• Published 10th Dec 2013
  • 19,425 Views, 1,855 Comments

My Family and Other Equestrians - Blade Star



A HiE fic with a twist. Our protagonist is not alone. How does one approach being in Equestria, when their family is along for the ride?

  • ...
97
 1,855
 19,425

PreviousChapters Next
Chapter 68 - The Downs

So after having had our ‘sleep’ the previous night, the two of us woke up bright and early and headed downstairs to breakfast. It was your typical hotel faire really; one of those buffets places. Pretty much everything you could reasonably want for breakfast was on display. I decided to take this opportunity to introduce Applejack to the wonderful meal that we call a Full English Breakfast, albeit the vegetarian version. Even in a dream, my pony half was not willing to ingest bacon, black pudding or sausage. Still, fried eggs, hash browns, beans and toast were decent, and there were some quorn sausages on offer.

After getting this hearty breakfast down our gullets, we left the hotel and caught a cab. My plan was to take a train from London’s Paddington station, which in turn resulted in me spinning a couple of stories about a bear from Darkest Peru, we would eventually end up at Whitchurch. When we got off the train, we’d head east for a few miles back along the railway line and then swing north to head towards the open downland for some sightseeing.

As per my father’s advice, I paid for the hotel, the cab and the train tickets myself, whilst the money was of course just as much a fantasy as everything else, I think Applejack appreciated the gesture. Heading outside, AJ attempted to hail a black cab. After several failed attempts to get their attention, she put a hoof to her mouth and let out the loudest whistle I’ve ever heard. Literally, half the cabbies on the road stuck their head out, needless to say that got us a cab and a bit of a laugh. We spent the trip to Paddington chatting with the cabbie, nine times out of ten London black cab drivers are great people to talk to.

At length, we arrived at the railway station. I’d forgotten just how large the place was, a true testament to British engineering and skill. With a bit of help from some of the staff, we were able to find our train and settle down. One of the many benefits of this dream dating idea was that we had a compartment completely to ourselves for the whole trip, and for the first time in centuries, the British railway network ran on time with no delays.

For the next couple of hours, Applejack and I, now far more wide awake than when we began this journey, happily chatted as the green fields of England rushed by our window. We had to be going at a fair rate of knots by the look of things. The two of us grabbed some coffee from the little drinks trolley that continually made its rounds up and down the train.

“So, what’s this place we’re goin’ again?” Applejack asked as we continued to fly along the main line.

“We’re gettin’ off at a place called Whitchurch, AJ,” I replied. “Ah figured we might try a bit of the countryside for a while. The whole pace is open downland for miles around. We’ll get off there, take a bus a little ways back and then start walking. Trust me; this place has the most amazin’ views for miles around.”

“So how far are we talkin’, Bones?” she asked. My response, were it to a human, would have probably made me look like a slave driver, but as an equine, it was easy to go longer distances before getting tired.

“Well, as the crow flies, should be around seven, maybe eight miles. Don’t worry though, it’s easy goin’ level ground for the most part.” Applejack nodded contently.

“What made ya pick this place anyway? And why all this walkin’?” she continued.

“Ah used to come here all the time with my dad when Ah was a young’un. Just him and me, we’d get a room at one of the taverns ‘round here and then spend the day walkin’ ‘round. And of course,” I paused. “Do you remember that book Ah gave Fluttershy?” Applejack raised an eyebrow at me.

“Ah remember she didn’t take kindly to it. First time Ah think anypony’s broken a door down to return a book.” Yeah, okay, maybe giving Fluttershy ‘Watership Down’ to read wasn’t my best move.

“Well, it was ‘round here that that story was set. We’ll actually pass by a couple of landmarks from the story.”

My route was quite close to a few famous landmarks actually. We’d head to Overton, cross the River Test and the railway line, pass by close to Efrafa then work our way towards Caesar’s Belt and finally work our way onto the down itself.

Anyway, whilst Fluttershy and her rabbit from Tartarus hadn’t really cared for the story that much, Applejack seemed quite interested in it. Having read that story one too many times, as you can probably tell, I knew a fair portion of it off the top of my head. It only occurred to me several hours later that, as this was a dream, I could have simply willed a copy into existence, in Equestrian, and given it to Applejack to read. But hey, you live and learn.

