• Published 9th Sep 2013
  • 2,167 Views, 74 Comments

Rarity's Epic Yarn - Philosophical Tree



Discord's seemingly harmless prank on Rarity transports her to a cloth filled world. With the aid of a small, blue yarn creature, she must get back to Equestria before Yin-Yarn can make his triumphant return.

  • ...
2
 74
 2,167

A Wonky Hole in the Fabric of Space and Time

*BGM*

"You know, I never thought I’d say this... but I miss Rarity.”

Discord, still watching paint dry after three hours of nothingness, yawned and stretched, rising off the couch. He strode over to the wall, snapping his fingers and flipping through various colors and patterns. “It’s quite dull without her around. I need someone to pester right now, and everyone else is so... mundane.” He mulled, finally settling on a vivid neon green. Turning to the door, he was about to leave when there came a knock. A voice called out from the other side.

“Rarity! Are you alright?” It was Twilight Sparkle, and to Discord’s displeasure, she opened the door and strode inside. “You didn’t show up for lunch, so I was- Oh! Hello Discord.” She gave him a warm, sincere smile. “Have you seen Rarity? I’m getting a little worried.” Discord smirked.

“Yeah, I’ve seen her. She’s about, hmm, this tall with a gaudy purple mane and tail?” He began to mime it all out, creating an outline of Rarity in thin air. Twilight frowned, no longer amused.

“Discord,” she scolded. “This is no time for games. I need to know where she is...” She paused, realization flowing into her mind. She shot a glare at Discord. “What did you do to her this time?” Discord laid a claw upon his chest, his face the picture of shocked indignation.

“Moi? How dare you accuse me of doing something to her...” He watched Twilight’s eyes the whole time he spoke. They never wavered. Sighing, he slumped his shoulders. “I’m not going to slink around this one, am I?” Twilight shook her head.

“Not at all. Discord, you’re supposed to be reformed.” She fluffed her wings gently, a stern look in her eye. “This kind of behavior is unacceptable. What did you do to her?” Discord shrugged.

“Eh, I sent her to another dimension.” He said, his voice nonchalant. Twilight stared at him in aghast horror and fascination.

“Wh-what!? How!? Where!? Why!?” She sputtered out. Discord held a finger to her lips, shushing her gently.

“You forgot who and when, so let me explain: Rarity, teleported to a different dimension, Patch Star, a little over three hours ago, because I wanted to, and I’m Discord. I ain’t gotta explain anything to you. Plus, I did a lot of dimension hopping in my thousand years trapped in stone. How do you think I kept sane?” Twilight didn’t respond. She just sat there with her mouth agape. Discord watched her for a while before growing genuinely concerned. “I didn’t break you, did I? Come now, give me something?” He waved a hand in front of her eyes, and she shook herself, resuming her glare at the draconequus.

“Alright... next question. Bring her back,” her voice was threatening and low. Discord gave her a look.

“That’s... not a question,” he said, hesitant. Twilight’s eye twitched, and she lit her horn up.

“That’s because in this case, I don’t do requests. Now bring her back, or so help me Celestia, I will not be held responsible for what I do here.” Discord threw his hands up defensively.

“Woah, woah, no can do, dearie. It’s just not that easy. I can’t just bring her back, you see.” Twilight’s eye twitched again, but she cancelled the spell she was channeling and lowered her head, eyeing Discord with a severe hatred.

“Explain yourself.” She muttered. Discord gestured to the door.

“Walk with me, and I’ll tell you what I can.” Twilight sighed and followed him as her left the boutique and strolled out into Ponyville. The draconequus smiled and breathed deeply, taking in the fresh air. “Alright, so I can’t bring her back because my magic is kinda twisted there. Plus... well, let’s just say that world and I have a bad history with each other.” Twilight groaned.

“Discord, what on Equestria did you do? And how did you even manage to dimension hop while trapped in stone?” Discord shrugged, a single pony suddenly catching his eye.

“In answer to the second question, chaos always has a way of getting things done. I don’t fully understand it myself, but my mind was still free to roam, even if my body wasn’t there. I mean, who do you think let Cerberus out?” Twilight’s eyes went wide and she glared at him in fury. Discord waved a claw and continued, still watching the pony. Something seemed off to him. “And as for the first... say, does that pony look off to you?” He pointed at the pony in question. Twilight turned to look.

“She’s hollow... I can see right through her...” Twilight’s glare once again leveled on Discord. “This was your doing, I just know it!” Discord shook his head, frowning in thought.

“No, this wasn’t me,” he answered, musing over the situation at hand. “Although, I think I know who did. Only problem is... the guy who did it, he’s dead. Got the snot beaten out of him by a pair of yarn puffballs. So this... doesn’t make any sense.” Discord’s eyes went wide. “Oh... well that’s not good.” Twilight turned her attention back to the hollow pony, who was now walking towards them. The alicorn recognized the pony as Lyra Heartstrings, who greeted her with a warm smile.

