. Sweetie gulped, but nodded at Rarity.

“Ummm, Rarity?” Sweet Stuff started, but Rarity had already lapsed out of the clam and was stomping towards the dogs, still somehow retaining her regal grace. Sweet Stuff eeped. “They’ll tear her apart!”

“No they won’t. Just watch.” Applejack grinned. She was going to enjoy this.

Rarity reached the edge of the dog pack. One of the armored ones looked at her, blinked and whimpered. It backed up to the wall of the Estate, whimpering like a…well like a whipped puppy. Rarity looked down her nose at him, then bellowed.

“DOGS! HEEL!”

The dogs looked up, and as one shrieked as if the boogymare had just leaped out at them. They began to shove each other in front of each other, attempting to hide behind themselves. Eventually, the leader, who Rarity recognized as the rather ugly one that had captured her before, was shoved in the front. He took one look at Rarity’s expression and whined.

“What, precisely, is the meaning of this?” Rarity asked in the manner of a stern and very disappointed schoolteacher.

The lead dog twiddled his claws. “Er…hi nice pony?” He said, and Rarity’s glare intensified. The dog stammered. “Oh, sorry! Miss Rarity, right? Sorry sorry! Please no whining!” He was doing a very good whine himself.

“I repeat, what do you think you are doing?” She asked. “I demand an explanation! You are acting like brutes! How dare you come to somepony’s house you don’t know and try to tear down their…very garish pink walls…unless they asked you fix that fashion disaster I don’t think you should be using your filthy claws on them. And that’s another thing; have you dogs still not discovered showers yet? Or water in general for that matter?” By now Megan, Danny, Magic Star and Galaxy had exited the Estate to figure out what was going on, armed and ready for battle. None of them expected to see a white alien pony standing there dressing their attackers down like this. The four of them blinked at Rarity, then Danny broke into a grin.

“That is the weirdest, and coolest, pony I have ever seen.” Danny grinned.

“Hi!” Whizzer flapped over to them, Scootaloo on her back. Scootaloo had wanted a better view, and despite the rough first introduction Whizzer had been happy to carry her. Applejack, who had the other two Crusaders, and Sweet Stuff, who trotted over to Magic Star, followed her on the ground. Whizzer set herself down. “That’s-Rarity-don’t-worry-she-and-other-Applejack-aren’t-really-hostile!”

Magic Star blinked was about to reply when the Flutter Ponies dove out of the sky, intent on the group of Diamond Dogs and Rarity. They turned in midair, about to unleash the Utter Flutter, when Whizzer looked up and darted towards them, shouting.

“Hey-hey-! Wait! The-bobble-heads-aren’t-the-enemy-they-thought-we-attacked-their-foals-look-I-have-one-right-here-her-name’s-Scootaloo!” Whizzer pointed to Scootaloo, who peered over her head to blink at the Flutter Ponies.

“What in Celestia’s name is up with your wings?” She asked.

Honeysuckle narrowed her eyes at Scootaloo. “Are you sure, Whizzer?”

“Well-this-one-here-is-rude-but-that’s-all.”

“HEY!” Scootaloo objected.

“Well-you-are.” Whizzer said.

“I hope you all have a very good explanations for all of this.” Queen Rosedust said, looking down at the…scene below. “I do not appreciate my ponies being attacked.”

“That-wasn’t-the-real-Morning-Glory-just-come-down-and-we’ll-explain!” Whizzer said.

“Very well.” Rosedust nodded, and the Flutter Ponies landed peacefully. Most of them were watching Rarity dress the Diamond Dogs down. Applejack looked over to them and tipped her hat.

“Sorry fer all the trouble. Ah’m Applejack, but Ah ain’t their” she waved a hoof at the Ponylanders “Applejack. Ah’m from Equestria. Nice ta meetcha.”

Rosedust studied her. “…I’ve heard the name Equestria before…”

“Awww, that’s great. Hope ya don’t mind if Ah just watch the Rarity Show over here fer a bit.” Applejack grinned over at her friend, who was receiving the very very good reason for the Diamond Dog’s attacks. Gems. Of course. Dogs had a one track mind.

“This pony is amazing your Highness.” Danny grinned.

“And then the witch said if we bring ponies they give us gem!” The hapless Diamond Dog said.

“You were going to sell us to Hydia for gems!” Galaxy interjected, still very much pissed about this.

“WHAT!” Rarity stamped at the dogs, who cringed. “That is a whole new low for you ruffians! Selling ponies for gems! Giving them to some monster that wants to torture and kill them!”

“…what torture Miss Rarity?” Asked the leader.

