• Published 16th Nov 2013
  • 6,165 Views, 73 Comments

Spike's Pony Chronicles - Golden Age



Is becoming a pony all Spike the dragon really wanted? He and Sweetie Belle sure think so and want it more than anything.

  • ...
22
 73
 6,165

Chapter 5: To Golden Oaks Library!

It was around sunset by the time Spike the pony arrived at the lake to attempt surfing. However catching a wave seemed to prove rather difficult, as the lake was calm as ice. Apple Bloom, Scootaloo, and Spike were waiting on the shore for Sweetie Belle to come and join them. Spike knew that this would be his first night as well as his last night as a pony, but he refused to bring that up so that the crusaders' spirits would remain high. Most of all, he did not want to disappoint his love, Sweetie Belle. That would be too big of a burden for her to handle.

"Um, ah don't know much 'bout surfin', but I'm pretty sure there's supposed to be waves involved.", Apple Bloom brought up.

"(Sigh), I knew that using the lake was a bad idea. It would take us days to get to any oceans to try surfing, though!", said Scootaloo.

"Well, that can't stop us! I'm sure if, like, somepony else threw a really big rock into the center of the lake, then there would be waves!", spoke Spike.

"How about Rainbow Dash?!?!", excitingly said the pegasus.

"But we're already here, an' it'll be dark out by the time we get Rainbow over here, anyhow!", said Apple Bloom.

"Well, I mean, who needs waves?", Spike asked as he picked up two large sticks off of the forest ground. "We can try to get paddle boarding cutie marks instead!" The two fillies' ears perked up as their smiles grew. "Well, I don't actually have a board with me, I was kinda hoping you girls would share yours."

"Well, I don't know. It turned out that I don't have any surfboards, but I brought this snowboard!", said Scootaloo.

"An' ah brought Granny Smith's ironing board!", added Apple Bloom. Spike stared blankly at the two fillies.

"Hate to break it to ya, but I don't really think those were gonna work for surfing.", said the colt.

"We know.", the fillies sadly replied in unison. Hearing the sound of bushes shaking behind them, the three young ponies turned around in curiosity. Out of the bushes came Sweetie Belle. Though she looked a little shaken up from what Twilight Sparkle requested her to do, her friends gave the filly a warm welcome.

"There you are, Sweets!", said Scootaloo.

"Hey, Sweetie Belle!", welcomed Apple Bloom.

"Sweetie!", Spike warmly said as he ran up to his crush and wrapped his forehooves around her. However, the colt could not hide how nervous he was about having to inform Sweetie about what Twilight wanted. Sweetie was equally afraid as she hugged her coltfriend back.

"Hey Spike.", she said in a less enthusiastic tone than usual. Spike shrugged off Sweetie's different tone as the number one thing on his mind was how to break it to her that he would be a dragon by tomorrow. Sweetie, on the other hoof, was afraid to explain to Spike that he had to return to being a dragon. Both unaware of what they were hiding from each other, they separated themselves out of their hug and turned towards their fellow club members. The other two noticed the pair's awkwardness with themselves, but decided it to be better to not mention it.

"Soooo, since there aren't any waves here, we decided to paddle board instead of surf. How's that, Sweets? Don't worry this time, I checked, this is actually legal!", Scootaloo said to her unicorn friend.

"Oh, I guess it's fine. Heh, I've, um, never surfed, anyways.", Sweetie responded.

"Me neither.", added Spike. "Paddle boarding doesn't sound that hard to get a hang of."

"Well what are y'all waitin' for? The sky's not gettin' any brighter! Let's get us some cutie marks!", exclaimed Apple Bloom.

At that moment, Spike believed he had finally worked up the courage to break to the crusaders his issue. "Yeah, about that." However once the other fillies curiously glanced at him, all the courage he seemed to have have gotten just melted away. "Um, okay Apple Bloom. Let's hop to it!"