Eventually, we arrived into Overton. It had been quite a nice experience to ride an old BR steam service for once. It was certainly more pleasant than most modern commuter trains I was familiar with. Plus they were such wonderful machines to look at. If only Equestria could adopt their designs rather than those disturbingly pink monstrosities. Well, at least I don’t have to ride them every day like Dad does.

The two of us stepped down onto the platform, with me going first to help Applejack down, that earned me a blush from her and a coy look. We left the railway station at Whitchurch and quickly found our way to the bus stop that would take us to Overton. At length we boarded a small single decker bus and took a short ride back up the way we had come.


Ponyville is a rural settlement. That is an obvious fact. However, the whole area is more open land than you’d expect. In Britain, living rurally means hedgerows and narrow country lanes. And, if I’m honest, it was that which I had been missing. Ponyville is grassland, perhaps a consequence of the dominant species which prefer open country. Eventually, we would reach that kind of country, but for the most part, our journey involved small paths through copses and narrow lanes, as well as a bit of farmland. The downs though, should prove to be a bit of fun, as there are a number of gallops running across them. More than once when I was out there with my dad, we’d had to scramble to get out of the way of oncoming riders, show jumpers for the most part. So, we’d have a nice pleasant walk through the countryside, something AJ would be a little more familiar with, but still something new for her.

Eventually, the small bus we had been taking stopped at Overton, a pretty enough little town. The two of us got off and I began to lead Applejack towards our first stop. I also, just in case we needed it, fashioned a couple water canteens and some chocolate bars to keep us going.

The first part of the journey was arguably the most trying. As we left Overton, we had to not only work our way along concrete roads, but also cross the shallow Test, as well as the railway line. Once we passed those though, things eased up a bit. I did my best to tell AJ about what we would be coming up against, she seemed unfazed.

“Hayseed, Bones! Ah’ve gone through way worse country than this. If Ah can get through the Everfree Forest and deliver pies to those Cajun outposts, then Ah ain’t gonna make a fuss ‘bout a bit of water an’ some rocky roads,” she assured me. And so we began.

We first stuck to the pavement in Overton, passing by quite a few old English cottages along the way. Quite quickly our hooves began to feel a little uncomfortable, hard concrete and tarmac is not exactly a forgiving material. I think the both of us prefer the dirt tracks and grasslands that we are used to. Hay, not even Canterlot has tarmac, the place mainly uses cobblestones on the roads.

Still, the two of us continued, eventually leaving the small town and coming to a T-junction. Following this we eventually began to run alongside the River Test. Under the clear water, you could easily see dozens of small fish darting about, just beneath the surface, occasionally a mouth appeared to catch some unfortunate insect. At length, we came to the bridge over the river. By this point, it was much wider, able to take small craft along, whereas before, you could quite easily hop over it.

Having cleared the Test, we came to an end of the tarmac. Following a familiar route, I led AJ carefully onto an old footpath. We soon found ourselves well away from any road or other indication of civilisation. It was nice to be able to hear nought but the bird song and the buzzing of insects, though the latter did naturally put me on guard.

We steadily weaved our way through the trees, the two of us chatting happily. Before long, I expected to reach the cutting and the railway line. We would have to cross a double track main line as well. Luckily, there was one of those old Victorian pedestrian crossings, with steps either side of the line, and you could see a fair way in either direction too. However, before we even got to the railway line, Applejack hurriedly stopped me.

“Hey, Bones, look there,” she whispered quietly, gesturing to some open ground to our right. Squinting carefully and following AJ’s outstretched hoof I could see something moving amongst the trees.

It was about our size, though obviously a native of Earth. As we looked on it was joined by several companions. They were all a sort of light brown in colour and seemed to be grazing. I had a rough idea of what they were when another, larger specimen joined them. Like the others he was about our size, though noticeably bigger than the rest, and had antlers.

“They’re deer, AJ,” I replied, keeping my voice low. “Let’s try and get ‘round ‘em. Ah don’t want to spook any of the does, and Ah certainly don’t want to tick off that stag.” Keeping low, the two of us steadily moved away from the small herd, which continued to peacefully graze, either unaware or not concerned by our presence. It was nice not to have wildlife immediately flee at the first sign of you.

