• Published 10th Dec 2013
  • 19,423 Views, 1,855 Comments

My Family and Other Equestrians - Blade Star



A HiE fic with a twist. Our protagonist is not alone. How does one approach being in Equestria, when their family is along for the ride?

  • ...
97
 1,855
 19,423

PreviousChapters Next
Chapter 45 - Nightmare Night - Part 1

I was standing in my room back on Sweet Apple Acres, the setting sun cast long shadows across the floor. In another half hour or so it would officially be Nightmare Night, Equestria’s answer to All Hallows Eve. I’d been running around for a couple days in preparation.

Ever since my most recent magic lesson, where I had inadvertently stumbled on the very basic spell that caused my eyes and horn to alter, I had settled on my costume choice. Tonight, I was not a human turned unicorn, currently stranded in Equestria. No, tonight I was King Sombra, ruler of the Crystal Empire, terror of the Frozen North. Amongst the various items I had had to acquire to pull this off was of course, a long red robe with a white border. This elegant and surprisingly comfortable piece of clothing had been acquired from Rarity, who had been taking orders for Nightmare Night.

After acquiring that, I had headed over to the post office in Ponyville to send off for the armour set I would also need. This included a strong metal chest piece and four armoured horseshoes with cuffs. These would be acquired from a specialised metal works in Baltimare, whose main customer was the Royal Guard.

The last piece was Sombra’s signature crown. This was actually made by me, Big Mac and Spike. The design was extremely ornate, particularly in comparison with the other pieces of armour. It started as a single silver band, which of course had to be made up to fit my own head. Spike heated the metal to a malleable temperature, and then Big Mac and I formed it into the correct shape in the barn. We then cooled it, and ensured that it was a good fit. All that remained then was to weld on the various parts onto the crown. To that end, Spike availed himself as a welding torch.

All of these things were now placed on my bed in front of me. And with the sun just dipping below the horizon, all I had to do was put it on.

I started with the chest piece of the armour, the most difficult. Were I not a unicorn, it would have been impossible without help as all the clasps were on the back. These of course would be hidden by the red cape that helped mark Sombra out as a monarch. The cape actually came next as it fitted over the chest armour. With that fastened around my neck, my cutie mark and almost all of my tail was obscured. My movement was also a little restricted as the armour wrapped around my neck. My tail of course, along with my mane had been dyed black, though I couldn’t quite get the shadow look. I had dyed them an hour earlier; I didn’t want to risk sullying the costume, least of all the cape, with black dye.

The horseshoes and armoured cuffs were the most trying. While it was easy enough to slip the first horseshoe on, each became progressively difficult as the shoes made it difficult to grab things. Once again I cheated and used a spot of telekinesis. Once on, they were not as restrictive as the main armour, they did make my hooves feel a bit heavier, and the cold metal sent chills up my legs each time they touched my skin.

Now came the final step, the ‘dark magic’ look. I moved to the mirror in the corner of my room. Using the spell Twilight had taught me, I allowed the smallest amount of dark magic to manifest. This was barely even readable as dark magic, being only 0.15 above the background level. At once, the strange bubbling purple and green mix that was dark magic enveloped my horn. This quickly spread to my eyes as well, which turned almost white. When everything cleared, my horn had transformed into a sort of inverted fang that was grey at the base and grew redder as you reached the tip. My eyes now oozed a strange purple cloud and my irises became red. To complete the effect, I inserted a pair of fangs into the roof of my mouth.

All that remained was the crown. I certainly looked the part. With that placed carefully atop my head, I was the spitting image of the dethroned tyrant of not so long ago. Smiling into the mirror, I said the one thing that came to mind.

“Crystals.”


With my costume complete, I headed downstairs. Applejack was going to spend the entirety of the festival with me. The event seemed as good an opportunity as any to test the waters regarding matters of the heart. AJ hadn’t told me what she would be going as this year when I asked her, stating that it was a surprise. Naturally, I kept silent on my own costume in kind. Big Mac would once again be looking after the hay rides, his strength allowed him to pull the heavy cart filled with cheering foals all night long.

Apple Bloom had also been unusually cagey on her costume choice. I had managed to learn that she was working in concert with the rest of the Cutie Mark Crusaders, but little else. It seemed as if everypony was holding their cards close to their chest this year.

