• Published 10th Dec 2013
  • 19,440 Views, 1,855 Comments

My Family and Other Equestrians - Blade Star



A HiE fic with a twist. Our protagonist is not alone. How does one approach being in Equestria, when their family is along for the ride?

  • ...
98
 1,855
 19,440

PreviousChapters Next
Interlude 9 - Earning My Wings

My brother has never really talked much about his ‘change’. I’ve sort of gotten used to how he is now, a pony I mean. It’s probably always going to be a little weird that I tower over my older brother by a clear foot and a half and that we aren’t the same species. Never mind how he’s not even the same species as Mum and Dad. If somepony asks me if I have siblings, I tell them yes and point to Blade Star, as he now calls himself. I usually get a few odd looks for that.

Regardless of all that though, I never really wondered what it must be like for my big brother. When I woke up here, I had two blessings; I had my mum and dad by my side and I was still me. Not even Twilight has been able to give a decent explanation as to why it happened, but my brother only got one of those turns of good luck. Everypony has gotten used to it now though. Hell, Dad says he might even be hooking up with Applejack soon enough. I’m still not sure what to make of that yet. But, he’s in a completely different body; different limbs, nose, ears, eyes, not to mention the medium size horn sticking out of his head. I could never understand how he coped with it all.

As it turned out though, circumstances conspired against me to see that I did.


It was now well into springtime, tomorrow it would be the first of April. Luckily neither I nor Fluttershy liked pranking ponies; Fluttershy even had a general exemption with Pinkie Pie so she wouldn’t prank her, knowing that it might upset her, even if it was meant to be a bit of harmless fun. Me though, I was fair game as far as Pinkie and Rainbow were concerned, so I would have to be on my guard.

I was just finishing setting out the insects for the local bats, and the occasional scraps of meat for the foxes and other night time scavengers when Fluttershy called me from inside the cottage.

“Lizzie!” she called, at a volume unusually high for her. “Can you come back here a moment; there’s somepony I want you to meet.”

Setting down a few more scraps as well as a few old eggs from Fluttershy’s little flock of chickens I began to make my way back. I’m no scaredy cat, but I don’t like being outside, so close to the Everfree Forest after dark. My brother says it’s kind of like a forest on Earth, but in the time I’ve lived here with Fluttershy, I’ve seen some seriously screwed up things come out of there. So, you’ll forgive me if I say I hurried back. I found Fluttershy still standing in the doorway when I got there.

“Hey, Fluttershy, what’s up?” I asked as I walked through the little picket fence. Fluttershy noticeably brightened up as I approached, she flapped her wings a couple of times to bring herself closer to eye level with me. It makes chatting easier and being a pegasus, I guess it’s natural behaviour for her.

“I just thought I should let you know, a friend of mine has dropped by and asked if he could spend the night here. I didn’t want you to be startled by bumping into him without any warning.” I was surprised; I didn’t know Fluttershy had any guy friends. Maybe she wasn’t quite as meek as she thought she was.

“Oh, okay, sure,” I replied. “I guess he’s taking the couch then?” Fluttershy nodded just as the kettle began to whistle in the kitchen.

“Oh, I had better get that. Why don’t you go and introduce yourself to him. He’s a really friendly guy once you get to know him. Just don’t let his,” she paused to think of the right word. “Eccentric nature put you off.” I furrowed my brow at that.

“Right, if you say so, Flutters. What’s his name?”

“Discord.”


I’d heard about Discord from my brother, my dad as well as a few of the ponies. By all accounts he was something of a mixed bag. My brother tried to describe his personality to me once, but he kept going on and on about that Star Trek show he likes. I mean, what the hell is a Q when it’s at home? Twilight gave me a better idea, saying he was a bit of a trickster as well as a powerful magic user. She also said he could be annoying as hell at times, but he’d recently undergone a reformation of sorts. Looking through her history books, this Discord had once upon a time been a major threat to Equestria.

But in spite of this, I like to approach new people, or ponies, with an open mind. And to be fair, it is kind of easy to get the male side of our family mad. My brother can be really uptight sometimes and Dad only finds pranks and jokes funny if he’s not on the receiving end. Besides, we’d have to get along if the three of us were going to be together in such a confined space.

