• Published 16th Feb 2014
  • 3,201 Views, 173 Comments

Rainbow Connection - ahilty



Two worlds collide. Can Equestria and Dream Valley survive First Contact with each other? What happens when two ancient, similar evils rear their head to threaten two worlds?

  • ...
5
 173
 3,201

Chapter Thirteen

Chapter Thirteen


The entire Estate was in an uproar. The joy they had felt in Celestia and Majesty’s appearance had been swept away as soon they saw what had happened to Magic Star. None of them had any idea what exactly the shadow had done. Rosedust, though just as upset over this, couldn’t think of any real reason to keep her troops here. So after a fond farewell she took her Flutter Ponies back to Flutter Valley, for the moment. She left Honeysuckle and Lily though, in case they were needed. Knight Shade also departed, as he felt he was needed at Bright Valley. The Sea Ponies were happy to take him home.

So that left the ponies, Ponylander and Equestrian, to deal with the still unconscious Magic Star, and a mirror that, unfortunately, didn’t seem to work. It was dark, and no one could pass through the glass barrier. They had retreated inside the estate, and Applejack had found that the place was larger then the outside would suggest. She wasn’t sure if this was some sort of magic, or if it was a simple matter of perspective. They had put Magic Star in what Applejack assumed was a living area, and placed her on a small couch. Applejack watched as Magic Star breathed steadily, but her eyes remained fully closed.

“The stories never did say what the Pony of Shadows could do ta ya.” Applejack said sadly as she looked at Magic Star. “Ah have no idea what’s wrong…Princess?” She looked at Celestia. Celestia lowered her head and sniffed Magic Star, frowning in worry.

“I’m not sure. It could just be the same as it did to me…but this creature is unfamiliar to me as well. I don’t know what it’s capable of.” Celestia sighed. Applejack noticed that the magic restraining ring was still around Celestia’s horn.

Galaxy paced, frowning and swishing her tail in agitation. Applejack walked over and nudged her. “Ya okay?”

“I just have a very bad feeling.” Galaxy said. “My feelings are usually right, and right now…I just have a really bad feeling.”

Applejack sighed. “Wish Ah could have done more.”

Galaxy smiled at her. “You did what you could. We’re very grateful to you.”

Not mentionin’ the fact that if’n we weren’t here this’d never have happened in the first place…Applejack thought. She shook that thought away; there was no help for it. “How long till ya can get that mirror up and runnin’?” She asked. “Not that I don’t like ya’ll, but I really need ta get my sister home.”

Galaxy sighed. Aside from Magic Star’s condition, they had found out that the mirror was apparently missing some vital component, and was dark and cold. “We’re looking for the right kind of crystal your princess mentioned, but we really aren’t miners.” She shrugged, “Well find it as soon as we can, and we’ll be glad to let you stay as long as you need to.”

Applejack nodded sadly. “Thanks. Did that little human of yours get them dogs to go look?”

Galaxy smiled. “Yes, she’s very good at that sort of thing. With Magic Star…like this, and Wind Whistler missing, I’m glad we have her around. The younger ponies have a tendency to be calmer with her.”

“Are ya’ll three the leaders round here? Cause ya kinda act like it.” Applejack asked.

“Not officially. None of us are in charge, per say, but we are the most levelheaded, and most of the time the others listen to us…most of the time.” Galaxy replied. “And as for Megan, she’ll be a good leader for her people one of these days, when she grows up.”

“Ya, I can kinda see that too, from what I’ve seen of her.” Applejack said.

Galaxy pricked her ears and looked over to where Celestia and Majesty had been looking over Magic Star. Her eyes fluttered open.

“Magic Star? Are you alright?” Galaxy walked over still she was standing next to Celestia, who was frowning at Magic Star with concern. Magic Star raised her head and blinked at them. It may have just been a trick of the light, but Applejack thought that her eyes seemed to hold a yellow tint to them.

“What happened?” Magic Star asked.

“The Pony of Shadows did something ta ya. Ah didn’t really see what on account of me and Shady bein’ knocked clear across the room. Do ya remember?”

“I…no…” Magic Star hesitated, looking thoughtful. “You got the mirror, right?”

“Ya, but it’s not working.” Applejack said. “Some gem or somethin’ is missin’. Megan’s got them diamond dogs out lookin’ fer somethin’ that will power it back up.”

“I…see.” Magic Star seemed to be staring blankly at a point somewhere between Applejack’s ears. She suddenly giggled, covering her mouth with her leg. Galaxy blinked at her.

“Magic Star, are you sure you’re feeling alright?” She asked.