When I reached the bottom of the stairs, I could see Applejack in the kitchen; she was finishing the last of the candied apples. Now, while I am not usually a prankster by nature, it was Nightmare Night. So, very quietly, I began to sneak up on the cowpony. This was not an easy feat due to the metal armour that I wore. However, she seemed quite occupied with her work, so she didn’t notice my approach.

I managed to sneak right behind her. Holding my position for a moment, she continued to busy herself with culinary delights. Then I struck. I’d managed to achieve a pretty decent impersonation of Sombra’s raspy voice. It’s difficult when there is so little dialogue to work with.

“Crystal slaves,” I rasped menacingly.

Applejack glanced behind and instantly spotted me. I’ve never seen the colour drain from somepony’s face so quickly. After all, I was a spitting image of the dead king and she’d come face to face with the genuine article. Applejack immediately screamed in fright. I’d expected her to bolt or fall over herself in an attempt to escape. But this was Applejack. Instead I made two new friends; Bucky McGillycuddy and ‘Kicks’ McGee.

Applejack delivered her signature applebuck clean into me, with both hooves. Needless to say, I went flying. I may have also seen a few stars. The defensive move left me laid out on the floor. Miraculously, nothing seemed to be broken and no blood had been drawn. I groaned slightly as I got back to my hooves.

“Ooh, dammit, that smarts,” I complained. AJ quickly realised her mistake.

“Oh hayseed! Blade Star ah’m so sorry! Are you okay?” She was instantly fussing over me like a mother hen.

“Ah’m fine, ‘Jack. Ah’m fine,” I replied, gingerly rubbing my snout. “That’s what ah get for tryin’ to sneak up on you.” Applejack took a closer look at my costume.

“That is a mighty fine costume there. When ah saw you, I thought for a moment you were the real deal.” Her eyes then drifted to my own and my horn. “Er, Sugarcube, not to be rude or nothin’, but what the hay is up with your horn and your eyes?” I smiled.

“Well, ah figured if ah was gonna go as Sombra, ah was gonna do it right. It’s the tiniest bit of dark magic, perfectly safe, so don’t you worry none.” Applejack looked a bit concerned for my safety but otherwise accepted it. “Anyway, where’s your costume, festival starts in half an hour.”

“Just finishin’ up these candied apples, Blade Star.” She turned off the stove. “Shoot, ah might as well get it done now.” With that she headed upstairs to her room to change.


Applejack, in the manner of mares, was upstairs for quite some time. She had not dropped me a single hint on what her costume might be. I’d loved her scarecrow costume from last year. It then dawned on me that I didn’t really know what anypony was going as this year. Twilight had dashed off to collect hers before I had a chance to ask her, and the subject hadn’t really come up in conversation with anypony else. I wasn’t even sure what my own family were doing.

My thoughts were interrupted by the sound of a door opening upstairs. At last the elusive Applejack emerges! What I saw, well, it surprised me to say the least.

Standing at the top of the stairs was Applejack alright, but in a light I’d never seen her in. Her costume for the evening was a long flowing red dress, clearly one of Rarity’s designs. To say it was alluring would be an understatement. On her hooves were two pairs on equally red high heeled shoes. Around her neck was a small but nonetheless noticeable gold necklace, with a small golden apple hanging from the chain. Finally, she had forgone her usual Stetson. Instead, she had let her mane out of her typical ponytail, her actual tail was concealed under the dress, and had let it simply flow down her neck and across her back.

At that point, my brain’s higher functions pretty much cut out on me. I may not be looking for love but the way she was gussied up, it was impossible not to stare.

Not that I was checking her out or anything. I’m a gentlecolt after all.

“Well, Sugarcube. What do you thing?” she asked. Coherent thought was still difficult for me, never mind coherent speech. Hence:

“Err, wow.” AJ cocked an eyebrow at me and began to walk down the stairs. This only further frazzled my mind. Suffice it to say, you had to be there to describe it. As she reached me, I caught the scent of fine perfume on her.

“Ah thought ah might try goin’ this year as one of those fancy ponies from Manehatten,” she said. “Do you like it?” My mind instantly responded ‘Fleur ain’t got nothin’ on you!’ and proceeded to wolf whistle. Luckily, my mind was still unable to get my mouth to do as it wished. So a few seconds later, when I had collected myself, I managed to churn out:

“Yeah, you look great.” I instantly misinterpreted my own comment and began to blush. With a King Sombra costume on, I must have looked pretty foalish. Desperately, I sought to move things along. “Well, er, how about we head on out?” AJ nodded and we headed out for town.


