• Published 9th Sep 2013
  • 2,167 Views, 74 Comments

Rarity's Epic Yarn - Philosophical Tree



Discord's seemingly harmless prank on Rarity transports her to a cloth filled world. With the aid of a small, blue yarn creature, she must get back to Equestria before Yin-Yarn can make his triumphant return.

  • ...
2
 74
 2,167

A Web of Lies

*BGM*

“This had better be important, Discord,” Celestia grumbled. “We were preparing for the arrival of the emissaries from Taurkey, and they will be most upset if we are not there to greet them when they arrive.”

Celestia and Luna, both feeling rather annoyed with the reformed draconequus, were sitting across from him in the Golden Oaks Library, Twilight by their side. Discord frowned at the rudeness of the princesses, but shrugged it off and began his tale. As he wove on, the princesses’ attitudes changed visibly, going from irritation to shock.

“And he’s already at work. Why, Lyra, that sweet, deluded, hand-obsessed thing has already been transformed, soon to be completely replaced by his handiwork. So, we have to act now, and begin to make things right. If we don’t, all of Equestria will fall beneath him.” Discord slumped back, conjuring some water out of the air and taking a long gulp. Celestia and Luna watched him, slack-jawed.

“So what you’re telling me is you created a monster and accidentally unleashed it upon Equestria?” Celestia said, finally regaining her voice. Discord nodded.

“Yes, I do believe that’s the whole of it. Deeply sorry, too. Never meant for him to get here at all.” Luna groaned and planted her face in her hoof.

“Discord, you never cease to make me regret my sister’s decision to let you roam free,” she said, her voice blank with hidden rage. “So tell me, how do we beat this thing?” Discord shrugged.

“Couldn’t tell you if I wanted. To be honest, I don’t know how that little pink puffball managed to do it in the first place. On top of that, I have no idea of the limitations of his power. I fear that at some point during his existence, he may have surpassed me. I don’t know, but it is a theory.” Discord strode over to the window, gazing out at Ponyville. As his eyes travelled over the landscape, he noticed objects made from yarn in increasing numbers. He sighed, turning back to the princesses. “I assume you have a plan?” Luna and Celestia nodded.

“Simple,” said Celestia. “We use the Elements. We’ll lure Yin-Yarn out into the open and unleash the full force of the Elements on him. Should be enough to bring him down.” The two princesses headed for the door, suddenly in a hurry. “Now, if you’ll excuse us, we have to return to Canterlot. The embassy from Taurkey will be arriving soon, and we must be there. Twilight, Discord, I trust that you two will do everything in your power to stop Yin-Yarn. As soon as we can, we will aid you in this.” Twilight and Discord waved farewell as the princesses stepped out the door and took off into the sky, heading for Canterlot. Twilight turned to Discord.

“How bad is it out there?” she asked. Discord sighed and shook his head.

“Not good. He’s moving quickly, but trying to keep it subtle. Frankly, he’s doing a decent job of it too. Please tell me you have the Elements on hand?” Twilight nodded, turning to the bookcase. She lifted a book off, levitating it towards Discord.

“Of course I do. Ever since you came and caused chaos, I’ve kept them close b- Sweet Celestia!” She cried out in fear as she opened the book and six felt Elements of Harmony fell out of it. Discord’s eyes went wide.

“Well... that’s unfortunate.” He mused as Twilight bent down, scooping up the Elements and crying softly.

“These were our greatest weapons, our last line of defense against evil. Now what are we gonna do?” Discord threw his arms up, groaning.

“How am I supposed to know? Maybe we can use that lovey dovey nonsense your brother and his wife used on old Queen Chryssi?”

“That’s not gonna work. Come on, we have to go find the others. Maybe we can formulate a plan.” Twilight said, dashing out the door. Discord sighed and followed, albeit at a much more leisurely pace.

__________

“Well, that’s a major setback.”

Twilight glared at Rainbow Dash, rolling her eyes at the obvious comment. “Well, yes, Rainbow, that is a setback. And now, we need to figure out how we’re going to combat this threat. Any ideas?” The other four ponies around her pondered for a moment, scratching their heads.

“Well... do we even know where he is?” Fluttershy asked. Discord, who had been sitting on the outside of the group, shook his head.

“Unfortunately, no. His magic is so vastly different from that of this world, so you’d figure we’d be able to find him with ease. Somehow, though, he seems to be able to cloak his movements and actions, so we really only know he’s still here in Ponyville.” He shrugged. “It’s been such a long time since I’ve been this confounded by my own creation.”

“So what’s the plan?” Applejack chimed in. “Ah mean, we’ve gotta do somethin’ to stop him, or all of Ponyville’ll be turned to yarn.” Twilight pondered.

“Well, the simplest course of action will be to spread out and keep an eye on the town. Any mysterious activity and we jump at it. We need to find him and stop him.” The other ponies nodded. “If I can get at him, I might be able to cancel his magic out, thus rendering him harmless until we can figure out how to undo his spells.”

The group stood, nodding and cheering at the plan. Discord watched them, sighing inwardly. It was a good plan, but something made him very uneasy. He stood.

“Well, since you are down a single Element, I shall aid you in Rarity’s stead.” He said, striking a heroic pose. Applejack growled at him.

“None of this woulda happened if ya’ll hadn’t decided to play a prank on her!” She snarled, causing Discord to cringe in fright. Fluttershy stepped between the two.

“Now, Applejack,” the pegasus cooed soothingly. “How could he have possibly foreseen this happening? I may not agree with what he did, but I know that he had no intention of actually bringing Yin-Yarn here at all. Isn’t that right, Discord?” Discord smiled gratefully at her.