Rarity’s voice lowered as did her eyelids. “Dear, do you happen to remember ‘whining’?” The dogs made pained ‘eeeing’ noises. “It’s like that. Only worse.” Her eyes widened and her voice raised at the last word. The dogs shrieked as one and the leader threw himself on the ground at Megan and Galaxy’s feet, whimpering and crying.

“Please! We sorry! Don’t let her whine at us! We’ll be good! Please please plllleeeeeease!”

Galaxy smiled and nodded at Megan, who stepped forwards and started to lecture the dogs about proper behavior and such, while Rarity flicked her mane, looking a bit like how Opal looked after she swallowed a canary. Applejack relived Whizzer of Scootaloo and walked over to Rarity, smiling.

“Awful impressive, sugarcube.” She thumped Rarity on the shoulder.

“One does not always need to rough someone up to fight them, darling.” Rarity smiled.

“I have to say, that was…interesting.” Magic Star and Galaxy walked over to the Equestrians, followed by Whizzer. “Whizzer has been telling us what happened.”

“Then perhaps you could tell me.” Queen Rosedust fluttered over with Honeysuckle, who was still eyeing the aliens with suspicion. “I want to know why you attacked Mornign Glory.”

“It’s like this.” Applejack turned, Sweetie and Apple Bloom dropping off of her back to eye Rosedust with curisoty and fascination. “These three troublemakin’ fillies apparently found some weird mirror thing leading from our world ta yours. We come from a place called Equestria, and we had no idea this place existed. Me and Rarity-“

“Rarity and I, dear.” Rarity interjected.

“…thanks Rarity.” Applejack snorted. “Anyway, we went lookin’ fer em, and we found what looked like your friend foalnappin’ em.”

Honeysuckle snorted. “You liar! Morning Glory would never kidnap a baby!”

Applejack lowered her ears. “Ah’m gonna let that slide cause ya don’t know me, pardner, but call me a liar again and Ah’ll buck you all the way back home. Ah don’t lie about important things. Besides, it wasn’t really your friend. It was a shape shifting monster from our world called a Changeling. It took your friends form just so we’d all fight each other.”

Galaxy paused. “That…makes some sense.”

“And it would explain why we haven’t seen Morning Glory since that night.” Rosedust nodded. “And as I said, I have heard the name Equestria before, but I can’t remember where…”

“So do I…” Magic Star said. “In my magical history books. Something about a mystical land where every type of pony has some kind of magical skill, and even us earth ponies can wield magic.” She looked at Applejack. “Can you use magic?”

“Well, no, Ah can’t learn spells or nothin’” Applejack said, but Rarity nudged her.

“Earth ponies have magic, its just not a matter of casting spells, dear. You can manipulate the land and make things grow. Even rocks. And ponies like Maud can manipulate the earth like a unicorn or a pegasus can’t, and don’t forget Pinkie. You can’t tell me that is not magic of some variety. It’s not the same as spells, but it is inherent magic.” Rarity said.

“How…”

“Not all of us fall asleep during Twilight’s lectures. It’s rude to snore, Applejack.” Rarity said.

Magic Star blinked, then looked at Applejack. “You…grow rocks?”

“Naw, I grow apples. My whole family does, save for a few. But our friend Pinkie Pie’s family grows rocks.”

“…like…a mine?” Asked Galaxy.

“Naw, a rock farm is where ya grow rocks from the ground. We trade the stones with dragons and griffons.” Applejack said.

“So, the legends are true.” Magic Star said, getting exited. “I would love to see that!”

“It’s not that impressive, it’s just rock growin’.” Applejack seemed puzzled.

“Rocks don’t grow here.” Galaxy said. “They’re just…in the ground.”

“Huh…this place is so strange.” Applejack sighed. “Anyway, that’s pretty much our side o’ the story. But there’s something else.” She looked at Knight Shade. “Ya wanna pick it up from here, pardner?”

As Knight Shade begain to tell Galaxy, Magic Star and Rosedust his parts, Danny walked over to Rarity and Applejack and tried to pet Rarity’s mane.

“Hi, I’m Danny. You were amazing back there!” He smiled, eager to met this new interesting ponies.

“Rarity.” Rarity nodded her head. “Very pleased to meet you. Human, correct? I…honeslty can’t tell.”

“Yep! Danny looked down at Sweetie, who waved at him with a hoof.

“Hi! She’s my sister! I’m Sweetie Bell!”

Danny visablity melted at the sight of all that cute in one little pony. “Awww, you’re a cute baby.”

Sweetie frowned. “Hey! I’m not a baby, I’m eight!” She squeaked at him. Danny blinked.

“Gee, sorry. Most of the baby ponies here are called that.”