The festivities were already in full swing by the time we got to Ponyville. We’d left Granny Smith back at the farmhouse this time around. As Applejack had predicted, she’d quickly fought off whatever she’d come down with, though Nurse Redheart insisted that she rest up for a couple more days to allow her immune system to properly reassert itself.

The centre of town was bustling with all sorts of stalls, from all sorts of foodstuffs, such as the ones the Apple family had provided to haunted houses and of course the costume contests for the kids. While I didn’t mind dressing up for Nightmare Night, I figured I was a bit old to be entering costume contests.

We quickly ran into Twilight, who was helping Mayor Mare manage the various events. She’d gone for an unusual costume; a pony who was both real, and yet did not exist; A.K. Yearling. She’d dyed her coat the same tan colour as the author and wore a similar purple cloak and grey hat. A pair of oversized reading glasses sat upon her snout. Standing with her was of course the mayor, who was reprising her clown costume, along with Spike.

Spike too had put a lot of effort in this year. In exact opposite to his choice last year, this time he wore the suit of armour of a knight of yore. An oversized helmet covered his head, though he had rigged the visor open. I recalled a friend of mine who’d dressed up as Master Chief once. The only way he could communicate was by Bluetooth headset. That was slightly creepy.

“Howdy, Spike. Hey, Twilight,” Applejack said, as we walked up to the trio. “Evening Mayor.” Twilight looked up from whatever she was discussing.

“Oh hi, Applejack. Nice costume….AHHH!” Twilight spotted me. “Blade Star? Is that you?”

“In the flesh,” I replied, mimicking Sombra’s voice. “Didn’t scare you did I?” Spike began to giggle quietly to himself. Twilight simply blushed in embarrassment.

“Cool costumes you guys,” Spike said. “What do you think?” I was tempted to mention something about St George and his encounter with dragons, but since Spike was a youngster, I decided to keep my snarkyness in check. As for AJ though.

“You gonna be somepony’s knight in shining armour then, Spike?” She asked mischievously. “Ah think ah saw her over by the hay rides.” The little drake promptly took off. Twilight was still embroiled in preparations for the arrival of the guest of honour, so we left her and the mayor to it and went looking for everypony else.

Walking over to some of the stalls in the marketplace we quickly spotted my parents. Whilst they were not in costume, they certainly appeared to be having a good time. I just hoped against hope that my dad wouldn’t find the dance contest; he makes Twilight appear talented.

“Hi Mom, hi Dad,” I called. My dad quickly spotted Applejack and myself.

“And who are you supposed to be, Bones?” My father asked. “More to the point what’s the matter with your eyes, you pick up an infection or something?”

“It’s just part of the disguise, Dad. A sign of King Sombra’s dark magic.” My dad thought for a moment.

“You’ve mentioned him before at some point I think,” he replied. Back on Earth, I had, perhaps cruelly, lectured my parents on my understanding of Equestrian history. Naturally, the Crystal Empire came up. Perhaps some of it had actually sunk in.

“Sombra is a Spanish word though isn’t it?” My mother chipped in. “I think it means shadow or something like that.” That I oddly didn’t know; it certainly fitted with Sombra as a character though.

“If you say so, Mom,” I replied. “So what are you two doing out here tonight?”

“Me and your father are keeping an eye on some of the kids for their parents. Somepony has to stay at home to pass out sweets. Plus I heard Granny Smith was a bit under the weather, so I got your father to help. I think we’re both a bit too old for costumes though.” Applejack turned to me.

Blade Star, ah’m just gonna go get us somethin’ to eat, okay?” I nodded and Applejack headed off toward some of the food stands. It was difficult not to stare, just a little.

“Anyway,” My father went on, oblivious to my distraction. “Things are getting busy at the castle too, Christmas isn’t too far away. They’re planning on starting the decorating in a week or so.” He realised I wasn’t paying him much attention. “Are you listening to me, Bones? Or were you looking at the mare in the red dress?” I started, realising I had been caught.

“Sorry, dad what were you…” He cut me off.

“Look again.”

I turned around to find something right in my face. The being proceed to shout ‘boo’ loudly enough to make me jump a foot in the air and land on my flank. I looked up and was confronted with an, unusual costume.