I headed on into the small living room that acted as the main area for Fluttershy’s animal care. Now, one thing I must stress is that at no point had anypony told me about Discord physically. I knew all about his history and his personality; but nopony told me what he looked like. So you’ll cut me some slack if I say I nearly jumped out of my skin when I saw him reclining on the sofa.

I was expecting a pony. What I got was a pony, and also a goat, and also a lizard, and also a bird. He looked like the result of a zoo being involved in a car crash. And that didn’t even consider those creepy mismatched eyes, never mind that he was even taller than Princess Celestia. Still, best foot forward.

“Hi, you must be Discord,” I said, trying to keep the nervousness out of my voice. “I’m Lizzie.” Discord looked up.

“Ah yes, Fluttershy told me she had a roommate these days,” he said, looking up from his restive position. “Permit me to introduce myself; I am Discord. Spirit of Chaos and Disharmony, though at present I’m trying out this new ‘reformed’ gig to see how it goes.”

I don’t think there’s any answer to that. He carried on anyway with his introduction.

“Fluttershy was actually the one good enough to show me a little bit of kindness after I was released from my previous ‘incarceration’. So, I drop by here every now and again to say hi. And of course to have a little fun.” He chortled to himself. “Ponyville is a veritable gold mine this time of year. But enough about me, do tell me about yourself, Lizzie. I’ve had the pleasure of meeting your brother and your father on a few occasions now, but you female humans have previously eluded me.”

I wasn’t exactly aware how I had ‘eluded’ Discord. I’d not left Ponyville since we got settled here after returning from Canterlot. I quickly reminded myself of one of Twilight’s notes on him; he loved to talk in riddles and mess with peoples’ heads.

“Well, I’ve been living with Fluttershy here pretty much since we all turned up in Equestria. I do my bit to help out with the animals and I chip in when I can,” I replied. “Still, some stuff Fluttershy has to do for herself. Like, she has to make trips to Cloudsdale sometimes, and I can’t follow her up there without a balloon. But I do what I can here on the ground; it sure makes Fluttershy’s workload a lot lighter.”

Discord listened with what seemed to be extreme interest. He had leaned back into the sofa and had formed his talon and paw together in a steeple, as if he was thinking about something really deeply.

“Yes, I suppose you are somewhat restricted,” he said, still thinking with his eyes closed. “Even a more ground favouring pegasus like Fluttershy does need to go places nopony else can from time to time. Though I suppose you could ask your newest princess to cast a cloud walking spell for you. Not a problem for me though, as chaotic as I am, even I have to resort to the magic of flight from time to time.”

Discord then began to sort of float in the air in front of me. Seeing such a large and ungainly being fly so stably was kind of unsettling. On his back, I could see a pair of wings, one from a typical bird, quite similar to a pegasus wing, and another that looked like it belonged on a small dragon. Eventually, after this demonstration ended, he settled himself back down.

“Ah, flying is truly a remarkable experience, Lizzie,” he paused and cracked open an eye to look at me, as if he expected me to do or say something in response.

“I’m content to stay on the ground thank you very much,” I replied. “Besides, it’s not like I’m about to sprout wings or anything. Hell, I’m not even totally sure how Fluttershy can fly, never mind you; the pair of you have wings that are far too small.” Discord opened his mouth to respond, but I cut him off. “And don’t say ‘it’s magic’; that doesn’t count.”

At this point Fluttershy came back in to say that dinner was ready. The three of us sat down together to eat in the kitchen. Discord had certainly come across as odd, but I hadn’t seen anything that everypony else had been complaining about. He came across as an okay guy, weird yes, but still okay.

A while after dinner, Fluttershy and I headed off to bed, whilst Discord said he wanted to stay up a little while longer to and I quote ‘work on a couple of projects’. This confused both of us a little, but since we could find no apparent malign intent in what he had said, Fluttershy simply asked him to make sure he worked quietly and didn’t disturb any of her animals that also slept in the various houses that adorned the living room. The two of us went to bed, expecting tomorrow to be just another day.