“It’s probably just a local colloquialism, Sweetie, I doubt he means any harm.” Rarity said.

“Colony of what now?” Sweetie asked.

Danny shrugged. “Most of the foals here are just referred to as baby, especially if they look like their moms.” He pointed at a small filly, who was poking her head out of the Estate window to look. “Like Baby Ribbon up here. Hey, would you mind telling everyone its safe?”

Baby Ribbon blinked. “Is it?”

“Yep.”

“Okay Danny.” The small blue head vanished. A few moments later several curious baby Ponylanders trotted up to peer at Rarity, Applejack and the Cutie Mark Crusaders. They stood at least a head or two above the Equestrian fillies, and they were of course wider. Ribbon and Heart Throb followed, keeping a close eye on their young, just in case. The two groups of young ponies stared at each other. Then, Molly came out, and let out a small scream of joy.

“Oh they’re so cute!” She smiled. Sweetie and Apple Bloom shifted around in embarrassment, while Scootaloo snorted.

“I’m not cute! I’m awesome!”

“Oh yeah? What’s so awesome about you?” Baby Lickety-Split snorted at her.

“Give me a scooter and a road and I’ll show you!” Scootaloo’s wings buzzed.

“How come you’re so small?” Baby Ribbon asked curiously.

“We ain’t small! You’re fat!” Apple Bloom announced.

“Apple Bloom!” Applejack glared down at her sister. “Mind your manners.”

“Sorry.” Apple Bloom scuffed her hoof.

Molly stood up and smiled. “Hey, are you three hungry? Maybe we can track down Gingerbread and get some lunch?” She hoped that she would be able to defuse a situation like her big sister could…

“Ah…that okay, sis?” Apple Bloom looked up at Applejack.

Applejack looked at the listening Whizzer, who nodded at her. Applejack turned her head back to Apple Bloom. “Yeah, that’s prolly a good idea. Ya go have a bite while we talk them. We’ll head right home afterwards.”

“Okay.” Apple Bloom said, standing up and following the small crowd of baby ponies, who were hungry after the siege adventure, and eager for some lunch. Heart Throb followed them, still determined to keep an eye on her daughter and the other fillies. Ribbon paused and smiled gently at Applejack.

“Don’t worry. Nothing will hurt them here. I promise.”

Applejack tipped her hat to Ribbon. “Thanks, er…”

“Ribbon…what do we call you?”

“Still just Applejack.” She said.

“This will be…strange…” Ribbon said with a small shrug. Still, she turned and followed the fillies, giving an amused glace to Megan, who by now had enlisted the Diamond Dogs into cleaning up the estate.




Pegasus feathers are strong, not to mention inherently magical. They have to be, as they have to lift a creature that, frankly, should not be able to lift itself off the ground in the first place. Magic was really the only way to explain it. Celestia suspected that even Dream Valley ponies must have some sort of magic to be able to get off the ground, but now really wasn’t the time to speculate.

Being a near immortal, even she didn’t know how long she would live after ascending to alicornhood, Celestia had a lot of time on her hooves. Enough time to decide that pomp and circumstance were boring, and one had to branch out to other hobbies or one would go mad. She attributed Luna’s own corruption in part a result of a lack of hobbies. If she had something to keep herself busy then the Nightmare wouldn’t have found her such an easy target.

So over the centuries Celestia had found herself little hobbies. One of these was lockpicking. Because you never knew when you needed to get out of a cage when your magic wasn’t working. Unfortunately, being an inherently magical being Celestia was out of practice. She had already broken several of her own quills on this stubborn lock.

“Are you sure it’s going to work?” Majesty asked, still lying on the ground. The poor queen barely had any energy, due to be locked for so long in a cramped cage with little to no exorcise, and having her energy drained for so long. Still, her eyes were bright and alert, even if her body was not.

“I’m sure I will get it in just a few more feathers.” Celestia reached back and plucked another of her feathers from her wings. She held it in her mouth and jiggled it into the lock, exploring and fiddling around. After a few moments there was a satisfying click. Celestia smiled and pushed the cage door open with a hoof. She stepped out, looking around. They seemed to be in some part of the Volcano, judging by the rocks. She turned and smiled, spotting the keys hanging on the wall. She trotted over, picked them up in her mouth, and began to try each one on Majesty’s cell. After three keys, the cell opened.

“Can you walk at all?” Celestia asked.

Majesty attempted to lift herself up. Legs trembling she managed to walk to Celestia before her shaking limbs gave way, and she started to collapse. Celestia extended her legs and caught her before she hit the ground.

“Damn those witches.” Majesty growled. “You have to go on without me.”

“No, you have been here far to long. Your ponies need you.”

“They have been getting on well without me.”