"We only have two boards, so we'll fit two ponies per board! You two lovebirds can use Apple Bloom's whatever board, I'll use my snowboard with A.B.!", Scootaloo purposed. The couple simply nodded in response. Once the necessary amount of sticks to be used for makeshift oars was gathered, Spike and Sweetie Belle sat atop their board and faced each other. The two stuck their oars out and simultaneously began to stroke towards the center of the glistening lake. By the time the two were about 25 feet into the lake, Scootaloo and Apple Bloom were still at the shallow shore constantly capsizing. They found their snowboard to not be the most stable mode of water transport, and none of their efforts to stay on top were working out. Their attempts all resulted in the fillies comically falling into the water. It did not look like they were going to get a paddle boarding cutie mark anytime soon. Meanwhile, Spike and Sweetie Belle were having an awfully silent voyage. They could not stand the thought of telling each other what was on their minds, so they had small-talk instead. There was undeniable worry and sadness in their voices.

"So, Spike, um, why'd you leave your Hoofwaiian shirt and stuff on the shore?"

"Oh, um, it wasn't comfortable, I guess."

"Ah, I see."

"(Sigh), yeah. Well, heh, looks like Scoots and A.B. could use some help."

"Heh, oh yeah, those two. We're, um, pretty good at this, I guess."

"Yeah, uh, you could put it that way."

They had finally reached the center of the lake. The sky above them had turned into a magical late sunset with orange and purple painted all over the clouds. The couple was on their own, now. They knew that they had to break their problems to each other, and this seemed to be the right moment to do so.

"Spike."

"Sweetie Belle."

The two stared at the pony sitting across them on the board with remorse and sorrow filling their emotions.

"We have to break up for good.", they said at the same time. Their eyes widened. They expected that to come out of their own mouths only, not both of theirs'.

"W-what's your reason?", nervously asked Sweetie Belle. She did not hesitate to stop tears from starting up.

"(Sigh), Twilight's turning me back into a dragon when I get back home.", sadly said Spike. "Your reason?"

"B-because of Twilight. I s-stopped at your library on my way here, but, but Twilight told me to make you want to, to be a d-dragon again!" Spike growled at this in response.

"Darn it, Twilight!", he said as he punched the water with his forehoof. "Why, just why? What could possibly be her reason as to why she insists that I stay a dragon? She's been so strict about it recently! She even said she was my (sniff) owner! Like, like I'm her slave, of something! Do you even know how much that hurt me? She's raised me like a sibling ever since I hatched, what would make her think all of a sudden that I'm just an object and she owns me?!?! Why would she want me to stay a dragon?"

Sweetie Belle heard this and spoke up. "Spike, that's exactly why T-Twilight wants you to stay as a dragon."

"Why?"

"Because, I mean, you said that she's raised you like a sibling ever since you hatched. She kind of had an emotional breakdown when I stopped by the library earlier. She said that you've been a dragon for as long as she's known you. Her dragon. You were one of her only friends from when she lived back in Canterlot, and you stuck by her side when she first moved here. You've played a part in all her fondest memories. Having you in her life changed her for good. You were the little dragon that stuck by her through all those good, hard, bad, and wonderful times. But you're not that dragon that played a big part in her life anymore, in her eyes at least. You're a pony. I don't think Twilight was ready for that kind of big change. All of those memories with the dragon she knows and loves will never be the same anymore for her. Yeah, your change into a pony was wonderful for me, but not as much for your lifelong sister. I love you, Spike, and I know that only changing you back into a dragon will not completely make Twilight happy. If she sees why exactly you're so happy as a pony, then she might have a change of heart. Just saying!"

Sweetie Belle's soft words really spoke to Spike, planting a blank stare onto his face.

"Wow.", he sorrowfully said. "I guess I never really thought of it that way. Gosh, Twilight's always been there for me. I've always been that dragon she can turn to. But, but, I'm still just the exact same Spike as before! Well, this time around with hooves and a muzzle and stuff, but it's the personality that counts! It's only a simple change of appearance! Sweetie, you said that if she sees why I'm happy as a colt, there would be a chance that she would have a change of heart?"

"Yeah. But you know Twilight Sparkle better than I ever have, so I'm not really sure if she will hav-" Sweetie stopped speaking as Spike, now with a confident smiling face, put his hoof on her shoulder.

