• Published 16th Nov 2013
  • 6,164 Views, 73 Comments

Spike's Pony Chronicles - Golden Age



Is becoming a pony all Spike the dragon really wanted? He and Sweetie Belle sure think so and want it more than anything.

  • ...
22
 73
 6,164

Chapter 1: Spike the Dragon's Day Off

Celestia's big bright magical sun rose over Ponyville at the start of a new morning. In the town library, a purple baby dragon, Spike, was waking up from his night sleep. He yawned, causing a green flame to burst out of his mouth and make his pillow catch fire. Spike sprang up, ran off, returned with water, and doused it all over the bedroom.

"Phew, now that was a close one, Twilight! Umm, Twilight?"

He got no answer. The dragon glanced around and saw no purple alicorn. He then felt something in his throat, and started to gag a little. The dragon then burped out a letter. It read:

Dear Spike,
It's me, Twilight. I'm having just a wonderful time in Canterlot! The princesses and Shining Armor are really enjoying my company, but they miss you more than ever. Too bad you didn't want to join me, but I can understand since I'll only be there for royal reasons rather than leisure. Don't get too excited, but the library is your's for the day. Unless you want to help anypony else out, you have a day off. I promise I'll be back tomorrow! Please oh please don't destroy the library or do any shenanigans while I'm gone. I hope I can count on you, number one assistant!
Sincerely,
Twilight Sparkle

"Humph, maybe I'd be happier if I knew when exactly these letters would arrive."

Spike stayed put angrily. Then he realized the kind of opportunity he had that day.

"Oh boy! I get to finally be home alone with absolutely no chores to do! Now how could I of all dragons forget such a day?"

The overjoyed reptile stood there thinking.

"Hmmm, I never often have free days. How should I take up this next 24 hours?"

Spike looked at Twilight's clock and saw that it was 9:26 A.M.

"9:26? I'm already nine hours and twenty-six minutes and, let's see, one two three four… 12 seconds into my free day! Now 15 seconds! Oh, the humanity, make it stop! Think, Spike, think! How can I take up this precious time?"

Spike backed up and knocked into a shelf, causing papers on it to fall on him. One of the papers got stuck on his sharp tail, causing him to sigh and yank it off. He looked at the other papers that fell, which included his bad crayon illustrations of him and Twilight smiling, blank parchment to write to the princess, and a checklist that Spike himself made a while beforehand. Picking up the checklist, Spike realized that it was a to-do list of things to do and gather for a very special occasion. It was a special occasion to Spike, at least.

"Well would you look at this? Ha ha, this is exactly what I'll do today! I better keep this list handy. With no Twilight around, this is the perfect idea!"

Spike gathered some bits, put them in a bag, and ran out of the library with it. The to-do list he had was one that told him what to do to ask Rarity to be his special some-pony.

~

A white unicorn named Rarity arose from her nightly slumber in her boutique.

"Uhhhhhhn, (yawn)."

Rarity then shook her head rapidly.

"Humph, a lady never yawns loudly, with or without company. Opal, rise and shine! I have yet another busy, hard-working, innovative, and elaborate day ahead of me. However it must commence with a simple, silent-"

There was then a loud knock on the door, causing a tired Rarity to cringe.

"Well so much for being silent!"

She forced a smile and a welcoming face as she opened the door to see her younger sister, Sweetie Belle, and her two best friends, Apple Bloom and Scootaloo, standing in the doorway smiling.

"Hi sis!", Sweetie Belle happily said.

"Mornin' Rarity!", Apple Bloom said.

"What's up with your mane?", Scootaloo said.

Rarity looked up at her mane. Her sleep made it look like Pinkie Pie's. She quickly did her best to somewhat fix it up.

"Uhhh, sis? Are you going to say hi to you're sis, sis?"

Rarity quickly stopped with her mane.

"Ah yes, good morning, Sweetie Belle."

"Annndddd don't forget your sis's friends, sis!"

"Of course, good morning sis, err I mean Scootaloo and Apple Bloom."

"Mornin'! Um, I reckon you should work on yer mane a lil' more.", Apple Bloom said.

Rarity looked up and saw that her mane after her work now looked like Fluttershy's. She quickly got back to work.

"Sooooo, while you're having a bad mane day, Sweetie Belle had a question for you! Isn't that right, Sweets?", Scootaloo said.

