• Published 9th Sep 2013
  • 2,167 Views, 74 Comments

Rarity's Epic Yarn - Philosophical Tree



Discord's seemingly harmless prank on Rarity transports her to a cloth filled world. With the aid of a small, blue yarn creature, she must get back to Equestria before Yin-Yarn can make his triumphant return.

  • ...
2
 74
 2,167

Whip It Good

*Some BGM, if you want it.*


“So, Grass Land?” Fluff nodded in response to Rarity’s inquiry. “Can you tell me anything about it?”

“There’s not a whole lot to say. Grass Land is the most peaceful place on Patch Star. At one time, a wicked dragon name Fangora lived there, but he was defeated. Now... I doubt we’ll actually find the sock there, but I suppose it couldn’t hurt to check. Plus, if you want to get a good look at Patch Star, this is the perfect place to start.”

Rarity tilted her head slightly as they passed by a small sign, pointing them in the direction of Grass Land. As much as she wanted to take a look around, something was clawing at her heart. She didn’t know what it was, but she felt like something was wrong. She voiced her concerns to Fluff, who shook it off.

“Look, I don’t know what’s bugging you, but I can assure you that Patch Star is incredibly peaceful. The only danger here would be some of the natural predators. Luckily, most of them are easy enough to bring down.” Although not quite reassured, Rarity felt a little better. Something was still bugging her, but she chose not to worry about it. The pair continued down the short path that wound down from Patch Castle into Grass Land. It didn’t take them long to find the large, peaceful field.

Rarity’s worry faded completely as she laid her eyes on Grass Land. A mass of cloth lay before her, flowing in a gentle wind. In the distance, she could see a massive beanstalk and a beautiful series of waterfalls, each one flowing down and creating it’s own rainbow. Closer to her, she could see a series of castle walls and a seemingly endless sea of flowers. She was so absorbed by the sheer beauty of the world that she didn’t notice that Fluff had left her behind. The yarn prince had to call out to her to bring her back to reality.

“Hey! You coming or what?” Rarity blinked, then trotted to catch up, grinning sheepishly. Fluff chuckled. “I knew you were enamored with this place, but sheesh. Just wait until we figure out whether or not you can transform.” Rarity paused in her tracks, staring at Fluff.

“Wait... transform?” Fluff nodded, heading towards the castle walls.

“Yep. You said your magic doesn’t seem to be working, right? Well, it may have been transferred into something else. Follow me and I’ll show you what I mean.” Fluff led her down the path towards the castle walls, his eyes scanning the trees around them. Rarity watched him curiously, until he smiled and pointed with his arm.

“Right there. See that button?” Rarity’s eyes followed his arm, alighting on a small, red button. “I want you to pull that.” Rarity nodded and began to walk over to the button, but Fluff stopped her. “No, not with your hooves. I want to see if you have a yarn whip.” Rarity paused.

“A yarn what?” she asked, confused. Fluff smiled knowingly.

“Your magic, here in this world, should have been transferred into what we call a yarn whip.” He slapped his arm out, and to Rarity’s shock, it unravelled, winding a decent length before stopping at a small, glowing light. “We use this to accomplish a great many things. Not everything in Patch Star has this ability, so I want to see if you do. It’s not too hard to learn, either. And once you learn this, you’ll be able to transform.”

Giving Rarity a nod, he allowed the unicorn to step forward, facing the button. “Now, here’s how you do it. Focus on whatever it was that channeled your magic before. My guess is that horn there. Focus on channeling your magic through it, but instead of casting a spell, let the magic just flow in. It’ll do the rest.”

Rarity closed her eyes, following Fluff’s instructions. She felt her magic - which she thought had left her - rush back into her horn. But instead of casting a spell, she felt an odd sensation from her horn. Almost as if she had been given another hoof. She opened her eyes to see a long strand of white yarn hanging in front of her face, a small glowing light hanging from the tip. She turned to face Fluff, who was smiling at her.

