• Published 15th Sep 2013
  • 1,419 Views, 3 Comments

Truth - Toraka



[Fluffy romance-ish] Some secrets would best be told, if it weren't for the sting of fear that keeps them hidden. Yet with a bit of liquid courage, who knows what would come to light, and if it isn't for the better?

  • ...
3
 3
 1,419

Revelation

"To Twilight!" shouted five ponies in unison. Six bottles collided, then turning to release their contents down thirsty ponies' throats. Soon they would be put onto the small pile already standing besides the table and be known by none other. Perhaps there were already too many of them stacked, Twilight thought. Then again, on a night like that one, she should be allowed to break the usual boundaries. Now that her friends were all assembled in talking, laughing, and drinking, it was too late for anything else either way.

It had started with more innocence. Knowing that her day was coming up, she had asked Pinkie Pie to co-organise something on that evening. Nothing big of course, she was already out of the age for that. Probably not even a party, just a small meeting between friends. It was pure coincidence that there also were cake, the odd present or two, and lots of hard cider, though it certainly was convenient. Ponies said that social codes and constraints were not pillars of structure, but oppressors. Alcohol, by that logic, was the great equaliser. Perhaps that was true; She had not expected Fluttershy ever to recount the watermelon incident from summer flight camp, not to mention the level of detail she was letting on. Though a clear red smudge across multiple points in her face hinted at the amount she had already drunk, her memory seemed unimpaired.

With some effort, Twilight managed to recall the time when everypony had arrived. They had cared a lot more about their appearances and sentences, unlike now. There had also been less clutter around the library, everything being in its set, immaculate order. It had not taken them long to break it. Then again, she was fairly certain that the sun had still been up when she had opened the door to welcome the others inside. Perhaps a sense of time was amongst the imperfections stripped away by alcohol's purifying influence. If it wasn't, then everyone would have had to have noticed how late they already were to return home. Alternatively, perhaps they knew but chose to stay with everypony else, for Twilight.

She chased the thought out of her mind, not a hard task considering the effort that had been required to hold it. She appreciated everything her friends did for her, but she always had to repress the notion to refuse their efforts. Instead of being a burden to them, she would rather have nothing at all happen. She had spent her time in Ponyville well, discovering the lessons Princess Celestia had secretly laid out for her. Though it could also have been the reason why she had been sent there in the first place. Within the serene haze that was Twilight's memory, cause and effect blended together until either was both. She could not care much for the loss, either.

A bang tore Twilight out of her thoughts. While she had been pondering the significance of life, Fluttershy had been overtaken by sleep and only narrowly avoided direct contact between her face and the table's edge. "Don't worry, she's fine," said Rarity, bending over her as the others rushed in. "I think this is about the time that we all listen to reason, if Twilight agrees." Following the obvious nod from Twilight, Rarity lowered her head and voice to a whisper. Either she hoped to achieve some secrecy, or she didn't wish to startle Fluttershy who was on the border of consciousness. "You've just had a bit too much for yourself. Let's get you home."

Watching Fluttershy be guided outside, Applejack said, "S'ppose it's for the better. You need help cleanin' up?"

"No, it's fine, I'll do it myself tomorrow." Surveying the damage, Twilight figured she could at least stack everything together for the next morning.

As she removed the last bottle, Rainbow Dash awoke back into reality. "Hey, I was using that!"

"Come along, sweetheart. You can crash at my place t'night." Ignoring Rainbow Dash's mumbled objections, Applejack heaved Dash onto her back. "Sleep well, Twilight," she then said before closing the door Rarity had left open.

"I will. Probably should get on that." Walking upstairs, she noticed one more pony sitting on the second floor's balcony. As only the moon illuminated the scene, it was pure luck she even saw her. Perhaps another pony, a more superstitious one, would have attributed it to fate. "Hey Pinkie Pie," she said, stepping into the chilling darkness herself. "Admiring the flowers?"

"Yeah, I guess," replied Pinkie. "You've really got a collection here. Some things I didn't even know they existed. Still you have all of them here... except the one you wear around your neck. What is that, anyway?"

"A piece of voidstone." Twilight held the pendant up with a hoof, not confident enough to use magic. Somehow, it blended in with the natural crepuscule better than expected, disappearing unless focused. "She said it's really rare, at least in this land. Serves to remember her." Twilight took a deep breath. As cool as the air was, it felt purer than crystal water. For a moment, she was mesmerised as she looked upwards; She was caught by the stars' beauty, constant yet ever shifting as the night itself. "I should come out here more often, for the plants as well as the sky."