"Yep! Umm, sis, I was wondering if I could (gulp) um…

After a little more work, Rarity's mane then looked like Princess Celestia's. She used her unicorn magic to make it wave like hers.
"Ooh, I guess I just have a magic touch, hehe!" Rarity said under breath. "Now Sweetie Belle, be a dear and tell me what you wanted to."

"Okay! I just wanted to know if umm,", Sweetie Belle said as her smile disappeared.

"Go on." Rarity said.

"Can I, err we, err, I mean um…"

"Please Sweetie Belle!"

"Can we, uhh…"

"Spit it out, child!"

"Can we, um, help yo-"

"NO, please NO HELP!!! For the love of Celestia!"

Her anger and movement caused her mane to get messy again. The three fillies stared at Rarity, bewildered at what she said and how she reacted.

"Oh, um, ahem, no Sweetie Belle. I don't wish to be helped today, but thank you for the gesture.", Rarity added.

"Awww, but you said that Spike was coming later to help!", Sweetie Belle said. The other crusaders started laughing upon her mentioning "Spike".

"Oh yeah, I'm sure he'd love to 'help' you!", Scootaloo snickered.

"Please, oh please, girls, I know that Spike has a liking for me but I'm positive that he's helping me today because, um, he's just being a good friend. That's all.", Rarity spoke.

"Well, are ya lookin' forward ta seein' yer gooood friend later today?", joked Apple Bloom.

"Girls! Spike never brings up his love towards me. It's on a need-to-know basis, and nopony needs to know."

Rarity quickly tried changing the subject.

"Now Sweetie Belle, you got up this early just to ask if I needed help?"

"Yep! Me and the other crusaders had a sleepover at my house and we thought we'd get a cutie mark in being good assistants, sis! Besides, Mom and Dad sent me here cause you have to watch me while they'll be in Las Pegasus over the weekend!"

"Ah yes, that. You can go to the guest room Sweetie Belle, and you're friends can stay here if you want. Just, I ask of you, NO crusading in the shop! I can, and definitely will, work on my own today! Now Sweetie, you may take your friends to your guest room.

"Thanks Rarity!"

"Oh, right now? Sorry Sweetie Belle, but Applejack and Mac need ma help soon gettin' an apple that got stuck in the roof drain of the barn and is cloggin' up all the water.", Apple Bloom said.

"Yeah, definitely later. My scooter popped a wheel on a maneuver I pulled off yesterday and I need to fix it ASAP as possible.", Scootaloo added, not realizing what "ASAP" stood for.

"Oh, well, bye girls!", Sweetie Belle spoke. They joyfully hopped away like Pinkie Pie on a sunny morning as Sweetie Belle went into the next room. Rarity smiled.

"Oh, Sweetie Belle, I hope you never grow up.", she thought. She then said aloud, "Now let me see here, dresses, dresses, dresses, mail, dresses… oooh, the mail's here!"

There was a fashion magazine and an envelope in her mail pile that came through the slot in the door. The envelope had "To Rarity" written on it in crayon and had hearts drawn all over it.

"Let me take a wild guess, hmmm, Spike.", Rarity sarcastically said. She chuckled as she opened the envelope up with her unicorn magic and saw a folded up letter written in crayon.

"Here we go again, Rarity", she sighed to herself as she read it.

Dearest Rarity,
I am happy to invite you to join me in a picnic that I will have later tonight on muzzle hill just outside Ponyville. I'm sorry I can't help you today but I'm busy with things and stuff. I really hope you can make it because if you can't I'll be sad. Don't worry about getting there. I'll take you! Also don't worry about what we eat because I'll finish everything you won't. I'll pick you up around 6:30. Can you come? Cool! I knew you'd say yes. So yeah please please come!
Love,
Spike
P.S. I wrote this one all by myself this time!

Rarity felt a weird sensation. Spike has given her numerous gifts and compliments but has never actually asked her out. She sighed.

"Oh, no, this is not good, this is not good at all. I don't want to break Spikey Wikey's wittle dwagon heart! I must go to his picnic."

Meanwhile, Sweetie Belle was awfully silent, and had her mind on things outside of finding her special talent. She was thinking about someone. A dragon. She sat at the door, sighed, and curled up into a ball. She didn't like how the crusaders were joking about Spike. She doesn't usually like it when other ponies, or dragons in this case, are made fun of. Their humility towards Spike wouldn't get him out of her mind. As Rarity was snipping fabrics for one of her client's dresses, she looked at Sweetie Belle at the door. Seeing her sister in this condition always saddened her, so she walked over to see what was wrong.

