• Published 16th Nov 2013
  • 6,165 Views, 73 Comments

Spike's Pony Chronicles - Golden Age



Is becoming a pony all Spike the dragon really wanted? He and Sweetie Belle sure think so and want it more than anything.

  • ...
22
 73
 6,165

Chapter 2: The First Get-Together

The next morning, a purple alicorn named Twilight Sparkle drowsily entered her Ponyville library. She sat down at the front door with her bags and took a deep breath.

"Wow, what a long and busy trip! It's always great to be back in good old Ponyville."

Walking upstairs, she could see that her dragon, Spike, was fast asleep.

"Spike sure looks like he had a good night's sleep! It'll be better if I don't wake him. Now, time to study the spells of Princess Celestia's new book that she gave me an-"

"Welcome back, Twilight!!!!", a pink pony said as she hopped inside. She was followed by four other ponies. Twilight immediately recognized them as her five best friends.

"Girls, wow, how are all of you?"

"Doin' great, Twili! Sure wasn't the same 'round here without ya!", Applejack said.

"I'm sure your stay there was awesome, especially now that you're a princess and can boss everypony around!", Rainbow Dash added.

"How was your stay in Canterlot, Twilight? You seem tired.", Fluttershy quietly said.

"Well, duhhh, Fluttershy! She's not a small-town librarian anymore, she's royalty! Twilight's such an underdog! She started waaaay back in the start of the starts at the way bottom, but now she's at the top of all of the wild land of Equestria!", Pinkie Pie said jumping around moving in accordance to everything she was saying.

"I had a very busy stay there and had absolutely no time for relaxation.", Twilight answered.

"So, basically a business trip?", Rainbow Dash said as her smile disappeared.

"Yes it was.", said the alicorn.

"Bor-ing.", said a bored Rainbow Dash.

"What did you ever do to take up all that time?", asked Fluttershy.

"Did Princess Celestia teach ya all the cranks and nobs of bein' a princess?", asked Applejack.

"Exactly. It's no walk through the park.", Twilight replied.

"It's a FLY through the park, because of your wings!", said Pinkie Pie. "Oh oh oh, ahem, dearest Princess Twilight Sparkle, yer majesty, yer honor, yer, um psssst, Rarity? What's another fancy synonym for a princess?"

"Oh, let's see here, how about 'royal'?"

"Yer royal," Pinkie Pie said as she knelt down to Twilight, "will you join me and your fellow subjects and peasants in a trip to the corner of sugarcubes for cups of frozen shaken milk juice?"

"What are you talking about?", asked Rainbow Dash.

"I figured that now that Twilight's a fancy princess, we should talk like fancy fancies around her to raise ourselves to her level so she won't feel left out! Or she could talk like a dumb pony with no intentions of being royal to lower herself to our peasant level!"

Twilight smiled and chuckled. "Pinkie, you don't need to talk like that around me! I'm still the same Twilight Sparkle that you know and love. One stay in Canterlot as a princess isn't going to change my entire personality! Besides, you girls are anything but peasants!"

"Well, phew! Dealing with royalty has never been one of my strong suits anyhow! Okay, so is everypony ready to go?, Pinkie Pie excitingly asked.

"Well I, for one, am starved! Let's blow this joint!", said Rainbow Dash.

"Well said, Dash!", said Applejack.

Rarity looked around the library in search of Spike. "Umm, say, Twilight? Would Spike happen to be home today?"

"Oh, he's up in the bedroom fast asleep! It looked like he must've had a busy night, so I wouldn't disturb him."

"Alright," Rarity sighed, "well I suppose we can go now."

"Onward! Sugarcube Corner awaits our arrival!", Pinkie Pie said as they left the library. The slamming of the door woke Spike up.

"Huh, wha? Twilight? Are that yous?", Spike said half asleep. He then accidentally rolled out of his bed and was fully awake. "Woah there, good morning? Twilight? Humph. Wait a minute, does this mean Twilight's still in Canterlot and I still have another free day ahead of me? Hmm, well I sure know what that means!"

Spike looked out a window he had next to his little bed and was able to see the roof of Carousel Boutique.