“But do they want to?”

Majesty sighed. “…you will have to carry me.”

“I know, it is alright.” Celestia nosed under Majesty and rolled her gently on her back. She flexed her wings, grunting a bit as the large unicorn’s weight settled on her back. Though Celestia did possess the great strength of an earth pony, for some reason she felt oddly weaker then usual.

“The shadow took something from you, didn’t he?” Majesty said.

“I think so. This should be as difficult as it is.” Celestia said. She usually didn’t get this tired, but she was. Majesty’s weight was making her back start to scream. She felt her heart starting to race and he legs shook a bit. What had that thing done to her? She felt at only half her normal self.

But Celestia was determined, and she was not about to leave Majesty here. Grunting silently, she began to walk, one hoof in front of the other. Every step felt like agony, but she was going to stop. She could feel the sun, even here, and she wasn’t going to stop till she found it.

Celestia closed her eyes and listened hard, letting herself become in tune with the earth. Earth ponies had a special connection to the world, even to a world that wasn’t their own. Earth was not just a name for these ponies; it was part of who and what they were. Sure, some would lose that special connection if they didn’t cultivate it, but Celestia had a lot of time on her hooves, and she had studied the ways of the earth pony, as well as the other two. She cast her earth senses deep. They were somewhere near the top of the Volcano, to Celestia’s surprise. To her left was thick rock, leading to the outside, but the right…

“They’ve escaped!”

Celestia opened her eyes and looked up to see a Changeling fleeing down the hall, screaming. She snarled and looked over her shoulder at Majesty. “Hold on to my mane.”

Majesty blinked, but bit into Celestia’s mane anyway. Celestia turned and reared, her hooves moving at a high, jackhammer rate of speed. Rocks and dust flew into the air even as Changelings began to pour towards them, chattering and clicking. Celestia kicked the rocks harder, smacking a few in the face as she went and burrowing. She began to feel intense warmth under her hooves, and soon bright red light glowed from the rocks. With two more hits the wall collapsed, revealing the open crater. They were close to the lava, and any other creature might have been burned, and Celestia could even feel Majesty winch a bit in pain. But she didn’t have that much time to think of that.

Changelings nipping at her heels, Celestia charged forwards, wings flexing. She opened them wide catching the hot air that came from the magma below. She flapped hard to get a good balance, before spreading her wings and soaring upwards, boosted by the hot winds. She extending her wings to their full extent, pain shooting through them as she struggled to lift both herself and her new friend. It shouldn’t be this hard. Growling to herself she flapped hard, churning the wind. Damn it, she was out of shape! But no! She wasn’t going to give up! She could feel the Changelings rushing behind her…wait!

Suddenly rolling in midair she dove, holding her wings to her sides, Celestia sharped her body like a spear, and dropped. She could feel Majesty gripping her mane in a deathgrip, but she ignored that for the moment in favor of ripping through the Changelings like a hawk. As she dove she saw the Changelings scream and dodge away, but a few didn’t make it in time. She felt her horn slam against chitin, and several of them were sent spinning or falling. She winced, hoping she didn’t hurt them to badly. It wasn’t their fault they were Changelings, or that their queen was a fool.

As soon as Celestia neared the Volcano again she flared her wings and burst over the crater, leaving a soft, multicolored trail of light behind her. She laughed. She had never felt so alive in centuries, save for when Twilight was around! Oh how she missed this place! How she missed adventure!

She allowed herself to slow down a bit, then hovered gently. Her wings ached, but it was a bit better up here. Celestia found a thermal and relaxed a bit, letting the air carry her. She looked around, getting her bearings.

“Over there!” Majesty pointed with a hoof. “I think that is my little one’s new home!”

Celestia turned her head and smiled. There indeed was a nice little pink building, a small house, sitting there past the forest. She wondered how many ponies could really fit there, but perhaps it was magic. It was about an hour’s fly from where they were.

“Can you make it, Princess?” Majesty asked.

“I can. It’s a bit easier up here.” Celestia spread her wings and began to soar towards the Estate, catching thermal after thermal, and enjoying the fact that she didn’t have to flap too much.

“What do you think that shadow is? Did Hydia mention anything around you?” Celestia asked.

“No, she’s been doing surprisingly little monologing. It worries me. Usually she comes down and brags a bit when her schemes are going well, but this time, nothing.”

“Hmmm, I doubt that’s a good thing. And that creature. It seemed…familiar. Like I have tasted that kind of evil before.”

“I wish I knew more.” Majesty lifted her head and sniffed the air, closing her eyes. “Right now though…it feels so wonderful to be free!”