“I…yes…no…wait…I feel strange…very...no I’m fine. Don’t worry.” Magic Star stood up and leaped off the couch. “I’ll check my library. Just…need to stay busy. My head is buzzing. No, wait, it’s fine. Don’t look at me like that, Galaxy, I’m alright.” She smiled distantly at Galaxy, who was frowning at her.

“Magic Star maybe you should rest and-“

“No.” Magic Star’s face suddenly twisted in an ugly expression as she glared at Galaxy. “No.” She pushed past Galaxy and disappeared down the hallway.

“I don’t like this.” Galaxy said.

“Maybe ya should give her a bit of space.” Applejack said. Galaxy nodded.

“She seems alright, if a bit cranky.” Galaxy turned her head to Celestia’s horn. “I’m still working on getting this off. Physical tugging isn’t going to work. There must be some sort of trick…”

Applejack sighed and went to look for the kitchen, trying to put the Magic Star problem out of her mind. It looked like she was going to be there for the long haul, and she was getting hungry after all of this excitement. She peered into a room and smiled. It was a huge bathroom, with a big tub. Relaxing in this tub was Rarity, being scrubbed and brushed by the two small humans, Danny and Molly.

“Ya got kids ta do your spa treatments now, Rare?” Applejack teased.

“It’s okay, we volunteered.” Molly smiled. “It’s the least we can do.”

“Applejack you really should get a bath yourself. You’re just as dirty as I was.” Rarity said with a contented sigh.

“Ya, maybe later, after I get me some grub. Ya’ll have fun in there.”

“Three doors down to your left!” Danny directed as he brushed Rarity’s mane. “Ask for Gingerbread, she makes the best cookies!” The boy seemed way to happy to be fixing up a mare’s mane, but then Applejack wasn’t going to judge. She knew of her brother’s strange attraction towards an old doll that Big Mac had ‘hidden’ in his room. Applejack smiled and headed for the kitchen, her stomach starting to rumble. She hoped that the food here was as good as the food in Ponyville.




Magic Star entered her quarters, a long room she had taken as her own when the moved into the Estate. She always had a fascination with magic, hence her name. As an earth pony she couldn’t do magic herself, a fact that always irritated her, but she did collect magical items, which she kept in this room. One side was dedicated to magical tomes she had collected over the years, some merely reference books, others genuine magical tomes. Some were even dark magic books, but these were kept in a sealed case, as well as a few dark artifacts she had managed to acquire and locked away for safekeeping. Nothing earth shattering, but some nasty things just the same. She paused and stared at her dark magic collection, sitting down in front of the case and eying each artifact in turn. There was a wand that turned its victims to ash. There was a twisted paw that granted wishes, but twisted the wishes into something evil. There was a jar that screamed at you when opened. Magic Star wasn’t sure what possible use it was.

Magic Star sighed, and placed her head on the glass case, blinking at the collection. “…why did I lie…” She closed her eyes. Her head felt like it was full of bees. Or maybe ants. Something that was crawling around inside her skull, biting and stinging and giving her an unpleasant, painful sensation. It hurt. Oh it hurt…

“Who cares what that stupid unicorn thinks? She wastes her talents. If you had her magic, you’d make much better use of it.”

“I’m an earth pony…”

“You could use magic with these.”

“No, no it’s dark magic…” Stinging stinging, oh the stinging…

“But Draggle uses dark magic.”

“She’s a witch it’s in her blood…” Ants crawling in her skull, why wouldn’t they go away?

“How pathetic. A weak creature like her can use magic, but you can’t?”

“That’s unkind.” Her teeth clenched so hard she almost broke them.

“No, it isn’t. It’s the truth. You can do so much more, and yet you waste your time babysitting these fools. Letting yourself be dragged down by them…look at that book. It has so much knowledge. So much information. Surely you can use it…”

“It’s a dark spell tome. Anyone can use it, but the magic is evil.”

“Take it.”

“No.”

“Just a peek.”

“N-noo…”

“What would it hurt?”

“I…suppose a small look…” Magic Star opened the case and pulled one of the books out. The stinging was fading, replaced by a small, almost pleasant tremor in her head. “It might have information to help Celestia. That isn’t bad.”

“Why help her? Why help any of them? Stupid senseless nags!”

“No, they’re my friends.”

“Are they? Seems to me they just use you for your knowledge. You’re a tool to them. Pathetic.”

“No…who are you?”

“Can’t you see me? Or rather can’t you see you?”

Magic Star blinked. There was no one there. She was talking to her reflection, and answering back. The book slid out of her hooves and she pressed them against her head as the stinging increased.