"Sweetie Belle, you just seemed so happy earlier and now you seem troubled and deeply saddened over something. What is it?"

"You wouldn't understand."

"Something is simply wrong, darling!"

"No Rarity, everything's okay."

"Tellme!"

"No bu-"

"Tellme!"

"Rarity I don't want to."

Rarity thought a little bit, trying to come up with things that typically bother her sister.

"Is it that you don't have your cutie mark?"

"No."

"Are Diamond Tiara and Silver Spool-"

"Spoon."

"Silver Spoon, my mistake, are they bullying you again?"

"Not since school but that's not the problem."

"(Gasp) Is it because I overreacted and did not allow you to partake in helping me? Oh Sweetie, I'M SO SORRY!!! Oh, my, I'll do anything, to make it up, ANYTHING!!"

"Rari-"

"Yes Sweetie?!?!"

"That's not the problem."

"Oh. Phew, that was a relief."

Something was urging Rarity to ask her if it has anything to do with a boy.

"Is it a boy?"

Sweetie Belle hesitated to respond but eventually let out a quiet "Maybe". She said it quieter than Fluttershy, but Rarity still acted as if it were a yes.

"Oh my, my very own sister has a potential special some-pony! I knew this day would come! Who is it? Is it that brown pony with that out-of-style propeller beanie who took you to get milkshakes?"

"No, not him. He was just a friend."

Rarity was now jumping up and down.

"Tellme tellme tellme tellme TELLME!!!!"

Sweetie Belle was hiding in a corner in fear. Rarity took note of this and calmed down.

"Oh, um, so sorry, where are my manners, what I meant to say was that it would be a pleasure to know who you like." Sweetie Belle was still shaking.

"You can always ask me for help, sis." Rarity winked at Sweetie Belle.

"Well, to be honest, Rarity, it's not about love."

Rarity lowered her head and ears.

"Oh, well, still please do carry on! I don't want you to be so sad."

"Okay, well, I was wondering, about Spike."

"Yes?"

"Why exactly do you not like him if like he likes you so much?"

Rarity stared blankly at her sister and then chuckled.

"Oh, Sweetie, haha, listen to yourself! Oh you should really have a cutie mark in comedy, dear!"

"But I was really asking why!"

"Oh, well isn't it obvious? Spike is very young, around your age as a matter of fact! Let's visualize! Now, let's see, who's a colt in your class, um, Featherweight! Yes, how about Featherweight, and let's see, who's my age, umm, Rainbow Dash! Now you logically wouldn't even think of them being in love together, would you?"

Sweetie Belle pretended to vomit.

"Now that's what I though, Sweetie. I hope you understand what I'm trying to insinuate."

Sweeite Belle nodded.

"Good. Also, um, he is a dragon, and as far as I am concerned I have never head of a pony-dragon relationship in my life."

"Why does that matter, sis?"

"It just, well, simply, doesn't seem correct. Now if other ponies were doing so and if Spike was around my age range, I would possibly say yes. However, Spike is far too young, and ponies shouldn't be falling for dragons."

"Thanks Rarity."

"I hope I helped you, Sweetie."

"You did, Rarity."

"Great, glad to aid you! Now your friends may need your help! Are you going to join them?"

"Okay, I will, thanks."

Sweetie Belle left the boutique, still upset. She still couldn't get Spike out of her mind and what would happen if he were to ask Rarity out and get "no" for an answer.

~

Meanwhile in the marketplace, a baby dragon with a big smile from ear to ear was out buying everything on his checklist. He seemed to be in a much better mood than usual. He first got lots of flowers.

"Morning, Laurel Petals! What's the best flower ya got?"

"Top of the morning, Spike! Well, lucky for you I have this wonderful assortment of lilacs right here!"

"Thanks, Laurel!"

Spike also got a basket.

"Hey, Forrest!"

"Spikester, good to see ya! Lemme guess, twenty baskets?"

"Ha ha ha, wait what?"

"Just teasin'! Whew I got ya good! One basket?"

"Yessiree!"

"This here is a top of the line picnic basket! It can withstand 100 pounds of weight inside and has a stylish finish, if I do say so myself! Have a great day, Spike!"