Celestia smiled and settled into a comfortable silence with the other ruler. She eyed the ground. It hadn’t changed that much over the years. The trees looked newer, as the old ones had probably died and sprouted new saplings, which then turned to mighty trees themselves. She wondered briefly how many generations of tree had gone by. It was an odd, strange little thought, but it wouldn’t leave her.

She flapped her wings slightly and concentrated on the path in the sky ahead, admiring the view as she flew.




Apple Bloom had to admit; they didn’t make a bad pie here. Not as good as an Apple Family apple pie, but a decent pie nonetheless. Alongside the pie they also had several verities of veggi sandwiches, some rolls, potatoes and various juices. It was nice, almost like home, if a bit crowded with young ponies. After some initial awkwardness the three Equestrian fillies started to talk with the Ponylander fillies, and while Apple Bloom found Baby Lickety-Split annoying, the rest of them seemed okay enough.

After they were finished eating Baby Cuddles leaped up, smiling at the Equestrians. “Wanna play hide and seek?” She asked.

“Hide and seek…where?” Apple Bloom asked.

“Out there!” Baby Cuddles pointed with a hoof.

“Isn’t it dangerous?” Sweetie Bell asked.

“Dangerous? At Paradise Estate? Of course not!” Baby Lofty laughed and jumped up as well. “Come on! We’ll show you!”

“Are you sure it’s safe?” Apple Bloom asked.

“Aww, you three are bigger chickens then Shady!” Baby Lickety-Split laughed. “Come on! It’s not that scary out there!”

“Hey! I am not a chicken!” Scootaloo shouted, nearly upturning the bowls as she raced outside. “Last outside’s a dork!”

Apple Bloom and Sweetie Bell raced to follow their friend, followed by Baby’s Ribbon, Cuddles, Gusty and Surprise. The rest of the Ponyland fillies separated off to do other things or play other games.

Baby Cuddles tapped a nearby tree stump. “Okay, let’s use this home base. I’ll be it first!” She looked at the Cutie Mark Crusaders. “You guys do have hide and seek in your world, right?”

“Yeah, course we do!” Said Apple Bloom, although they only played it on the school playground these days. They were to busy earning their Cutie Marks! Still, it would be nice to have a little good clean fun.

Baby Cuddles put her head on the stump and covered her eyes, counting. The others scattered, the CMC sticking together. Apple Bloom looked up and grinned.

“Up here.” She screeched to a halt in front of a tree and Sweetie Bell jumped on her back, followed by Scootaloo. Apple Bloom climbed up, then reached down for the others, hauling them on her branch. She grinned, and the three of the climbed a bit higher, finding a nice thick branch full of leaves. The three of them huddled there, suppressing giggles.

It was interesting watching the Ponylanders play. Soon Baby Cuddles had finished her count was racing around the estate, looking for other baby ponies. Apple Bloom noticed that sometimes the adult ponies would wander by, clearly keeping an eye on things. This made her feel a lot better, and she felt that Applejack was close enough so there little risk here. It felt strange, and good, to finally be out of danger.

Suddenly something blotted out the sun, and Apple Bloom almost shrieked as wheatever it was shot above them, heading for the estate. Scootaloo gasped and leaped out the tree.

“Apple Bloom! It’s the Princess! Look!”

“Huh?” Cuddles looked up as Scootaloo raced past her. “That’s not how you play hide and seek!” She blinked as Apple Bloom and Scootaloo raced past her, eyes wide in shock. “What’s going on?” She shrugged and followed, the other Ponylander babies coming out of their hiding spots, curious. They followed the Crusaders around the side of the estate and gasped.

“Look at that!” Baby Lofty pointed. “She has wings and a horn!”

The baby ponies stared at Princess Celestia, who had landed in the middle of the group of Ponylanders, Equestrians and Flutter Poinies. She panted a bit from the effort of carrying Majesty. She smiled at the ground and lowered herself, letting Majesty slide off and stand as best she could.

“Hello.” Celestia smiled.

“Your Highness!” Rarity looked down at herself. “Oh no I look terrible! I could just die!” Rarity almost fainted at the knowledge that her Princess could see her in such a horrid state! Still, she did her best to bow before Celestia. Applejack did the same, followed by Crusaders, who gathered near their sisters, and bowed as well. Celestia sighed.

“Please, I appreciate it, but you don’t need to bow. Not you five.”

Meanwhile, Magic Star was gapping like a fish at Majesty. She took a cautious step forwards. “My…my queen?” She gulped. “Is that really you?”

Majesty smiled, a wide, unqueenly grin, and she stepped forwards. She stood a head or so taller then the others of her kind, and her horn was longer, but she was clearly a pony like them. She lowered her nose and touched Magic Star on the head.