“Excellent. It kinda feels like there’s another limb there, right?” Rarity nodded. “Good. Give it a few practice flicks, then grab onto that button and give it a pull.” He watched as she swung the whip around, testing the balance and finesse of her new tool. Once she felt satisfied, she turned to the button and threw the whip at it. The glowing tip latched on, and after a quick test, Rarity gave it a tug. The button slipped loose of its stitching, and it tugged the world along with it. Folding and wrinkling up, Rarity watched as her simple action changed the very being of the landscape around her, opening up a new path in one of the castle walls.

“What... how did I do that?” Fluff didn’t answer. Rarity wondered why until a small, blue vehicle rushed passed her through the new gap. The vehicle called out to her as it passed.

“Come on! The gap will close soon!” Rarity, realizing what it had implied, charged after him. She felt herself running for but a moment, then her body began to morph. She felt a set of wheels hit the ground below her, still being powered by her muscle movement. Her equine form began to shift and slender down to a more suitable, stylish body that slid over the wheels, fitting to them like a glove. As the shifting and morphing came to a finish, Rarity felt herself rocket forward, passing through the gap just as it was beginning to close.

She saw Fluff waiting for her on the other side, so she tried to slow herself to a halt. As she did, her body began to morph again, reverting back to her original pony shape. She slowed to a gentle trot, coming to a stop next to her small companion. He was watching her, somewhat stunned.

“Well, I guess I should have seen that coming. Your form looks a lot more... sleek than mine does.” His stunned expression quickly changed into a smile. “But I was right. You can transform.” Rarity paused, turning to look back at the wall behind her. It had sealed shut, but she realized that something had allowed her to get through. Her magic had turned her yarn body into a vehicle, allowing her to pass through with ease. Her eyes went wide.

“I may have lost my ability to cast spells,” she muttered, the truth dawning on her. “But it seems this new world has a brand new set of abilities to help me through.” She turned to Fluff, who was clapping slowly. “I’m right, aren’t I?” Fluff gave her a nod.

“Exactly. Now remember, there are other abilities at your disposal. When you swim, and depending on how quickly you want to descend, your body will react in those instances as well. Also, there may be other times, under special circumstances, where you’ll transform into something a lot more complex.” He paused, turning his gaze to the waterfalls in the distance. “Try and keep up. I’ll show you what I mean. Plus, this’ll lead us through Flower Fields. It’s always good to check another area.” With that, Fluff transformed back into a vehicle and took off towards the waterfalls. Rarity’s face lit up, and she followed, trying to catch up to him.

She finally caught up to him in the location he dubbed “Flower Fields.” Rarity was awestruck by the beauty of the area, but only had so much time to take it all in. All she could see were flowers. Flowers on the ground, flowers in the air, big and small and all manner of colors. Awestruck by the magic infused into the world, Rarity didn’t notice a wall in front of her until she hit it. Bouncing off, the magic in her body reverted her back to her original form. She glanced around, rubbing he head.

“Oh dear... how am I supposed to get up there?” Fluff, who was apparently not as far ahead as she had imagined, peeked over the top edge of the cliff and called to her.

“Small button, straight up! Jump and swing up here!” Rarity looked up and saw the small button he was referring to. She paused, unsure.

“Won’t it come undone like the other one?” There was no answer. She called out again. “Fluff! Won’t the button come undone?” Still no response. Groaning in annoyance, she brought her yarn whip out, leapt into the air, and swung her whip at the button. As it latched on, her body morphed again, rounding out and turning into a balanced circle. She gave herself a test swing, shifting her weight back and forth. The button began to swing along with her as the small weight became a pendulum, but didn’t give. Now thoroughly reassured that Fluff knew what he was talking about, she leapt forward towards the cliff, feeling herself transform again as the whip left the button.

She landed gracefully on the cliff, looking around for Fluff. He was just ahead on the path, walking slowly and admiring the scenery. It was then that a sinister idea crossed her mind, and she grinned wickedly.