"Sweetie Belle! Looks like it's date time for Spikey Wikey!", said Spike as he ran off towards the stairs to make a quick breakfast. On his way to the stairs he passed a mirror, stopped, and went back to the mirror to look at the dragon reflected onto it. Spike quickly darted his head left and then right in search of anypony else, confirmed he was alone, and then flexed his arms in front of the mirror. His confidence was boosted. "Oh, lookin' good, Spike!", he jokingly said with a rough voice. After that, he ran downstairs and looked around for food. Desperate for breakfast, he took a box of cereal and put his dragon tongue in it. The tongue gathered all the flakes and pulled them all into his mouth at once, satisfying the dragon. He burped louder than Rarity's usual screams of distress. However, the dragon then shook his head rapidly. "What am I doing to myself? I'm gonna see, well try to see, Sweetie Belle today and I'm preparing like this? After helping Rari-err, I mean, she-who-shall-not-be-ever-spoken-of-in-this-household-or-all-of-Equestira-for-that-matter so many times at her boutique, I should know how to elegantly prepare myself like a fancy elite! Sorry, Spike, but breakfast time is over!", he said to himself. He ran upstairs to prepare. After admiring himself in the mirror again, he started to ready himself for seeing his special-some-pony.

~

At Sugarcube Corner, Twilight and her friends were sitting at a table together. Twilight was answering all their questions about her stay and just about the royal life in general.

"Woah woah woah, hold the show, the Wonderbolts performed? That's what I'm talking about!", said Rainbow Dash.

"Oh, and I'm sure that you were glad to see your brother and Cadence again.", quietly added Fluttershy.

"Now how come I ain't never heard of the princess' apple orchard? That must make the acres back home look like a crumb!", Applejack excitingly said.

"Oh oh oh did you see Hoity Toity? And Photo Finish? And Hayseed Turnip Truck cleaning windows?" Pinkie Pie asked. She laughed while Rarity looked at her with disgust of what she had asked.

"I DID see Hayseed! Oh boy, he told me personally to tell you, Rarity, that he misses you with all his 'darn tooting' heart!", Twilight said as she saw Rarity was not one bit amused. She quickly tried to change the subject to make her friend feel better. "Oh yeah, I did see Hoity Toity and get this; he was wearing a stallion version of the outfit you made for Pinkie Pie, Rarity! The one with the candy! He said it was 'too wondrous for it to be exclusive for mares!'" The other ponies started to laugh. Twilight could still tell that Rarity was not amused. "Okay, Rarity, what's the matter? Normally when I come back from even a second-long Canterlot trip, you ask me more questions than a schoolbook! You haven't asked me one for this trip!"

"Oh, really? Oh, um, then, so sorry, didn't even notice! Um, was the comfort of the bed to your appeal?", nervously asked Rarity.

"Something's gotten into this unicorn's head! Snap out of it, Rare!", said Rainbow Dash rolling her eyes.

"Feel free to tell us anythin' you wanna!", Applejack said welcomely.

"You can tell us ANYTHING! We're your friends! Or at least I hope so.", Pinkie Pie said with a smile disappearing.

"What's been bugging you? Any of you girls know of something that happened while I was gone?", asked Twilight. They all shook their heads in disagreement.

"Well, to be honest with you, Twilight, something has gone terribly wrong! You see, it had to so with Spike.", said Rarity. Twilight's worried look changed to a frustrated look.

"Note to self, Twi," the alicorn said aloud, "NEVER leave Spike home alone AGAIN. I knew he'd try to do something to get you, Rarity. What happened?"

Rarity told them everything that happened the previous night.

"And then he ran off into the forest after giving me a dirty look. I'm more than pleased to hear that he's safe in his bed. Seeing how upset he was after my rejection, you'd think he'd take his own life!" Rarity felt depressed after telling the story. It made the other five ponies sad too, even driving Fluttershy and Twilight to subtle tears. "So, in case you come across a morose baby dragon when you arrive back at home, just know that I was the cause of his anguish. I was completely responsible for crushing his heart and hopes. I would not be surprised if he didn't want to lay his eyes on me ever again!"