“It is. I’m home.” She said.

“Majesty!” Sweet Stuff suddenly burst through the crowd and charged forwards, almost knocking Celestia over. In fact she also almost knocked poor Majesty over as she collided with her legs and gave the queen a fierce, tear filled hug. “You’re okay!”

“Oh Sweet Stuff, you’ve grown so much, little one.” Majesty smiled and almost to a pony her subjects swarmed her, as if having to confirm for themselves that the queen was truly there. Even the most sensible and reserved of them came forwards, crowding her. “Woah, hold on!” Majesty laughed. “Settle down! It really is me!”

Sweet Stuff suddenly flung herself at Celestia and gave her a hug as well, tears flowing from her crystal eyes. “Oh thank you! You brought her back! Thank you!”

Celestia smiled and patted Sweet Stuff on the head with a wing. “You are very welcome, little one.” She said gently.

“Er, Princess, how’d ya and that other get here?” Applejack asked as she straightened from her bow. Celestia sighed and let herself sit on the ground. Her wings ached from the trip, but she was feeling very satisfied at the happy scene next to her. Quietly, she told a bit of the story, Majesty eventually untangled herself from her happy children and lay down next to Celestia, interjecting with her own bits. The Ponylanders backed up a bit, giving her some space.

“So, the witches and the Changelings have the mirror that gets us home.” Applejack finally said. “That makes things a bit harder.”

Magic Star, who had finally stopped crying herself, snorted. “We will have to retrieve it, then. You, Princess, have done a great thing for us. It is the least we can do to help you get your mirror back, and get you all back home.” Magic Star looked towards the Volcano. “They might not notice a small group of ponies, and time is of the essence. They may be off guard.”

“Normally I would help, but I am afraid the shadow that dwells there left me drained.” Celestia frowned. “And I need someone to get this thing off my horn.” She pawed at the magic dispelling ring that still was stuck to her horn.

“I will be happy to work on it with you.” Galaxy said, studying the thing. “I’m sure I can come up with something.”

“I’ll help, darling. Besides, I don’t think I’ll be much use in a sneak attack.” Rarity said, looking at the horn. “I’m no Twilight Sparkle, but I might be able to come up with something.”

“Ah’ll come with you.” Applejack smiled at Magic Star. “Be glad ta help.”

“Ummm I know this is a really bad idea, and I’ll probably mess it up, but-” Shady fidgeted.

“Come along, Shady. We can use you. You need to stop thinking so negatively all the time.” Magic Star nodded at them and turned. “If that’s all, then lets go before the witches think to double the guards at the Volcano.”

“I know.” Megan grinned and took off the heart shaped pendent from around her neck. She approached Applejack put it around her neck.

“What the hay?” Applejack asked.

“It’s the Rainbow of Light. It’ll protect you. And you can probably use it to come back.” Megan said. Applejack nodded.

“Arighty then! Let’s go!”

“Applejack! You can’t go!” Apple Bloom shouted. “What if you never come back!”

“Apple Bloom, if’n I don’t go, then we never’ll get back home. Don’t you worry, you got the princess here to protect you.” Applejack nuzzled her. “Ah know yer scared, but you can’t let what’s happened in this place get to ya. You’re an Apple, and Apple’s don’t give up. Ya have to be brave, right?”

“…Ah guess.” Apple Bloom sighed.

“Ah’ll be back, sis, don’t ya worry about me.” She gave Apple Bloom one last little nudge, before galloping to follow Magic Star and Shady.

“Let’s see if you can use the Rainbow to get us there.” Magic Star said. “It will be faster, and they won’t expect it.”

“Sounds good ta me.” Applejack, though some flexible method that frankly puzzled the ponies, opened the locket with relative ease. The Rainbow of Light soared out, hovering over the ponies. Applejack stared at it.

“Er…what do I do?”

“Ask it to take us to the Volcano.” Magic Star said with a little smile.

“Ah…aright…” Applejack looked at the Rainbow. “Hey…rainbow. Take us to the witches’ Volcano.” The rainbow dipped at them, and then dove, swirling around their bodies. With a small flourish the rainbow lifted them into the air, and began to streak for the Volcano.

The Rainbow dropped them off through the hole in the wall that Celestia and Majesty had made previously. Applejack had expected the place to be more guarded, but there was nobody there, not a single Changeling guard or even a worker fixing the hole. Applejack didn’t like it. It smelled like a trap. Still, they had this Rainbow with them, and it felt almost like her old Element. She opened the locket, letting the Rainbow settle back into its home.

“Darn handy little thing.” Applejack smiled.