Believe it or not, it was a human, or at least a crude rendition of one. The clothes had clearly been borrowed from my dad but the body itself was definitely home-made. The legs were a load of tin cans stacked on top of each other and stuck together. After that, at waist height, I met a pair of eyes. This was followed by another pair at chest height, which seemed to be in control of the arms and another pair behind a mask at the head.

“Nightmare Night!” chanted the first one.

“What a fright!” said the second.

“Give us something sweet to bite!” finished the last.

“Alright you three, you got me,” I said good naturedly, getting to my hooves. “Now who’s who?” The costume opened so we could all see all three Crusaders. At the bottom, evidently in control of the legs was Apple Bloom. Standing on her shoulders was Sweetie Belle, her forelegs stretched to control the two stick arms. And standing on top of her was Scootaloo who was evidently giving directions.

“Isn’t it great, Blade Star? Your sister and Lyra helped us make it.” The fact that Lyra was responsible for creating a human costume did not surprise me in the least. As for Lizzie, I was surprised she wasn’t hanging out with the Crusaders, or at least with our parents.

“Where is Lizzie anyway?” I asked,

“Oh she’s staying in tonight with Fluttershy,” My mom replied. “You know how nervous she gets on Nightmare Night.” That sounded like Lizzie alright. While we had our share of disagreements, she was a pretty selfless person, a lot like Fluttershy actually, minus the shyness of course.


When Applejack returned with snacks all around our little group went its’ separate ways. My parents and the Crusaders walked, or in the case of the Crusaders, shuffled off to the costume contest. As we ambled about we naturally came across the rest of our friends. While small towns can be annoying for their gossiping, it is nice to know everypony around you and to feel safe enough to leave your kitchen door open at night. Plus, gossiping is only bad if it happens to you, otherwise you learn some really interesting and occasionally dirty secrets.

But I digress.

We spotted Rainbow Dash cruising around the area. Once again she’d ‘borrowed’ a storm cloud and was using it to scare the living daylights out of anypony unfortunate enough to catch her attention. This year, perhaps predictably, she had gone as her favourite adventurer; Daring Do. Two thoughts struck me; since Twilight was A.K Yearling, was Dash copying her and vice versa, and secondly, since Daring was a real and very much alive pony as opposed to a character, did it count as copyright infringement? Maybe those two would get a ‘Cease and Desist’ from Daring’s publishers.

Rarity was able to actually attend this year. The previous year she had taken on so many Nightmare Night orders that, according to Applejack, she had finished on the very night and proceeded to fall asleep in the middle of her shop. This year though, she had paced herself and not taken on as much, allowing her to attend the festivities. Her costume was something along the lines of Frankenstein’s monster, or whatever the pony equivalent was. She’d done an excellent job; it looked as if she really was sewn together.

Then of course, there was Pinkie Pie. Nopony had seen her all night, and she had been secretive about her costume, since she too was entering the contest. Her secrecy was to such an extent, that even Rarity with all her gossip had no clue. I however, was in on her plan and was to be part of her act. The crowd parted and we were able to spot her. She walked towards us calmly; her demeanour was almost serene.

Her outfit was reminiscent of the pre-Hearth’s Warming period or pre-classical era to use the correct terminology, around the time of Starswirl the Bearded. She wore a dirt brown robe with a hood attached that covered most of her face. Wrapped around her neck was a small length of rope, which held the hood properly in place. Finally, protruding from beneath the hood was a noticeable horn. Pinkie was playing Clover the Clever, the exact opposite of my own guise. She was good, whilst I was evil. Preparing for the first part of our little charade, I switched my voice to mimic Sombra.

“I’ve been waiting for, dear Clover. We meet again at last.” Pinkie fixed me with a piercing gaze. “The circle is now complete. When I left you I was but a learner, now I am the master.” Without hesitation, Pinkie replied.

“Only a master of evil, Sombra.” With that, she somehow let off a magic blast. I was able to dodge it easily enough and send back a volley of my own, tinted red for effect. We began to circle each other.

“Your powers are weak, my dear,” I said menacingly. Pinkie continued to stare me down.

“You can’t win, Sombra,” she replied. “If you strike me down, I shall become more powerful than you can possibly imagine.” She let off another shot. By this time, a crowd had predictably gathered around us two duelling warriors of yore.