Fluff turned at the sound of a horn beeping, and barely had time to dive out of the way as Rarity came racing past. With a laugh, he took off after her, struggling to keep up. The two made their way through Flower Field and eventually, after much competitive driving, arrived at the falls. By the time the two came to a stop, they were both panting, but laughing all the while.

“Good grief, I never woulda taken you for a racer.” Fluff panted. Rarity waved a hoof at him.

“Well, a lady such as myself does have to indulge in a bit of fun every now and then.” Rarity replied, turning to the falls. “Oh my. I daresay, this place is quite lovely. Reminds me of the Winsome Falls.” Fluff took the lead, walking up the path.

“These are the Rainbow Falls. And it’s here that we’ll be able to find out just how far your transformation powers can go. Come on.” The two began the climb up the falls, wading through the streams of yarn. Rarity noted that, although the water was made of yarn, it still felt wet to the touch. To her, it was strange how real the world felt, and yet how different it looked.

As they ascended further up the mountain, Rarity began to see creatures along the different pathways. The heads of alligators stuck up from the river, maws wide and waiting. They nearly bumped into one, and it snapped its jaws shut in a feeble attempt to get some food. Fluff extended his yarn whip and flung it at the creature. It latched on and he began to spin, rolling the gator up into a ball of yarn. Rarity watched, dumbfounded.

“Yep, that’s how we deal with threats in patch land. Considering that everything is made of yarn, some of the creatures can be easily dealt with. Of course, they are sentient and alive, but most of them are predatory creatures and would gladly do you harm. Take, for instance, that little guy up there.” He nodded at a small, brown creature a bit ahead on the path, a small spike protruding from its head. “If we get close, he’ll charge at us and try to hurt us. So, I’ll just do this.” He took the yarn ball and gave it a good throw, watching as it hurtled towards the brown creature. As the two collided and exploded in a puff of yarn, Rarity noticed small things glinting in the light.

“What... what came out of them? Just now, those small, glittery things?” Fluff gestured for her to follow. The two strode up to where the two beings had been defeated to find small, glittering beads lying on the ground. Rarity’s eyes lit up.

“These are beads. They’re the currency of our world. Collect as many as you can, if you want.” Fluff watched as Rarity scooped up the beads, tucking them away. “You... really like those things, don’t you? And how did you do that?” Rarity gave him a quick smile.

“I have an... affection for gems of any nature. I use them in many of my designs, and seeing as they are so plentiful here,” she turned her eyes upwards, noting the beads floating in midair above her. “Well, I think I’ve got some hunting to do, and not just for a magic sock. And do what, dear?” Fluff shook his head.

“Never mind. Come on, we’re almost there.” Once again, the two set off down the path, albeit a bit slower as Rarity kept her eyes ever open for new gems. After some walking and climbing, the two finally arrived at the summit. Over the stream that led to the largest and most diverse of all the falls, a small, yellow piece of cloth was hovering. Fluff walked over and gave the cloth a pull, via a small red tab on the side. The cloth fell away to reveal a small, hovering mass of yarn, with a picture of a surfboard in the center. Rarity watched it with apprehensive curiosity.

“And what, pray tell, will that do?” Fluff didn’t respond, but instead gave her a wicked grin and slowly began reaching for the sphere. Rarity began to grow worried. “No, seriously, what is that going to do to me?” Fluff’s grin widened, and his reach began to increase in speed. Rarity was sweating visibly at this point. “Fluff, please tell me what that’s going to do!”

“Watch.” Fluff said, and he leapt up, colliding with the sphere. Rarity took a moment to register that Fluff wouldn’t have been able to reach it before she felt an unknown force tugging on her. She was pulled, along with Fluff, into the sphere, which began to morph and bend her shape to its will. Rarity felt a little woozy as it worked, but luckily for her, it didn’t last too long.

A moment later, a surfboard splashed down into the water, a multicolored, rotund penguin astride it. Rarity took a moment to look herself over. Her eyes welled up with tears.