“Gah…what’s happening to me…what are you doing to my head, get out!” She gasped, and answered back to herself. “You heard him. You’re…I’m…his herald now. What does that mean? Oh you know what it means! You can feel it. I can feel it. It’s inside. Is that what the darkness tastes like…it must be. What else could it be?” She shakily stood up and turned to the door. “Have to warn the others…but why? Why should I care? Maybe…just one more peek?” Magic Star turned to the book, the strange sensation in her brain starting to soothe, instead of annoy. She felt good. It felt good. Resisting it, the urge to tell her friends, had hurt. But opening the book, looking over all the wonderful, terrible spells, her head felt better. More then better. It felt like she was being soaked in a warm bubble bath. It was relaxing. It was pleasant. A part of her knew that was, in a small way, giving in, but it felt to good to pass up. Surely as long as she didn’t actually hurt a pony she would be able to take it? Yes. Sure. She wasn’t hurting anyone. She was helping. Of course she was.

Of course.





“It looks like we won’t be able to go home for a while.” Celestia sighed at the mirror, which had been set up in the living area on a side wall. The thing shimmered, but with two missing gems its surface was dark and cold and solid as a rock. Celestia touched the surface with her hoof, but it only clanked on the smooth glass.

“I’m sure no one would object to letting you stay, would you?” Majesty, who had recovered enough to walk, looked at Galaxy, who by now was the only one of the elder mares who could possibly be considered both capable and able to make any kind of leadership decisions. Twilight Unicorn was off somewhere exploring. Wind Whistler was trapped on the other side of the mirror, and Magic Star was locked in her room and acting funny.

“You are the Queen, Majesty. Most of us will follow your orders.” Galaxy said.

“I haven’t been able to fulfill my duties as queen for a while, and I don’t want to start throwing my weight around before you little ones are ready. Some of them might be a little shy of me yet; especially the baby ponies, and I feel I should earn their trust before I take the reins fully as your queen. Besides, you have done well as a community thus far. I trust you, Galaxy.” Majesty smiled at Galaxy.

Galaxy nodded. “Thank you, I can’t tell you how much that means to me.”

Celestia sighed. “Thank you all for your hospitality.”

“Perhaps dinner would be best right now…” Galaxy said. “I’ll go get Magic Star, I don’t like that she’s spent all day in that room alone. It’s making me nervous.” Galaxy turned to walk up the stairs. She felt a sudden clenching in her stomach as she approached Magic Star’s door. She didn’t want to knock. For once she didn’t walk to talk to one of her oldest and dearest friends. But she had to. Because Magic Star was her friend.

Galaxy raised her hoof and knocked loudly. “Magic Star? We’re having dinner now. Come down and take a break. I think Cupcake is making ice cream….”

“Go away.”

“…Magic Star, please, I’m worried about you.”

“Go. Away.”

“But-“

The door flung open and Magic Star thrust her nose forwards, nearly head butting Galaxy. She might even have done it if Galaxy didn’t have a horn. “Get away from me you little blind freak!” Magic Star snarled. “Go feel yourself to a cliff and jump off!” She slammed the door in Galaxy’s bewildered face.

“B…blind?” Galaxy rubbed her eyes. She didn’t want tears to form, but a few did. “Y-you’re just not yourself…I…” Galaxy stood up. “I’ll just…leave a plate for you.” Galaxy trudged back down the stairs.

Magic Star trembled, the prickling in her brain intensifying as she slid the floor, sobbing. “I didn’t mean it, Galaxy! I didn’t, I…I did mean it…but I didn’t…I…” Tears leaked from her eyes. “I’m so confused…”






Applejack helped herself to a nice spread of pancakes, cheese kolaches, fritters, oatmeal, hash browns and omelets for breakfast the next morning. While they didn’t have any good apple products, Applejack wasn’t going to hold that against Gingerbread. She seemed like a nice mare. Heck they all seemed like nice mares. Many of the Ponylanders had come before her, eating and chatting and then moving on with the rest of the day. She wondered if that strange Posey mare, who looked a lot like Fluttershy save she was an earth pony, and a bit more approachable, would let her help in the garden. It would keep Applejack busy, and it was a bit like farming. Applejack felt like she could relax now, and enjoy the very interesting little homestead these pony’s had. At least until they could leave.

“Hey Applejack, they got a pool!” Apple Bloom rushed into the kitchen and climbed onto a chair next to her sister. “And if ya jump in the Sea Pony foal’s will play Marco Polo with you!”

“Feelin’ a bit better about this place, Apple Bloom?” Applejack smiled at her sister.