"I'm so sorry to hear that, Rarity. It did have to eventually be down though, so at least that's off your chest.", Fluttershy softly said.

"I'm with Flutters on that one! Look at the bright side! You won't have to deal with his fanboy antics anymore!", said Rainbow Dash.

"But then Sweetie Belle would have to do her chores! Oh, wait a minute, Dash said to look at the bright side!", said Pinkie Pie, "At least Spike with try to find another pony to fall in love with and do all her chores for whoever she'll be!"

"Ya got nothing to worry about, sugar cube! As long as Twilight has a keen eye on Spike, he'll be fine!", added Applejack.

"Thanks for the efforts, girls, but I think I will be fine for now. It's Spike that needs the attention! Twilight Sparkle, if Spike is slacking off with his work, moping around, or tries to harm himself in any way, please, I ask of you, do not get mad at him! He's going through very rough times and I'd hate to see him more melancholy then he his now! It's my fault for any change in behavior, and I am very very very sorry! It's my fault.", Rarity said.

Just then, Twilight looked out the window and saw Spike with a huge smile, skipping through Ponyville while throwing flower petals around with a happy glow in his eyes.

"Oh ho, life is great, Spikey Wikey!", Spike said to himself, "Nothing beats two beautiful days in a row! Hey Golden Harvest! Hi Twinkleshine! Life sure is maaag-nificent!"

Twilight had quite a perplexed look on her face. Her eyes grew as her pupils shrank. Not only has she never seen Spike so cheerful but this also contradicted all that Rarity just told. The other ponies toke note on what Spike just did. They all turned to Rarity with very confused looks. Rarity was just as confused as the other ponies.

"Um, what was up with that story, now Rarity?", confusingly asked Twilight.

"Wow, way to depress us for absolutely no reason, Rare! Uncool!", added Rainbow Dash.

"Spike looks just exactly like he did here in the shop yesterday to get the party cannon!", said Pinkie Pie.

"Rarity, please explain.", said Twilight.

"Um, girls, I'm just as shocked as you all are! I have no idea why Spike is so enthusiastic. He does look like he did before my refusal when he was all excited."

"I just don't get it, Spike is never like this when helping me in the library. He hasn't been this excited since I took him to see 'The Gems vs. Ponies Combat Apocalypse On Ice' last month!", said Twilight. "Who here thinks they know why Spike is so happy? Pinkie Pie!"

"Present and accounted for, sir ma'm sir boss!", responded Pinkie Pie.

"You're always happy and very enthusiastic!"

"I am?"

"Of course, Pinkie! Now, think! What is something that would make you as happy as Spike just was?"

It didn't take long for her to come up with an answer.

"A party!"

"Okay, great! Now what do you think would make Spike as happy as we just saw? Especially because of yesterday's 'episode'."

"Hmmm, well when he came into Sugarcube Corner yesterday, he was just as happy as when we just saw him! Why was he happy, you may ask? Well, he wouldn't tell me, but now I know it's because of Rarity! Well, hmm, even though Rarity rejected him last night, he's still happier than Princess Luna in a dream about brownies! Since he was just as happy yesterday, I'd say he's happy for veeeerry similar reasons today! Lemme take a closer look at him; tall posture, elegant strides, hmmm, a 36.5 degree upward incline of the corner of his mouths, umm, yep! It's a girl."

"The goddess of happiness has spoken!!!", Rainbow Dash sarcastically said while laughing.

"So you're saying that Spike is happy because he met another girl?", asked Fluttershy.

"Yupey wupey!", said Pinkie.

"Dang, she's good.", said Applejack.

"Well we don't know if it involves a girl for sure, but we'll hopefully find out soon enough.", said Rarity. "It's miraculous to see that I am now a thing of the past for him. Let's just pray he's in good hooves with whoever this one is!"

"Oh my! I was supposed to leave awhile ago to work on new spells Princess Celestia wanted me to learn! I'm sorry girls, it was great seeing you, but I have to get back to the library to study! I'll be secretive with Spike.", said the alicorn. Twilight's friends bid their farewells as she rushed back to Golden Oaks Library.