“Oh, I knew it was going to be just awful!” Fluff, who had taken the form of a small round bird, watched her from his perch on her shoulder.

“What do you mean? You’re a surfboarding penguin!” Rarity turned to look at him, tears, streaming from her eyes.

“That sphere... it made me FAT!” She managed to get out before breaking down completely. “Oh, I knew it! I knew I should have cut back on all the sweets! But their just so good!” Fluff rolled his eyes.

“It’s only temporary, and it will only wear off if we get to the bottom of the cliff. Now come o-” Fluff cried out and had to hang on for dear life as Rarity began to hurtle down the cliff. Apparently, the merest mention of some easy way to lose weight made Rarity more than eager to test out her new form.

The two careened down the waterfall dodging creatures of every nature and flying past scenic vistas at breakneck speeds. Fluff almost fell of more than a few times, but managed to just barely hang on. As the two approached the bottom of the waterfall, a large, thin rod came into view. Fluff had to scream over the rush of the wind and water to be heard.

“Head for that pole! That’s what will change us back!” Rarity nodded, adjusting her angle so that she was now heading straight for the pole. It was at that moment Fluff realized that they might be going just a bit too fast. Hitting the pole at their speed could possibly hurt them. He tried to voice this concern, but it was far too late. By the time he opened his mouth to speak, the pair had slammed headlong into the pole.

To Fluff’s immense relief, the pole carried out it’s noble duty and reverted the pair back to their original forms. Rarity, upon seeing herself whole and no longer overweight, began to giggle and skip about.

“Oh, thank Celestia! Never again, never again!” Fluff, dusting himself off, gave Rarity a skeptical look.

“You know, that kind of behavior can’t happen in this world. You are gonna be shifting forms all the time, and if you can’t handle it, you’re going to be a liability.” He stopped under Rarity’s intense stare.

“I am fine with whatever else comes along. But I will not allow myself to be made into that penguin thing ever again. Do you understand me?” The severity in Rarity’s voice made Fluff cringe slightly, but he rolled his eyes. Rarity turned and began to walk away.

“Just wait until we get to the Tankbot.” He mumbled under his breath.

“What was that, dear?” Rarity turned to face him. Fluff quickly straightened and shook his head.

“Uh, nothing. Come on, we’re almost done.” Fluff dashed off past her, still grumbling about her reaction. Rarity giggled to herself and followed. The pair, now on the other side of the falls, had reached the large beanstalk. Fluff gazed up, muttering to himself.

“What is it, Fluff?” Rarity asked, coming to stand alongside him. Fluff didn’t respond for a minute, still muttering. Once he stopped, he turned to Rarity.

“I’m debating whether or not to climb the vine. All that’s at the top is Fangora’s old lair. You know, the dragon? I’d rather not climb it, mostly cause I feel it will be a waste of time.” He tapped his mouth in thought. “Unless you really wanna go up there. It’s a long way, but I’m willing to make the climb if you want.” Rarity gazed up the vine and shook her head.

“As lovely as that seems, if the effort would be worthless, then why waste the energy?” She gestured on down the path. “If you feel that the chances of finding the missing sock grow as we travel further on, what are we still doing here?” Fluff smiled, nodding at her.

“Alright. Next stop, Hot Land!” Fluff didn’t strike a dramatic pose this time, but he still cried out with authority. Rarity burst into laughter. Fluff sighed. “Even when I’m not trying to be dramatic, you still can’t be authoritative with these names. Alright... let’s go.” They continued down the path, talking between themselves.

High up the beanstalk, unknown to the pair on the road down below, something stirred. A crumpled mass of yarn and buttons began to rumble and shift. Soon, the shifting turned to true movement, the materials twisting and flowing into a single, solid mass. As the mass began to take shape, a roar built in its throat. That roar echoed out across Grass Land, petrifying the inhabitants. They knew who it was. And they knew what it meant.

Fangora had risen again.