"It's already off to a great start!"

He needed food and decorations.

"HEY Spikey Winkerdoodle!"

"HEY Pinkie Winkadoodle!"

"Well some dragon is in a fantabulous mood today!"

"Oh, you betcha Pinkie! Now I came to Sugarcube Corner for a specific reason."

"You wanted to say aloha to your great friend, Pinkie Pie? That's me, by the way!"

"Yes, I know! But that's not all. I need the best dessert you have!"

"Well we have cake and brownies and jello and tart and cookies and wedding cake and oh is there a difference between normal cake and wedding cake except that wedding cakes are so fantastically BIG and cakes are so teeny-weeny little and oh cupcakes are like little babies and oh yeah we have ice cream treats and pies and pazookis and OOOOHHHHHHHHHHH they're all just so good I can't decide!"

"They all seem wonderful!"

"What should we choose?!?!"

"I'll enee meanie minee mo to decide which one!"

"That's my favoritest game ever!"

"Mine too! Let's see, enee meanie, minee… it's the cookies! The cookies!"

"My second favorite!"

"I'll take a dozen sapphire sugar cookies, please, Pinkie!"

"Here I'll give you two dozen, on me!"

"Gosh, Pinkie, you didn't have to!"

"But you're my friend and I wanna make you smile! A dozen free cookies always makes me smile!"

"Thanks, Pinkie Pie!"

"Now you said you needed decorations too, now, didn't you!"

"Only the best! This is extreeemely important and I can't mess up!"

"Can you tell me what it is?"

"That's for me to know and you to likely find out."

"Okay, well if it's that important and all then, hmmm… Spike, take the party cannon."

"(gasp) But Pinkie, it's your pride and joy!"

"Return it by tomorrow, you need it more that I do!"

"Thank you so much!"

"Anything to make my friend smile!"

Spike needed a stylish carriage to pick Rarity up in, so he went to a carriage rental facility near Ponyville. He was offered several carriages, including a boxy, muscle-like Equestrian carriage pulled by a mustang, a long, curvy foreign sports carriage pulled by a jaguar, a sporty, sharp-edged Istallion sports carriage pulled by a raging bull, and a stylish, boxy Equestrian carriage with a stylish paint finish pulled by an impala. Spike finally decided on a red Istallion sports carriage called a "Ferrony" that was pulled by a prancing horse named Enzo. He had the Ferrony parked behind the library as he was on his way to buy a picnic blanket. As he was reading the list, he did not see where he was going as he accidentally bumped into a white unicorn filly that looked a lot like Rarity.

"Sweetie Belle?"

"Spike?!?!"

"I'm really sorry about that, haha, I guess I got a little too excited."

Sweetie Belle remembered what Rarity said about him and was happy to see him so glad. However, since she couldn't get him out of her mind for a long time, she felt awkward around him and found herself blushing a lot.

"It's okay, Spike! So um, why are you so excited?"

"Well since I have a day off I figured I better take care of something that's muy importante!"

"Really? Cool! So, wait, you aren't helping Rarity today?"

"Oh, I'll be 'helping' her soon enough! Haha, I'm gonna have a romantic picnic with her tonight!"

Sweeite Belle's eyes went wide open as her fake smile turned into a rapid frown.

"Oh, um, tonight?"

"Yep! I know for sure that she'll be my-"

Spike leaned into Sweetie Belle's ear and whispered.

"-special some-pony."

Sweetie Belle's ears dropped as did her tail and all her spirits.

"Hey, Sweeite Belle, something bugging you?"

Sweetie didn't want to be the one to reveal Rarity's true feelings towards him, so she held it back.

"No, I'm happy as an oak!"

"That's not even an expression."

"Oh, yeah, hehe, it's not, is it now? Is it me or is it cold out or something, hehe!"

Sweetie's heart was pounding because she knew Spike would be crushed by what Rarity will tell him. It also pounded because this was causing her to start having a feeling towards him that she's never felt about him before. She started shaking, her legs trembling. Ponies walking by started staring. One even thought she was a street performer and gave her a bit.

"Umm, Sweetie Belle?", Spike asked again.

"I, uhhh, gotta go fish the mane duck!", she blurted as she ran off to the boutique. Spike stood there staring into space wondering as to what just happened. He then shrugged and carried on with his shopping, confident as ever. Sweetie Belle went to her guest room and put her face down into her pillow. She came to terms and realized that what she started to feel towards Spike was love.