Having left the deer to themselves, we continued along the trail, until eventually the path seemed to drop away altogether. This was the cutting that bordered the railway line. A few miles further up, it was on a rise, but here, the line was nestled away. Whilst it was routine enough to cross a line at a crossing point like this, it could still be dicey. After all, it was not too far up the line that Captain Charlock and his entire patrol were killed in action during a pursuit against escaping prisoners. So, for the sake of safety, I made it so that there were no trains on the line for the moment. With that done, I turned back to my marefriend.

“Alright, ‘Jack. The line oughta be clear now. Just follow me down these steps, cross the line and head up the ones on the other side, okay?” Applejack nodded. “And watch your step too; these stairs ain’t built for ponies.” And so, the two of us began to work our way down, side by side. Of course, it wasn’t easy; the steps were designed for bipeds after all. Just before we reached halfway, AJ lost her footing.

Her rear hooves missed the step and she quickly overbalanced, shrieking in surprise. The stone stairs were pretty damn solid and the bottom was the ballast and the railway line. Luckily though, having a unicorn with her, I was able to hold her steady in my magic, and perhaps be a little bit of a gentlecolt. Releasing her from my magic I held her steady for a moment with my hooves.

“Ya okay there, AJ?” I asked, a little worried.

“Fine, fine; just slipped a bit. Thanks, Bones,” she replied, trying to brush it off. However, we were both standing still, with her in my forelegs, which I guess is the equivalent of arms. So, we did have a little awkward, romantic moment.

Anyway, we made it down to the bottom and crossed the line without further incident. And after climbing up the stairs on the other side, which we both took greater care on, we found ourselves back in the woodland.

The path here was pretty much the same as it had been the other side of the railway line. Here and there tree roots littered the ground and the track was small and winding. At length though, this path steadily grew wider and the trees began to part, giving way to open fields. The whole area was farmland for the most part, criss crossed by a number of bridleways that were much easier to walk on. But before that, there was the matter of Efrafa.


Now, I will admit, that on more than one occasion when young Apple Bloom was acting up, I employed the old spectre of the General to keep her in line. I’d also told her a few stories of El-ahrairah. And on occasion, I had taught a few ponies, Big Mac included how to play Bob-stones. Other than that though, I had not mentioned much about this part of the world, though it definitely fascinated me and was one of my keenest interests, right up there with MLP. Whilst I had an interest, I expected Applejack to just enjoy the scenery though. The place was beautiful in the sunshine like this and it would only become more spectacular.

At length, the two of us settled by what was the site of the Crixa to rest up a little. The walk was not tiring by any means, but it was still nice to rest up every now and again. Applejack asked me a little about the story of Watership Down, and consequently that of Efrafa, which in turn lead to me running my mouth a bit, a habit I really must work on. Anyway, I told her a bit about the story and where we were. Luckily though, I was cut off by the startled cry of a pheasant.

The two of us looked up in surprise, pheasants are notoriously loud birds. It landed not too far from us, having pretty much fallen from the sky (pheasants are not particularly talented flyers). Nevertheless, it was a pretty creature and it stopped for a few moments to stare at the two of us, before it dashed off into the undergrowth.

Having each had a quick bite to eat and a drink, the two of us set off again, still contentedly chatting as we made our way further north towards the downs. This was really what I wanted, to just be able to chat with Applejack and have some fun. The two of us were both enjoying ourselves and I didn’t have to put up with any ‘advice’ from various parties. Yes we were closer than friends, but I didn’t feel like I was being pressured to do anything. As I’ve said before countless times, neither of us is overly romantic, though of course, I shan’t deny that we both love each other. This was just a fun day out. And I think that is what we both really needed.

After another hour or so of going at a fairly steady pace, though faster than most humans at walking pace, we were able to see Caesar’s Belt; a long straight line of trees that followed an old track. This was something of a helpful landmark, as it was pretty much halfway between the down and Efrafa. It also traditionally marked the limit of most Wide Patrols.