"We can always hope.", he said. Sweetie Belle replied to Spike's sentence with a bittersweet smile with joyful tears in her eyes. "Now c'mon! We have a relationship to save! Stroke, stroke, stroke…", Spike exclaimed as the two started to propel their board to shore. Once on land, they hopped off. "Laaaand ho! To Golden Oaks Library!", Spike yelled out. The two other fillies popped their heads out of the water, halting their struggle to get onto their snowboard.

"Why are you guys leaving?", Scootaloo asked.

"Get a cutie mark?", asked Apple Bloom.

"Nope girls Spike and I are hurrying to the library to tell Twilight that we love each other and convince her that Spike can stay a pony and so that we can clarify some things with her and so that there's no end to the love between us as we know it is that okay? Bye then!", Sweetie blurted out as the couple ran beyond the bushes towards town. The two fillies in the water confusingly stared at the other ponies until Apple Bloom playfully splashed Scootaloo and the two ensued in a splash-war instead of trying to paddle board.

~

"Owner?!?! Twilight Sparkle, how could you say such a cruel thing to Spikey Wikey?", Rarity exclaimed to the alicorn princess. She was sitting in the library trying to comfort Twilight, who was still in guilt for what she did to Spike.

"Oh, Rarity, what have I done? Spike will never see why I want him to be a dragon. You see, your sister stopped by to see if Spike had left yet, and so I told her to talk some sense into Spike. Oh, he probably hates her now!"

"In the name of sapphires, now you're having my little sister do your dirty work? Having Spike be mad at her, too, for no absolute reason?"

"I didn't want to get her involved! It's just that it didn't feel right for me to be the only one who felt that way about Spike's change. Oh no, Sweetie Belle probably told Spike that I had sent her! He's going to have a fit with me!"

"Tsk tsk tsk, you're just digging yourself deeper and deeper into Spike's hatred for you, darling."

"Well, it's too late to do anything else now! I'm making him a dragon whether he likes it or-" Twilight angrily started until the front door of the library opened up. The two mares turned to see who was there.

"Sweetie Belle? What are you doing here, darling?", asked Rarity.

"Spike? You actually returned?", asked Twilight.

"So that's what Spike looks like as a pony? Wow, how adorable! I bet I could hook him up with some of my extravagant colt outfits!", said Rarity.

"Oh, I sure did return, Twilight!", Spike confidently said.

"And you're not turning anypony into a dragon!", Sweetie continued, leaving the two mares shocked.

"And why in the world would you want Spike to stay as a pony so much?", asked Rarity. The couple turned to each other, and Spike nodded.

"Because I love him!", she exclaimed.

"And I love her!", Spike also asserted. Twilight and Rarity's jaws darted towards the ground as their eyes widened.

"Let me get this straight, you two love each other?", asked Twilight.

"Yep! Spike is my special some-pony!", Sweetie said as she wrapped her forehooves around Spike's pony neck. Though Twilight was still in a state of shock, Rarity squealed and started to lightly tap her hooves on the library floor.

"I knew it I knew to I knew it I knew!", she proclaimed. "Sweetie Belle, my one-and-only little sister has found a colt! She has a special some-pony! I, oh Celestia, I don't believe this! I need to catch my breath!", she excitingly said as she levitated a couch in her path with her magic to fall on dramatically. "Just like her sister.", she said. Her head then darted up. "Wait a minute, her special some-pony is, (gulp), Spike! Spikey Wikey, I'm so happy that you've finally found somepony, and lemme tell you, you sure wound up with a good one!", Rarity winked to the colt. Though Spike was still a tad angry with her for her refusal, he couldn't help but chuckle at what she had said about Sweetie Belle.

"Why, thanks Rarity! Oh, and thanks for returning the Ferrony I rented for the picnic!", he said. Twilight perked up once she heard clarity from Spike that Rarity's story from Suagrcube Corner was true.

"I'm so sorry I doubted you about the picnic, Rarity.", she said.

"It's all fine, darling! I'm still finding it hard to grasp that Sweetie Belle has fallen in love with Sp- wait a minute, Sweetie Belle, what have I told you about dragons?", Rarity asked her sister.

"Relax, sis! He's a pony now! It's fine.", Sweetie said.

"Everypony, hold on for a second!", Twilight yelled out. She then turned to the colt and started to speak softly. "Spike, is Sweetie Belle why you were so happy to be a pony?"