"I can't like like Spike, I just can't! He's a dragon, and Rarity's warned me about how that kind of love would turn out!"

Apple Bloom and Scootaloo then entered the boutique and were as excited as Spike.

"Sweetie Belle, we've got some serious crusadin' to do!", Apple Bloom said.

"Let's hop to it!", Scootaloo added. They then saw that their friend had tears in her eyes.

"Sweetie Belle? Is everything sailing smooth?", Scootaloo asked.

"Oh, of course! I just had sand in my eyes!", said the unicorn.

"What sand, I don't see none!", Apple Bloom asked.

"Oh, well, I tried to get a, um, an acting cutie mark by acting as if there was sand in my eye!", Sweetie Belle lied. Seeing that her friends weren't convinced, she acted as if she had been acting. "Oh, et tú, Brute? What light beyond yer mane breaks…"
They easily fell for it.

"Cool! Now, Sweets, you up for a tree climbing cutie mark?", the pegasus asked.

"Tree climbing? Where?", asked the unicorn.

"Just Alpine Pine, the tallest tree in Ponyville!", added Apple Bloom.

"Ummmm, okay!" Sweetie Belle joyfully said with her signature cracked voice.

"Let's do it! Oh, Sweetie Belle, a little advice; next time you try acting, do a musical. You're a great singer!", Scootaloo said.

"I can't sing!", Sweetie Belle insinuated. The other crusaders rolled their eyes but then left as a trio.

~

It was 6:30, and Rarity was combing her mane waiting for Spike's arrival.

"I can only wonder what Spike has planned. I don't believe he has ever interacted with a lady, or any female for that matter, like this before. Just do your best to try to make him feel good and you'll be happy, Rarity! Yes, it'll be over before you know it!"

Squealing tires outside caused Rarity to look out, only to discover it was Spike drifting the Ferrony in front of Carousel Boutique.

"Oh Celestia."

The window went down and Spike was inside with a top hat and fake mustache. He stared at Rarity and smiled. Rarity gave a fake smile back and a wave behind her window. She came out of the boutique and got in the passenger seat of the carriage.

"Evening, Rarity!"

"Oh, um, good evening Spike! I'm, um, glad you've invited me to a friendly little picnic with you."

"I'm just as happy as you! Yaaa, onward, Enzo!", Spike Called toward the prancing pony pulling the sports carriage. Enzo pranced and then ran off. It was silent in the carriage until Rarity finally broke the ice.

"So, um, Spike, I didn't know you knew how to drive."

"You didn't? Well you see, life expectancy for us dragons is very unpredictable and it varies among us. Some live to see two years, others live to see two-thousand. That's why I learned to drive while back in Canterlot! They teach all the younger ones."

"Ah, I see."

It was an awfully quiet ride up to Muzzle Hill outside Ponyville. When they finally got there, Spike pulled the picnic blanket and basket out of the front-mounted trunk. He set them up as Rarity sat down. After giving Enzo a tip, Spike joined Rarity. He gave her the basket.

"Well? Gonna open it?"

"Oh, why of course! Very well then." Rarity opened the basket. "Ooh, lilacs? My, um, favorite. And these cookies look simply delectable."

"Oh-ho, thank you! Just for you, Rarity!"

They then engaged in small talk until the sky finally turned dark.

"And then I taught Twilight what 'cool' meant in slang last week!"

"Oh ha ha, silly Twilight. Say, Spike, it's getting awfully dark out and nopony else has shown up yet."

"And let's keep it that way."

"I beg your pardon?"

"Rarity, I've been meaning to ask you this since I first laid eyes on you."

Several thoughts were rushing through Rarity's head. "Oh no," she thought, "he's going to actually ask me! He'll be heartbroken! But he's been so happy all day."

Spike pulled out the party cannon and shot its confetti ammo everywhere. He then grabbed the lilacs and held them out to her. It was clear that hard work was put into Spike's little performance. Tears were starting to form in Rarity's eyes as was a feel of guilt. Spike took off the hat and mustache.

"Rarity."

"Y-yes, Spike?"

"Will you be my special some-pony?"

Several thoughts were also going through Spike's head. They were "Yes yes yes yes yes…". Rarity was getting an opposite reaction.

