• Published 28th Jun 2013
  • 1,663 Views, 40 Comments

Conversations with Dead Ponies - Scramblers and Shadows



Tonight the dead return to see the living. For one night, from sunset until sunrise, each living pony will be visited by one dead pony. Secrets will be unearthed, and unheard tales from the depths of history to the near past will be revealed.

  • ...
1
 40
 1,663

Pinkie Pie

Pinkie Pie

Pinkie met Pinkie.

She woke Pinkie by singing a ditty about blueberries at an intolerable volume. Pinkie leapt up, saw herself, and gasped. She jumped over to the other Pinkie and stuck a hoof in her mouth.

“Quiet!” she said, loudly. “Pound and Pumpkin are sleeping!” Then: “Oh, hey, you're me!”

The other Pinkie laughed at best she could around Pinkie's hoof and shook her head.

Pinkie removed her hoof and frowned at the other Pinkie, cocking her head at a right angle.

“No, silly!” said the other Pinkie, still laughing. “Nopony can hear us tonight! We can make at much noise as we like! Come see!”

She raced out of the bedroom and downstairs. Pinkie followed.

The nursery was empty. Mr. and Mrs. Cake's bedroom was empty. The bakery was empty. The other Pinkie turned the lights on in each room as they entered, and Pinkie turned the lights off as they left, save for the bakery, where the other Pinkie finally stopped scampering. She sat on the counter, grinning.

“Let's bake!” she said.

“Okay!” said Pinkie. “But why now? It's night time.”

“Are you tired?” asked the other Pinkie.

“No …”

“Well then, why not now?” The other Pinkie rolled her eyes as if it were obvious. “I'm in the mood for butterfly cakes! How about you? Oh, also tonight because I'll vanish in the morning and I wanna get in as much fun before I go.”

“Oh, okay!” said Pinkie, beaming. She dived for the cupboard and pulled out some flour and icing. “What about Mr. and Mrs. and Pound and Pumpkin cake? Can't they join in?”

“Nuhuh,” said the other Pinkie. “They're here, but they're not here. They get their own friends to talk to. Tonight it's just us. It's a shame we can't all meet each other, but them's the rules!”

“Will they meet themselves too?” asked Pinkie. “Or … meet me .. you, too?”

“No. Maybe.” said the other Pinkie. She had a bowl. “Come on, slow-poke, get the spatula!”

Pinkie bought the spatula over. “Butterfly cakes, then?” she said. “Ooh! We can give them to Fluttershy tomorrow!” She frowned. “That's allowed, isn't it? They won't vanish when you do?”

The other Pinkie laughed. “Don't you know?”

Pinkie thought for a moment. “Aha!” she said. “They won't disappear because they're the product of something done after you arrived and not just something you brought with you. Right? Am I right?”

“Yep!”

“Oh no! We can't do that, then!”

The other Pinkie looked crestfallen. “But … why not?”

Pinkie laughed. “Don't you know?”

The other Pinkie thought for a moment. “Aha!” she said. “We can't make just butterfly cakes for Fluttershy because then your other friends might feel left out!”

“Yep!”

“Then we have to make five types of sweets!”

“Six!”

“Oh, yeah. Spike. What sweets are we going to make then?”

The two Pinkies sat symmetrically, rubbing their chins.

“Twilight?”

“Mooncakes! Rainbow Dash?”

“Rainbow cookies! Applejack?”

“Dorset apple cake! Rarity?”

“Pomegranate pavlova! Fluttershy?”

“Butterfly cakes, silly! What about Spike?”

“Ruby cakes!” they said together.

“We can fit all that in if we hurry,” said the other Pinkie, rooting through the cupboards for more bowls.

“Pinkie?” said Pinkie as she worked, “Why do you have to vanish?

“That's what it says in the invisible rulebook,” said the other Pinkie. “I only get to come back for one night.”

“Come back from where?”

“Nowhere.”

“Huh?” said Pinkie

“Eggs, please!” said the other Pinkie.

“Eggs incoming! Catch!”

“Whee!”

Shells cracked, and whites and yolks fell.

“Whisk, please!” said Pinkie.

“Whisk incoming! Catch!”

“Ow!”

“Oops. Sorry!”

“No biggie,” said Pinkie. “What did you mean 'come back from nowhere'?”

“I don't exist,” said the other Pinkie.

“Sure you do. You're right here. Look!” Pinkie dropped the whisk for a moment to hold up a mirror to the other Pinkie. “See? Right here.”

“But not really,” said the other Pinkie. “I'm only here because I'm dead.”

“But you're me, and I'm not dead!”

“I'm not you, Pinkie,” said the other Pinkie. “Not really.” She sounded more subdued. Then, perking up again, she said, “We need pomegranates, pineapples, and apples, stat!”

Pinkie pulled the requested fruits from a cupboard of cooking utensils as they were mentioned.

“But if you're not me,” she said, “then why are you me? I mean, like me? I mean, you're Pinkie, right?”

“Yep.”

“And I'm Pinkie.”

“Yep.”

“And you're not me.”

“Yep.”

“Well …” said Pinkie, rubbing her chin. “Shared names lack the property of transitivity, so that's alright, I guess. But if you're not me, then who are you?”

“Pinkie!”

“No, I mean … Oh!” said Pinkie. “You're mirror-Pinkie! From the Mirror Pool!”

“Yep!” said the other Pinkie. “Could you pre-heat the oven?”

Pinkie didn't. “You're mirror Pinkie,” she said, “and you're dead … and you're here talking to me.”