Magic Star nodded. “Let’s find the mirror and be gone. We shouldn’t linger.” She raised her head and sniffed. “Draggle once told me the basic layout, just in case…I think that Hydia keeps her treasures…this way.” Magic Star turned and headed to the right. “Follow me.”

Applejack had expected the place to be more…lively then this. According to the Princess the place had been crawling with Changelings, now…nothing. Not a single insect wing.

“I don’t this. It’s to quiet. It’s to dark. They’re going ot get us.” Shady whimpered, and Applejack resisted the urge to turn around and smack the other pony.

“Why’d the hay you come if you’re just gonna complain all the time.” Applejack asked her fiercely.

“I wan to help, but I’m…useless.” Shady sighed.

“Oh for Celestia’s sake, you’re never gonna be useful if you keep tellin’ yourself that. Buck up! You’re an earth pony!”

“I can’t fly, or do magic…” Shady said, but Applejack cut her off.

“Naw, none of us can. But look, we’re the strongest of all ponies! I bet even ya Ponylander earth ponies are the strongest. Wings and magic mean nothing if you don’t have the heart, and it’s our hearts that make us earth ponies strong. Our determination and our will. You should never think less of yourself, sugar cube, just cause your abilities are more down to earth then the others. You understand?”

Shady stared at Applejack. “You…think so?”

“Ah know so. The three of us are all earth ponies, and we’re bringin’ that mirror back. Ain’t nothing gonna stop us!” Applejack stared hard at Shady, even as the group started to trot up a flight of stairs. She was more concerned now with the troubled pony beside her.

“I think this is it.” Magic Star stopped at a door in the wall, on a small landing. The staircase wound upwards and downwards in a crazy pattern, and Applejack had no clue how Magic Star had managed to traverse it so well. Magic Star pushed the door, but it wouldn’t budge. She sighed. “Locked.”

“Allow me, sugarcube.” Applejack smiled and turned her back to the door. With a mighty kick of her hooves the door flew open with a bang. She winched. “Okay, that was a bit…loud.”

“Let’s hurry then.” Magic Star started to step through the door, but as she did she leaned close to Applejack and muttered. “Thank you. She needs to hear that more often.” Applejack nodded and smiled at Magic Star. She entered the room, which was wall to wall junk. Stuff was piled in various corners, books, cauldrons, metal pointy things that were probably weapons, sharper pointy things that defiantly were weapons, a few sinks, a collection of dead bugs, and copious amounts of slime. It would have reminded Applejack of Golden Delicious’ house, if her cousin were a worse housekeeper. And insane.

“Hey, didn’t the princess say it was supposed to be in the dungeon?” Applejack blinked.

“Look at all the tracks. People and some other creatures, probably Changelings, have been in and out of here recently. And there are scuff marks…over there!” Magic Star pointed to a jewel encrusted mirror leaning on the side of the wall. “They must keep moving it!”

“Ya, but why?”

“To keep the trap fresh of course.”

Applejack turned just in time to see the door fly close an inch from Shady’s tail. The shy pony leaped behind Applejack, trembling. Applejack heard Magic Star gallop next to her, snorting and pawing the ground.

“Who are you? What are you?” Magic Star challenged.

Shadows condensed in front of their eyes, and slowly crawled upwards. The shadows began to form a shape of a pony, a pony made entirely of shadow. A dark outline of a muzzle, a pair of glowing yellow eyes, with no pupils to speak of, and two small ears were the only features it had on its cloudy face. The thing chuckled, its voice making Applejack’s fur stand on end. She backed away, standing protectively over Shady. Magic Star still faced the thing, determined to protect her friends.

“Your friend knows who I am…don’t you, Applejack? Element of Honesty. You told of me, not to long ago…or did you think the Pink one was the end of it?” The creature before them chuckled; its voice was distorted and cruel, and somehow male. Its eyes flashed with barely concealed amusement. It licked its shadowy lips, a long dripping tongue lashing out and slithering. It seemed a mixture of both tar and cloudy shadow, a combination that made Applejack’s stomach turn.

“What are you talking about?” Applejack asked.

The figure laughed, then spoke in a horrible, ghoulish mockery of Applejack’s voice. “When I was just a filly, Granny Smith told me of an ancient legend…when night falls on the castle…”

“No…ya can’t be.” Applejack stomped. “Nightmare Moon is gone! We banished her! We freed Luna!”

“Your granny was right, not all of the evil was banished. The Nightmare, you see…the Nightmare never ends.” The creature seemed to lower its head. “For now, I am the Pony of Shadows…but soon you will all call me Master.”

“Ah got something here that’ll fix your wagon!” Applejack opened the locket, freeing the Rainbow. “This ends now, Nightmare! TASTE THE BUCKING RAINBOW!”