"Well, Spike, I see that you took up your entire free day to do this. For me! A beautiful assortment of lilacs, my favorite flower, lots of cookies, an expensive sports carriage, and even Pinkie's party cannon."

Spike's smile kept growing and growing, not aware of what was to come next.

"But, (sigh) as much as I hate to inform you, my answer is, well, no."

Spike's smile disappeared immediately.

"N-n-no?!?! But Rarity why? I help you all day and do all this for you and-"

"I really appreciate your efforts Spike and I see that you'd die for me."

Spike's eyes started to water up and tears came down his face. Rarity felt as if she was shooting Ol' Yeller.

"But, but my birthday! When I told you I like you! W-why don't you like me?", Spike barley muttered out.

"Well, um, how do I put this…"

"WHY NOT?!?!"

"Because you're very young and you're a dragon!"

Rarity couldn't believe she actually told him that. Spike couldn't believe it either. That was another thing against being a dragon. He burnt half his pillow to a crisp this morning, unexpectedly pukes letters, gets things stuck on his sharp tail, and thought of as a freak if falling in love with a pony. He shifted from a cry to a sob. He rolled up into a ball and let his tears pour out.

"Spike I didn't mean to inform you in that demeanor! You're wonderful at being a dragon!"

"Who am I kidding, I'm not good for anything!"

"Spikey Wikey, you've accepted being a dragon for years now-"

"Don't call me Spikey Wikey!", Spike yelled. "Of course you don't like me, I'm a monster!"

"Spike you have an adorable and highly unique personality that nopony else can ever obtain!"

"But I'm a dragon! Rarity, if I were a pony, would you like me?"

Rarity hesitated to answer but finally did. She even shed some tears.

"Spike I've already said that you're very young for me."

Spike then came to terms. The fact of being too young for Rarity was something he's been trying to avoid for awhile now. Avoiding it has finally caught up to him, as he re-realized that Rarity was Twilight's age.

"Oh, you're right, Rarity! How could I be so dumb?!?! (sniff) All this time I've spent trying to get you to like like me all goes down the drain!"

The angry dragon stomped on the remaining flowers in anger. He kicked one of the Ferrony's rims, causing him to hurt his foot. He started crying even more. Rarity put her foreleg around Spike, but Spike slapped her hoof away. He stood up and stared at Rarity, his eyes red from crying so hard. He calmed down and handed her the keys of the Ferrony.

"Drive the carriage back home, I'll return it in the morning. Give Pinkie her cannon back. I'll just walk to the library."

Spike turned around and started to walk into the forest behind them.

"Spike, don't feel so hard on yourself! We can still be the great friends we've been for a long time!"

Spike angrily looked back, but then ran off into the forest.

Rarity's crying ceased, and she laid on the blanket.

"That was more emotionally painful than New Fluttershy's insults! (Sniff) Well, Rarity, it had to eventually be done, and you've abruptly done it. Oh how will I ever tell Twilight?"

She took a deep breath, and eventually got in the carriage to drive home.

~

"Al-most- there!", Scootaloo joyfully said as the crusaders neared the top of the tallest tree in Ponyville.

"Ah see the top branch, ah see it!", Apple Bloom excitingly said. Sweetie Belle was still silent as ever. As Scootaloo was reaching for the top branch, they heard someone down below.

"Hey, who's up there? What are you doing?"

They looked down and saw a tan stallion with a hat, a badge, and a flashlight in his mouth. His cutie mark was a police-style badge.

"Oh, no, forest rangers! We gotta bail, girls! Maybe I should've told you it was illegal to climb Alpine Pine before we agreed, but it's better to be safe with a blank flank rather than be arrested with a cutie mark!"

"Y'all heard Scootaloo, abort abort!"

"Just one 'little' problem," Sweetie Belle said, "how in Equestria will we ever get down and survive?"

"Sweets, you go down that way! Scoots, you climb down that way, and we'll separate at the bottom, deal?", Apple Bloom asked.

"Get the hay down from there!", the forest ranger barked.

"Deal!", said Scootaloo and Sweetie Belle in unison.

"One, two, three, GO!", Apple Bloom ordered as they all climbed separate ways down as fast as they could. The ranger started running towards the tree, but his pace and galloping made him drop his flashlight and caused it to turn off. As he searched for it,
the crusaders got to the ground and ran off in separate directions. Sweetie Belle didn't focus on anything but running. She hadn't run that fast in her life. She finally made it to a clearing in the forest where she saw a waterfall with a river flowing rapidly down a big cliff. After catching her breath and sighing in relief, she was able to make out a figure standing at the edge of the waterfall. It was short and stood on two legs. It had hands and a sharp tail. There were teary green eyes. She then gasped.