We continued to exchange volley after volley, neither of us gaining the advantage. I had no clue where Pinkie was gaining her own abilities from. The horn on her head looked to be simply rolled up card coloured pink. She also lacked an aura, the blasts seemed to simply come from the tip of her horn and were light blue/green colour, and caused the air to buzz with each shot.

Twilight evidently was not in the loop though, and looked on with a mixture of fascination and plain outright confusion. Even by Pinkie’s standards this was weird. How was she able to use magic? Our duel paused briefly, Pinkie glanced to Twilight. The look on her face became serene and accepting. It was time for the final act.

The glow around the tip of her horn ceased and I took advantage of her moment of weakness. A blast caught her clean in her chest. But instead of going down as she ought to, though the spell was of course merely a light show, she simply vanished. A puff of smoke and her cloak crumpled to the floor empty.

“No!” Twilight wailed, in perhaps actual fright.

I advanced forward to where the empty cloak lay, prodding it a few times with a hoof to be sure. Then in the manner of villain, I let off an evil laugh that resonated around the square.

What can I say, I’m British; playing the villain comes naturally to me. The only question remaining now was where Pinkie had gotten to.

“Pinkie? Pinkie Pie?!” Twilight began calling out worriedly. “Blade Star, what did you do?” In an attempt to dispel her fears, I switched my voice to my normal accent. Even King Sombra is not scary when his voice is reminiscent of Braeburn.

“Don’t worry, Twilight. It’s just a bit of fun. She’ll turn up in a minute.”

“Did you miss me?” said a voice from behind,

Naturally, I cried out in surprise at Pinkie’s sudden return. The mare, minus her costume of course, had appeared directly behind me and was bouncing with barely contained excitement.

“Wow that was really fun, Blade Star! I didn’t know you were that good. Do you like my costume? Oh, wait, it’s over there.” She giggled and quickly redressed herself. “Oh, oh, I have the perfect Nightmare Night present for you.

Pulling her present from some unknown space, she stuck it on my head. Whatever it was, it fitted over my crown and my horn, completely obscuring my vision.

“Erm, Pinkie darling,” Rarity said cautiously. “Why have you put a sombrero on Blade Star’s head?” My inner brony was by this point rolling around on the floor, laughing hysterically. Without giving Rarity an answer, Pinkie then grabbed me by the foreleg and, to the confusion of all concerned, dragged me halfway across town to the library. Going straight through the front door, she brought me to a halt at the far end of the main room. I pushed the sombrero back.

She’d brought me to a flight of goddamn stairs. My inner brony continued to laugh and roll around on the floor of my mind with abandon. Pinkie of course, simply continued to bound around with excitement.

“Alright Pinkie, alright.” I said, “Now you’ve shown me this, will you answer my and Twilight’s questions?” She nodded. “First of all, where did that magic come from?” Pinkie removed the card covering on her horn to reveal a certain useful tool.

“Time Turner let me borrow his screwdriver. He told me it could do lasers and stuff!” She replied.


Before we could ask any more questions though, we were interrupted. Lighting flashed across the heavens and rolling thunder echoed across the landscape. The sky began to turn black, blotting out the light of the moon as clouds formed all around. I quickly removed my new headwear. We all headed outside. In that sense Pinkie’s little display had been quite useful for getting everypony together.

As we all stood looking up at the sky, a bright flash of light erupted from the centre of the storm and the wind intensified. Out of the eye came a dark chariot, flying at speed. Three guesses who was on board. I turned to my father.

“By the prickling of my thumbs, something wicked this way comes,” I said, smiling.

“Silly, Blade Star,” Pinkie replied. “You don’t have thumbs!”

Author's Note:

Proofread by Sidetrack

I know we'll probably never see Sombra return, but I still think he was a good antagonist. Unlike some villains who came so close to victory then stopped to sing, Sombra never gloated and kept his head in the game throughout. At the very least I can respect him for that. Plus I do think many Bronies underestimate him. Remember, he went toe to toe with two alicorns and only just got beaten, and to be fair, once the Crystal Heart activated, he stood no chance. As an opponent he is just as dangerous as Chrysalis or Tirek.

Three references are in there, some more subtle than others. Join us next time for the concluding chapter of Nightmare Night. Don't forget to like, fave and comment.

Finally, I leave you with this;
















Pinkie's home.

PreviousChapters Next