"Yes, Twilight, she's exactly why I want to stay a pony!", he replied.

"Is she also why you've been acting so, well, odd lately?"

"Yeah, we've been through a lot these last couple of days. We even nearly broke up twice."

"I knew it!", Rarity squealed.

"So, Twilight, I wanted to ask you if we could sort things out so I could stay as a pony an-"

"Oh, no you don't! I have the potion to make you a dragon again right here!", Twilight said as she levitated a bowl full of a mysterious liquid up.

"Twilight, waaaaaiit!", he yelled out. Twilight stopped levitating the bowl. Sweetie Belle and Rarity looked up.

"What, Spike? I said that this is your last night as a pony an-"

"I know why you want me to return to begin a dragon so badly!"

Twilight became surprised at this. "Oh? And why would that be?"

"Because I've been the little dragon that you've raised since my hatching and you want me to stay that way! I hold too many of your memories as a dragon. You've known me you're whole life as a dragon, and I can accept that kind of feeling you're going through! I'd be lying if I said I wouldn't be really uncomfortable if something so close to me just, you know, changed. But change is nature, Twilight, and sometimes it's for the good of things." At this point, Twilight started to take what Spike was saying to heart, and she set the bowl down on a table. "Besides, I'm still the same Spike that you've raised and known for your whole life! Though different looking out here, I'm still the same Spike right in here!", Spike said as he pointed towards his heart. "What difference does it make, Twily?"

"Oh, Spike, I, I just don't know w-what got into me! You're right! (Sigh) Change is nature. I guess I just let my memories get the best of me. Wait, no, my love for you got the best of me!", the princess said as she hugged the pony. Spike's anger towards Twilight faded as he returned the hug. "I am so, so sorry about everything, little brother.", she said with apologetic tears in her eyes. "Can you ever forgive me?" She looked down at the colt and saw that he had glad tears in his own eyes.

"Yes I can, big sister!", he said. Twilight looked towards the two unicorns who were both smiling at the sight.

"If you really want to, you can stay as a pony. You'll always be a baby dragon in my heart.", she happily said. Spike and Sweetie Belle's heads both perked up and their smiles expanded.

"You mean it?", excitingly asked Spike.

"Of course I mean it, silly! I don't really think Sweetie Belle would like to fall in love with a dragon.", she replied. This caused the two young ponies in the room to run towards their crush and wrap their forehooves around each other in pure happiness. Their eyes watered with tears of joy as they each excitingly said things to each other.

"I don't believe it, it worked! You can stay as a pony! I love you I love you I love you!", Sweetie happily blurted out.

"I'm the happiest colt in Equestria! I love you soooo much, Sweetie!", Spike said. All of a sudden, a sly grin came across his face as he turned to Twilight. "I only ask one little thing."

"What is it, Spike?", she asked.

"Can you make me a pegasus?!?! Please?"

Twilight chuckled at this. "Alright, Spike, I'll get started on that potion!"

Spike gave Twilight another hug and then turned towards his crush. "C'mon, Sweetie, we've got paddle boarding to get to! Thank you so much, Twilight!", he said as the two turned and ran out the door.

"You're welcome!", Twilight said to her metaphorical brother. Rarity, too, was having tears form in her eyes. She has never been so proud of her sister in her entire life.

"Sweetie Belle truly is rapidly growing up before my eyes.", she proudly said to Twilight. "You made the right choice, Twilight. Change is nature, and I am proud of you."

"I know I did, Rarity. And I think that now I'm happier with Spike as a pony instead of a dragon! As long as he's finally happy, I'm happy."

Twilight wasn't the only one relieved. Spike and Sweetie Belle were engulfed in relief. They now knew for sure that all of their deepest problems have finally been solved. Spike was no longer the beast he once thought himself to be, and he knew he would never have to face that life ever again. He now knew that he could be a pony, and soon enough a pony that could fly! That, of course, was not the main purpose for his relief. All of his issues with Twilight have been resolved. Twilight finally understood what Spike was going through, and Spike finally understood what Twilight was going through. They finally comprehended each other's odd behaviors, and now accepted them and everything turned out fine for the two. But that, as well, was not Spike's main reason for his joy. He could at last be in love with Sweetie Belle. No more worry or depression, just mutual affections from the filly of his dreams. Sweetie Belle herself was just as happy, if not even happier. The colt of her wildest dreams could finally show his love for her. She could show her love for him as well. No more problems in their way, just their love. They were on top of the world. Running to the lake, they paused on a bridge that went over a stream to catch their happy breaths.