~

Sweetie Belle was in her sister's boutique, sitting at a table while pondering about life and Equestria's greatest mysteries and theories. She was very eager to see Spike. Soon enough, there was a knock on the door and she found herself racing to see who it was. A big smile appeared on her face as she opened the door to see the dragon she's been waiting for, except now with an obviously fake mustache and a top hat.

"Umm, hello sir, may I help you?", Sweetie Belle joked.

"C'mon, it's me, Spike!", said Spike.

"Hmm, you're not Spike. You have a mustache!", she joked.

"(Sigh) If you don't like the stach just tell me. I've got a sack of others!", Spike said as he individually tried each of them on for Sweetie. Sweetie chuckled at each of them.

"I knew it was you all along, Spike! Now, hehe, I don't mean to be rude, but cut the mustaches. No offense or anything, but they don't make you look any better."

"Well, alright. I'll do anything to make you happy, Sweetie Belle."

Sweetie blushed. "Thank you, Spike."

They stared in each other's eyes for a good period of time. Their faces started getting closer and they were about to engage in another kiss. But then they simultaneously halted as their pupils shrank. They jumped back from each other.

"We can't kiss here!", said Sweetie Belle.

"We can't kiss there!", said Spike pointing outside.

"Oh, we can't kiss anywhere!", said Sweetie as she lowered her head. Spike put his hand on her shoulder. Sweetie looked up at him.

"Remember; in public, we're only friends. We're spies, like you said Agent Sweetie.", Spike said as Sweetie laughed in response.

"Only in public, Commander Spike!", said the unicorn.

"Oooh, Commander Spike? Quite the title you've got there!", Spike said as he confidently stared off into the distance like a commander. Sweetie wouldn't stop laughing at Spike's antics.

"C'mon, let's go see what's going on in Ponyville!", Sweetie proposed. Spike rapidly nodded in agreement. They linked arms, but quickly separated and blushed.

"Um, last pony to the marketplace has to bathe Opal!", Spike said as he ran off. Sweetie chuckled and ran after him. They wrapped up their brief race at the entrance to the marketplace. Breathing heavily after their run, Spike turned and saw Sweetie Belle jumping for joy.

"I win! I win! Oh oh, a little advice for you, Spike; Opal may be a struggle to get into the tub.", said the unicorn.

"Haha, listen closely! I said that the last pony to get here looses! I'm not a pony! Therefore, you were the last pony to arrive even though you came before me! Which means that you're putting Oppey Woppey in the tubbey wubbey! Haha!", said Spike.

"Oh, ah, you got me!", said Sweetie. They started chuckling, but then quickly remembered their species difference due to the young dragon's trick. This made Sweetie Belle and Spike sigh in brief sadness. "Well, friend," Sweetie said as she winked at Spike, "what do you wanna do?"

"We can check out the café, buddy.", replied Spike.

They went all over the town trying to find anything they could do together. The two were prevented from doing any romantic things or actions that will blow their relationship's cover, so their activity choices were limited. From cloud-watching to floor sweeping, their attempts to have fun as an undercover couple were more fruitless than the crusaders' attempts to get their cutie marks. Spike kept a smile throughout, mostly because he got to spend his once-in-a-lifetime day off with his favorite girl. Although Spike was having an exceptionally fun time, Sweetie couldn't help but not enjoy it. She tried, but ultimately failed. The unicorn filly wanted Spike and wanted to have "lover-style" talk, as she puts it in her mind, with him. It was now around three o'clock, and the two were sitting on a bench in a secluded area in Ponyville park.

"Today was great-tastic! I, oh boy, I had an amazing time with you, Sweetie Belle!"

"That's good to hear, Spike."

"Oh man oh man, well, I don't really consider watching ponies walk by or helping mow ponies' grass fun, but I got to do it with you! That made my day, if not my life!"

"Great."

Spike sat up and turned to Sweetie Belle. He had a surprised and confusing look at how she was acting.

"Um, Sweetie?"

"Yes, Spike?"

"You, um, how do I put this… you look, upset."

"Oh?"

"Um, did you have as much fun as I did today? It sure doesn't really look like it."