“Yah! Ah still miss the farm, but…Ah guess this place isn’t all bad.” Apple Bloom smiled. “And they got these funky lookin’ balls of fluff called bushwoolies! They’re funny.”

Applejack patted her and let her steal a fritter. “See? What’d I tellya? This place isn’t so bad.”

Gingerbread smiled at them. “It’s a bit dangerous in Dream Valley, but we’d never let any friend of ours be hurt. Not if we can help it.” She gave Apple Bloom another fritter. “But I’m glad to hear you’re having a good time with us.”

Apple Bloom smiled, nodding her head. Applejack couldn’t help but smile at her. It was good to see her cheerful little Apple Bloom back.

Rarity trotted into the kitchen, accompanied by two more Ponylanders, another Twinkle-eyed pegasus, a yellow one, and a light pink unicorn. From what Rarity was babbling it sounded like she was talking about her shop back in Ponyville.

“And then she asked for a jewel covered headdress with more feathers then I could count! Honestly, darlings it was huge!”

“I made the dolphin stitch!” Sweetie Bell squeaked as she scampered in to snag a pancake of her own.

“Hahaha, that’s great! I once made a costume to hide from a pack of flories!” The pegasus smiled.

“What’s a flory?” Asked Applejack.

“Nasty plant things. They suck out the life from the earth and ruin the soil. They’re like big flowery parasites.” The pegasus jumped onto a chair and smiled at Applejack. “Nice to meet you, I’m Masquerade.”

“Applejack.”

“Yeah, I guessed.” Masquerade grinned. “Whizzer wouldn’t shut up about your trip.”

“Now hold up, she’s a decent pony.” Applejack said, but Masquerade laughed.

“Don’t worry, I’m joking. You’ll find we’re pretty much all family here.” Masquerade snagged a bowl of oatmeal and a plate of hash browns and started to munch. “Isn’t that right, Buttons?”

Buttons, the unicorn, climbed up and grabbed some juice with her horn; she was the first of these odd ponies that used levitation that Applejack saw. Buttons nodded.

“So yer the only one that can use telekeenatic magic, right?” Applejack asked. Buttons nodded.

“I use it to make clothing with Masquerade here, though she focuses on costumes more then fashion.” Buttons said.

“I prefer making things for plays and shows, but if you need a spy in a pinch, I’m your pony.” Masquerade smiled.

“Ah’ll remember that next time I need a spy.” Applejack laughed.

“Buttons here has some wonderful designs of her own I’d like to adapt to Ponyville, with your permission of course.” Rarity smiled at Buttons. “I’d split the profit with you.”

“Aww, not sure what I’d do with…Equestrian, right? Equestrian money. I can’t imagine what I’d use it for.” Buttons shrugged.

“Food. Tools. Books like Twilight…” Applejack listed off.

“Food, Gingerbread and Cupcake make our food, and Posey, Cherries Jubilee and others grow our food. Tools, I have my horn, and if I need something else I can ask another pony for help. Books, well…if we need anything else we just trade with the other settlements around here.” Buttons shrugged. “Oh, but I bet I can use some of those foreign coins on a dress…”

Rarity chuckled. “That would be an interesting sight.”

“Not even the most snobby of Canterlot elite would put money on their dresses.” Applejack laughed.

“So your world is full of snobs, is it?”

Applejack turned and blinked at Magic Star, who had finally emerged from her room. Unfortunately she didn’t look any better for it. In fact, she seemed worse. Her coat was still a dull mustard color, and for a moment Applejack though she saw her eyes glint yellow in the dark like a cat’s. Her voice was low and strained, and her eyes had large black bags under them. Applejack could tell there was something off about her.

“Oh, hi Magic Star!” Masquerade smiled, but Magic Star snorted at her.

“Shut up. Don’t talk to me.” She prowled; yes it was defiantly a prowl, over to the tray of food and sniffed. She snorted, and then turned around. “Never mind, smells like dung.”

Gingerbread’s mouth slowly parted her eyes widening with shock. “But…you love my food.”

“Love your terrible food? I lied.” Magic Star snarled back. “Your food makes me sick. Your face makes me sick.” By now everyone was staring at Magic Star in disbelief.

“Now hold on a minute.” Applejack started, but Magic Star cut her off.

“You don’t tell me what to do you, you big eyed, bubble brained hick.” Magic Star stalked out of the kitchen, grumbling to herself, only to collide with Truly, who hadn’t been looking where she was going, as she and Paradise were talking. Truly turned her head.

“Why don’t ya watch where you’re going, Magic Star?” Truly said.

