• Published 22nd Feb 2014
  • 1,668 Views, 355 Comments

Starswirl's Journal - AlesFlamas



Genius, mad scientist or simple unicorn who caught a lucky break? Starswirl's journal shall reveal all.

  • ...
7
 355
 1,668

PreviousChapters Next
Letters from Rain #5

As it turned out, a great many of the Oracles were willing to help me escape. Since the conception of our convent, leading up to the very moment I had joined, the vast majority of them had manged to foresee one way or another, that Negra Beliza and it's ruling house was doomed to fall. None knew how, why or when, but all figured my escape would put into motion whatever those events might be. And so we began to plot.

My father is a great many things, but a fool is not one of them. I knew and my fellow Oracles knew that if I was to have any chance of escape, it would have to be through some order of my father's. Fortunately, through my telepathic skills, I learned a great many things about my father that he likely thought me ignorant to. For instance, the fact that I was little more than a tool to him, something with which he might achieve greater strength. With this knowledge, I was able to devise a plan incredibly simple, yet also incredibly difficult, as failure would result in the swift execution of the entire order of Oracles, save for those who had chosen not to aid me. On the eve of my sixteenth birthday, I had my teacher attack me, as though after my life. It was an incredibly convincing display, and I still have a few scars, testaments to her dedication to free me. As you might imagine my father was quite frightened, and had her imprisoned pending execution. When he asked me what might have compelled her to assault me so, I told him I had sensed an unknown presence in her mind, controlling her actions from afar. I hadn't been able to attach an identity to the thoughts, but I could sense an intent. A unrelenting desire to have me murdered, a goal at which the unknown assailant would stop at nothing to have achieved. I remember the look of utter terror on my father's face fondly.

He had me shipped of the next day, and told me not to return until he had made absolutely sure it was safe. He said he would have eyes everywhere, keeping an lookout for me, so to make sure I didn't do anything stupid. I promised him and made haste to the only place my father was sure not to venture: Gilded Lily, though it wasn't called that at the time. Unfortunately, but also fortunately, my father never contacted me. What makes that so unfortunate, you might ask? The answer to that is simple. My brother contacted me.

I don't believe I ever mentioned my brother. Well I have one. And he's just as nasty and power-hungry as my father. I'd say more so, considering he murdered both of our parents to acquire the throne. His first course of action after doing so, naturally, was to send a contingent of soldiers after me to ensure I wouldn't return to take what he had worked so hard to gain. I remember the king told you that the unicorns who had killed his sister claimed to have been hired by Commander Stormchaser. That's a lie. They were hired by my brother, Sombra del Toro the second. And they were sent to kill me.

PreviousChapters Next