"Well, normally, um, ponies don't do things like that for date-things. I'm not even sure what to call this. I'll tell you now that I didn't like today but not because of what we did for fun but because, (sigh) it's too hard to not make it look like we love each other."

Spike felt the same inside, but kept ignoring it in his mind up until this point. "I'm no expert on what ponies do for dates but, I mean, it's hard when you're a pony and I'm a dragon and all that guacamole. We can't do much in font of all these ponies!"

"(Sigh) I really wish we could talk to somepony about this situation without sounding like freaks for loving each other."

A duration of depressing silence fell over them.

"Um, Sweetie," asked Spike, "you're not gonna ask anypony, are you?"

"I'm so sorry Spike, but (sigh) no. I can't ask anypony! And k-keeping a secret relationship was much harder than I thought."

Spike was struggling to avoid tears. "So (sniff) d-does this mean we're calling it quits?" He did not want this to happen. Last night and this day were amongst the happiest memories of his life. He wanted to avoid all of it crumbling down at all costs. That would make two rejections from both his dream girls two days in a row, as well as making last night with Sweetie a bad memory in his mind.
Sweetie Belle showed no sign of avoiding crying, and leaned on the dragon's side as she let her tears flow out. Spike gently brushed her back as she cried into his chest. She wanted Spike as much as Spike wanted her. She just couldn't keep up with secret love. Sweetie did not want the public to avoid her in disgust for falling in love with another species as well. Her sane reputation would be at risk.

After a while of coming up with things to say, Sweetie sadly let out, "I'm so sorry Spike, but (sniff) I'm afraid we have to b-break up."

After trying to come up with ways to persuade Sweetie Belle one last time, Spike abruptly gave up all attempts and hung his head in depression.

Sweetie was barely able to speak as she cried. "I'm just so so so sorry! I mean, Rarity yesterday and me today. I love you!"

"I love you too, and (sniff) I just, um, man, I love you way more than you can imagine. It just can't be a secret. I'd hate to see you being made fun of or shunned by Ponyville for loving me though. We're perfect! It's just that I'm a stupid dragon. I just want you to be happy yet still have a good reputation."

"You're not a stupid dragon, Spike. You are a dragon, but the greatest one in all of Equestria."

Another silence started and felt like 200 moons, but was only about one minute. Spike and Sweetie let out their last tears and looked into their wet, red eyes.

"One, um, one last kiss, Spike?", asked a nervous Sweetie. Spike didn't say yes out loud, but said yes physically . He moved his head closer. Sweetie did the same. Their lips met. It was just like their kiss the night before, just minus the joy and happiness. Their lips separated, and they looked into each other.

"It looks like we have to abort the mission, Agent Sweetie.", said Spike.

"(Sniff) That was my favorite mission of all, Commander.", replied Sweetie. The pair looked at each other, this time with sad smiles. They then engaged in a tight hug. Spike all of a sudden darted his head up and looked down the trail that their bench was next to.
"What's the matter?", asked Sweetie.

"I hear somepony. I… I gotta go! They can't see us crying together, too suspicious looking!", answered Spike. The dragon quickly hugged the unicorn and got off the bench. Wiping his dragon eyes, he waved goodbye and ran off. "See ya, buddy!", Spike sadly yelled out to the filly. She waved back and let out a forced smile. Sweetie stared at Spike as he ran off towards Ponyville, appearing smaller the further he went. Sweetie Belle didn't care if anypony was coming down the trail. The world was spinning around her. Love was too complicated for her. Life was too complicated for her. At that moment, at least, everything was complicated for her. The poor filly couldn't take this, and curled up into a ball and started crying again.

"I wish I knew.", she mumbled as she cried. "I wish I knew…". She was desperate to know for sure if ponies and dragons could fall in love, but simply could not ask. Coming down the trail was one of the town's happiest couples; Cranky Doodle Donkey and Matilda. They were laughing at old stories that they were conversing. Their laughter ceased as they saw Sweetie Belle crying her eyes out on the bench.

"Oh my, are you okay, young mare?", worryingly asked Matilda.

"Is there anything that we can do for you?", asked Cranky.

Sweetie Belle looked up. "No thank you. I think I need some alone time."