"Spike! Oh no, Rarity must have said no! I'm coming, Spike!"

The dragon couldn't hear the filly and slowly started to tilt over the cliff. Sweetie Belle, now tearing up, used all of her inexperienced unicorn magic to grab Spike, as he was about to purposely fall over the cliff, and reel him to the land. As she set him down next to her, she fell down unconscious due to her using all the magic she had. Spike sat there, shocked.

"Sweetie Belle?", he asked. "Sweetie Belle, wow I can't believe somepony actually tried to save me! Sweetie Belle? Oh Sweetie Belle, please wake up! … Please!"

Spike lied down next to her and waited for her to awaken. About two minutes later, Sweetie Belle slowly arose.

"Sweetie Belle! Oh thank Celestia, you're alive!"

"Huh?", she asked. Her memory then came back to her as she realized she saved Spike from taking his own life. "Why, Spike, thank Celestia you're alive!" Sweetie Belle realized that she saved her crush's own life. They stared at each other and smiled. Then the young unicorn shook her head rapidly and spoke up.

"Spike! What were you doing having yourself fall over the cliff?!?!"

Spike's smile disappeared. He looked down at the ground as memories from earlier played in his mind like a sad movie.

"Rarity said no, didn't she?", Sweetie softly asked.

Spike's heart sank as the words slipped out of Sweetie's mouth.

"Yes," Spike murmured, "she said no."

"Well, umm, that's no reason to try to have yourself killed!"

"It's not only that! You're sister had to do with it, don't get me wrong, but I'm done being a dragon! I'm no good to anypony."

"But Spike, your Twilight's favorite assistant!"

"I'm also her only assistant next to Owlicious, and I still manage to mess something up every day! You don't know what it's like to be a dragon in a pony-filled society!"

Sweetie Belle remembered what Rarity said about dragons. "Is it hard because you can't find a true love?"

Spike stared at her with a blank expression. He didn't want to get all mushy about love, but still couldn't help it. "Yes! That's one of the main reasons! Rarity told me that dragons shouldn't love ponies."

"She told me that too."

"What do you think, Sweetie Belle?"

"About what?"

"What Rarity told both of us, what do you think? I mean, do you believe dragons and ponies are made to be together in love?"

"Well, ummm, well Rarity is the only one to bring this ever up to me and I doubt that Miss Cheerilee will ever teach me about it, so I guess I'm for it."

"You mean like, you think dragons and ponies coul-"

"Yes. I do. So, um, only if you want to answer, what else did Rarity tell you?"

Spike slouched down and told her all. He found it very comfortable to tell her everything.

"And she also said, well, after the part about appreciating my effort, that dragons like me can't love ponies. I know we already brought that up, but it's just one out of many flaws about being a dragon."

"What else is there?"

Spike then gagged a little and started coughing.

"Spike? SPIKE? Are you alright?"

Spike then burped a letter out.

"You see this, Sweetie Belle? How would you like it if you just always unexpectedly had letters burping out of you?", Spike angrily asked as he ripped the letter to shreds. "On top of that, my own breathing is a fire hazard and I have harmful spikes all over me."

"Hence your name."

"What?"

"Nothing!"

"Okay."

"So, um, go on."

"With what?"

"Telling me about the picnic."

"Oh yeah. Rarity told me that I was too young for her, but in all due respect, I must agree with her on that one. But finding a filly just like Rarity that actually like likes me back is going to be harder than impressing Twilight with my knowledge of the history of magic."

Spike then realized that the answer to all his problems was sitting right next to him. He comprehended that he really liked Sweetie Belle. He hadn't thought about it much, but it just sounded so right to him. A pony who looks and acts similar to Rarity who believes that ponies can woo dragons and would make all of Spike's dreams come true was right to his left. Many thoughts were processing through Sweetie Belle's mind as well. There was a long and quiet pause. Sweetie Belle finally broke the silence by saying what she had been waiting to tell Spike as long as her love for him lasted.

"Well, Spike. Ummm, if it makes you feel any better, umm, I love you."