As the two of us continued to work our way along, my thoughts turned to the concept of patrolling. It was not something the Royal Guard practiced. They were a defensive force set to guard the princesses, not a reconnaissance team. On the other hand, their occasional failings and limitations have often come from lack of experience. Even with veterans of the Incursion teaching the new recruits they are still quite green compared to any human fighting force, never mind the fact that often the threats they face are not conventional.

I remembered that Captain Campion, one of the more respectable Owsla officers and a veteran of the Battle of Nutley Copse, commented that Wide Patrols made clever trackers, swift runners and fierce fighters. Well, that was what Equestria needed wasn’t it? Perhaps when the two of us woke up I could write to Strong Shield and suggest the idea to him.


After passing the line of trees that was Caesar’s Belt, we started to come onto the down itself. Whilst the far end of the down was quite a steep drop, at this end, you didn’t really notice much, apart from the steadily opening skyline. Aside from a small copse like collection of trees around a large beech tree, the entire down was open and clear. You would easily know if anything was coming your way long before they got close.

Of course, this version of the downs was slightly modified to reverse the march of time. In reality, the last time I had visited, the beech had been largely destroyed by severe storms and large sections were fenced off as private land. Here on the other hand though, the whole place was still open. And it was an amazing sight to behold.

As the two of came to the edge of the down, Applejack audibly gasped in surprise. From our position, you could see for miles the relative plateau below us, including farms, houses roads, even a large electricity pylon chain.

Having reached our destination, the two of us settled down to watch the sunset; it had been steadily getting further into the evening ever since we passed the belt.

“It sure is beautiful up here, Bones,” Applejack said at length as we relaxed on the soft grass in the shadow of the beech tree.

“It kinda reminds me of that spot back home on the farm. Ya know, that little clearing by the lake?” AJ nodded her head.

“As Ah recall, weren’t that where ya first admitted ya liked me?” she prodded, lidding her eyes.

“C’mon, Ah did have the Princess of Love herself tellin’ me it was so, ‘Jack. No way was Ah gonna argue with that.” Applejack scooted over, closer to me, leaning into me a little.

“Ah’ve really enjoyed all this ya know,” she said quietly as she pressed her head against my side. “But there’s one thing Ah’d like to do before we go.” I looked over to her.

“Oh? What’s that then?” I enquired. Instead of responding, Applejack gestured over to the well maintained, fenced off gallops that ran the length of the down, and were used for training show jumpers. I quickly realised what she was getting at; she wanted to go for a run.

“Really?” I asked. “Ya know Ah can’t keep up with ya like RD, right?” Applejack grinned.

“Oh don’t worry ‘bout that, Bones. Ah’ll slow down so ya can catch up,” she shamelessly stuck her tongue out at me. The two of us got up as one.

“Ah hate to take money from a lady, miss,” I countered. And with that, the two of us set off at a gallop onto the trimmed green grass.

The two of us tore round the gallops as fast we could muster; I began to touch speeds I hadn’t gone at since the Running of the Leaves last autumn. Naturally, AJ was just a tiny bit faster than me, but not by much. I may be a lot fitter than I was as a human, but that doesn’t mean jack to an earth pony. We ran all the way from where we had been resting all the way along the down to the main road at the other end, all the way egging each other on. Eventually though, we both made it back to the beech tree where we had started, and lay down, fully out of breath.

“Okay,” I said, my sides still heaving from the run. “Ah admit it, y’all are faster than Ah am.” Equally winded, but also smug by her victory, Applejack settled herself down beside me.

“Eeyup, and don’t ya forget it,” she said jokingly, batting my head with a hoof. This in turn led me to retaliating and a sort of play fight happened, with the two of us rolling around on the soft grass. Of course it didn’t last, we were still both exhausted from galloping, but it did end with the two of us kissing. And that is all you shall ever know of it.

With that, the world around us began to fade and we found ourselves in a void. Just as steadily Applejack began to vanish into the gloom as well, presumably a sign of Luna severing our shared dream. And with that, I awoke to find myself back on Sweet Apple Acres. Back home.

Author's Note:

Proofread by Sidetrack.

I've also taken another swing at those first five chapters. I've tried to improve Blade Star's early personality and make him more relatable. Go and take a look if you want.

PreviousChapters Next