Magic Star roared. “Why don’t you give a damn about someone other then yourself you selfish, self centered, brain dead little slut!” Truly’s eyes widened with shock and she backed away a pace. “You make me sick!” Magic Star continued. “With you snobby little attitude and your irritating as hell voice and your damned selfish greedy…EVERTHING! You don’t do a thing around here and you expect us all to cater to you! And you!” Magic Star turned away from Truly, who was started to tear up from the verbal assault, to glare at Paradise. “You’re just as lazy and selfish as she is, except you’re worse! She’s just stupid, but I know you have a brain! You’re just don’t use it! You sit around telling STUPID stories to BABIES instead of getting off your fat flank and WORKING FOR ONCE IN YOUR LIFE! You half ass everything! We nearly lost our damn house cause you couldn’t be bothered to get off your butt and WORK!”

Paradise cringed. “M-magic Star…I…I…”

“I I I! Is that all you can say! For all the books you read you’re vocabulary is the size of a shrimp’s! Is that why you only read BABY BOOKS!” Magic Star bellowed.

“Magic Star, please settle down, you don’t mean any of that!” Buttons objected. Magic Star snorted and glared at her.

“You pipe down you worthless sack of meat!” Magic Star looked around, then stomped. “LOOK AT YOU ALL! If you’re not sitting on your butts being stupid you’re doing pointless things that no one gives a crap about! Who cares about sewing stupid glittery buttons on clothes we don’t even need in the first place! You’re all useless! Either me or Galaxy or Wind Whistler have to herd you around like children! And even then half the time you’re turning to a stupid CHILD to lead you! Yes I can see you there, Megan!” Magic Star turned to glare at Megan, who had just walked in from the outside to see what all the shouting was about.

Megan walked over and got to one knee next to Magic Star, who was panting by now. She reached out to pet her mane, and was about say something that would no doubt have been calming and gentle, had Magic Star not jerked back from her hand and slammed her front hoof against Megan’s chest, kicking her into a counter.

“GET YOUR FILTHY PAWS OFF ME YOU STINKING DIRTY APE!” Magic Star bellowed, and by now all of the Estate could hear her. Megan cringed away from Magic Star, tears in her eyes. Magic Star stared at her, then shook her head and placed a hoof on her forehead. “Gah…ah…”

“Magic Star.” The crazed pony looked up as Celestia and Majesty somehow managed to squeeze into the kitchen, both frowning in concern. Majesty walked over to Magic Star, who was now trembling. “Magic Star…this isn’t you.” Majesty said gently. “Please, let’s all calm down.”

Magic Star gasped, then looked around. For a moment a look of horrified despair crossed her face. “I…I…AH!” She pounded her head against a wall. “I hate you! I hate you all! STUPID QUEEN, I HATE YOU MOST OF ALL!” She turned and shoved her way back up the stairs, and for a moment a few ponies thought they saw her starting to cry as well.

Celestia frowned. “Majesty, Galaxy, Applejack, Rarity, we need to talk…I think I’ve seen this before…”

They nodded and followed Celestia outside. She sighed and looked at the sun for a moment, a sun she could not influence or control. Once she was sure they were out of earshot of everyone else, Celestia looked at the other four. “Applejack, Rarity, you remember what happened to Luna…and what that creature called itself?”

Rarity’s eyes widened. “Oh no, Princess, you think…it’s the Nightmare?”

“The Nightmare?” Majesty looked up back at the estate. “Of course…let me guess. The same thing happed with your sister?”

“A thousand years ago she began to act…strange. She was snippy. Insulting. Rude, and said things to me that normally she would never had said. I took it then as mere acting out, but…in the end she became Nightmare Moon. I could be wrong, and I hope I am, but after knowing she was in contact with a bit of the Nightmare taken form…” Celestia shook her head. “It is possible she has been corrupted.”

“How do we purify her?” Majesty asked.

“Last time we did it with the Elements.” Rarity said. “But I don’t know how we will do it now.”

“For now we should watch her, if she becomes violent though…” Celestia lowered her head. “I do not want to send another pony into exile.”

“With all due respect, Princess, that is not your call to make.” Majesty said. “We are her family, and we shan’t lose her. If I have to lock her up until we find a cure then we will do it. I will not enjoy it, but I will do so.” Majesty stamped. “I will not lose one of my children so soon after returning.”

Celestia nodded. “I understand. You have my support, Majesty.”

“Mine as well. It’s half my fault fer letting her get into that mess…” Applejack said as Rarity nodded, a determined look in her eyes.

“My thanks to you, friends, but-” Majesty lifted her head as Truly’s voice called out, screaming in terror. “Oh no, what is it now?” She turned and raced back the house, the other four hot on her heels.