“Indeed, thank you, Fluttershy. At least somepony here believes that I wouldn’t bring Yin-Yarn here intentionally.” Discord shot a glare at Applejack, who returned it with a snort of anger.

“Whatever,” Twilight interjected, trying to defuse the situation. “Let’s get going. Yin-Yarn’s not going to stop while we bicker.”

__________

Discord sighed and leaned against a yarn tree, rubbing his eyes. So far, he had found nothing that would point him in the direction of his rampant creation, and he assumed that the others had the same luck, considering he’d heard nothing from them for the last hour. Just when he was resolved to give up, a voice called to him from a nearby yarn bush.

“So, Dissy, everyone’s out looking for me, eh?” Discord’s eyes snapped to the bush, and he readied a spell, waiting for the source of the voice to emerge. It never did. Standing, the draconequus strode over to the bush, glancing behind it. There, in all his cloth-like glory, was the sorcerer. He smiled at Discord and waved him down. Discord knelt behind the bush.

“So, Yin-Yarn, what’s stopping me from ending you right now? You know that’s what I’m trying to do.” Yin-Yarn snickered, clicking his knitting needles together as he wove a cupcake into existence.

“But you haven’t, so what does that say? You’re curious. You want to know how, what, and why.” Discord frowned, musing over those words.

“You’re not wrong, but still. I have a job to do, and you’re on my hit list. Sorry, but you’ve gotta go.” Discord pulled his claw back, readying a spell. But as he made a move to cast it, Yin-Yarn flicked a needle. Strands of yarn flew from every direction and wrapped Discord tightly, constricting all movement. Discord grunted against the bonds, trying to teleport, but to no avail.

“You were right to be cautious of me, Dissy. My time trapped in the endless void of space was spent musing over my powers and discovering many, many new things. You made me too well, and now, I’ve surpassed you. I’ll soon have this whole world trapped in my threads, and when that happens, the princesses will all fall before me. I will create a beautiful, new world, one that will rival Patch Star. And speaking of which,” The sorcerer produced a woolen sock that radiated magic. “Once I conquer this world, I’m going back. Back to Patch Star, back to Dream Land, with a new, more powerful army. And you, Dissy, will be at the vanguard.”

Discord felt an odd tugging sensation in his paw, like part of his skin was being peeled off. He tried to fight it, but to no avail. As soon as the sensation ended, the ropes fell from Discord’s body, freeing him. He shook himself off, turning his attention to his paw. Nothing seemed out of the ordinary until he looked at his palm. The brown patch of skin on the inside on his paw was now made of cloth, almost unnoticeable, but only almost. Discord’s eyes went wide with fear, and he turned to find Yin-Yarn, only to discover the sorcerer had fled. The only thing left was the cloth cupcake.

Discord turned his attention back to his paw, trying to remove the curse cast upon him. Nothing he did seemed to work. The small patch of cloth just sat there, unmoved, taunting him. He frowned and began biting his claws, hurriedly thinking of anything he could do to get it off.

“Oh, Discord!” The draconequus leapt out of his skin as Fluttershy flew up to him. Landing back inside it, he turned around, wearing his best fake smile.

“Oh, my dear Fluttershy,” He said, trying to sound sincere. “Have you had any luck?” Fluttershy frowned and shook her head.

“No, it’s just awful. I just talked to Rainbow and Twilight, and they haven’t been able to find Yin-Yarn either. What about you? Why are you hiding behind a bush?” Discord shrugged.

“I’m not hiding, I thought I saw something back here. I must have missed him, cause all I found was this cupcake.” He held up the cupcake Yin-Yarn had woven with his claw, trying to keep his paw out of sight. Fluttershy sighed.

“Oh well. Let’s go find the others. We’re not getting anywhere with this. Maybe Twilight will have another plan, or a spell, or something.” Fluttershy turned and began to fly down the path, Discord shuffling along behind her, his eyes fixated on his paw.

‘What did I create? And what did I just unleash?’

Author's Note:

Sorry about the long wait. Life has been very cruel to me, so I haven't had a lot of time to write lately. I'll try to be more regular in my updates from now on.

Comments ( 13 )

I'm just surprised Discord didn't summon the Puffball.

Well durn, how'll they get out of this?

4960022 Kirby's too busy beating the crap out of Shulk and Megaman to deal with Equestria's problems :trollestia:

4960465 There really needs to be a face emote on this site you know that?

Given that he detaches body parts all the time, I'm surprised Discord hasn't tried removing his paw.

4960465 ...Discord could join the brawl?

poor discord he created a monster. anyway i know in furder chapter sooner and later everypony goioing be in yard world like discord be barinwash, man6 (minue rarity) be in contuol and fanalley the princesses to be puppet from yin-yarn also sorry to spolilor the story:fluttercry:

Dang, this chapter is a little unsettling, but its exiting as well. :rainbowdetermined2:

4961832 Well...I think that Pichu IS in the brawl...

He just evolved.

I mean, the Pikachu family can only learn Volt Tackle in the Pichu stage, the blue-goggles costume was originally Pichu's but was given to Pikachu in brawl, and Pikachu can use the Wall-jump that Pichu had in Melee.

4963241
Indeed.
I've thought that for a while now.

So… Why is this cancelled? Is there some kind of issue that prevents you from updating this story any further? It has been 6 years since your last update. I’m sure everyone who’s been reading this is waiting for you to continue. Are you going to make that happen?

Login or register to comment