From the moment I woke up the next morning, I knew something wasn’t quite right. I felt stiff and ached, as if I’d not slept in a comfortable bed at all. All my limbs were slow to respond like I’d slept on them, and in general, I felt as if I was made of jelly.

Eventually, I managed to roll myself over onto my front and I moved to use my arms to push myself up. Normally, I had to be careful when I rolled in my bed. Whilst it was long enough to accommodate my larger frame, due to the size of our shared bedroom, it had to be thinner than you’d expect from a typical bed. What I’d just done should have sent me tumbling down onto the floor.

Pushing up with my arms, I managed to get my upper half off the mattress. Here was the first big indicator something was wrong; I couldn’t feel my knees, at all. My legs didn’t seem to be bending properly; I’d get partially up and then be unable to move without pain. For a horrifying moment, I thought my legs were broken or something equally silly. Huffing and puffing from my unusually difficult exertion, I looked down and saw the first truly weird thing. My arms were both teal coloured.

I think my brother, internally, had a similar reaction to what he saw when he first woke up in Equestria. I calmly followed the strange teal limb back up to my chest, which was now also teal coloured. Looking back, I found the reason my legs weren’t functioning; they were now hind legs and not designed to bend the way bipedal ones are. Beyond those was a brunette coloured tail. Finally, I briefly crossed my eyes and found a short rounded muzzle where my nose had once been.

With that little inspection completed, I proceeded to do the most logical, calm and rational thing I could think to do at the time. I screamed like a little girl.

I’m fairly certain the entire animal population, as one, bolted out of the cottage when I started screaming. Hell, I was trying to bolt, as the fear hit me, I began to sort of backpedal on the bed, getting myself tangled up in the sheets and quickly falling onto my back.

The only being who didn’t run for the hills at my outburst was Fluttershy. She shot out of bed probably at a speed faster than Rainbow Dash and quickly came to see what the matter was. By this point, my panicking had resulted in me covering myself with the bed sheets completely.

“Lizzie?! Lizzie?! What is it? What’s the matter?” Fluttershy called as I continued to scream wildly. The probably equally frightened mare quickly began to push aside my coverings and quickly pulled me into a hug. “Shh, it’s okay, it’s okay; I’m here.” I finally stopped screaming and quietened down to a frightened whimper. Releasing me from her hug, she actually now had a chance to look at me. Somehow her butter yellow coat grew even paler and her pupils shrank to the size on pinpricks.


We both sat there for a few minutes, each of us completely shocked at what we were seeing. It seemed that whatever had happened to my brother had now happened to me. I was damn scared. I didn’t mind the ponies, but I didn’t want to be one of them. Okay, sure, at times, being one of only three humans on the planet can be a little inconvenient, but it was who I was. The two of us just sat there, until eventually, Fluttershy managed to summon up the courage to say something.

“You’re….you’re a pegasus,” she said, her voice barely above a whisper. My own eyes widened at that.

I turned my head around to look down along my back. Sure enough, along with my newly acquired teal coat was a pair of equally teal wings. After a short while trying to find the various muscles, I managed to get them to open slowly. They were about the size of normal pegasi wings and presumably, worked. I didn’t dare try to flap them though; I didn’t know the first thing about flying.

Having made this discovery, I became curious as to what I actually looked like now. Fluttershy and I slowly made our way over to the large mirror that sat in the corner of the room. It took a fair bit of effort. Just like my brother, I wasn’t used to being a quadruped and walking was very difficult. I leant on Fluttershy for support and she eventually managed to help me find the natural rhythm. Looking in them mirror; I had the first chance to fully examine myself.

I was about the same size and proportion as Fluttershy was, not surprising considering we were both young adults. My build was slightly thicker than hers, but not that noticeably. My wings however, looked well maintained and quite similar to Rainbow’s. Since Fluttershy didn’t fly much, and was a fairly weak flyer by her own admission, it was to be expected. I also now of course, had a mane and tail, both of which were a very dark brown colour. Aside from the slight bedhead, (or should that be bedmane now?) my new hair was fairly similar to how I usually styled it. It was quite long like Fluttershy’s but noticeably thicker and fuller. In contrast, my tail was much shorter and didn’t trail on the floor. I then looked to my, erm, flank.