"You're Rarity's sister, aren't you?", asked Matilda, trying to break the ice.

"Yes", replied the filly. "My name, it's Sweetie Belle."

"Are you sure you need no help, dear Sweetie Belle?", asked Matilda.

"No! I'm not sure. I'm not sure of anything anymore. Just let me stay here until the bench breaks from me staying here for the rest of my life." Matilda and Cranky looked at each other with worried looks and then turned back to Sweetie. "You wouldn't understand."

"Well I for one have been to nearly every city in Equestria and have dealt with ponies, donkeys, mules, griffons and whatnot of all kinds. I think I can help ya, kid.", offered Cranky.

"Well, um…". Sweetie Belle knew that Cranky had a vast knowledge of everything Equestrian. She was dying to ask about pony-dragon love, but felt safer to avoid it. "Um, let's say that, well, um. You see, my friend, yeah, my friend likes somepony."

A smirk appeared on Cranky's face. It was obvious to him that she was referring to herself when she said that it was her "friend" with a problem. "Are you sure that it's you're 'friend'.", he asked in a tone that made Sweetie Belle realize that Cranky knew it was her.

"No! Wait, no, it's not technically my friend, um, it's my enemy, yes! My enemy, and um, she's my cousin's, umm, cousin. And, uh, my cousin's cousin that I hate had a dog and that dog's last owner had the problem that I'm talking about! She was a, um, a pegasus and, uh, her cutie mark is a, umm, what could uh, a park bench! And, um, her name is Canterlot, err, um, -zel. Her name is Canterlotzel! So yeah, um, my cousin's cousin that hates me, no wait, I hate her, had a dog who's last owner was a pegasaurus, err, no, I mean pegasus, and is named Canterlotzel! And her cutie mark is a park bench!", Sweetie Belle quickly made up.

Cranky chuckled. "Some story you got there kiddo. Now tell me, what exactly is 'Canterlotzel's' issue?", he asked.

Sweetie hesitated to answer, but finally forced herself. "Canterlotzel, well, um, she divorced with her husband named, uhh, Rarity. I mean McRarity! Lightning McRarity! So, you see, uhh, Canterlotzel really misses Lightning McRarity, and Lightning McRarity misses Canterlotzel just as much. They divorced for the good of things though. They never fought or anything. They were the perfect husband and wife. It's just that, uhh, they just weren't welcome as a couple where they lived."

"Where did they live-", Matilda attempted to ask until Cranky put his hoof over her mouth.

"Carry on, Sweetie.", said Cranky.

"Well so, they were really sad when they left each other and, so, yeah. That's Canterlotzel's problem.", Sweetie finished.

"Well I am terribly sorry for 'Canterlotzel' and 'Lightning McRarity'.", Cranky said to make it seem that he was on board with the filly's story. "Do you need help making Canterlotzel feel better?" Sweetie Belle nodded. "Well let me tell you something. When I first stepped hoof in Ponyville, one pony I met never frowned once. She always walked around with a grand smile and never turned the corners of her mouth upside down. Now everypony goes through hardships, nopony has a perfect life. But this pony grinned through all her problems, big or small. I learned so much from her. I learned much more than I wanted, but it was just as much as I needed. I've drastically changed ever since. Are we on the same page?"

"Yes.", replied Sweetie.

"Good. Well this pony I mentioned always looked to the bright side of everything and reassured to many, including myself, that there will always be a bright side to something no matter what the situation. Though it may be necessary to look to the dark side sometimes, one must always look to the brighter. It could result in many positive things, perhaps friendship, even! And if ponies are considering saying something negative, they should immediately stop and say something happier. It will not only make everypony around you glad, but also yourself.", said Cranky.

"Okay", said Sweetie.

"I hope I helped you, Sweetie. Errr, I mean, I hope my advice will help Canterlotzel cheer up.", said Cranky.

"Thank you, Mr. Doodle", thanked Sweetie Belle. Although Cranky's little speech made her happier, she still felt empty for not getting the answer for the question she wanted to ask.

Author's Note:

Here is chapter 2 of "Spike's Pony Chronicles". There will definitely be more where this came from! Thanks for the views.