"This is the greatest day in my entire life!", Sweetie Belle gladly yelled.

"Well the night's still young! Let's make it even better!", said Spike. They held their forehooves, turned towards each other, and kissed on the lips. Here's to hoping they'll have many more days like this. Spike loved her. Sweetie Belle loved him. They had each other, and that's all that mattered.

Author's Note:

The final chapter of SPC has arrived! I'm glad that my first MLP story turned out better than I had thought. Thank you all for the praise, constructive criticism, favorites, and all of that good stuff. I recommend readers who disliked the tale because of the brief format errors in the first chapter to gives the story a second chance. Take care, everypony.

Comments ( 22 )

Best story I've ever read in my life I hope to see a sequel in the future

I'm so glad Spike got to remain a pony! I really hope to see you write more like this, maybe a sequel?

You entertained me fine sir. I will continue on to read your future stories and so. I tip my furry hat to you, have a good day.

One of the cutest SpikeBelle Fics I've read to date! I like how everypony was happy at the end. Plus it had my favorite Ship in it!

10 out of 10 for romance
10 out of 10 for slice of life
8 out of 10 for grammar
9 out of 10 for overall story
A like and a fave! Awesome job!

I Love The Ending. This is an overall good story. Looking forward to the next story.

This is now my favorite story.

I just love Spike :heart: Belle

3621291 that sure would be one hay of a plot twist :rainbowlaugh: I can't see "Sweetie Belle's Dragon Chronicles" becoming a reality

Comment posted by Solar Pony deleted Sep 4th, 2016

One of and if not, the BEST STORY I HAVE EVER READ!! :heart::fluttercry: You have to make a Part 2 !!! :pinkiecrazy::flutterrage:

This is great I can't wait until the next chapter

Oh no you don't Golden Age. Your not going to end this story so easily because I think there should be more to this story.

I'm not going to cry :fluttercry: so beautiful.

Amazing story loved it:rainbowwild::rainbowwild::rainbowwild::rainbowwild::pinkiesad2::pinkiesad2::pinkiesad2:

Bravo! :flutterrage:.....:pinkiehappy: Such a cute story:fluttercry: A Sequel would be interesting, but I'd prolly be satisfied with just this story, if you didn't want to write another one, cuz it was. sO. AWESOME:rainbowkiss:

3784751 Thanks! I'm no writing expert, but I'm pretty sure that a spelling error in the first word is a major turnoff. :twilightblush:

Let me start of by saying I read a lot. From published books to my friends unfinished chapter drafts.Of all the things I have read during my two decades on this planet, or my twenty laps around the sun, only about two of every ten stories I read have gotten me to read the lines of dialogue out loud. I had quite a bit of fun when Spike realized he'd lost his fingers.

Jolly good show.

Trying.. to...not...shed..tears! Failing...horribly..at...IT!!! BUWHAAAAAA!!!:fluttercry:
AUGH! MY FEELS!
loved the story very little grammar and spelling errors, besides that everything was well done
on my prize scale you get my toughest tank: a king tiger
fc09.deviantart.net/fs22/f/2008/017/9/f/King_Tiger___Jealous__much__by_Patr1ck_C.jpg
and a Chocolate Chip Cookie Supreme!
asset-a.soup.io/asset/2621/1183_a9c5.jpeg
is there a possible sequel coming soon? please?:fluttercry:

this story was amazing i'm following you:twilightsmile::rainbowkiss::pinkiesmile:

i love this story. hope you write a squel some day:moustache::twilightsmile:

Finally. It’s real hard to find spike as pony and KEEP being a pony at the end instead of turning back into a dragon. I’m finally happy now.:twilightsmile:

Will there be a sequel to this? Please make a sequel for this.

Login or register to comment