“Good morning Twilight, Discord!” she cried happily. “Wonderful day, isn’t it?” Twilight gave her a hesitant nod, and Lyra paused, giving her an odd look. “Everypony’s been doing that all day, giving me weird looks and talking to me funny. What’s going on with you?” Twilight shook her head. It was hard for her to believe, but the Lyra before her wasn’t flesh and blood, but hollow and outlined by yarn. It defied all logic.

“It’s nothing, Lyra,” Twilight replied, smiling at her. “It’s been nice seeing you, though, but I need to have a chat with this guy.” She tilted her head in the direction of Discord, who was miming numbers in the air, which was becoming tangible and forming text in front of him. Lyra nodded.

“Been up to shenanigans and stuff? I got it. You have a good one, Twilight!” Lyra gave her a chipper wave and trotted off, smiling all the while. Twilight waved and watched until Lyra was out of earshot, then turned to glare at Discord again.

“You. Come with me. NOW.” Twilight didn’t even wait for a response, instead opting to grab Discord with her magic and drag him along, the letters he was creating falling to the ground as he was pulled forcefully to the library. “You had better have a very good explanation as for why Lyra was hollow and made of yarn.”

Discord sighed and nodded his head as Twilight pulled him along, his mind racing with theories and worries. “Yes, I do. But you are most certainly not going to like it. Let’s get inside, we need to formulate a plan very quickly. Otherwise...” Discord trailed off. Twilight had rarely seen him so serious. She knew something was wrong.

After a few minutes of dragging Discord around the pair arrived at the Golden Oaks Library, and Twilight, after pulling Discord inside, slammed the door shut and glared at him.

“What could you have possibly done that’s making you so upset?” She asked. Discord didn’t answer her immediately, instead opting to walk over to the nearest window and stare out at Ponyville. He sighed for a moment, then turned to her.

“Remember how I said that I’ve dimension hopped and know the realm where I sent her?” Twilight gave a nod, and he continued. “Well, back when I was still huge on the whole ‘drown the world in chaos’ phase, I happened upon that cute little world and found that there was really no chaos or anything out of the ordinary at all. So... I made one.” Twilight groaned and planted her face into her hoof.

“It figures that you would do something like that. What happened?” Discord waved his paw and she stopped, allowing him to continue.

“Well, I created a little something called Yin-Yarn, a clever play on words on my part. He was, in reality, a pair of knitting needles infused with chaos magic, made to tear Patch Land asunder. Unfortunately, I didn’t expect him to follow in my footsteps and break the dimensional barrier, travelling to a different realm. This proved to be his undoing, as he brought a hero from that world to Patch Land. That hero, pairing up with one of the locals, defeated Yin-Yarn.

“This is where my theories get a little sketchy. I only know so much, but what I guess is that Yin-Yarn, after being flung into space, must have drifted close to the rift in the dimensional barrier. When my chaos magic sent Rarity to Patch Land, he must have latched onto it and come here. And that’s why Lyra’s made of yarn. He does that.” Twilight gaped. She couldn’t believe what she had just heard. And yet, somehow, it all made sense.

“So... you think Yin-Yarn is here?” Discord gave Twilight a nod. “And what exactly does that mean for Equestria, exactly.” Discord pointed out the window.

“What happened to Lyra will happen to not just all of Equestria, but the entire planet,” he replied, his voice dark and serious. “If we don’t come up with a plan, we will be in a very, very big heap of trouble. This entire planet will turn to cloth, and all in it will as well, their real, flesh and blood selves being replaced. Now, contact Celestia. We need to come up with a plan.” Twilight gave him a nod.

“Alright, I trust you on this one. But how long do we have? And can the Elements stop him?” Discord turned back to the window.

“Without Rarity, the Elements are useless, so no, they can’t. And how long? Not long enough. His work has already begun...” Twilight, who was now searching for Spike, paused for a moment and turned to look at him. She had never seen Discord so serious before, and it scared her. If the Spirit of Chaos was worried enough to lose his normally cheerful demeanor... Twilight shuddered just thinking about it.

Discord, on the other hand, watched as a second yarn pony trotted out into Ponyville. Yin-Yarn was close, and he knew it. But something held him back. He had no idea as to the limit of his creation’s power, and it frightened him to think he may have created an equal to himself. For the time being, Discord chose to watch and gauge his opponent. If the time came, he’d make his move.

‘I hope that point never comes,’ he mused, his eyes never leaving the yarn pony. ‘I don’t know what would happen if it comes down to me and him.’

__________

Hiding just outside the window, his moustache twitching slightly, Yin-Yarn chuckled to himself.

“Nyah ha ha ha ha! Oh, Dissy, you’re much more dramatic than I remember. And calling on the ones who imprisoned you for help? Obviously you fear me more than you let on... nyah ha ha ha ha! Soon, this world with be pulled apart at the seams!”

Author's Note:

I know it's a little short, but the segments with Discord will get longer as time goes on.