Truly wasn’t a kind pony by nature, at least not to most. She was decent to the baby ponies, and she could really only tolerate the babies. But Magic Star…she knew Magic Star since they were foals. She wasn’t like that. And she had been crying. She was hurting, probably as much as she had hurt them. And so Truly was going to get to the bottom of this.

Truly didn’t bother to knock. Instead she just pushed her hoof against the door. When it proved to be locked she simply lifted a hoof and pressed it against the door. When this didn’t work either she turned and kicked three times, shattering the lock and letting her in. Truly pushed open the broken door and trotted in. She gasped.

Books lay around the room, some torn and stamped and utterly destroyed. Artifacts, from simple silly magic charms to actual full blow artifacts were strewn around the floor as well, in various states of disrepair. How no one had heard the crashing was a mystery. Magic Star sat in the middle of the floor, looking down at the floor and shuddering.

Truly wanted to leave, but she didn’t. She pressed on, walking up to Magic Star and sitting beside her.

“Get. Away. Truly.” Magic Star closed her eyes, hissing at her old friend.

“No. I know something is wrong. You need to come down and let us help you, dear. We all love you.”

“Love…love. I don’t want it…but no no I do. I want…I want…” Magic Star hissed again. “I don’t know what I want.”

“But you can’t want to be this way. You can’t want to hurt us.” Truly said. “It’s that Nightmare thing. It-“

“He corrupted me. You think I don’t know what’s going on? I know. I can feel it in me. Sliding across my brain. It hurts, Truly, except when it doesn’t. When I make you cry, when I hurt you, it feels good. But then I start to apologize, and it slices into my skull.” Magic Star shook her head. “It’s like knives. Right now. Used to just sting, now it rips. It hurts. I want to hurt you. If I hurt you the pain will go away.” Magic Star lifted her head and glared at Truly, her eyes starting to glow yellow. “I could push my hoof against your weak little throat and crush your windpipe, and it would feel so good. I would make me feel powerful. I could kill you, Truly. You should run, Truly. You should get away before I hurt you. Because I want to hurt you.” Magic Star leaned forwards, ears back, but Truly didn’t budge, didn’t show any signs of the terror that filled her. “I want it so badly…” Magic Star suddenly moved, pushing Truly to the ground and placing her hoof on Truly’s throat. “It will be so easy…”

“Do it. I won’t stop you.” Truly said. “I know I can be…mean. I know I’m not the easiest pony to get along with. But you, they look up to you. They all do. Even I do. Please, Magic Star. Please fight it. This isn’t you.”

“I…don’t want to. Why are you making this so difficult?!” Magic Star threw back her head. “I can’t!” She blinked. “But…I wonder…what does a crushed throat sound like?” She looked down, her smile suddenly wide and crazy, and her eyes glowed yellow. “Let’s find out, dear friend…” She pressed her hoof against Truly’s throat, and the other earth pony thrashed feebly, but only as a reflex. She didn’t even try to kick Magic Star, her legs instead moving weakly away from her mad friend. Her eyes began to bug out, and she gasped.

“You’re like…my…sister…” Truly gasped. “I love…you…”

At those words Magic Star reared back, letting Truly go. Truly gasped and raised her head. Magic Star backed up, cringing to the floor and pressing her hooves against her head.

“No…No, not…no. I can’t. I must. Oh please help me Truly it hurts! It hurts so much! I…I can’t…please take the pain away! Please! I can’t take it!” Tears gushed from Magic Star’s eyes. “I can’t take the pain, but if I give in I’ll hurt you! I’ll hurt all of you! Please! Stop me!”

Truly stood and backed away. At first it seemed like she was going to run down the stairs, but then she turned her head and bellowed. “Queen Majesty! Galaxy! Someone! Help!” She turned back to see Magic Star suddenly in front of her, grinning madly.

“I’ll eat your flesh and crunch your bones.” Magic Star laughed at the shocked look on Truly face.

She was still laughing when Majesty, Celestia, Applejack and Rarity arrived. Magic Star turned her head and giggled. “And what are you going to do now? I lied, you know. I knew exactly what he did, but I didn’t care…no no I do care! Please stop me. It’s getting worse! It’s in my head! I’m tearing apart!” Magic Star gasped. “He did this on purpose. He called me his herald. He’ll do the same to all of you and when he does I’ll laugh and laugh and I’ll help him! I don’t want to help him! Please, my Queen! Please stop the pain! Please stop me! Don’t hate me!” Magic Star’s voice slid from dark, evil gloating to pain filled guilty screams, literally in the middle of her sentences. Her eyes flashed, yellow, then normal, then yellow again. The two sides of her warred with each other, and none of the ponies knew exactly what to do to help as her mind fractured before their eyes.