The filly then kissed Spike's cheek. Spike's head darted up as did a smile and a glow in his eyes. The girl of his wildest dreams
didn't only kiss him, but loved him. Although Spike was very enthusiastic about it, Sweetie Belle became more red than Apple Bloom's mane and she cowered down and started crying.

"Um, Sweetie Belle?"

"I'm so sorry just pretend nothing ever happened!", the poor unicorn blurted out.

"Yeah, I just wanted to say that I, uhh, (gulp) love you too.", Spike said as he kissed Sweetie Belle on the lips. It was a long one. When they separated, they stared at each other and smiled. They were their own dream partners. They then hugged so tightly that it would have suffocated Angel bunny if he was between them. Tears of joy dripped down their faces.

"I did it,", Spike thought to himself, "why would I even try on Rarity when I had this perfection here the whole time?"

"I did it,", Sweetie Belle thought to herself, "I have the greatest boy anypony could ask for and he's all mine! His awesome personality will keep me charmed all day!"

Spike was the first to speak.

"Sweetie Belle?", he nervously asked.

"Yes, Spike?", Sweetie Belle excitingly responded.

"Will you be my special some-pony?"

The white unicorn hopped up and down and chased her tail in excitement. "Yes, yes, yes, yes, yes! I'd love that!", she said with her lovely cracked voice. Now that's the kind of response Spike wanted from a girl. Sweetie Belle then stared at Spike in the eyes with glee. As she kept looking, she realized something huge and her smile disappeared.

"Sweets, what's the matter? You look worried, all of a sudden."

Sweetie Belle was saddened again.

"Spike, we can't tell anypony about our love, or tonight even!"

"Well I wasn't really planning on telling anypony that I tried to kill myself, but why not about our love?"

"Well, we're still not sure if dragons and ponies should be loving each other yet. We might get ridiculed or even get in big trouble."

"Oh, yeah. You're right."

Another moment of silence and sadness commenced. They then engaged in a long, tear-filled hug. The dreams they thought had just become a reality all crashed down and ended. Suddenly, Spike's head raised as he got an idea.

"Oh boy, Sweetie Belle, this relationship can work!"

"But how?"

"We can be really secretive about it! We just won't tell anypony, secretly go on dates and stuff, and act like friends when around other ponies!"

"I, umm, great idea! We could be like spies!"

Spike had a confused look on his face.

"You know, because they have secrets?"

"Oh, yeah, of course!"

They chuckled for a while and eventually decided to walk back to Ponyville together.

"Here, Sweets, I'll take, err, ahem, escort you to the boutique!"

"Gee, thanks Spike! Rarity was expecting me back late anyways. Ahem, You truly are a wonderfully wonderful gentleman!", Sweetie Belle said in a stereotype uptight accent. Spike then laughed like a stereotype Prench stallion and said in an uptight accent, "I'd say, positively perfect for a beautiful mare like yourself, mademoiselle!" This made Sweetie Belle chuckle, and they laughed their way to Carousel Boutique.

"Thanks, Spike! I really hope I see you again soon!"

"Well Twilight's returning from her stay in Canterlot tomorrow morning so I promise I'll try to find time!"

"Spike?"

"Yes?"

"If you were a Pony, I'd definitely let this be an open relationship!" She then kissed him on the cheek again. "Goodnight, 'Spikey Wikey'! That was the greatest night of my life!"

Spike laughed. "Goodnight, Sweetie Belle! I also had a wonderful time tonight!" Spike hopped back to the library and was even happier and more confident than during the day. He didn't need any flowers or Ferrony to win a girl over like he tried for Rarity, but only needed himself. He knew that this was true love. When he got back to the library, he saw the clock read "12:27 A.M." Spike smiled to himself. "Oh, Spike, you've spent this twenty-four hours well! It's gonna be hard to hide my love for Sweetie Belle from everypony else, but at least I have her secretly!" He was more exhausted than he thought, and fell asleep after just two minutes of laying in his bed. Meanwhile at the boutique, Rarity heard the door open and recognized Sweetie Belle's hoofsteps, but was too busy thinking about Spike to check on her. She eventually went up to the guest room to find her fast asleep in her bed with a big smile. Rarity's heart melted as she saw this. She whispered "Good night, little sis" and turned off her lights.

Author's Note:

This is my first mlp fanfic, and it focusses on my favorite shipping, Spike x Sweetie Belle. Feast your eyes, as feedback will be appreciated!