With the most delicate of touches, Pinkie reached out for one of the flowers' petals. They shimmered with a thousand colours in the moonlight, even more so after the touch. "They are all so beautiful." After a moment filled only by chirring in the bushes, she murmured, "Like you."

"Excuse me?" As Twilight approached to hear her better, Pinkie retreated. "Care to repeat that?"

"I... I think you're the prettiest mare I've ever met and I can't imagine anyone I'd rather spend my time with than you." Despite Twilight's attempts to get a hold of her, Pinkie fled inside, the moon's glint reflecting in her eyes as she slid past. "At least now we can stop seeing each other. Stop the pain."

"Pinkie, it's... so do I." With a daring leap, Twilight closed the distance between them. This time, she didn't waste a moment before claiming the kiss they were due. Both of them were stained by the bitter cider, yet there was also an undeniable sweetness, the taste of newborn hope. "Why didn't we ask sooner," Twilight whispered before diving in for the second. Everything vile was gone, leaving behind only the flavour of their bond.

"I was afraid. See how much it took. But still –" Pinkie sighed "– we're both too drunk to remember this in the morning. It's all a waste." She climbed out from underneath Twilight and headed for the stairs.

"We will figure it out, I know it." Pinkie paused as Twilight called after her. "We won't let this disappear, not as long as it's still burning in our hearts. For now, it's just a secret, hidden from everypony until we're ready."

Pinkie looked back, wiping her eyes. "It is. Good night, Twilight, and happy birthday again." Without waiting for a response, she ran down the stairs, devoured by darkness after the first few steps.

"Indeed it is." Twilight pulled forth paper and quill. It was far too late already, but there was no excuse to delay. "Dear sober Twilight," she wrote before stopping again and turning away. As she went further up, a tiny flame welled up and consumed the paper. It was a secret.

Comments ( 3 )

i.chzbgr.com/maxW500/6380974080/h524F21EB/

now that we have that out of the way

made by alcohol discussion alcohol and a bit incoherent with undertones of a deeper story, i can see why its called truth

"Alcohol The cause of, and solution to, all of life's problems."

I'm the biggest fan of TwiPie, and I must say, this was cute. On the whole, your writing and descriptions were great, and I saw little real errors. I like how there's a sense of realism in this; that it's not always rainbows and sunshine. They're drunk, and that adds to the eventual conflict of when they remember (are reminded?) of the previous night in some form or other.

However, there are some things that could use improvement. For one, this was really short. I think this one-shot would've done better had it been expanded upon and was fleshed out. Show some more of the emotions and show some more of what's going on. More details and scenes would've been nice. Also, I noticed that you used an awful lot of commas, practically in every sentence. For example:

Knowing that her day was coming up, she had asked Pinkie Pie to co-organise something on that evening. Nothing big of course, she was already out of the age for that. Probably not even a party, just a small meeting between friends. It was pure coincidence that there also were cake, the odd present or two, and lots of hard cider, though it certainly was convenient.

Variety is the spice of life, and it's always a good idea to change up sentence structure so it doesn't become dull. Your writing and word choice was pretty good, no complaints there, and I did like when Pinkie had slipped and called Twilight beautiful. That was adorable. Though, I found it a little hard to follow. Try and describe the action a little more, maybe? It seemed weird to me that Pinkie ran inside (drunk) then Twilight turned and with perfect coordination leaped at her and they ended up kissing (drunk as well). I'd imagine both would be a little more shaky, and another note: Why wasn't Pinkie with the others in the beginning? Just staring at the flowers?

Anyway, for what it's worth, this was a cute piece of fluff. It could've been fleshed out more, but it was still a nice read. Have a thumb-up, and I hope you write more Twinkie. :twilightsmile:

3209787 Agreed on all counts. Considering the amount of effort that did (or didn't) go into this, I'd say it turned out pretty good.

Also, drunk accents and their like have been omitted for reading pleasure. The point I was trying (but, in hindsight, failing) to make was that Pinkie snuck off when everyone was busy with the events downstairs, such as to get Twilight in an opportune location.
And yes, they act and speak a bit better than they should be able to if they're drunk enough for a blackout, but it's convenient to use a bit of story logic. In a bigger project, I would probably have respected that.

Funny, either way, that I was consciously trying to avoid certain things during this project, amongst then run-on sentences. (Like that one.) I do see your point though.

Login or register to comment