The other Pinkie stopped working. “I guess I'm not really mirror-Pinkie,” she said, looking down. “Because she doesn't exist any more. I'm just her echo. An echo of an echo of Pinkie Pie, just here for a few hours.”

“Oh.”

The two looked away from one another. Pinkie sniffled and chewed at her bottom lip. The other Pinkie went back to working on the fruit.

No, she couldn't let this happen. She couldn't be sad. There wasn't enough time.

Pinkie shook her head to clear the tears and went for the oven. “Okay!” she said, voice cracking. “Oven on! We need to fit in as much fun as we can before sunrise.”

The other Pinkie looked up from her work. Pinkie glomped her, and the two rolled on the floor. The other Pinkie looked dazed for a moment, then smiled.

“Exactly!” she said, and hugged Pinkie. “Just like a party.”

She stood, and helped Pinkie up. The Pinkies went back to the counter, switching tasks.

“I guess I don't mind too much,” said the other Pinkie. “It's only a few hours, but I get to spend them having fun. And I get to help my friend help her friends...”

“Are you sure?” said Pinkie. “We need to absolutely make sure you enjoy yourself as much as you can.”

The other Pinkie nodded. “I have this moment and I'm enjoying it. That's the best anypony could ask for, in the end.”

“Quality over quantity!” said Pinkie. “I like that because it alliterates. But just ask if there's anything – anything – I can do.”

“Not unless you have a stallion hidden away upstairs,” said the other Pinkie.

“Nuhuh,” said Pinkie. “Just some crayons and a roll of tape. And I bet you'd just find them uncomfortable, 'cause I –”

“Baking will have to do then!” said the other Pinkie. “Don't worry, me. I'm happy, see?” She grinned. “Oven's ready!”

“Yay!” said Pinkie. “Here come the sweets!” She carried a loaded baking tray to the oven.

When it was safely in place, the other Pinkie shut the oven door, and the two hoof-bumped.

“Do you really consider me a friend?” said Pinkie. “Even after …?”

“Of course, silly!” said the other Pinkie. “Wouldn't you?”

“Apparently so,” said Pinkie.

“Also if I hated you then I'd almost be hating myself,” said the other Pinkie. “And it's not like we have giant self-esteem issues or anything.” She gave a mock nervous giggle, which quickly turned into proper laughter, and Pinkie laughed with her.

“Oh, yeah!” said the other Pinkie while they were washing up and the sweets were baking. “Your friends might be a bit sad tomorrow. They all have to meet dead ponies, too, and they might be having less fun than we are. So you need to be around to make sure they don't get too down.”

“And give them sweets!” said Pinkie.

“That too.”

“Yes ma'am, Miss Pinkie Pie!” Pinkie saluted.

*

Author's Note:

Hold on, are the Pinkies shipping TwiLuna?

Comments ( 11 )

“Not unless you have a stallion hidden away upstairs,” said the other Pinkie.

“Nuhuh,” said Pinkie. “Just some crayons and a roll of tape. And I bet you'd just find them uncomfortable, 'cause I –”

I don't know if I want to know what Pinkie tried to do with crayons... :pinkiegasp:

Oh man, this was simultaneously hilarious, dark, confusing AND sad.
Well done. Well done indeed.

What the derp! I KNOW I faved this! ARRRRRGH! :flutterrage:

This fic kind of needs an epilogue -- maybe even with a friendship letter at the end of it to Celestia.

4761492

Yeah. If I can find the time I'm going to try and put together a decent framing device -- prologue and epilogue -- for this in the next couple of weeks.

Comment posted by The Yaoi Mistress deleted Jul 30th, 2014

I think that was future Pinkie o.o

And this is basically the concept of the mexican festivity: "Dia de los muertos" except we party and talk to dead family members in a philosophical/spiritual sense.

And when RD realize that Firefly is death is not going to be pretty... you have my fav!

Hello! I'm IncoherentOrange of WRITE, and I'm here to review your story, as requested. I usually focus on mechanics, though I'll do my best to give you feedback about what you asked I look at. This'll be quite short, as the story itself is not very lengthy and I have pretty much no grammatical fixes that I can ramble about.

Your tale is already highly-regarded, and it appears to be deserving of that; no noticeable recurring grammatical flaws, a structure that's (usually, as a rare paragraph will drag on a little) easy on the eyes, and that it comes in bite-sized, sort of vignette-esque pieces makes it accessible to more casual readers. All of that around a novel concept. I agree with other readers that it would benefit somewhat from an epilogue, if you feel like adding one after such a long while.

It's clear to me that you know how to write interesting interactions and complimentary characters, though sometimes they could use a little bit more description, and there are occasional instances of slightly-jarring (that I wouldn't really have noticed had I not been looking for it, which is an indication that there's not too much) tell-y stuff as opposed to the good show-y stuff, if you know what I mean. Stuff like this:

Rainbow Dash felt distinctly uncomfortable.

Could be explained a little bit more interestingly, don't you think?

The occasional "adult" situations aren't particularly fitting, but that is certainly and purely subjective on my part. However, those are the only problems I can detect, and any further assistance is likely beyond my capabilities. Regardless, I hope that I could provide some insight.

~IncoherentOrange

5297901

You certainly have given me some insight. Thank you for the review -- I really appreciate it.

A very good story. The journey and the telling of it were wonderful but I agree with others: It needs an epilogue. Something to let them come to terms with the event and grieve a little.

And I agree with 4761492. A letter would be great, but I think Rainbow Dash should be writing it, perhaps to Gilda. Her realizing what Firefly couldn't say would be devastating.

Login or register to comment