Majesty, eyes filled with grief, walked over to Magic Star and nuzzled her, ignoring the mare’s sudden attempt to bite her. “My poor child…there is nothing you can say or do that will ever stop me from loving you. Somewhere the good part of you knows that. But I need to keep the others safe, and you safe, while I find the solution. I’ll protect you. Trust me.”

Magic Star smiled. “I trust you. I’ll rip our your throat and dance on your bones. I love you. I’ll watch you burn.” She blinked. “I’m so confused…”

“I know, dear one. It’s alright.” Majesty’s horn glowed, and a shimmering waterfall of light encircled Magic Star. The magic solidified until Magic Star was surrounded in a spacious silver cage. Majesty had left enough space for Magic Star to move around, and even teleported her bed inside. “Behave, Magic Star, or I will have to take further measures.”

Magic Star laughed, her eyes flickering to yellow, and staying there. “This won’t stop him. Not for long. I can feel it. I can taste it. It’s so sweet, Majesty. You’re a fool. You’ll all die, and I’ll enjoy every minute of it…or you’ll be like me. We’ll be a family again, oh yes…a family of dark ponies.” She smiled. “It will be glorious.”

“No, Magic Star.” Majesty said. “I will free you from this torment. I promise. Don’t give up.”

“Give up? I haven’t given up.” Magic Star laughed. “But I will enjoy watching you fall.”

Majesty sighed and turned away, looking down at Truly. “We can’t leave her alone. Have someone keep a watch on her at all times.”

Truly nodded. “Of course.” She sat in front of Magic Star, eyes filling up with grief as Magic Star simply smiled at her, a sick twisted version of the once kind earth pony’s true smile.

“I won't give up on you, Magic Star.” Truly said as the others left them alone.

Magic Star just laughed.




In the palace of what had once been the Royal Paradise, the sixe corrupted Princess Ponies stood in a circle around the throne room. Eyes locked on a newly erected altar; the six of them sat totally still, eager eyes on the scene before them. Chrysalis hovered near the ceiling, her Changeling guard surrounding her and offering security. Scree, goblins, Changelings, evil troggles, and other monsters covered the island. Most kept their eyes on the sea in case of a sudden invasion, but a few kept glancing at the palace in anticipation.

Hydia stood at the front of the altar, a book on a stand in front of her. The Pony of Shadows stood next to her, licking his ethereal lips in eagerness. Reeka, somehow back from Equestria, stood behind her mother, holding a sack. Across from Hydia was a small, almost unassuming troggle. He wore armor that seemed to be made of pony bones, and he held a long staff adorned with a pony head.

“Now, necromancer of Grogar.” The Pony of Shadows said. “Is this…sufficient?” The Pony nodded at Reeka, who poured the contents of the sack on the alter. A pile of dust emerged, totally black. The troggle frowned.

“We shall need more bones to aid in the construction.” He said.

“We have some more.” The Pony looked at Reeka again, who, with a mild grumble, lifted what looked like human and pony bones unto the altar. “Now, begin your ritual. Raise the bones of Tirac.”

The troggle nodded and lifted his staff above the ash and bones. Dark purple energy started to swirl around the skull, and the troggle began to chant. A dark, horrible sound of whistling wind, carrying what sounded like the moans of the dead, echoed on the wind as the troggle waved his staff. The energy blinked, and spiraled independently of the troggle’s staff. With a sudden thrust of the staff over the bones, the energy began to flow into the bones. The human parts of the torso and head lifted to connect to the pony parts. Locking and snapping into place, what now stood upon the altar was a crushed together representation of a centaur. It was, perhaps, a bit shorter then the original, but then again they couldn’t find a horse body, and the human bones were small as well.

“It will do.” The Pony of Shadows murmured. “It will do.”

The ash began to settle on the bones, covering the skeleton with a coating of black soot. The bones trembled; purple light sealing any cracks and malformations in the skeleton. The troggle nodded to the Pony of Shadows.

“A bit of the soul remains in the ash, but it is not enough to make it fully intelligent. There will be some memories, nothing more.” The troggle said.

“That is where I come in.” The Pony of Shadows smiled, and then stepped upon the altar. “Hydia. Now.”