The Pony of Shadows jerked, as if afraid. The Rainbow flew towards the Pony, and the Pony suddenly laughed, raising its hoof. The Rainbow hit its hoof, and to Applejack’s shock, seemed to be absorbed into the Pony’s hoof, disappearing completely. Magic Star, on the other hand, was not bothered.

“It did this before with Tirac.” Magic Star said. “You are through, shadow!”

“On the contrary.” The Pony laughed. He extended his hoof, and a dark Rainbow suddenly lashed out like a horrible tentacle, dripping wet with shadow as if it had been dipped in tar. It slashed at the ponies, violently knocking Applejack and Shady into a pile of books. “I planned for this.”

“Impossible!” Magic Star backed away a step. “You, you can’t-“

“You little fool!” The Pony of Shadows approached Magic Star. “You depend so much on your Rainbow, ignoring all the ways it can be rendered useless. You let a human girl take the lead, in a foolish attempt to train her. Now look at you, little pony. Helpless. I could kill you…” It leaned down, whispering in Magic Star’s ear. “But I won’t. I will see Majesty’s children bow to me. Starting with you, little one.” He breathed, a dark mist emerging from his mouth and pouring into Magic Star’s ear. Magic Star’s eyes widened and her legs jerked. She began to shriek, and tried to scramble away, but the shadowy pony produced more tendrils from his back and coiled them around her legs and throat, pulling her closer to him. Magic Star wailed in pain, and her fur began to darken from bright yellow to a more dull mustard coloration. She gasped, moaning, her eyes rolling as her struggles weakened, then ceased. Slowly she turned her gaze upwards at her tormenter and mouthed something that neither Shady nor Applejack could make out. The Pony of Shadows chuckled, as if amused, and smiled in sick satisfaction.

“You can leave. I’ll even let you have the mirror. It’s useless anyway. You, little one…” A tendril almost lovingly brushed against Magic Star’s cheek. “You will be my herald. A taste of what is to come.” The tentacles unwound from Magic Star’s legs, and she swayed for a brief moment before collapsing to the floor, eyes closing in exhaustion.

“See you at your home…I look forwards to seeing it.” The Pony of Shadows laughed, and vanished.

Applejack kicked the books out of her way and raced to Magic Star’s side, Shady right next to her. Shady put her hooves on Magic Star’s side and shook her.

“Magic Star! Oh no no no! Please be alive!” She closed her eyes. “…the monster…”

Applejack leaned down and listened to Magic Star’s gasping breaths. “She’s alive. Come on, you have to help me move her!”

“But I can’t! I-“

“No! You stop that thought train right in its tracks, missy!” Applejack turned, ears lowered. “Your friend needs you to be strong! She needs you to support her! You have to do this, and you will. I know you can! Just remember, you’re an earth pony! The strongest, bravest and most determined of all ponies. You know why you weren’t born with magic or wings? It’s cause you don’t need em! Your strength comes from the heart, and now’s the time for you to show that heart!”

Shady stared at Applejack. “R-really?”

“Of course! Now stand still, Ah’ll help you.” Applejack lifted Magic Star with her front hooves and laid her on Shady’s back. Shady gasped, but didn’t drop Magic Star. Instead, she nodded. “I…I’m strong. I can do this…Magic Star needs me to do this…I can do this!”

“That’s right, now let me get this confounded thing.” Applejack walked over to the mirror and bumped her hip against it, letting it fall on her back. “Now lets go in case creepy changes his mind!”

Shady nodded, and nuzzled Magic Star briefly, who did not react at all. Shady sighed and followed Applejack. “We should head for Flutter Valley, its not that far.” Shady said.

“You know the way?”

“I do.” Shady said, trying to make herself sound confidant. They had the mirror, and surly they would be able to help Magic Star! They had the Queen back, and the Equestrians had their strange princess! Surely between the two they would be able to help Magic Star!

But as Magic Star breathed in her ear, a horrible wheezing sound, Shady felt dread that even she had never felt before. She tried to fight it, like Applejack said. But like the wheezing, it just would not go away. Even after they left the Volcano with no further incidents, the feeling lingered.

I’m not going to think that way anymore! I need to be the strong one now! For Magic Star! Shady thought, even as she shuddered at the thousands of eyes she knew were upon her.





The Pony of Shadows hovered on the edge of the Volcano, watching the three ponies leave with the mirror. He grinned, and looked at the witch by its side.

“Now, for the Royal Paradise.” He said as he turned. “And then…all of Dream Valley, and Equestria.”

Author's Note:

All interpretations on the G1 ponies past, bloodlines and such are mere head cannon used for world building.