“Hey, what do you make of this, Fluttershy?” I said. Fluttershy tuned from the mirror to look.

“Oh, you have a cutie mark too,” she said. I examined the mark more closely.

It was certainly an odd sort of thing. It was a small musical note, connected to it was a pair of silver wings. I wasn’t sure what to make of it. My brother had woken up with his cutie mark, and he wasn’t really sure what it meant, though he liked to say it meant he was good at protecting others. This though, I had no idea. A note obviously represented music, but the wings seemed out of place. As I continued to stare at my own rear end, Fluttershy spoke up.

“We had better go and see Twilight,” she said. “I’m sure she’ll have some way to reverse this.” She then paused to nuzzle me comfortingly. As we headed downstairs, we found Discord had left a note, explaining that he’d gone to sort out a few things. I wondered why he hadn’t come up to see what was going on. I certainly knew he wouldn’t have bolted out of the house with all the animals, except Angel, of course. Since he knew a fair bit about magic, he’d probably be able to help too


We managed to get to the library without too much trouble, although I did get the odd stare since nopony had seen me before. Fluttershy and I reached the library a little bit after nine. Spike had just stepped out to switch the sign on the door. He spotted the two of us as we walked up.

“Hey Fluttershy,” he called out. “Who’s your friend?” Fluttershy looked about uneasily. Deciding to skip the explanation, I just spoke.

“Hi Spike,” I said. He instantly recognised my voice and his reptilian eyes went wide. Eyes going wide seemed to be a recurring theme today. “I think I need to talk to Twilight.” The perplexed little dragon promptly led the two of us inside and called Twilight away from her early morning study session. He returned dragging her down the stairs.

“Twilight, you’re not gonna believe this,” I could hear him saying. “Lizzie’s turned into a pegasus, just like that!” The response was immediate. A bright flash appeared in front of us and the lavender alicorn appeared directly in front of us.

“She’s what?!” she exclaimed.

With some effort, we managed to get Twilight to disregard the incredibly fascinating nature of this happening and got her to examine me. She cast a few spells on me and performed what she called a ‘magical source inversion scan’. At first she thought I might be an imposter and looked for any magic that might allow that, but having proved I was who I claimed to be, she set about trying to determine the cause of my transformation.

We all sat there for another ten minutes whilst Twilight worked until we were all interrupted by another arrival in the library.

Like Twilight, my brother came in via teleport. I expected at first he’d dropped by for his usual magic lessons with Twilight. Over the past few months he’d gotten pretty good at quite a few spells. He still said he couldn’t hold a candle to Twilight when she had been a unicorn, but he claimed he could certainly trump somepony called Trixie. As soon as he arrived though it became clear that he also needed help. His desperate cries for help were something of a giveaway.

“Twilight! Get them off!” he wailed. “Get them off! Get them off! Get them off! Get them off! Get them off!” He was flailing around desperately and seemed to be almost attacking himself. His back legs were furiously scratching against his sides, and every now and then he turned his head and tried to snap at himself. This went on until Twilight ran of patience and seized him in her magical grasp, holding him still and somehow zipped his mouth shut.

“Blade Star what in the name of Celestia are you on about?” she exclaimed. Quite suddenly though, she gasped out loud, as did Fluttershy and released him, causing to land on his head on the library floor.

My transformation, to my mind at least, was a pretty major one. I’d switched species, switched diets and gained the ability to fly presumably. However, Twilight seemed far more surprised and perhaps slightly mortified at the extremely minor change my brother had undergone.

I mean, they were only wings.

Author's Note:

Proofread by Sidetrack.

And now I get executed and hung from a lamppost for turning Blade Star into an alicorn. Don't fret, it's not permanent.

However, Lizzie's transformation, I leave up to you guys. Many of you have commented on Lizzie not having a love interest as she is the only single human. So, should she stay a pegasus or not? Comment below and whichever side gets the most will go forward.

PreviousChapters Next