Hydia raised her arms and chanted a spell, Reeka stepping back a bit. Sickly green energy, a bit different from the purple of before, soaked the Pony of Shadows as Hydia chanted. The bone centaur stepped forward, and the Pony of Shadows leapt at the thing. Inky black muck latched onto the bones, flowing over and gripping the skeleton in a tight embrace. The darkness surrounded the skeleton, and soon the entire thing was covered in the Pony of Shadow’s ooze. Hydia screamed one last word of power, and the green showered the combined skeleton and shadow.

The Pony of Shadows could see. He could see the little ponies that defeated Tirac. No him. He could remember being Tirac. He could remember the rage and anger he felt when Scorpan betrayed him. Scorpan would die. Painfully. He could remember being Nightmare Moon. He remembered Princess Celestia. She would see her people bow before him eagerly before she died. He could remember being the Pony of Shadows, slowly gaining consciousness as the bit that had been left over from Nightmare Moon’s banishment soaked up the Chaos energy from Discord’s seeds, the Chaos giving it, him, a mind. He was all three. Tirac’s body, devoid of soul save for a few fragmented memories, and the Nightmare’s fragmented soul as formed by a thousand years of existing outside of Nightmare Moon and soaking up Discord’s chaos. He was better then any of them now, so much more then the sum of his parts. He was one. He was the Darkness now. He was complete. And all of his foes, both Tirac’s and the Nightmare’s, would fall.

The green energy dissipated, and what stood before them was the image of Tirac. A bit shorter, due to his different bone structure, and his fur appeared to be wet, and a bit of tar flowed around his hooves. But it was Tirac. The face, the body, it was almost all the same. Tirac smiled, yellow eyes glinting. Or maybe he was not Tirac, but more like the child of Tirac and Nightmare Moon. Perhaps he should call himself Nightmare Tirac? Or just Tirac? No matter. Names could come later.

“Excellent. Just one more step, before I can execute my revenge, and bring forth the Night.” He raised his head and smiled at the Heart of Ponyland, which was placed at the feet of the throne behind him. He walked forwards and placed his hand on the surface of the heart, and the thing seemed to tremble at his touch. He smiled as the darkness flowed from his armed and caked the Heart in thick black muck, surrounded by swirling shadow. The Heart seemed to scream in pain in his mind…then he could feel Dream Valley. He could sense everything, from the traitor Scorpan’s little realm, to the unsuspecting ponies of Bright Valley, to the even more unsuspecting ponies in Ponyland. He could see his new…servant, sitting in a cage.

Hello, my pet. He mentally connected with Magic Star, as he could with all who had been touched by Nightmare. So they put you in a cage? Of course. They fear you now.

No…no, leave me alone! Magic Star's shivered in her cage.

It hurts, I know. I am coming for you…how interesting. You both shiver in anticipation and horror. It won’t be long now before you succumb anyway. I only gave you a bit of the Nightmare, but even a bit will utterly corrupt the subject. It’s all a matter of time, my dear, before you are kneeling before me.

I’ll…warn them.

No pet, you won’t.

No. Magic Star’s mind wept as she felt the parts of her that were Magic Star slowly fading away, to be replaced by a twisted thing that could only serve her new master. No, I won’t.

Of course not.

But for now, there was something more important to take care of. The ponies were completely busy with the corrupted Magic Star. Even if they knew what he was going to do, they were to far away to stop it. And Magic Star would do her part in distracting them, even if a bit unwillingly. She couldn’t help it. Not anymore. And now was the moment.

Tirac opened his eyes and smiled at the assembly of evil. “Now, our victory. We have won. Dream Valley is ours.” Tirac lifted his hand from the Heart, and the dark ooze started to flow from the Heart. “As the lava demons once used it to make the land crystal, so too shall the Heart turn Dream Valley into the Vale of Nightmare once more. Eternal Night shall reign, and after that the darkness shall flow into Equestria.” Tirac looked at the Changelings above him. “Your kind will be free to take as many Equestrians as your food, and the land will belong to you.” He looked at Hydia. “You may take the land that was once your own.” He then looked at the troggles. “And you will get your revenge on the ponies that defeated your master, and have an opportunity to raise him back.” Tirac smiled and sat down on his new throne. And I will rule over all of you. And if even one of you step out of line…I will have the ponies destroy you. They will be my army soon. All except Majesty. She will watch her corrupted people serve me, until I let her die. How…poetic. The creatures that caused the downfall of both my predecessors shall soon be my subjects. Once they are corrupted, I won’t even have to enslave them! They will bow willingly.

The dark creature laughed. “Now, the Night shall truly never end!”

The surrounding monsters and fiends cheered as the muck and shadow slid across the sea, heading for Bright Valley, and a new set of corrupted slaves for Tirac.